PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Back a Bit

DweamGoiL
September 9th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I didn't know where else to post this....so here goes. I have shared with some of you that I cut my hair back a bit. It wasn't a super drastic cut in my book at least, but some have asked if I would post pictures. I had wanted to reach CL for many years, and since my hair has been thinning a bit over the years, I wanted to make sure to reach this milestone before it was too late. I did :) back around May (this pic is from July):

https://i.imgur.com/CxtQ5mE.jpg

Then Summer hit. Don't get me wrong it was nice reaching this length for bragging rights, but that was about it. People outside of LHC don't much appreciate such accomplishments. I kept sitting on it, and going to the bathroom was a particular hassle particularly since I've had some digestion issues for the last couple of years (don't worry that is all I am going to say about that). I also found I wasn't able to wear it down anymore and the fact that the right side of my hair grows more slowly than the rest was also very evident. I didn't feel like investing the time to start micro-trimming to get it all one length. The not being able to wear it down and the long air drying time was really annoying though.

Funny story, I went to a pool in NOLA on a vacation and wore my hair down since I was going to have to wash it out after anyway. I got so many catty comments and darting glances from other women. One commented loud enough for my daughter to hear that I was so stupid because I was going to ruin my extensions with the chlorine. Although I didn't like the sentiment, I had to ignore it because I knew it was coming from a place of insecurity and negativity. This incident did not contribute to my decision to cut back just wanted to share it since I know many of you may not get too much support outside of LHC as I found was the case with me :grouphug:

Then, I went to the beauty shop in early July and since I was really clear with the stylist that I didn't want him going scissor happy, he ended up only cutting to HL. I had him cut some face framing layers and side bangs, which I really enjoy, but the length as he had cut it was still too much so I cut it at home to a little under WL. I really like this length. When I go back to get my bangs trimmed again, I may have him cut some layers in the back to add bounce...not sure yet, but this is how it looks now (this was this morning):

https://i.imgur.com/ok38ZEl.jpg

At this length, my hair also looks a lot fuller, which I like although if cut straight across, it tends to look a bit cape-y so I am "still living with it" and seeing how it feels in order to make a final decision. For the future, I will be maintaining at this length and most likely cutting to mid-back and then letting it crawl back down gradually. I can still wear it down whenever I want and can still wear most of my hairtoys although I am rethinking some of the larger, bulkier ones. Some are really pretty, but they give me a headache if I wear them all day and I am not sure that's what I'd like to do right now so maybe it's time to de-stash a bit when I feel up to it.

GrowingGlory
September 9th, 2019, 07:24 AM
1 - You could just gently pull the shorter hair until it has almost caught up with the rest.

2 - Maybe you are a superhero and deserve a cape!

Jas
September 9th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Hey - I'm really glad you found a length you like, you've tried going longer and it didn't work for you - you need to make yourself happy, not anyone else.

I do love how it looked at classic but completely understand the annoyances - and shorter it does look really really thick. It looks gorgeous any length :D

Lady Stardust
September 9th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Your hair looks stunningly beautiful, both before and after the cut. Being happy and comfortable is the most important thing. Congratulations on your new length :)

Bess3714
September 9th, 2019, 07:50 AM
I think it's hilarious that people think if your hair is long, you must have extensions. Your hair looks really pretty! If you get layers, be sure to take a picture. I want to see!
Shh, GrowingGlory, don't give away her secret identity!

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Your hair looks beautiful both before and after and it's great that you've found a length that you're happy with :)

eresh
September 9th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Do what feels good to you!
This length is still long, you can still use all your pretty hairtoys :-)

Elodea
September 9th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I totally understand this. I'm currently wanting to grow my hair to classic length for the sake of doing it (and then see if I like it enough to maintain it at that length; it's certainly possible I might decide to cut back to hip or waist) but for convenience's sake, somewhere around waist is definitely a better length for me if I want to frequently wear my hair down, which I did until about a year ago. Right now, at TBL, I can't wear it down too often because it generally gets in the way and sometimes gets tangled in various things it happens to catch on.

Thankfully I haven't really overheard any negative comments about its current length, but these days I don't wear it loose that often.

lapushka
September 9th, 2019, 12:11 PM
At this length, my hair also looks a lot fuller, which I like although if cut straight across, it tends to look a bit cape-y so I am "still living with it" and seeing how it feels in order to make a final decision. For the future, I will be maintaining at this length and most likely cutting to mid-back and then letting it crawl back down gradually. I can still wear it down whenever I want and can still wear most of my hairtoys although I am rethinking some of the larger, bulkier ones. Some are really pretty, but they give me a headache if I wear them all day and I am not sure that's what I'd like to do right now so maybe it's time to de-stash a bit when I feel up to it.

It looks great!

How's it going with updos. If I cut shorter than hip, I know I can forget buns. So I keep it classic length and that gives me a repertoire of 2 buns, maybe 3 (LWB, Nautilus and cinnabun).

Finding the length you're most comfortable at is sometimes a whole journey onto itself.

I'm glad you're happy with your length, that is the most important! :flower:

MoonRabbit
September 9th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Before and after both look very lovely.

I can relate to this as well. Classic is a very magical length to reach but even after reaching it 3 months ago I still have not fully got the grip of it. It seems to tangle more, my ends are a disaster. Honestly it has been nothing but a struggle so far.

BerrySara
September 9th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Your hair looks stunning at either length, no doubt. I can definitely see it is fuller and more voluminous at your current length and its quite the impressive mane to wear down :o

Indeed silly that people assume you must have been wearing extensions (though nowadays I can see why some would mistakenly make that assumption given that extensions are so commonly used these days) but more so its completely unnecessary to say anything out loud regarding it even if the chlorine does ruin the extensions or not.

Nox_Inber
September 9th, 2019, 01:07 PM
It's so frustrating when strangers give "the look" and you know they're judging you harshly. Then I realized that it was a gift in disguise, strangers were basically making it known to me that they're close minded and judgemental and that I needn't waste my time on them. I'd like to think long hair has that effect - it's an instant idiot detector lol!

With that being said, I'm glad that you're back to a length you feel happy with :D Now you can wear it down whenever you want with less hassle and it still looks fantastic :)

Dung Beetle
September 9th, 2019, 02:02 PM
A very interesting and inspiring thread! I've been asking myself lately what my goals are and why...the answers keep changing.

Groovy Granny
September 9th, 2019, 03:46 PM
It looks very pretty...before and after; I understand as I have done it myself (a few times now lol). Enjoy!! :heart:

Bess3714
September 9th, 2019, 04:49 PM
It's so frustrating when strangers give "the look" and you know they're judging you harshly. Then I realized that it was a gift in disguise, strangers were basically making it known to me that they're close minded and judgemental and that I needn't waste my time on them. I'd like to think long hair has that effect - it's an instant idiot detector lol!

Haha! Long hair has so many benefits!

Aroha
September 9th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Stunning hair. I am glad you enjoying it. I hope mine may look similar one day. Thank you for sharing your story.

DweamGoiL
September 9th, 2019, 07:19 PM
It looks great!

How's it going with updos. If I cut shorter than hip, I know I can forget buns. So I keep it classic length and that gives me a repertoire of 2 buns, maybe 3 (LWB, Nautilus and cinnabun).

Finding the length you're most comfortable at is sometimes a whole journey onto itself.

I'm glad you're happy with your length, that is the most important! :flower:

I was worried about it as well, but I can do my usual cinnabun. I don't think I can figure 8 and lazy wrap might be a challenge, but I can definitely put it up.

lithostoic
September 9th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Very pretty! I'm at BCL and thinking of taking off a few inches.

Groovy Granny
September 9th, 2019, 09:11 PM
wrong thread

YvetteVarie
September 10th, 2019, 01:24 AM
As long as you are happy with your length, that what really matters to us here. Your hair is beautiful at both lengths too

Spikey
September 10th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Oooo it does look thicker now! Glad you feel good about this cut, it's always nice to see happy haircutting threads :)

Liz_H
September 10th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Your hair always looks great! Glad it's more comfortable for you now.

JackintheBox
September 10th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Glad you're happy with the cut. That can be scary (from experience) but it looks great.

zashin66
September 11th, 2019, 04:38 AM
This is a very interesting thread. It helps open thoughts about my hair goals where I might be stuck in only growing because once upon a time I said I was gonna grow to this length or that length. I get a chance to reapply dreams to a goal, reaffirming or changing. So officially, my hair goal is still to the soles of my feet. I applaud everyone who realistically stop at a length where they get the most enjoyment from their "hobby".

lapushka
September 12th, 2019, 04:36 PM
I was worried about it as well, but I can do my usual cinnabun. I don't think I can figure 8 and lazy wrap might be a challenge, but I can definitely put it up.

That's the most important! :)