PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting over. Shaving my head. Any advice?

That Purple Guy
September 8th, 2019, 08:09 AM
I've thought about it for a while and decided the best thing I can do (to have my hair the way I want it) is to just start over. Anyone ever done this? Any advice you could offer based on your experience?

I want to have a head full of long hair at the same length with NO baby hairs causing all the frizz trouble I'd always get. Anything you can do while bald (then short, then medium) to help keep everything consistently healthy / avoid breakage?

Also for the men in the room, any good beard stuff you recommend? Along with my head I'm gonna start over with my facial hair too. Experiment with having a full beard for the first time~ :{D

jane_marie
September 8th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I completely shaved my head about 3-4 years ago because of mechanical damage and for emotional/psychological reasons.

As you grow it out you will not have an even hemline. You'll need a lot of transition haircuts in between. My most helpful transition haircut was a jawline bob with an undercut. I have very thick hair so no one could see that the bottom was shaved. Having it like that really helped my hair grow more evenly out of the bob without that mullet look.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do your going to have baby hair that frizz out. That's partially mechanical damage but also a part of the process you head goes through as your hair is growing. You are always going to shed hair and then get shorter hairs where there is regrowth.

If your hair just has a bit of frizz I might reconsider shaving it all back. If you don't have huge bleach or heat induced damage issue it could be that some extra conditioning treatments could help alleviate the problem. Even if your hair does have major damage a one ore two inch cut could do wonders.

Anyway, having a shaved head was okay. My hair has grown from there to just under bra strap length in 3-4 years with regular transition cuts but if you want your hair long you should consider other options. :)

That Purple Guy
September 8th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Well it's kinda too late now because I got so tired of the uneven lengths everywhere that I ended up cutting off everything that wasn't the length of my longest hairs, and now I realize 'Well crap, now my hair isn't going to look as full because I cut off all the medium hairs in my crusade against baby hairs,' lol

I'll have to look up what you mean by transition cuts; I'm a visual guy~

Hmm, okay so if we're always going to have baby hairs, what do people do to keep them down? I've considered gel but then I thought 'ehh that's probably gonna cause damage or something.' Any goop that'll get those bastards to stay down? >:{3

lapushka
September 8th, 2019, 08:56 AM
The reason our hair never falls out in one go is that hairs are separately constantly growing at various speeds. This accounts for the unevenness. Hair is never *all* even. I would think about it before you shave it off, though.

I mean why do it?

jane_marie
September 8th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Well it's kinda too late now because I got so tired of the uneven lengths everywhere that I ended up cutting off everything that wasn't the length of my longest hairs, and now I realize 'Well crap, now my hair isn't going to look as full because I cut off all the medium hairs in my crusade against baby hairs,' lol

I'll have to look up what you mean by transition cuts; I'm a visual guy~

Hmm, okay so if we're always going to have baby hairs, what do people do to keep them down? I've considered gel but then I thought 'ehh that's probably gonna cause damage or something.' Any goop that'll get those bastards to stay down? >:{3

I think a lot of people here use aloe vera gel. I could be wrong.

CuteCrow
September 8th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Are you sure you want to shave your head? You have to take into account that it'll take around two years for your hair to be back at a length where you can actually style it. You'll most likely go through various awkward stages again (I'm assuming you had short hair before). "transition haircuts refer to those haircuts you get done to make these awkward phases more bearable. The bad side about it is that the more cuts you get the longer it'll take to grow your hair back. Also, most men with long hair I've known always thought their hair grew fast but it was average or slightly above average. When your hair is shorter it always seems to grow faster.

Also, a couple of considerations:
- You can't get rid of baby hairs (unless you shave them?), but to prevent confusion baby hairs are those that frame our face. these hairs never grow past a certain length. the only way to tame these is gel. The gel is not damaging per se but you'd want to get one without drying alcohol (Alcohol denat, Ethanol, SD alcohol 40, Propanol, Isopropyl, and Propyl) VO5 mega hold styling gel is an example that is widely available.

- But I'm guessing here that by baby hairs you actually refer to the frizzy hair on the top of your head? these can also be a couple of things.

New grow. As lapushka explained not all our hair grows at the same time, and the new growth is always going to sort of pop up. You can handle this like the baby hairs with a bit of gel and avoiding brushing or touching your hair too much when it's dry so you don't make it frizzier.
Mechanical damage. If you tie your hair with normal elastic bands that can cause the outer layer to break. shaving your hair is not going to fix this unless you change your practices. I'd recommend using hair sticks, scrunchies, wire ties, bandanas and changing your hairstyle once a while so your ponytail is not always at the same spot.

