PDA

View Full Version : September 2019: Frida Kahlo Braids

neko_kawaii
September 1st, 2019, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_Rk5SOOWM&feature=plcp

Two braids using a thin scarf as a braid strand, wrapped and pinned like Heidi braids. Decorate with flowers or a large bow if you wish!

Genne
September 4th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Oh my gosh, that looks so easy and like it will really hold your hair securely without pulling. I will DEFINITELY try this! Thank you. :) <3
Jen

enting
September 4th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Ooh, another style I can do pretty easily! Now, which scarf do I use :hmm:

Siv
September 4th, 2019, 06:55 AM
I did a test run on dirty hair, and I found that I need to use a bunch of pins to hide the tassels. I tried wrapping the ends of the scarf differently but it was no help. So for me it wasn't as easy as the video made it seem... but definitely doable!

Mariekeeee14
September 4th, 2019, 06:55 AM
I've been trying it out with ribbon since I don't own a thin scarf (I've never used one on my hair before and I need thick scarves to keep me warm in winter) and the results were nice but not nice enough. I have to practice more, but I like this style!

Kat
September 4th, 2019, 06:57 AM
I don't have any scarves small enough, but a wide ribbon might be nice. (the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...)

Mariekeeee14
September 4th, 2019, 07:22 AM
the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...

Then maybe try it without pins? Make sure your scarf/ribbon is long enough to tie around your head, or is your hair too slippery for it to stay that way?

spidermom
September 4th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Eagerly tried it, but this is a terrible style on me (as is Heidi braids). It makes the back of my head look flat; downright deformed. I did keep the scarf idea and made a headband to wrapped bun style.

enting
September 4th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Eagerly tried it, but this is a terrible style on me (as is Heidi braids). It makes the back of my head look flat; downright deformed. I did keep the scarf idea and made a headband to wrapped bun style.

It will probably do the same for me, I hadn't thought about that. I do wrap over the top when I'm wearing a scarf over my hair, but I usually have a bun under there in back! Hm. I might just decide not to care.

I don't have any scarves small enough, but a wide ribbon might be nice. (the only problem I find with doing Heidi braids with a ribbon in them is that the ribbon then blocks my hair pins. I could easily ruin a scarf that way...)

I worry about that too. I think I'd try grabbing one of the strands that's actually hair and trying to pin only through that strand of the braid. Even so, it might be worth trying with a scarf or ribbon that you don't mind puncturing or that you will only wear in your hair so that puncture marks won't matter. Some people seem to be able to thread pins through scarves without breaking any threads. I am not one of those people, generally.

Kat
September 4th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Then maybe try it without pins? Make sure your scarf/ribbon is long enough to tie around your head, or is your hair too slippery for it to stay that way?

It would slip riiiiiight off the back. :(

enting
September 5th, 2019, 05:25 AM
All right, I tried it today with a loosely woven, grabby sort of scarf. I tucked one end under the start of the other to try and hold it in place. It stays without pins AS LONG AS I don't do much moving. If I were to look up very far it would probably fall off the back. I could always put pins in as the loose weave might allow them through without the scarf being damaged. My ends are poking out everywhere, so it looks sort of silly, but also kind of nice. The funny thing is that since the scarf I used is so much thicker than my hair, it looks like a taped hairstyle, but with my hair as the tape and the scarf as the hair!

I will be changing styles to leave the house today, but it's cute and pretty do-able.

neko_kawaii
September 5th, 2019, 08:16 AM
The trick to pinning is to find the edges of the braid that are hair and not scarf and insert the pins there.

MusicalSpoons
September 5th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I would really like to try this, but I don't own any scarves long enough :lol: the longest one is also the most suitable (satiny) but despite the thickness managing to eat up length of my hair, it still ended up with nothing left to tie. The only ribbon I own long enough is thin so it wouldn't work the same - the idea of replacing a braid strand is what appealed to me, otherwise I may as well just do Heidi or milkmaid braids :shrug:

littlestarface
September 5th, 2019, 10:01 AM
2 pages and still no pictures :rollin:

Corvana
September 5th, 2019, 03:42 PM
I haven't tried this style because I don't have any scarves :laugh:

I hate how Heidi braids look on me, too, so I always wrap them the other way so they cross in the back before going up.

enting
September 5th, 2019, 03:43 PM

I tried! I did! but my picture taking is truly abysmal.

ETA everyone needs to visit me, I have enough scarves for you all :D

AmaryllisRed
September 5th, 2019, 03:47 PM

I'll take one for the team...
COMING SOON!

spidermom
September 5th, 2019, 05:03 PM
I haven't tried this style because I don't have any scarves :laugh:

I hate how Heidi braids look on me, too, so I always wrap them the other way so they cross in the back before going up.

That's what I used to do when my hair was long enough.

