PDA

View Full Version : Gaining weight non stop. Supplements to blame?

NicoleJean
September 3rd, 2019, 05:49 AM
Please help! I started taking 5,000 biotin and 1,000 MSM in Middle February 2019. The past 6 months I keep gaining and gaining weight despite eating and exercising the same. Some of my clothes is starting to get tight and barely close. Every time I weigh myself it seems like I've gained. I am 36 years old and have never gained weight this rapidly before. The only change I've made in the past 6 months is adding these supplements. I just read some people react bad to MSM and gain weight due to bloating and water retention.

Has anyone else experienced this side effect from either biotin or MSM? I'm seriously considering quitting them even though I do believe they help my hair growth.

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2019, 06:58 AM
The only way to find out for sure is to stop. Are they separate or combined? You could stop only one for two or three months and see if that makes a difference, then if not stop the other. It would not surprise me though, those are both pretty potent supplements and usually have noticeable effects on the body whether they help your hair/nails or not.

Suortuva
September 3rd, 2019, 07:15 AM
I'm sure I have read some other members have gained weight because of biotin.

I know that MSM can cause stomach problems if the dose is too high. I would try with a lower dose. I have sometimes heard that you should start MSM with a (very) low dose, and go gradually higher, and when the stomach issues starts you know it's too much. So at that point you lower the dose a bit and know you have find the optimal dose for yourself.

cestlavie
September 3rd, 2019, 07:31 AM
I have been experiencing the same. I take 3 grams of MSM powder with vitamin C (1 month in) and have gained weight as well but my eating and exercise habits didn't change. I will stop taking MSM for a while to see what happens. :(

Nini
September 3rd, 2019, 07:44 AM
Might be worth considering a trip to the doc for a check up too.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2019, 09:17 AM
I have "heard", so this is not fact, that biotin can cause weight gain in some people.

Joules
September 3rd, 2019, 12:12 PM
I have gained quite a lot of weight due to biotin. Never lost it.

I just started taking msm and this thread is scaring me :D

Kalamazoo
September 3rd, 2019, 12:40 PM
Questions: Does the weight gain appear to be muscle or fat? How are your measurements (bust/waist/hip circumference) doing?

AutobotsAttack
September 3rd, 2019, 01:00 PM
Supplements tend to act on ghrelin and leptin hormones. These are the hormones responsible for appetite and appetite suppression. The supplements in and of themselves do not contain macro nutrients that the body breaks down and either uses for energy or stores as unused energy. In is basic math concerning weight gain and weight loss. Calories in vs. calories out. Your individual nasal metabolic rate is what your body burns just to stay alive and be at maintenance. If you eat less than this you will lose weight, if you eat more than that you will gain weight.

Eating and exercising the same will not mean that you won’t gain weight. You need to train in such a way to provoke an adaptation reaction which will lead to a gradual increase in muscle mass, which will increase your basal metabolic rate leading to further weight loss. Or create a caloric deficit large enough to still lose weight.

Even though you may think you’re eating the same, visible weight gain proves that to be not correct. We all tend to think we are eating relatively the same amount of calories, but again, basic math and calories in vs. calories will reveal to us just how much we are or or not eating. It’s up to us to really see just how much we eat. If you aren’t actively measuring or weighing out every last gram of food, you are basically guessing or estimating how much you eat. That’s not to say the supplements aren’t causing an increase in appetite. If they are then I think it would be safe to say you could stop using them if you wanted to. But once again, it is it the actual supplements themselves causing this perceived weight gain, but how they interact with your body and hormones, and how they affect your appetite.

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2019, 01:16 PM
Interesting. There are medications that act on neurotransmitters in such a way that they cause your body to store the energy rather than use it (hello, amitriptyline) but I can't remember how exactly*. Is it possible supplements could also have an effect that way?

[*I read about it back when I still had some intelligence left and could understand what I was reading at the time, but the brainfog meant I already couldn't retain the details of new concepts very well.]