- Lastly, reading your other post I'm feeling like you actually have wavy/curly hair. These baby hairs you talk about might be just the normal frizz of 'uncared' curly hair. I think a look at the curly girl method would help most of your problems. This is the curly thread here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) and an external link to the curly girl method (https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair#!slide1)

GrowingGlory
September 8th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I've done this a few times and really liked it. It feels fresh and new. It is so nice to go to the gym and shower and wash my hair as often as I like. And I resolve to grow out a healthier, less damaged head of terminal length hair. And then I do it!

neko_kawaii
September 8th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Meh, transition cuts are for people who feel the need to present to observers that they aren’t “neglecting” themselves by always having a crisp haircut. I don’t remember my hair looking strange when my shave grew out. It looked like short hair. It wasn’t a bowl cut or a bob, it was short.

cjk
September 8th, 2019, 10:40 AM
If you actually mean shaved, I would love to discuss razors and lathers.

Done properly it is wonderfully exfoliating and can be almost sensual.

I'm excited for you!

Groovy Granny
September 8th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Unless your hair is a sleek texture by nature you will never be sleek.......and you will always have new growth ...that's a GOOD thing :thumbsup:

I am fine/wispy silver and love BIOSILK serum; just a few drops rubbed in your palms then smoothed over your hair works great.

For special occasions and stubborn hair I sometimes spritz with hairspray them pass a BBB through it and it blends the new growth in beautifully.

You won't win the battle and most of the time now I just style my hair, treat what bothers me, and then ignore the mirror :p

You don't say how long your hair is now or what the texture is; that would help us help you.

lapushka
September 8th, 2019, 12:45 PM
You don't say how long your hair is now or what the texture is; that would help us help you.

Yes or if you already did shave it?

milosmomma
September 8th, 2019, 02:32 PM
I dont think I would shave it I were in your position. You will always have hairs of different lengths and as mentioned before these are usually a good sign. If it's due to damage or some other personal reason then yes by all means go for it. I am just thinking you are trying to "fix" new growth hairs and unevenness by shaving and it's not actually going to fix it because that's just how hair grows. Curly hair methods are great for getting your hair to clump together and be less frizzy, maybe give some of those methods a try before committing to a chop? You can always cut later but it takes many years to grow long. Best of luck and happy growing :)

That Purple Guy
September 8th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Sorry had to leave for work. Still got hair on my head, haha~ I ordered some hats to try out, so when they get here I’ma shave my head and face clean, then just ‘let it do it’s thing.’ Not gonna touch my scissors or razors for a long time.

Eh, part of WHY I’m doing it is as a guy, I’ve not cared or learned the proper ways to maintain long hair. Most dudes rock it short and that’s it. But now, after making all kinds of beginners mistakes and knowing all kinds of stuff about my hair (years of damage, neglect, the time I worked in a brutal kitchen job for five years, and generally not having/doing the smart thing in regards to hair)—It would make me feel much better to know that I started over FRESH and used my new knowledge to make it end up better than my first go.

I’ve got 17 inches on length in the back, but my hairstyle is really dumb and done by myself instead of letting a pro touch it. There’s uneven parts that I thought would work out cutting them to that style, but I’ve done enough damage from my years of ignorance alone, let alone how I screwed up cutting it all the time—thinking ‘I’LL STOP THE FRIZZ BY JUST CUTTING ERRYTHANG BUT THE LONG HAIRS’ xD

I probably won’t do transition cuts then, since I really don’t care how I’m perceived by others. I’ll wear a hat to avoid looking like Toe Rogan for a while, and probably continue to wear one during the short and medium stages. Haha, part of me actually enjoys wearing hats so it’ll work out just fine.

Yeah I am a little bit wavy (and average thickness of the hairs) so I’ll definitely take a look at your product recommendations for keeping those annoying little hairs down.

My co-worker (who goes to salon school) has convinced me to switch to Paul Mitchell’s lavender mint shampoo and conditioner (because I’m guessing part of my frizz is due to a lack of moisture), so I’ve already got ‘having the good stuff’ covered in that department.

Also, my hair is a jerk. Like it’s been the SAME LENGTH for nearly ten years, never growing passed my ribs. So maybe a nice fresh start-over will make it stay healthy long enough to even be ABLE to reach my booty. Which is where I would love it to reach, frankly

Do you still put shampoo and conditioner on while bald/buzzed? It’ll feel funny I’m sure xD

Groovy Granny
September 8th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Do what makes you happy, and give yourself a fresh start.
Take what you have learned or will learn as you grow out; we can help you along the way.
It will all grow back...healthier and thicker this time :cheer:

I guess for your scalp, use what cleanser you do for your shower, until you have hair to manage and then use what your HAIR needs :hmm: