PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for helping my nephew (10) with the growing process?

JackintheBox
September 14th, 2019, 08:52 AM
My 10 year old nephew is growing out his hair. He is currently mired in the awkward stage, but his hair grows really fast and Im not sure he'll be stuck there much more than a couple months before a ponytail becomes a legitimate option. Don't know if anyone has any tips that might be useful? My sister isn't a big fan, and while she helps him with combing etc. she's not motivated nor is she skilled (short hair and has 3 boys) so I've been helping out when I'm around.

cjk
September 14th, 2019, 09:05 AM
If it can't yet be a ponytail, think twists or braids. Or bobby pins. Or even a headband.

If he wants to grow it out, and his mom is permitting it (hey, 10 years old) then you need to help make the process as painless as possible.

What is his personal style? And his texture might help, too. For instance, I've seen little black boys with neat cornrows, as they grow out length. And skater boys with mops in front of their eyes. All sorts of options!

JackintheBox
September 14th, 2019, 09:13 AM
What is his personal style? And his texture might help, too.

Fair question. He's part asian (dad's side) but has hair that looks almost 100% asian, so thick and straight. He's pretty active which I think is the main thing that causes problems for him. Headbands are tolerated sometimes at present, but I'm not sure they'll get the job done, at least when he's active in the near future.

cjk
September 14th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Does he have a favorite athlete? Movie hero? Singer? Maybe he's a fan of the show Vikings?

Give us more information.

Just looked up braids for asians and came up with this.

https://i.imgur.com/99DAH8L.png

neko_kawaii
September 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Does he WANT to do anything with it besides have it long and loose? If he isn’t bothered by the awkward stage, why should anyone else be?

My son’s hair is almost waist length. He wears it down all the time unless required to have it contained for safety reasons. I try to remember to help him braid it for bed to prevent sleep tangles. I sometimes manage to slip in a leave in when combing his hair after washing it but it took ages to find something he liked the smell of, and that was mostly down to him outgrowing sensitivity to smells.

lapushka
September 14th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Does he WANT to do anything with it besides have it long and loose? If he isn’t bothered by the awkward stage, why should anyone else be?

Yes this ^^. If it doesn't bother him, I would not try and talk him into styling it. If he just wants it out and loose, that's fine. Maybe recommend some good tools to mom, like a Tangle Teezer or a Wet Brush. Those are awesome, especially if he hates having it combed/brushed and mom needs to get the job done!