DarleneH
September 3rd, 2019, 01:26 PM
Weight gain happened to me when my hormones started dropping. All else in my life had been the same, and I've taken biotin too with no weight gain. It was 100% hormones for me, and not even calories. I was eating & exercising the same but still gaining.

NicoleJean
September 3rd, 2019, 03:22 PM
Weight gain happened to me when my hormones started dropping. All else in my life had been the same, and I've taken biotin too with no weight gain. It was 100% hormones for me, and not even calories. I was eating & exercising the same but still gaining.

Iím wondering also if it may be my age and changing hormones or the supplements. I know Iím not eating more than usual on a regular basis because I eat a pretty controlled diet and mostly same things everyday.

I started getting migraines for the first time about a year ago and doctor told me it was likely due to hormonal changes from aging :(
So could possibly be reason for sudden weight gain too. I hope not though. I hope itís just the supplements!

NicoleJean
September 3rd, 2019, 03:26 PM
So Iím going to go off the MSM starting today since my bottle is almost empty. Iíll update here about my weight if itís changed since stopping.

I just bought another 3 months worth of biotin so Iíll stay on that until that bottle is finished than if I still havenít lost weight Iíll try stopping that too.

Thank you everyone for your experiences and information. Seems like people have mixed results so Iíll have to experiment: Iím pretty happy with were my length is at right now so I wonít be upset if I have to
Quit the supplements.

Wendyclaire
September 3rd, 2019, 04:20 PM
I canít tolerate much biotin as it gives me intestinal pains and distress. Iíve never used MSM. Iíd try hydrolyzed collagen. Itís great for joints, skin and hair.

NicoleJean
September 3rd, 2019, 06:35 PM
I canít tolerate much biotin as it gives me intestinal pains and distress. Iíve never used MSM. Iíd try hydrolyzed collagen. Itís great for joints, skin and hair.

Wow thank you for this info. I guess I should research my supplements better. Iíve Been having a ton of stomach cramping and stomach burning for first time ever last few months which has been interfering with going out of the house. I wonder if itís the biotin.

I think I need to cut back with the supplements. Iím starting to think more is not always better.

Nini
September 3rd, 2019, 06:49 PM
More is a waste of money if you're not in need of what you're adding to your body. Plus some combinations just plain aren't good for you.

If your diet is fairly well balanced you're probably not lacking much of anything to begin with.

Wendyclaire
September 3rd, 2019, 06:52 PM
Yes the intestinal stuff kind of snuck up on me. Iíd ordered the wrong supplement but I thought Iíd try it anyway. Took about 2 to 3 weeks to start having symptoms so I stopped taking it and went back to normal. Sorry youíre going through this. Itís miserable!

AutobotsAttack
September 3rd, 2019, 06:57 PM
Interesting. There are medications that act on neurotransmitters in such a way that they cause your body to store the energy rather than use it (hello, amitriptyline) but I can't remember how exactly*. Is it possible supplements could also have an effect that way?

[*I read about it back when I still had some intelligence left and could understand what I was reading at the time, but the brainfog meant I already couldn't retain the details of new concepts very well.]

To an extent they could, but again, itís important to know who these studies are being conducted on concerning how medication reacts with neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are and behave very similarly to hormones. Unless thereís is someone constantly monitoring neurotransmissions/synapses, along with any notable hormone fluctuations, itís save to say that both neurotransmitters and their functions involving hormones follow specific pathways. They play off of eachother as well.

again, it is important to note the physical activity of the individual, and if they are trained (years or months worth of weight training and conditioning), or untrained/sedentary. It also depends on the amount of the amount of muscle mass a person has, because increased muscle mass is a very big driving force for metabolic processes. The data is going to be either flawed or contains some percent error concerning how the study conducts experiments or measurements on individuals varying on age, gender, muscle mass, fat percentage, nutrient partitioning as well as how your body partitions nutrients, chemicals, and supplements, and how well it does or does not do that.