AmaryllisRed
September 5th, 2019, 07:02 PM
I like it.
Actually, a lot.
My "scarf" is a belt, I think? I don't wear scarves because I don't like things on my neck. I don't actually wear belts, either... except in my hair, apparently. :)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38422&d=1567731608

littlestarface
September 5th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Since i'm same ethnicity she was, I'll do it too I guess.

enting
September 6th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Ok after redoing it last night and attempting approximately a thousand more bathroom shots, I have a photo.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38423&d=1567774175

spidermom
September 6th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Congrats on making this work, AR and enting. It looks good.

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Very nice!

AmaryllisRed
September 6th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thank you!
I think there are a lot of variables to making it work. Hair length and thickness, scarf length and thickness, etc.

bparnell75
September 6th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Ok after redoing it last night and attempting approximately a thousand more bathroom shots, I have a photo.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38423&d=1567774175

Beautiful. If I did not have such a round face I would try this.

Lady Stardust
September 6th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Beautiful, enting. AmaryllisRed I can’t see your photo but I have no doubt that your hair looks stunning :)

I gave it a try. My first attempt was hilarious. I left the braid tassels too long and they flopped forwards so I looked like I had spaniels ears on the top of my head,

The second attempt was better, I got the braid tassels encased in the scarf, which means this could be a fairly protective style, I think? One side did a weird floppy bulge though, I think the plait was too loose.

I’ll keep trying. I think this could be a good style for some of us shorter haired people because the scarf provides extra length.

I wonder if there is a Polish equivalent? My dad said that his mum used to wear her hair in twin braids, and I know ribbons and flowery headbands were part of the national costume (at least they were part of the costumes given to me as a child). I’ll have to investigate.

Lady Stardust
September 7th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Me again. Iím a bit nervous of posting my attempt because itís mostly scarf showing, but thatís partly because I tucked the scarf over the tassels to hide the hair ties.

Itís the most comfortable style Iíve ever worn :) I donít need any pins as long as the scarf passes in front of the braids. Iíve had a lot of migraines recently so this style is perfect.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38441&d=1567870288

Estrid
September 7th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Gah! This style is stunning, you all look so good in it!
I attempted it too since it seemed to be doable with shorter hair, and it sure was, but the elastics were...very visible (I picked bright ones, so I don't know what I was expecting), and so were my ends (tried to hide them in the scarf). Here is my first and only attempt, looks so so for the reasons mentioned + that I managed to get bulges of hair on the back. Making the photo as a link since it looked the best from the front and I don't want to taint the thread with my face (https://i.imgur.com/Gs4Lqyt.jpg?1) :p

This updo is very similar to my goal hair style, what I want to wear every day when I'm able to (just two normal braids, with ribbon braided with them, wrapped around the head and tied with the ribbon in the back)... I realised one thing when making this one, though, the compression headache that I can get from headbands with knots on them, or headsets that goes over the head, I got from this style pretty much straight away, and it wasn't tight or anything. Such a bummer, now I know that I won't be able to wear my favorite style unless I want to eat painkillers as well... Not sure what to do with this information, what should I look forward to now? :/

enting
September 7th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Beautiful. If I did not have such a round face I would try this.

That's funny you say that because I think my face is relatively round. I say try it anyway, you might be surprised :flower:

Lady Stardust, I love yours! I know what you mean about encasing the ends inside the scarf, I did that so my ends wouldn't floop out but it's also very protective that way.

Estrid, it looks gorgeous! (I also had bulges at the back and it looked best from the front.) I would check if a thicker scarf feels the same way instead of a thin ribbon. A wider surface might hurt less, possibly. Pancaking the braid might help a bit to soften the feel of it. As your hair gets longer might it also distribute weight a bit differently and hurt less?
If nothing else, consider a crown braid instead? That gathers hair from all around the head and feels less like a headband. I hope you find something that works so you can wear your favorite style!

littlestarface
September 7th, 2019, 01:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/BA25ClS.png

My hair is too long for this style Its just like a crown braid for me but more annoying.

enting
September 7th, 2019, 02:20 PM
I think it's pretty on you littlestarface, but I agree that it looks more "Frida Kahlo" with shorter lengths of hair with more length of just scarf showing. I feel like mine also looks like crown braids/coronet braids/whatever that one is called.

AmaryllisRed
September 7th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I think everyone looks great! I really like this style.
I totally get the "headband" feeling. There are days when it bothers me and days it doesn't.
When I took my Frida braids down, I actually still felt like I was wearing them hours later.

jane_marie
September 7th, 2019, 04:08 PM
I love this style!

I ordered these scarfs to do it with. They should be here Monday so I'll try it then. My hair is only BSL and my hair dresser shredded my hair with a thinning razor last month. Who knows if I'll actually be able to do it :neutral:

gin
September 7th, 2019, 04:54 PM
This is my first hairstyle of the month! I also don't have a scarf so I cheated and used parandas from some sachay yarn. I had to add the parandas lower down in the braids to get them long enough to tie around, so there are sections of braid that don't have any color to them. My guess is that if I used much longer parandas then it would look much better.

Best part about this? NO HAIRTIES OR ELASTICS! No pins either! I've sworn off hairties and elastics, and I'm horrible at french and dutch braiding, which is why I think this could be my new favorite braided hairstyle. I'm going to try this out for yoga and/or climbing, though I'll probably have to add a spin pin or two to make sure the braids don't move. For lounging around at home today, this is perfect. :)

https://i.imgur.com/0xPDbbn.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/F5Dy4nK.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/Z2SiqCw.jpg?2

AmaryllisRed
September 7th, 2019, 06:50 PM
It looks great, gin!

I only needed two bobby pins for mine. And actually the second time I did it, I wasn't moving around a lot and didn't use any pins.

Estrid
September 7th, 2019, 09:45 PM
-
Estrid, it looks gorgeous! (I also had bulges at the back and it looked best from the front.) I would check if a thicker scarf feels the same way instead of a thin ribbon. A wider surface might hurt less, possibly. Pancaking the braid might help a bit to soften the feel of it. As your hair gets longer might it also distribute weight a bit differently and hurt less?
If nothing else, consider a crown braid instead? That gathers hair from all around the head and feels less like a headband. I hope you find something that works so you can wear your favorite style!

Thank you. I did use a scarf this time, I don't think a thicker one would help since I think that it is mainly the weight that it put on the top of my head that caused the headache, because it was rather heavy... I don't think there is a good way to get around that, no matter what I do, my hair will put weight where I put it. The only way I can see this working for me without causing a headache would be if I section my hair so that half (or less, might be way less) is included in the braids. I might try that today just to see what it feels like, and looks like.

The reason I was so excited about wrapping braids is because I'm lazy and not very good at dutch or french braiding, I want a quick and easy everyday style! I suppose making a proper crown braid is an option (not sure if that would hurt too or not), but yeah, I would have to practice a lot for that.

Beautiful, gin and littlestarface! :o

enting
September 8th, 2019, 03:28 AM
Ah, I see, Estrid. I was a little bit confused because you had mentioned both ribbon (for your goal hairstyle) and scarf, but the picture looked more like a scarf - because it was!
If you do try it with sections I'd love to see the result.

(Have you tried hair taping? I don't know if that would be easy for you, but it doesn't even require braiding at all, you can just use a ponytail/pigtail.)

Gin, it looks great! I love the contrast you have with the paranda.

Jane_marie, I'd bet you can still do it ;) . I'd love to see how it turns out.

Elodea
September 8th, 2019, 06:45 AM
I started trying to do this hairstyle with the belt from a fake silk robe I have because that's all I could find, but the belt wasn't long enough! So now I'll have to either get a longer scarf (maybe a 7 ft scarf, for my TBL hair? The robe belt was about 5.5 ft) or find some yarn to make a paranda I can use. Did anyone else have problems finding a suitable scarf?

This is my first hairstyle of the month! I also don't have a scarf so I cheated and used parandas from some sachay yarn. I had to add the parandas lower down in the braids to get them long enough to tie around, so there are sections of braid that don't have any color to them. My guess is that if I used much longer parandas then it would look much better.

Best part about this? NO HAIRTIES OR ELASTICS! No pins either! I've sworn off hairties and elastics, and I'm horrible at french and dutch braiding, which is why I think this could be my new favorite braided hairstyle. I'm going to try this out for yoga and/or climbing, though I'll probably have to add a spin pin or two to make sure the braids don't move. For lounging around at home today, this is perfect. :)

I like the color contrast because of the yarn you used for the parandas!

MusicalSpoons
September 8th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Gotta say, these are all looking fab!

littlestarface what kind of scarf did you use that was long enough?
Elodea at first I read those measurements in metres (because I was using satin ribbon for something else yesterday, which was sold in metres) and was astonished :rollin: feet makes much more sense though! [I usually think in feet and inches.]
gin that's genius.

Interesting to note the headband sensation some people are experiencing from it, good to be aware of the possibility if I do get to do a style like this.

littlestarface
September 8th, 2019, 08:56 AM
I think it's pretty on you littlestarface, but I agree that it looks more "Frida Kahlo" with shorter lengths of hair with more length of just scarf showing. I feel like mine also looks like crown braids/coronet braids/whatever that one is called.
Yea much better for short hairs i'd say or else its just a crown coronet whatever braid lol

Elodea at first I read those measurements in metres (because I was using satin ribbon for something else yesterday, which was sold in metres) and was astonished :rollin: feet makes much more sense though! [I usually think in feet and inches.]
gin that's genius.

Interesting to note the headband sensation some people are experiencing from it, good to be aware of the possibility if I do get to do a style like this.

I have scarves from arabia that come 70 inches long so that we can wrap and drape them around the head n chest lol.

Estrid
September 8th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Ah, I see, Estrid. I was a little bit confused because you had mentioned both ribbon (for your goal hairstyle) and scarf, but the picture looked more like a scarf - because it was!
If you do try it with sections I'd love to see the result.

(Have you tried hair taping? I don't know if that would be easy for you, but it doesn't even require braiding at all, you can just use a ponytail/pigtail.)

-

Ah, I see :p yeah, it's similar to my goal hair style, but not the same. I never tried to do sectioned ones today, had so many other things to do, maybe I will try tomorrow :o I might post the results here if I'm successful.
I've never tried hair taping but I have considered trying it when my hair is longer, but for this particular style I don't see how it would help (?). I think I might be misunderstanding what you mean with hair taping, though, I'm just picturing sewing it down with a ribbon x) but since you mention ponytails and pigtails I'm not sure.

jane_marie
September 8th, 2019, 11:58 AM
I did it. I like it. My heavily layered bsl hair made it pretty messy but I think I'll start using it regularly as a protective style. My only complaint is how the hair ties show...maybe I can do it with just bobby pins under the scarf next time. In the photos of Frida she puts a flower there so that might be an option too.

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q_auto,w_412,c_fill,g_auto,h_412,ar_1:1/http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets% 2F180611145644-frida-kahlo-olmec-figurine.jpg

I think it will work better when the thinner scarfs get here. :)

https://i.imgur.com/nDwZeMo.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/5zPnN9O.jpg?1

enting
September 8th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Ah, I see :p yeah, it's similar to my goal hair style, but not the same. I never tried to do sectioned ones today, had so many other things to do, maybe I will try tomorrow :o I might post the results here if I'm successful.
I've never tried hair taping but I have considered trying it when my hair is longer, but for this particular style I don't see how it would help (?). I think I might be misunderstanding what you mean with hair taping, though, I'm just picturing sewing it down with a ribbon x) but since you mention ponytails and pigtails I'm not sure.

I was thinking sewing it down when it's unbraided but just gathered into pigtails might be less headband-like in feel?

Jane_marie it looks great!

jane_marie
September 8th, 2019, 01:45 PM

thanks. Looking at it I don't think I care for the head band feel of it. It's how it looks in the video but Frida's doesn't have it in the image. It's a start. i think it needs tweaking. :neutral:

Kat
September 8th, 2019, 04:17 PM

Oh, wow! This looks great.

My hair is too long for this style Its just like a crown braid for me but more annoying.

O...M...G, your hair color though! Gorgeous!

enting
September 8th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Thank you! It was the most flattering of all the pictures I tried to take :P .

AmaryllisRed
September 8th, 2019, 05:00 PM
I started trying to do this hairstyle with the belt from a fake silk robe I have because that's all I could find, but the belt wasn't long enough! So now I'll have to either get a longer scarf (maybe a 7 ft scarf, for my TBL hair? The robe belt was about 5.5 ft) or find some yarn to make a paranda I can use. Did anyone else have problems finding a suitable scarf?

I like the color contrast because of the yarn you used for the parandas!

My belt/scarf is about 68" long and just over an inch wide. My hair is just past classic length.
Edited: I meant to add... I had enough length to tie in a bow at the back of my head. I wish I had had more length so I could wrap just the remaining scarf length around my head and tie on top. That would be more Frida I think.

Elodea
September 8th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Thank you!
I think there are a lot of variables to making it work. Hair length and thickness, scarf length and thickness, etc.

I'm wondering now how long Frida's hair was... a quick Google search didn't show any photos of it down, so I don't know. In the photos of her with her hair up in this style, it does look pretty thick though. Wait, actually, I was able to find this photo of her in the process of doing what appears to be this style! https://lado_c.blogs.sapo.pt/388161.html Based on that, it looks like her hair was about BSL and the style was started differently (her braids start at the top of the head, rather than down at the nape) than the video at the beginning of this thread.

gin that's genius.

thanks. Looking at it I don't think I care for the head band feel of it. It's how it looks in the video but Frida's doesn't have it in the image. It's a start. i think it needs tweaking. :neutral:

MusicalSpoons, A 7-meter scarf haha! That'd probably be enough to make a turban.

Maybe the headband sensation has to do with the positioning of the braids once they're tied/pinned in place? In the photos I looked at, it seems that Frida wore the style relatively far back on her head, not right near the hairline. And/or maybe it has to do with how thick one's hair is? Thicker (also longer) hair might make this style feel less like a headband. I haven't been able to do this style on myself yet for lack of a suitable scarf, but I do intend to try this style when I can.

My belt/scarf is about 68" long and just over an inch wide. My hair is just past classic length.
Edited: I meant to add... I had enough length to tie in a bow at the back of my head. I wish I had had more length so I could wrap just the remaining scarf length around my head and tie on top. That would be more Frida I think.

Yeah, I think I'd like to be able to tie the bow in the front if possible. I did some quick test braids without a scarf to see how far my hair would wrap by itself without extra scarf length, and it goes around to the back of my head so I could definitely tie it there, but I would need a longer scarf to tie it in the front. Unless maybe I altered the style a bit and started the braids near the crown of my head instead of the back? (turns out that seems to be closer to how Frida actually did her hair, based on the photo I found)

AmaryllisRed
September 8th, 2019, 08:41 PM
When I looked up pictures of her hair, it seemed like maybe there are two different styles she wore. That picture linked above might be a different style?

jane_marie
September 8th, 2019, 08:56 PM
I wish I had had more length so I could wrap just the remaining scarf length around my head and tie on top. That would be more Frida I think.

