PDA

View Full Version : [Help]Hair tangling and frizzy

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 02:53 PM
Hello there everyone ^_^ i'm 20 year's old almost 21 male My whole life i had short hair etc and i recently started growing it like really long and i noticed it's not that healthy it tangles up almost everytime after i wake up or if i don't use cream i wanna reach a goal where i won't need to use such things etc i want it to be naturally smooth and not tangle up and straight and i have tried argan oil and some other stuff and nothing seems to be really working much and here i am looking for help from people whom have experienced to lend me a hand.
My current hair length i'd say is about this long
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/f8/e6/fbf8e6570643de43898b7b922f04f240.jpg

Thanks in advance to everyone whom have the heart and knowledge to help out :o:o:o:o

lapushka
September 2nd, 2019, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What is your routine like? Shampooing, conditioning, frequency of washing, when you detangle, comb, brush? How?

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What is your routine like? Shampooing, conditioning, frequency of washing, when you detangle, comb, brush? How?

Never thought about it like that but i shampoo/condition it every 2 days and wash it once a day and detangling it i just brush it really that's it after the shower i wait for it to dry a bit and use hair cream
Is it bad to brush it when it's wet? or
I'm honestly a total newbie here when it comes to hair.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2019, 04:21 PM
Never thought about it like that but i shampoo/condition it every 2 days and wash it once a day and detangling it i just brush it really that's it after the shower i wait for it to dry a bit and use hair cream
Is it bad to brush it when it's wet? or
I'm honestly a total newbie here when it comes to hair.

No it is not bad to brush when wet. As long as you do it carefully. I detangle when my hair comes out the towel with a Wet Brush (dupe) and it works well for me. You also need to pay attention to the kinds of tools you use, though.

Looks like there's nothing wrong with your routine!

What cream do you put in? A curl cream? Leave-in? Those are OK. But if it is wax or hair putty, that can KNOT up!

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 04:26 PM
Hi! I'm a long haired guy, too.

Hello there everyone ^_^ i'm 20 year's old almost 21 male My whole life i had short hair etc and i recently started growing it like really long and i noticed it's not that healthy it tangles up almost everytime after i wake up or if i don't use cream i wanna reach a goal where i won't need to use such things etc i want it to be naturally smooth and not tangle up and straight and i have tried argan oil and some other stuff and nothing seems to be really working much and here i am looking for help from people whom have experienced to lend me a hand.

Okay, frizzy can be caused by a number of different things. But since you mentioned oil I'm going to take a guess. Products like silicones in shampoos and oils like argan can provide a certain slipperiness to the hair. They help keep it from tangling. BUT, they block the movement of moisture.

Frizzy, particularly if your hair is textured like wavy or curly, is usually caused by a lack of moisture. And those products block moisture.

I know it's girly sounding, but look up a method called curly-girl. It goes into WAY too much depth, but basically you strip any residues off your hair with a normal shampoo like Suave, then put on tons of conditioner to help moisturize your hair. It takes a while to get enough moisture in, but...the condition usually improves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl is also a good resource.

And you don't even need to be curly to benefit from the basic approach.

and not tangle up and straight

So you want your hair to be straight. What is it, naturally? And how are you achieving straightness? I'm going to guess heat?

Since you're young, male, and have never had anything but short hair I'm going to say these words that I hope will be helpful. You're throwing products at it, in hope that the next salve, balm, or oil will make it look the way you want. THEY WON'T!

Products are not supposed to be the solution. They're supposed to be helpful, they can be supportive...they don't GIVE you nice hair. Particularly if your natural hair doesn't already match the style you want.

As for the tangling, that happens fairly often if your hair is textured. Mine is curly. But "velcro ends" make it worse. And those are usually because of damage, split ends and the like.

Have you had a trim lately?

My current hair length i'd say is about this long

ABOUT this long? Why not post a real picture of yourself? We're very nice people and, to be frank, seeing what we are dealing with can be very helpful.

