PDA

View Full Version : For those who have grown out bangs..

longhairdreamee
September 11th, 2019, 09:13 AM
My bangs are currently at chin length (they were above eyebrows back in feb). I am attempting to grow them out, but oh my goodness, they get greasy SO FAST. Today is day 2 hair and they mostly just look really shiney today, but I am betting tomorrow they're icky and I will need to use dry shampoo. I know that you should only use dry shampoo one time in between wash days. Do you think washing my bangs every couple days (in the sink, not my entire head) will damage these too much? Or should I try to clip them back instead? The only issue with that is they are so slippery that even bobby pins don't stay in long, they always slide out within minutes of securing the bobby pins, and then I feel like I am causing damage the the rest of my hair. I can't wait for these to grow out long enough to be put back into my bun lol

Joules
September 11th, 2019, 10:33 AM
I'll never get tired of saying this: learn to French braid :D

As an experienced grower of bangs I can say that nothing can compare to French braids when it comes to containing short pieces of hair. Clips, bobby pins and headbands can only do so much, especially when your bangs are at that awkward level where they're really long but still not long enough to be put into a bun with the rest of the hair.

I guess washing it would be fine too, as long as you're gentle and not blowfrying them afterwards. But still, in my opinion (and experience) French braiding is the perfect solution for everything.

Hiyotoris
September 11th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I also second french braiding.
I'm also a sucker for tucking them behind my ears too!

unheardletters
September 11th, 2019, 02:46 PM
I tried french braiding my hair many, many times but all the short pieces come out.

When I grew out my bangs I used clips to hold them. Bobby pins don’t hold my hair well.

My mom recently grew out her bangs and she used headbands.

longhairdreamee
September 11th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Maybe I will look into head bands! I am the same and my hair slides out of the french braids, too. and maybe an inch short of staying behind my ears really well.

Hasse
September 11th, 2019, 03:56 PM
I've been growing out patches of shaven hair (due to brain surgery) for the last two years and I found dutch braids hold short pieces better than french braids. Aloe vera or some other type of gel was also helpful to contain it better for the duration of the day.

Lady Stardust
September 11th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I just tuck it behind my ears. That way I’m not touching it all the time so it doesn’t get greasy as quickly. I do have to wash my hair frequently anyway, but the less you touch it the less greasy it will be.

Twig
September 11th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I sprayed my bobbies with dry shampoo. I had the slippery bang thing going on too. It seemed to help.

Entangled
September 11th, 2019, 10:25 PM
I washed my bangs almost every day, and often blow dried them too! Once they get long enough to blend with your hair, you won’t notice them as much.

FlowerDance
September 11th, 2019, 11:53 PM
I definitely went through this stage while growing out my bangs. Now they're below my chin and I have no problems with them getting too greasy. It's super tempting to wash them, but I would suggest pinning them back! It won't make the problem go away by over-shampooing them, and it can damage your hair, which is the worst thing to do when you're trying to grow it out! But, depending on how often you shampoo your hair, it's okay to shampoo your bangs more often, especially if they get so greasy that it's actually dirty-looking. I would also suggest not using heat on them, and if you really need to, make sure you use a good heat protector!