PDA

View Full Version : Long hair, campfires, and hats

CherryFrizz
September 9th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I like to go camping and build campfires. However, I have realized that my usual camping hairstyle, a single English braid, is now long enough to potentially fall into the fire as I lean over it.

I wear an English braid so I can wear a sun hat during the day, and sleep in the braid at night. I only redo the braid once a day, which is convenient.

Are there any hairstyles that allow a hat to come off and on easily, but keep your hair out of the way? I'm wondering if I can, somehow, braid my hair back up into itself, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks!

jane_marie
September 9th, 2019, 02:35 PM
My hair is nowhere near that long but is it possible for you to do a tucked French braid maybe?

Kalamazoo
September 9th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Bobby-pin the braid into a bun.

neko_kawaii
September 9th, 2019, 03:04 PM
A braided bun low on the nape is quite secure and will accommodate most hats.

spidermom
September 9th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Drop the braid down the back of your shirt.

HaMalka
September 9th, 2019, 04:39 PM
If your braid is long enough you can tie it to a belt.

You could tie knots in your braid or crochet braid it to shorten it.

CopperButterfly
September 9th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Drop the braid down the back of your shirt. This is a really good idea. I'm going to try this for my workouts where my braid falls forward when I'm doing things like plank or push ups.

On another note, is your braid long enough to pin it to your head? I think that would not add too much bulk for a hat to fit over, though I could be wrong. Spidermom's idea is probably the easiest and simplest solution.

Seeshami
September 9th, 2019, 07:06 PM
There are many wonderful visor inspired sun protectors that are topless for buns.

Completely random, witch hats work well too. Wide brimmed and plenty of space for a bun.

Ligeia Noire
September 9th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Like Neko said a braided bun or even just a bun starting at your nape can work with a hat. That's what I do to hike and my hats fit fine. Besides no dangers of the loose braid getting caught or falling in the pit.

CherryFrizz
September 9th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Drop the braid down the back of your shirt.

Yes! That's sooo simple, and would work so well!

I definitely can't fit even a french braid under a hat, unless it's a stretchy toque/beanie (big head, maybe?). I might play around with making a bun out of the braid - I'm curious if that would fit under a hat.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

P.S. - The idea of wearing a witch hat out in the woods amuses me. Especially if I can stir a cast iron pot over the fire. "double, double toil and trouble..."

Seeshami
September 10th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Twice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Still totally random, the brim of most witch hats might singe a little when you blow into a fire pit of coals and such to get it going.

Maybe from personal experience and maybe just random but not every witch in the woods knows how to tend the fire. :rolling:

Simsy
September 11th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I used to use 4 English braids wrapped around my head; Heidi/milkmaid style. It worked quite well and a hat fit over the braids with only a little effort. You could also tie a scarf around the entire ensemble to keep the braid up and safe.

CherryFrizz
September 11th, 2019, 10:27 PM
I used to use 4 English braids wrapped around my head; Heidi/milkmaid style. It worked quite well and a hat fit over the braids with only a little effort. You could also tie a scarf around the entire ensemble to keep the braid up and safe.

Milkmaid braids are an intriguing idea. I find multiple braids more comfortable than one, and seeing as I typically remove the hat to work on the fire (sunhats have the same problem as Seeshami's witches hats :), I could clip the braids up. More effort than using my shirt, but a good option.

But, what really intrigues me is using 4 braids for milkmaid braids! How do you do that? I can imagine two hanging down your back, and coiled up each side, but where do the other 2 braids come in?

Simsy
September 14th, 2019, 02:31 AM
Milkmaid braids are an intriguing idea. I find multiple braids more comfortable than one, and seeing as I typically remove the hat to work on the fire (sunhats have the same problem as Seeshami's witches hats :), I could clip the braids up. More effort than using my shirt, but a good option.

But, what really intrigues me is using 4 braids for milkmaid braids! How do you do that? I can imagine two hanging down your back, and coiled up each side, but where do the other 2 braids come in?

No hanging braids at all; I used these for work so everything had to be up so it couldn’t catch on stuff. I start with 4 English braids, one behind each ear and one on either side of a center part; all along the back hairline. It will also work with a combination of Dutch/French braids from center front to behind the ear; and English/French/Dutch down the back on either side of the center part.

Cross the two middle braids over each other, then the two outer braids cross in the same spot. I do a small basket weave crossing; just for a bit of interest and to help everything sit reasonably flat. Once all the braids are crossed in the back; just wrap them around the head. I found doing a pair at a time worked well, wrapping a braid from each side and securing them to each other and the scalp. The 2nd pair can then attach to the first pair. It looks like a wide braided headband once it’s all up.

CherryFrizz
September 15th, 2019, 09:57 PM
No hanging braids at all; I used these for work so everything had to be up so it couldn’t catch on stuff. I start with 4 English braids, one behind each ear and one on either side of a center part; all along the back hairline. It will also work with a combination of Dutch/French braids from center front to behind the ear; and English/French/Dutch down the back on either side of the center part.

Cross the two middle braids over each other, then the two outer braids cross in the same spot. I do a small basket weave crossing; just for a bit of interest and to help everything sit reasonably flat. Once all the braids are crossed in the back; just wrap them around the head. I found doing a pair at a time worked well, wrapping a braid from each side and securing them to each other and the scalp. The 2nd pair can then attach to the first pair. It looks like a wide braided headband once it’s all up.

Thank you! I'm going to try this - it sounds like it would lay flatter than the 2 braid milkmaid style.