So to an extent yes supplements can influence weight gain, but as mentioned before, a lot of the time it comes down to your metabolic processes, how quickly they take place, how much muscle mass you have, which in turns affects said metabolic processes along with hormone regulation, how much you eat, what you eat, and how frequently you eat as well.

Hedwig
September 4th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Might be worth considering a trip to the doc for a check up too.

I totally agree. I think getting your blood tested and checking which supplements you actually need as well as consulting a doctor about your sudden weight gain would be helpful. :)

lithostoic
September 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM
If you're sexually active, take a pregnancy test. Whether you're pregnant or not, see a doctor. Sudden uncontrolled weight gain could mean a tumor.

NicoleJean
September 5th, 2019, 02:32 AM
UPDATE! I canít even believe it. I am
3 days off the MSM now and have already lost 2 lbs in 3 day. I havenít changed my diet or activity level at all. If anything I have been eating bad/more because I have been at a carnival the past couple days.

I was feeling very bloated and I believe I was retaining water possibility which I read can be a side effect of the MSM. The first couple days off of MSM I felt like I was visiting the toilet very frequently. Iím sure of this because I had to keep getting up at night which is also highly unusual for me. Maybe I was getting rid of excess water that I was retaining? Regardless I have been wearing same size pants for 10+ Years but past 6 months I have been very bloated and could barely close my pants.

For now I will no longer take the MSM and see if more weight drops off with no other effort. I donít want to scare anyone but I gained 7 lbs in 6 months since I started taking it which is extremely unusual for me and I have never in my life experienced that much gain in that amount of time except when pregnant.

I do want to say though that I do believe the MSM did help my hair not shed as much and also I believe it helped increase my growth rate from .50Ē a month to .75-1Ē a month. Although it could also be because of biotin or seasonal variations so I donít have proof itís the supplements but at least I felt like it made a positive difference.

NicoleJean
September 5th, 2019, 02:38 AM
I forgot to add this is the first time Iíve weighed myself in the past 6 months and actually seen it go down!

I hope itís just side effects from the supplement and nothing more complicated.

Thank you everyone for the detailed responses. Iíll update again and let you know if I loose anymore weight. Still taking the biotin for now. I only wanted to eliminate one supplement at a time so I can better determine what the cause is.

Ylva
September 5th, 2019, 04:29 AM
UPDATE! I can’t even believe it. I am
3 days off the MSM now and have already lost 2 lbs in 3 day. I haven’t changed my diet or activity level at all. If anything I have been eating bad/more because I have been at a carnival the past couple days.

I was feeling very bloated and I believe I was retaining water possibility which I read can be a side effect of the MSM. The first couple days off of MSM I felt like I was visiting the toilet very frequently. I’m sure of this because I had to keep getting up at night which is also highly unusual for me. Maybe I was getting rid of excess water that I was retaining? Regardless I have been wearing same size pants for 10+ Years but past 6 months I have been very bloated and could barely close my pants.

For now I will no longer take the MSM and see if more weight drops off with no other effort. I don’t want to scare anyone but I gained 7 lbs in 6 months since I started taking it which is extremely unusual for me and I have never in my life experienced that much gain in that amount of time except when pregnant.

I do want to say though that I do believe the MSM did help my hair not shed as much and also I believe it helped increase my growth rate from .50” a month to .75-1” a month. Although it could also be because of biotin or seasonal variations so I don’t have proof it’s the supplements but at least I felt like it made a positive difference.

Yes, all of that definitely sounds like water retention.

NicoleJean
September 5th, 2019, 05:28 AM
It's funny my husband commented that maybe it's my hair adding the extra weight as it gets longer. Ha ha I wish! My hair would need to be a mile long to add that much weight.

NicoleJean
September 6th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Well I just dropped another pound today magically. The weight I gained since starting MSM is just melting off me since I stopped taking it and I have been very lazy due to hot weather so there couldn't be any other reason for such quick weight loss other than it had to be water. I'm done with the MSM for sure now. I think it made me really bloated too. I'm just going to focus on eating more fruits and vegetables to get sulfur.