PDA

View Full Version : Video: all types of preservatives

lapushka
September 9th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Parabens are discussed in this video, finally with a scientific background, so you see they are not as "monstrous" as they are touted to be.

I loved this video! Lots of science talk but it is understandable to the layperson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZ15Xi5QaY

MusicalSpoons
September 10th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Was that a typo in the title? ;)

I rarely watch videos posted here but I watched the first part where she explained parabens. I knew that was what the controversy was, but it dawned on me that maybe people want to avoid them simply because they enter the bloodstream - maybe they don't want to give their body the added burden of metabolising and exctreting it even if it's not carcinogenic, and I have read the argument that we don't know the long-term, cumulative effects of chemicals such as this. Even if they seem inert, we don't necessarily know that for sure :hmm: but on the other hand, that's why they do tests at high doses of things to establish whether there is an upper limit where something does become dangerous, and that's how they set the maximum limit for how much of certain chemicals can be in products.

Fascinating. I did not expect a scientific video to trigger a widening of my understanding of other people's personal choice :laugh: but still I do think that people should be honest about why they've made such choices and not spread misinformation. If they choose not to use parabens because they don't want them going into their bloodstream, that's fine and they should say so - don't just parrot the old 'they cause cancer' line because that's simply not true.

lapushka
September 10th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Was that a typo in the title? ;)

I rarely watch videos posted here but I watched the first part where she explained parabens. I knew that was what the controversy was, but it dawned on me that maybe people want to avoid them simply because they enter the bloodstream - maybe they don't want to give their body the added burden of metabolising and exctreting it even if it's not carcinogenic, and I have read the argument that we don't know the long-term, cumulative effects of chemicals such as this. Even if they seem inert, we don't necessarily know that for sure :hmm: but on the other hand, that's why they do tests at high doses of things to establish whether there is an upper limit where something does become dangerous, and that's how they set the maximum limit for how much of certain chemicals can be in products.

Fascinating. I did not expect a scientific video to trigger a widening of my understanding of other people's personal choice :laugh: but still I do think that people should be honest about why they've made such choices and not spread misinformation. If they choose not to use parabens because they don't want them going into their bloodstream, that's fine and they should say so - don't just parrot the old 'they cause cancer' line because that's simply not true.

Yes but I bet it all gets into the bloodstream, MusicalSpoons, not just parabens. :)

I am glad someone explained it clearly. And that it has been misinterpreted to a large extent.

And parabens are then replaced with other things, and are they investigated enough? That is my worry on this whole thing.

Other than that, I don't really look at what my products are conserved with, TBH. Only that I will keep on using my old stash. ;)

spidermom
September 10th, 2019, 09:23 AM
I think you mean "preservatives" and "preserved".

lapushka
September 10th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Yes, language glitch, sorry guys! I got confuzzled. LOL!

MusicalSpoons
September 10th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Yes but I bet it all gets into the bloodstream, MusicalSpoons, not just parabens. :)

Well, not everything is absorbed through the skin - it depends on molecule size, what solution it's in, the concentration, duration of contact, etc. (That's why some medication can be formulated to be applied via the skin and others simply cannot be.) I'm personally not too concerned though as I generally trust that cosmetics legal for sale in the EU are safe for the majority of us (i.e. those without allergies/sensitivities to particular ingredients).

Tbh I'm usually put off by these kinds of greenwashing big issues; I'm less likely to believe there's anything wrong when it's a 'pet' subject in the natural/eco communities because people are so eager to jump into misinformed bandwagons! It's often the case that there is a grain of truth (in this case, parabens were found in cancerous tissue) that's been wildly distorted and a risk completely extrapolated without any reason to do so.

Ah understandable - I get language glitches All The Time in my native language, let alone attempting a 2nd or 3rd or more! :laugh: