PDA

View Full Version : Does oil build up on ends?

ZoeZ
September 5th, 2019, 10:16 AM
I use olive oil after every shampoo - quite generously as I don't have to worry about it looking greasy, I wear it up in a claw clip every day. I've noticed that the last few shampoos the ends (about a quarter-inch) feel a little crispy. I have very few splits and don't generally trim very often (about once, maybe twice a year). Otherwise, my hair is quite healthy, virgin grey, APL.

Thanks for any ideas.

Zoe.

The-Young-Maid
September 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Assuming nothing else in your routine has changed then yes it is oil buildup. Just clarify when you start to notice crispy ends. Oil creates a barrier that seals in moisture. When oil builds up on ends it starts to lock out moisture, leading to dry crispy ends.

Zesty
September 5th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Yep, I'd clarify as needed. What shampoo/other products are you using, out of curiosity?

(Also idk if Zoe is your real name, but hello and welcome from a fellow Zoe who has always wished for a Z last name. :waving: )

MusicalSpoons
September 5th, 2019, 12:05 PM
It can do. Do you shampoo just the roots, letting it run through your hair when you rinse, or do you actively shampoo all of your hair? If you usually shampoo only the roots (as is all most of us need to do) then try shampooing the ends as well, just once or twice, to see if that helps :) Otherwise yes you might need a proper clarifying shampoo.

lapushka
September 5th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Joining the clarifying bandwagon here as well, if you don't already; because we don't know. What's your routine like? :)

ZoeZ
September 5th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, ladies :)

MusicalSpoons that's exactly what I do, so I'll shampoo the ends and see how that goes.

My routine is, shampoo, condition, rinse the scalp and then condition the ends as a leave-in (I used to leave the first conditioner in as a leave-in, but developed funny bumps and buildup on my scalp, they've disappeared since I rinse my scalp now) - and then oil from the ears down after towelling.

I've been looking for a clarifying shampoo in my local supermarket and pharma but gave up after looking through the dizzying array of products - there are so many brands out there and I really don't want to spend a lot of money trying different brands without any idea if they'll be good for my hair. So have been reluctant to try the clarifying route.

Yeah Zesty, my name is Zoe and my last name begins with a z as well, lol. ZZ is my nick!

NicoleJean
September 6th, 2019, 02:09 AM
I rotate between a regular moisturizing shampoo and a co wash every other time I wash. Using a regular shampoo every other time is enough to keep product build up under control and using a co wash the other time prevents over drying. This routine has worked really well for me. I found if I use a regular shampoo that strips oil every time that my ends start getting a lot dryer. I feel like rotating with a co wash still gets my scalp clean but gives my ends a break. I use a mask after every wash regardless of which shampoo I use and once dry I use oil on the ends. My hair is actually in really good condition despite the lower 75% of my hair having been flat ironed about 4 times a week up until I stopped all together about a year and half ago.

lapushka
September 6th, 2019, 03:02 AM
My routine is, shampoo, condition, rinse the scalp and then condition the ends as a leave-in (I used to leave the first conditioner in as a leave-in, but developed funny bumps and buildup on my scalp, they've disappeared since I rinse my scalp now) - and then oil from the ears down after towelling.

I've been looking for a clarifying shampoo in my local supermarket and pharma but gave up after looking through the dizzying array of products - there are so many brands out there and I really don't want to spend a lot of money trying different brands without any idea if they'll be good for my hair. So have been reluctant to try the clarifying route.

If you wash with a sulfate shampoo, all you really need to do is wash your ends with it, that's all, and it will do the trick. :) Not that the clarifying shampoos don't have more power (some might), but it will probably help!

ZoeZ
September 6th, 2019, 07:42 AM
NicoleJean, that sounds like a good system - I have the feeling that my hair is a little on the dry side and I've been wanting to try the co-wash method.

Lapushka, I washed the ends thoroughly and that did help - I may have to do it once or twice more to get rid. Thanks.