Thanks in advance to everyone whom have the heart and knowledge to help out :o:o:o:o

It's nice to meet you.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2019, 04:33 PM
ABOUT this long? Why not post a real picture of yourself? We're very nice people and, to be frank, seeing what we are dealing with can be very helpful.

I think being new can be a little intimidating, cjk. If OP decides to post a picture, which... he may not (and that's his full right of course), then a picture of the back of the head will do!

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 04:42 PM
I think being new can be a little intimidating, cjk. If OP decides to post a picture, which... he may not (and that's his full right of course), then a picture of the back of the head will do!

And some people are particularly shy about posting selfies on internet forums they just joined. I understand that!

But my point still stands. There is often a big difference, even a gaping chasm, between a "representative" photo and a real selfie. And seeing his actual hair would be so much more helpful.

@MrPandaBear, I encourage you to show us your real hair, even if it is just a back-of-the-head photo taken in the mirror.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2019, 04:55 PM
And some people are particularly shy about posting selfies on internet forums they just joined. I understand that!

But my point still stands. There is often a big difference, even a gaping chasm, between a "representative" photo and a real selfie. And seeing his actual hair would be so much more helpful.

@MrPandaBear, I encourage you to show us your real hair, even if it is just a back-of-the-head photo taken in the mirror.

Definitely agree with you on that!

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
Hi! I'm a long haired guy, too.

Okay, frizzy can be caused by a number of different things. But since you mentioned oil I'm going to take a guess. Products like silicones in shampoos and oils like argan can provide a certain slipperiness to the hair. They help keep it from tangling. BUT, they block the movement of moisture.

Frizzy, particularly if your hair is textured like wavy or curly, is usually caused by a lack of moisture. And those products block moisture.

I know it's girly sounding, but look up a method called curly-girl. It goes into WAY too much depth, but basically you strip any residues off your hair with a normal shampoo like Suave, then put on tons of conditioner to help moisturize your hair. It takes a while to get enough moisture in, but...the condition usually improves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl is also a good resource.

And you don't even need to be curly to benefit from the basic approach.

So you want your hair to be straight. What is it, naturally? And how are you achieving straightness? I'm going to guess heat?

Since you're young, male, and have never had anything but short hair I'm going to say these words that I hope will be helpful. You're throwing products at it, in hope that the next salve, balm, or oil will make it look the way you want. THEY WON'T!

Products are not supposed to be the solution. They're supposed to be helpful, they can be supportive...they don't GIVE you nice hair. Particularly if your natural hair doesn't already match the style you want.

As for the tangling, that happens fairly often if your hair is textured. Mine is curly. But "velcro ends" make it worse. And those are usually because of damage, split ends and the like.

Have you had a trim lately?

It's nice to meet you.

Brush
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521818362746241045/618216747971117056/IMG_20190903_014918.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521818362746241045/618216746741923880/IMG_20190903_014922.jpg

Shampoo
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521818362746241045/618216922701496344/IMG_20190903_014834.jpg

Cream
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521818362746241045/618217046848569365/IMG_20190903_014153.jpg

Hair from the back ;)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/521818362746241045/618217047561863193/IMG_20190903_014540.jpg

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 04:58 PM
Sry for the huge ass pictures :) here's a link to all the pictures properly and not that huges.

https://imgur.com/a/o6qr9bh

lapushka
September 2nd, 2019, 05:07 PM
First of all, I LOVE the extra-ordinary oil products from L'Oréal! I currently am using the conditioner.

You can get a better brush though. It seems like you have a "vented brush", and it also seems like you have type 2 hair (wavy hair), quite thick as well. Yes, definitely upgrade the brush. I would get either a Tangle Teezer, a Wet brush (for wet hair, not the one for dry hair as it is a boar bristle one) or a wooden bristle brush.

You have gorgeous hair, though. I have to say that! :D

And welcome to the forum again.

cjk is right. Look into the "curly girl method" a bit. It gives some good advice for wavier textures.

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 05:14 PM
First of all, I LOVE the extra-ordinary oil products from L'Oréal! I currently am using the conditioner.

You can get a better brush though. It seems like you have a "vented brush", and it also seems like you have type 2 hair (wavy hair), quite thick as well. Yes, definitely upgrade the brush. I would get either a Tangle Teezer, a Wet brush (for wet hair, not the one for dry hair as it is a boar bristle one) or a wooden bristle brush.

cjk is right. Look into the "curly girl method" a bit. It gives some good advice for wavier textures.

Do i need to change my shampoo or conditioner? i wanna get the tangling fixed ;-; and preferably the small hair the pops up as well treated and what is the curly girl method exactly?

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 05:15 PM

I also forgot thanks for the compliment :)

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 05:31 PM
Sry for the huge ass pictures :) here's a link to all the pictures properly and not that huges.

https://imgur.com/a/o6qr9bh

Ooh, you are Israeli! My Hebrew is a bit rusty, haven't used it conversationally in about 20 years, but your English is obviously just fine.

Okay, to start with, your hair and its texture are extremely handsome. I hope you aren't trying to straighten it because that would be almost criminal. People pay money to get hair that resembles what God gave you, naturally. My suggestion is to embrace it.

Next, textured hair is prone to mechanical damage from aggressive brushing/combing and mishandling. You honestly shouldn't have to comb it often, it looks generally healthy and quite nice. I usually brush my hair only 1 or 2 times a week, normally I just run my fingers through it to "detangle" a bit and go.

The tangling is what has me confused. It it tangling only on the ends? Or in the middle too? If it's just the tips, you might just need to get a very minor trim. Split ends need to be addressed early, if your goal is length.

Heat, like a hair dryer or flat iron, can cause damage. Notice I said can, this is very individual. The last time I blow-dried my hair it took two weeks to recover to its former texture. And it's also the only time I've had significant tangles. For me, heat is a bad choice.

And seriously, stop layering on random products. It can take some experimentation to find what works best, individually, for your hair. And believe it or not, more expensive doesn't automatically mean better results.

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 05:35 PM
Ooh, you are Israeli! My Hebrew is a bit rusty, haven't used it conversationally in about 20 years, but your English is obviously just fine.

Okay, to start with, your hair and its texture are extremely handsome. I hope you aren't trying to straighten it because that would be almost criminal. People pay money to get hair that resembles what God gave you, naturally. My suggestion is to embrace it.

Next, textured hair is prone to mechanical damage from aggressive brushing/combing and mishandling. You honestly shouldn't have to comb it often, it looks generally healthy and quite nice. I usually brush my hair only 1 or 2 times a week, normally I just run my fingers through it to "detangle" a bit and go.

The tangling is what has me confused. It it tangling only on the ends? Or in the middle too? If it's just the tips, you might just need to get a very minor trim. Split ends need to be addressed early, if your goal is length.

Heat, like a hair dryer or flat iron, can cause damage. Notice I said can, this is very individual. The last time I blow-dried my hair it took two weeks to recover to its former texture. And it's also the only time I've had significant tangles. For me, heat is a bad choice.

And seriously, stop layering on random products. It can take some experimentation to find what works best, individually, for your hair. And believe it or not, more expensive doesn't automatically mean better results.

I do have split ends how exactly do i treat split ends? do i simply trim the end parts? or what.
And the tangling is pretty much my whole hair but when i use the cream it stops except i wanna get to the point where it doesn't tangle at all
Like if i sleep and wake up my hair is wild and as tangling as it gets.
What i wanna fix is the tangling and the small hairs popping up and the split ends

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 05:48 PM
I do have split ends how exactly do i treat split ends? do i simply trim the end parts? or what.

Split ends are...physically split. It's like splitting a log, one piece splits into two. Like your fingernails, hair can't heal. If it's damaged you have to cut off the damage.

Bear in mind I'm guessing as to the cause. IF, and notice I emphasized the word IF, you have damage to the ends then the ends need to be trimmed off.

And the tangling is pretty much my whole hair but when i use the cream it stops except i wanna get to the point where it doesn't tangle at all
Like if i sleep and wake up my hair is wild and as tangling as it gets.

If it's almost the entire length, then it's probably not split ends. I'd definitely start with a clarifying wash with a sulfate shampoo, and condition. Then condition more. And again. Until it stops absorbing. And then another layer, for good measure.

Check the reddit I linked above. Here it is again. http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl and you'll find a wealth of information. Try to skim it and take just the general theme, though. We curlies can go way too deep, sometimes.

What i wanna fix is the tangling and the small hairs popping up and the split ends

Small hairs? These could actually be new growth. How short was your hair and how long have you been growing?

BTW, since you mentioned sleep, here's a picture of my bedhead on Sunday, and how I arranged it for church that morning. No combing or brushing. Sorry for the difference in lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/qoX69IQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UKntC8a.jpg

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 05:55 PM
Split ends are...physically split. It's like splitting a log, one piece splits into two. Like your fingernails, hair can't heal. If it's damaged you have to cut off the damage.

Bear in mind I'm guessing as to the cause. IF, and notice I emphasized the word IF, you have damage to the ends then the ends need to be trimmed off.

If it's almost the entire length, then it's probably not split ends. I'd definitely start with a clarifying wash with a sulfate shampoo, and condition. Then condition more. And again. Until it stops absorbing. And then another layer, for good measure.

Check the reddit I linked above. Here it is again. http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl and you'll find a wealth of information. Try to skim it and take just the general theme, though. We curlies can go way too deep, sometimes.

Small hairs? These could actually be new growth. How short was your hair and how long have you been growing?

BTW, since you mentioned sleep, here's a picture of my bedhead on Sunday, and how I arranged it for church that morning. No combing or brushing. Sorry for the difference in lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/qoX69IQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UKntC8a.jpg

I have to say that's one amazing beard :D

Also regarding what you said about tangling I'm a bit confused how can i treat tangling

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Do you blow-dry? Do you use heat?

You said you had no tangling issues when you use cream, at least for a while. I'm still leaning towards moisture. Try the conditioning thing in the shower, like i described above. And when you're rinsing it out, try rinsing poorly. Leave a little bit of it in.

You'll find the word slip. It's the idea of making the individual hairs slippery, so they don't tangle or get mechanically damaged.

Ultimately you're just going to have to experiment. But maybe we can point you in the right direction?

MrPandaBear
September 2nd, 2019, 06:04 PM
Do you blow-dry? Do you use heat?

You said you had no tangling issues when you use cream, at least for a while. I'm still leaning towards moisture. Try the conditioning thing in the shower, like i described above. And when you're rinsing it out, try rinsing poorly. Leave a little bit of it in.

You'll find the word slip. It's the idea of making the individual hairs slippery, so they don't tangle or get mechanically damaged.

Ultimately you're just going to have to experiment. But maybe we can point you in the right direction?

Ah i see so just leave a bit of the conditioner in the hair and not rinse all of it out.

cjk
September 2nd, 2019, 06:06 PM
Well there ARE actual leave-in conditioners. But at least to experiment that will work well enough.

milosmomma
September 2nd, 2019, 07:45 PM
Hi there, welcome! You are right that split ends do not heal and need to be trimmed out. You might be too short right now, but many people "search and destroy(s&d)" their split ends by cuting them out one by one with sharp scissors. I second the idea of starting with a clarifying wash and then giving your hair tons of moisture. If you experience a lot of tangles while sleeping you can try a silk or satin pillow case. It helps my hair immensely, compared to a cotton pillow case.
Are you using any oils right now? I find that using an oil during my wash routine has helped add slip(which reduces tangles) and adds and keeps in moisture longer. I use the oil with the rinse out method(ROO) which we have a big thread for with tons of information. If you are not opposed to using silicones, they also offer tons of slip. One final thing I am going to suggest(adding on to cjk saying embrace your waves/wurls) would be to only brush/detangle while wet with conditioner on in the shower and then let it dry untouched. Wavy hair likes to clump together to form the waves and while clumped it helps the hairs stay together and tangle less.

ManeGoal
September 2nd, 2019, 09:48 PM
I have struggled with frizz, and using a cone free conditioner like the vo5 and using a method I found here by basically massaging the conditioner in for 300 seconds. I have chin length hair and I just run my hands over my head and down the lengths, over and over again and count to three hundred, a long time, but worth it! It has changed my hair dramatically! so silky and smooth, and no tangles ever!

Here's the link for the thread about the method: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67634

lapushka
September 3rd, 2019, 08:30 AM
If you just Google curly girl method you'll get quite a few hits. But basically it is a book by Lorraine Massey. I suggest picking it up, but read it with a grain of salt. Not all methods are 100% great for everybody.

This might help:
https://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

cjk
September 3rd, 2019, 08:44 AM
I said it before but I'll say it again, to emphasize the point.

Individual results can and will vary.

You need to experiment, to find out what works for your scalp, your hair, and your lifestyle. It's not just getting a good product, it's getting a product that is good for YOU.

spidermom
September 3rd, 2019, 10:46 AM
I have all textures of hair on my head - straight hairs, wavy hairs, and curly hairs. The overall appearance is wavy, and it tangles like crazy. I only use a comb to untangle it as it's too easy to rip through tangles with a brush, and that causes damage. I've often seen the advice to start combing from the ends, but I find it works best for me to start combing from the top, but very lightly at the surface, gradually working my way down through the density of hair, stopping if I find any resistance at all, gently using my fingers to tease the tangle apart.

Two things have helped a lot to reduce the problem of tangling. 1) Moisture. My general routine is to wait until the scalp area gets oily, then I use virgin olive oil to lightly oil the length, braid it overnight, then wash it the next morning (about every 4-5 days). I use a deep conditioner every other wash day and a regular conditioner the next wash day. It's good to take some time to thoroughly massage the conditioner through, although I don't count to 300 as mentioned above. 2) A leave-in product like CHI Silk Infusion or Moroccanoil. They contain a silicone that I swear practically makes the tangles fall out by themselves and tames frizz. A little goes a long way with these products, and I mean very little, like one drop for your current length. You can rub it over and between fingers, then run fingers through your hair several times.

Conditioners, oils, silicones, minerals in the water, etc, can build up on hair and increase tangling, so get a clarifying shampoo (it will say clarifying right on the label) and use it every time your hair seems to be sticking to itself too much. We have hard water here, so I use a white vinegar rinse (1 tablespoon in about 12 ounces of water) every time I shampoo (before conditioning), plus I use a clarifying shampoo about every two to three weeks.

A slippery-feeling pillowcase is a good suggestion as well. I always use one.

In my experience, it's easier to get away without using products when your hair is on the shorter side. As it grows, it gets more weathered, which causes more problems. Don't get too attached to the idea that there will come a time when you don't need products like leave-in conditioners or styling creams.

MrPandaBear
October 28th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Here's an update regarding what happened to my hair.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151029&p=3727627#post3727627

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 07:04 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

The personal care/beauty/fashion industry lives off nurturing seeds of discontent with oneself.

I have a hard time changing my opinions/thoughts/feelings, but I find I can pray for a better perspective...

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 07:54 PM
What kind of comb do you use? Plastic? Perhaps ditching the plastic in favor of wood would help? Some folks claim that plastic combs/brushes cause static electricity, which breaks the hair & causes tangles, whereas wood does not. A wooden comb will help move the sebum from your scalp down the hair shaft, thus lessening the need for conditioner. In fact, historically, before shampoo and super-frequent hair-washing, people relied on combs & brushes made of natural materials (because plastic wasn't invented yet) to dry-clean their hair.

Maybe that would work for you?

Some natural materials of which combs are made:
wood, many different varieties
ox horn
buffalo horn
antelope horn
ox hoof

And there are boar bristle brushes...