That's a good idea. I think tomorrow I'll try again and do a bow or something instead of wrapping it around to the back. That would hide my hair ties and maybe look more authentic. My scarf is taller than I am so who knows, maybe if I have time I can even fashion some flowers out of the scarf.

this video shows a pretty simple flower made from a scarf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_pUP0BDm80

Elodea
September 8th, 2019, 09:03 PM
When I looked up pictures of her hair, it seemed like maybe there are two different styles she wore. That picture linked above might be a different style?

I'm not entirely sure, although it's definitely at least a similar style. Pretty much all of the photos I saw of her with the hair all braided/tied up with a scarf in it are from the front, so it's hard to see how it's put together, and the tied scarf and/or flowers also obscure the exact construction of the hairstyle.

ETA: the photo at the beginning of this article looks like it might be the style she's in the middle of doing in the other photo I found? https://fierce.wearemitu.com/newsfeed/a-frida-kahlo-exhibit-featuring-her-iconic-style-and-art-is-coming-to-the-us-in-2019/
The photo at the beginning of this article also seems to show a style where the braids begin on the top of her head https://www.anothermag.com/art-photography/11109/why-frida-kahlo-was-best-photographed-by-women

littlestarface
September 8th, 2019, 09:13 PM

O...M...G, your hair color though! Gorgeous!

Thanks so much :cloud9:

neko_kawaii
September 8th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Thank for finding great pictures of Frida in braids! It does seem likely that she did some different variations of things in her braids. I need to dig around for old pics of me in this style. It is one of my favorites.

AmaryllisRed
September 8th, 2019, 10:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure, although it's definitely at least a similar style. Pretty much all of the photos I saw of her with the hair all braided/tied up with a scarf in it are from the front, so it's hard to see how it's put together, and the tied scarf and/or flowers also obscure the exact construction of the hairstyle.

ETA: the photo at the beginning of this article looks like it might be the style she's in the middle of doing in the other photo I found? https://fierce.wearemitu.com/newsfeed/a-frida-kahlo-exhibit-featuring-her-iconic-style-and-art-is-coming-to-the-us-in-2019/
The photo at the beginning of this article also seems to show a style where the braids begin on the top of her head https://www.anothermag.com/art-photography/11109/why-frida-kahlo-was-best-photographed-by-women

Yes! That's what I was talking about. When I looked again tonight, I couldn't find it. Darn that google!

Estrid
September 8th, 2019, 11:20 PM
I was thinking sewing it down when it's unbraided but just gathered into pigtails might be less headband-like in feel?

I'm not sure if that would hold? I suppose I could try it someday, but part of what I like with crown braids and such is the braids.

I envy you all who're able to do this without pain!

Siv
September 9th, 2019, 02:57 AM
This is my first hairstyle of the month! I also don't have a scarf so I cheated and used parandas from some sachay yarn.

That's fantastic! I'll have to try that, I couldn't get the elastics to stay hidden when I did it with a scarf!

Aroha
September 9th, 2019, 03:32 AM
I love those historic photos of Frida (especially the one where she is actually doing her hair), and I love everybody's Frida braids. I might try them as I have a possibly suitable scarf, but I'm not sure I like that severe parting down the centre back.

Lady Stardust
September 9th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Thank you enting :)

I think the style in the video is quite different from the picture of Frida Kahlo, even though it is shown in the video. Her hair is brushed back and up, rather than starting the plaits at the bottom of the head. More “Freda Kahlo inspired” than a replication.

I love all the photos of her hair, and of everyone’s versions here.

Elodea
September 9th, 2019, 09:37 AM
I love those historic photos of Frida (especially the one where she is actually doing her hair), and I love everybody's Frida braids. I might try them as I have a possibly suitable scarf, but I'm not sure I like that severe parting down the centre back.

Thank you enting :)

I think the style in the video is quite different from the picture of Frida Kahlo, even though it is shown in the video. Her hair is brushed back and up, rather than starting the plaits at the bottom of the head. More “Freda Kahlo inspired” than a replication.

I love all the photos of her hair, and of everyone’s versions here.

Yeah, I was pretty happy I was able to find some decent photos of her hairstyles that show the construction of them a bit more clearly, especially the photo of her actually in the process of braiding it. It's definitely possible she did a few variations of this braided hairstyle with a scarf, so maybe the one in the video is just a different hairstyle that she also did, even if it doesn't seem to be the hairstyle shown in the historic photos I found?

jane_marie
September 9th, 2019, 09:59 AM
I tried a new Frida inspired braid look in an effort to be more accurate. It doesn't look right... it turned into more of a braided bun for a number of reasons.... but I think it's cute. I'll try again Wednesday. It has become my new goal in life to get this look right. Haha

I think, if your goal is to make it look how Frida's did and less like milk maid braids with a scarf the trick is to divide your hair into high forward pigtails and wrap the scarf around those in a figure 8 before integrating it into the braids (like in Elodea's photo of Frida doing her hair). The scarf wrapped around the two sections of hair helps to stand the braid up vertically instead of flat against the scalp.

neko_kawaii
September 9th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Lets see
https://live.staticflickr.com/966/41796348652_82ea5183be.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/26FpdhU)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4209/35618673635_1849454613.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Wgv1JF)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4234/35579228466_f90d709130.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Wd1R4y)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4124/35488386221_93bfe0e19f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/W4ZfPX)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4120/34777396424_62819e46d9.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UZafkb)
I know this one was for Halloween, because I filled in my eyebrow.

bparnell75
September 9th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Those are wonderful Necko!

Liz H
September 9th, 2019, 07:31 PM
These all look good! Looking forward to trying this myself.

Suortuva
September 10th, 2019, 01:21 AM
Oh, this is a neat style! Here's my first attempt, and I'm in love with this style:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38452&d=1568099154

Maybe I'll try to start the braids a bit lower next time, but I didn't want to redo it, because it was staying so great. I used one bobby pin, because one of the braid tassels was a bit problematic...

I have wanted to wear braids wrapped around my head and I have wanted to use this particular scarf in my hair, and now it's finally possible, yay!

enting
September 10th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Neko_kawaii I love all your variations!

Suortova, looking good! I especially like your scarf. I love the colors and pattern, from what I can see. Is it silk?

Suortuva
September 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Neko_kawaii I love all your variations!

Suortova, looking good! I especially like your scarf. I love the colors and pattern, from what I can see. Is it silk?

Thanks! Yes, it is silk. My big sister sent it to me as a surprise gift this summer, and it's my favourite shade of green (though I love everything green).

enting
September 10th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks! Yes, it is silk. My big sister sent it to me as a surprise gift this summer, and it's my favourite shade of green (though I love everything green).

That's so sweet of her! I like greens, too.

spidermom
September 11th, 2019, 06:29 PM
I found a way to make it work so that the back of my head doesn't look flat. First I made 2 braids in the back, one on either side of the center part. I put the hair tie (the small, clear kind) only on the hair part of the braid, then I used the scarf to completely cover my ends and the hair tie. I crossed the braids at the nape of my neck, then brought the scarf up and around like a hair band, tied it, and tucked the ends under rather than make a bow. I tried a bow, but it looked silly to me. This is what I ended up with:
https://i.imgur.com/kI9r68q.jpg?1

It was mostly comfortable all day, and I think it will get more comfortable with practice and wear.

AmaryllisRed
September 11th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Suortuva and Spidermom, it looks great on both of you! I love those scarves.

This makes me want to get more scarf/belts.

MlleMC
September 13th, 2019, 09:05 AM
I did something similar for Halloween 4 years ago. After trying a few things, I decided to tie the scarf in front to replace the flowers Frida often wore. The pictures were taken at the end of the day, so my hair is getting a bit undone...

https://i.imgur.com/nSFMjqC.jpg

I'm not sure that scarf would still work today as my hair has grown a lot since, but my braids would at least go all around my head.

spidermom
September 13th, 2019, 03:33 PM
I like that MlleMC.

Suortuva
September 13th, 2019, 09:57 PM
But what's that thing that everyone is doing Frida Kahlo for Halloween? :agape:
Is she some kind of scary figure in US culture? Zombies, vampires and Frida Kahlo...

neko_kawaii
September 13th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Is she some kind of scary figure in US culture? Zombies, vampires and Frida Kahlo...

I think the scary costume thing went out of fashion a few generations ago.

jane_marie
September 13th, 2019, 11:08 PM

Although Halloween was borne from Samhain, a pagan festival in which people wore scary costumes to frighten evil spirits, in the US it has largely lost it's original spirit.

Now, Halloween is mostly about candy and getting drunk with a nod to it's original intent. It's sort of like how (in America at least) most of the time Christmas is just a celebration of consumerism thinly veiled with Jesus stuff.

People wear what they want. I still tend to do scary when i dress up but honestly, I'm just happy to see people dress up i something other than a sexy.... whatever.

edit - Sorry if anyone is offended by this.

spidermom
September 17th, 2019, 09:21 AM
O.k., I used leather laces instead of a scarf and a different braiding pattern so that the back of my head doesn't look flat. I really-really like how this came out.
https://i.imgur.com/eMgfOtR.jpg?1

Or maybe it's just the cheap sunglasses. lol

AmaryllisRed
September 17th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Ooh, I really really like it too!

neko_kawaii
September 17th, 2019, 09:37 AM
LOL, the sunglasses are awesome, but so are the braids! What braiding pattern did you use?

jane_marie
September 17th, 2019, 09:55 AM
O.k., I used leather laces instead of a scarf and a different braiding pattern so that the back of my head doesn't look flat. I really-really like how this came out.
https://i.imgur.com/eMgfOtR.jpg?1

Or maybe it's just the cheap sunglasses. lol

Those turned out great! Nice job!

spidermom
September 17th, 2019, 10:29 AM
LOL, the sunglasses are awesome, but so are the braids! What braiding pattern did you use?

Instead of starting with a wedge at the top of my forehead/temple area, dividing into 3, and curving around my ear as I worked my way down a dutch braid, I started with a horizontal section of hair running from forehead/temple to the center part in the back. I divided that into 3 sections and worked my way through a dutch braid straight down behind each ear. I hope that's understandable.

enting
September 17th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Looks good, spidermom!

Elodea
September 19th, 2019, 05:31 PM
I got my hands on a scarf that's long enough and was able to try this hairstyle, but I didn't really like how it turned out. I think I have too much hair (thickness and length) for this to work using the scarf I had -- the scarf added too much volume after everything was piled up on my head. A narrower scarf might be worthwhile to try though.

Plus, I think this style, done as shown in the video (without alterations), works better with hair that's shorter, so it only wraps around your head once or so; multiple wraps (without using pins/clips to hold things in place) aren't that secure.

wo
September 24th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Wow, I love everyone's pictures! What a beautiful hairstyle. I need to buy a scarf or ribbon now. I don't own a thing to try this with.

FaerieToast
September 25th, 2019, 09:27 AM

https://i.imgur.com/0xPDbbns.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/F5Dy4nKs.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/Z2SiqCws.jpg?2

How did you manage to get the hairstyle to work without using hairties/elastics or pins?
I have a silk scarf I want to try this hairstyle out with, but the inclusion of hair elastics makes me kind of squeamish... and I don't own any pins (I've never been able to figure out how to get them to not instantly fall out of my hair).

neko_kawaii
September 25th, 2019, 10:34 AM
How did you manage to get the hairstyle to work without using hairties/elastics or pins?
I have a silk scarf I want to try this hairstyle out with, but the inclusion of hair elastics makes me kind of squeamish... and I don't own any pins (I've never been able to figure out how to get them to not instantly fall out of my hair).

Do you have small claw clips? I use them to secure the ends and they can definitely be used to secure the braids in place.

FaerieToast
September 25th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Do you have small claw clips? I use them to secure the ends and they can definitely be used to secure the braids in place.

Oh that's so clever! Let me see... I have a single small grey claw clip.

Because I only have one, I tried using a cloth ribbon to tie off the other side which didn't look too bad as long as I have tooth side of the claw clip facing forward instead of the clip side. I've actually never made a braid before so it kind of fell apart when I tried to flip it over my head--it made me look like I had fluffy dachshund ears ^^ but it was pretty while it was down. Should have taken a pic.

The small claw clip broke on my second attempt though ;-; oops. Might pick some more up.

ETA: tried a couple more times by tying the ribbon around both ends; couldn't quite get it to work but I have to start homework now, so I made an album (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=14011) that shows the kind of dachshund ear effect in case braid experts have some pointers.

neko_kawaii
September 25th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Very cute, FaerieToast! I love the colors in that scarf. Looks great in your hair.

enting
September 25th, 2019, 03:24 PM
For the "dachshund ear" effect I would try wrapping the braids the opposite directions, crossing them in the back. Either that, or lean my head to the side while braiding so there's less slack right near the head.
I do think it looks nice, though.
And the colors on that scarf are gorgeous.

Elodea
September 25th, 2019, 07:10 PM
I finally got this hairstyle to sort of work for me, but alas, it's just not very secure in the configuration I did. The braids just lay on top of my head and since they're not pinned down to any scalp hair, if I move too much they slide/fall out of place. It might work slightly better with a thinner scarf, but I don't have one on hand. I think my hair is too long for this style to work well easily.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38663&d=1569460044
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38664&d=1569460057

FaerieToast
September 25th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Very cute, FaerieToast! I love the colors in that scarf. Looks great in your hair.

For the "dachshund ear" effect I would try wrapping the braids the opposite directions, crossing them in the back. Either that, or lean my head to the side while braiding so there's less slack right near the head.
I do think it looks nice, though.
And the colors on that scarf are gorgeous.

Thanks you two ^^ I was very lucky to receive that scarf as a gift and I'm happy it pairs so well with my hair, because that gives me an excuse to wear it even if it wouldn't match my outfit as a normal neck scarf! Hehe.
I'll definitely try leaning my head to the side and crossing from the back next time I experiment with the style.
ETA
Elodea, the contrast of the scarf with your braids looks quite pretty, shame it doesn't stay up for you.

gin
September 25th, 2019, 10:00 PM

I used two separate parandas, one for each side, rather than a scarf. The paranda allows you to braid past your length, and then you tie the braid off on the paranda, and not your hair. I had a couple simple parandas I previuosly made from sachay yarn. There's a YT video somewhere that I watched which showed me how to make and use the paranda, though I don't have the link to it right now. If I find it I'll link to it here!

Elodea
September 26th, 2019, 06:57 AM
I'll definitely try leaning my head to the side and crossing from the back next time I experiment with the style.
ETA
Elodea, the contrast of the scarf with your braids looks quite pretty, shame it doesn't stay up for you.

Thank you! This time, based on some suggestions in the thread, I did try leaning a different way when I was doing the braids so the beginning of them would lay differently and that helped me not run out of scarf length.

Instead of holding my head up normally and braiding downwards from around my ear (like in the video), I bent my head forward (looking at the floor) and braided from that angle, which seemed to help somewhat. In the end, the style wasn't that secure due to it not being pinned down anywhere, but that's a separate issue.

I guess if I really wanted it to work, I could try to pin it in place after tying the scarf, but I was hoping that this would be a nice and simple style, and trying to pin it securely would just be a hassle.

Aroha
September 27th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Faerie toast,
the key to hairpins not falling out is very simple to do. I was so excited when I discovered it. It's tricky to explain but I will try.

eg for a bun, grasp all the hair, as if to make a pony tail. But do not put an elastic around it. Now twirl it around so that it twists into a bun, lying against your head. Insert the pin into the edge of the bun and angle out a bit until it touches the scalp. Maintaining contact with the scalp flip the pin and slide it back under the bun.
Do another pin from the opposite side of the bun, they will kind of interlock with each other
I do two more pins so that there are four - north, south, east and west so to speak.

It has been revolutionary. So few pins can hold so much hair. No hair ties, no clips. They barely even show.
Hope this helps.

Elodea
September 27th, 2019, 06:54 PM
Alright! I finally got this hairstyle to work by using hefty larger pins to pin it in place, instead of regular bobby pins. I never tried pinning it with just bobby pins but I probably would've had to use quite a lot. I "only" needed 6 of the larger pins for it to be secure. The larger pins basically look like bobby pins, but longer and thicker. I pinned the braids at the front of my head before tying the scarf in the back.

I also tried wrapping the ends of the scarf around the braid tassels so it'd look a little neater before using a hair tie to secure the braids. The style looks about the same as in my initial photos, but this way it was secure and it withstood regular moving around.

This style didn't provide a lot of ventilation to the scalp, at least for me, so it was sort of uncomfortable because it was kind of hot today. It seemed to trap a lot of heat near my head (because of the scarf I guess? I didn't use a winter scarf though, just one of those thin ones), so it could be better for colder weather. It does look rather interesting though.

FaerieToast
September 28th, 2019, 09:18 PM
I used two separate parandas, one for each side, rather than a scarf. The paranda allows you to braid past your length, and then you tie the braid off on the paranda, and not your hair. I had a couple simple parandas I previuosly made from sachay yarn. There's a YT video somewhere that I watched which showed me how to make and use the paranda, though I don't have the link to it right now. If I find it I'll link to it here!
Sounds very interesting! I looked up sachay yarn because I had been curious about how parandas worked non-damaging in hair, and now that I know it's an acrylic yarn it makes so much more sense to me.

Faerie toast,
the key to hairpins not falling out is very simple to do. I was so excited when I discovered it. It's tricky to explain but I will try.

eg for a bun, grasp all the hair, as if to make a pony tail. But do not put an elastic around it. Now twirl it around so that it twists into a bun, lying against your head. Insert the pin into the edge of the bun and angle out a bit until it touches the scalp. Maintaining contact with the scalp flip the pin and slide it back under the bun.
Do another pin from the opposite side of the bun, they will kind of interlock with each other
I do two more pins so that there are four - north, south, east and west so to speak.

It has been revolutionary. So few pins can hold so much hair. No hair ties, no clips. They barely even show.
Hope this helps.
Oh so it's kind of treated like a mini-hair stick, almost!
I picked up a pack of hairpins today and my partner let me experiment on his hair to figure it out; I was really happy that I was able to get it to work using your advice! I'm now using hairpins to secure a bun that would normally be a little droopy. Thanks so much :3

jane_marie
April 20th, 2020, 04:02 PM
I've finally managed to get the hang of this and think it might be my new go to. I have done it 3 or four days in a row now. I love how well this distributes weight.

https://i.imgur.com/XD6XB6c.jpg

neko_kawaii
April 20th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Oooo, I like the pink in your hair! I agree, this is a super comfy style.

AmaryllisRed
April 20th, 2020, 10:23 PM
I love it, and I agree about the pink! Especially perfect with your bangs and your thickness.

jane_marie
April 27th, 2020, 11:09 PM
Thank you ladies! I'm so happy to have a go-to style

TatsuOni
May 23rd, 2020, 03:00 AM
I did this yesterday as I finally have a scarf for it :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ec80b052a6b22293ee4d6db.jpg

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ec80b07ddf2b33fd67337ba.jpg

Idun
May 23rd, 2020, 04:08 AM
I did this yesterday as I finally have a scarf for it :)

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ec80b052a6b22293ee4d6db.jpg

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5ec80b07ddf2b33fd67337ba.jpg

That is super gorgeous!

TatsuOni
May 23rd, 2020, 04:21 AM
That is super gorgeous!

Thank you! :flower:

AmaryllisRed
May 24th, 2020, 07:26 PM
I agree, really gorgeous on you, Tatsu!

TatsuOni
May 25th, 2020, 07:23 AM