PDA

View Full Version : I think I have dandruff?

Reila
November 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone :) Now, I think I might have dandruff. I have pretty thin hair and have been seeing like white-ish (sometimes yellowish), like, specks.. in my hair near the scalp. Now, I don't think my scalp is dry. In fact, it's pretty oily and my hair gets pretty oily near the roots in less than a day. I'm not really sure how to describe them, but I can sometimes like scratch my scalp and pick it off (sorry for the grossness) and pull it down strands. Is this dandruff? Could it also contribute to my thin hair? I'm going tonight to get shampoo in hopes of getting rid of this problem.

I was considering buying one of Head and Shoulders shampoos.
Or would you suggest Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo? I tried this before but I don't really remember if it helped or not. :(

Any opinions would be great! Thank you guys.

danacc
November 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
There are lots of things this could be.

I would start with one of the Head and Shoulders with zinc pyrithione. If that doesn't clear it up, you can try more serious (and more expensive) anti-fungals: a Selsun Blue formula with selenium sulfide, or Nizoral which has ketoconazole.

If you need to go the more serious route, I would also recommend having a dermatologist take a look at your scalp. You may get the most relief from a prescription formula.

Vitalai
November 8th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I think I have the same thing as you do. I also thought it was dandruff, but figured out that it was actually dry, gritty sebum. Things that have helped are using diluted shampoo and scritching.

Here's two (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13058&highlight=sebum) threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7786&highlight=sebum) with more information.

Reila
November 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. I'll look over the threads for sure. :D I also went with the Head and Shoulders and am going to try using it possibly 2-3times a week and see if that works. Also, I finally went out and got Monistat last night. Hopefully it all helps!

Jessikinz
November 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm glad you made a thread about this before I did. I was gonna ask the same thing. Thanks! I'm also gonna try the Head and Shoulders, my brother uses that and nothing else.

venividibxtchy
November 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I've tried H&S and SB for months, to no avail. Here's hoping you'll have better luck.

venividibxtchy
November 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Actually, not SB. I should.

danacc
November 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
If it's fungal related, the selenium sulfide in SB is significantly more effective than H&S. (The ketoconazole in Nizoral has the same effectiveness as the selenium sulfide in SB.) If you decide to try this route, make sure the SB you pick up has selenium sulfide as an active ingredient. Selsun Blue recently introduced new lines with other active ingredients.

plainjanegirl
November 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well I am purchasing Head and Shoulders today. My dr. told me to use it cause she thinks I have dandruff and that is contributing to my hair loss. I am skeptical but we will see. If it helps and my hair grows back then I will be happy.

mommy101405
November 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I struggle with dandruff and I have found the best thing for me is T-Gel shampoo. It stinks but it works.

baobhan sith
November 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Teatree! Teatree! Finally a question i actually have something useful to say about :p

I'm pretty certain i have the same thing as you.. but sometimes i have like little scabs around my hair follicles which i can only get out by scritching.

I found just putting a little teatree in with my shampoo (just a few drops of oil) or in conditioner when COing worked wonders. I'd have also thought it would work in an oil.. and if it's really bad i've applied it topically, but i'm not so sure how good an idea that is...

Teatree's antifungal (antiseptic AND anti-viral) so it should help with just about anything. The only problem is it does smell quite strong, but i like it and it washes out, and as with anything, some people it just doesn't work for.

Good luck!:)

ktani
November 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I just posted this elsewhere. It is very good IMO, and recommends dandruff treatments.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00456.html

joyfulmom4
November 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I struggle with dandruff and I have found the best thing for me is T-Gel shampoo. It stinks but it works.

I have had intermittent problems with dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis in the past. Most of the time, I just use some Head and Shoulders shampoo when I notice even the slightest flare. If I do that, it usually keeps it from resurfacing full-scale. But if I do happen to have a bad bout with it, I use a tar-based shampoo also. I can't remember the name of mine. I had the same bottle for years, since I only applied it once every few months. It stank horribly and actually felt a little hot on my scalp. But it always worked.

Funny, I used to think my dandruff/seborrhea flared up when I didn't wash enough. But lately, I have been stretching the time between washings and my scalp has been great. Hope it stays that way. It's irritating when those flares occur.

Reila
November 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I actually did try putting tea tree in my shampoo a while ago! It didn't help much -- I actually thought I saw more gunk/flakes on the strands. Maybe that was because it was loosening up the gunk? Could that be a reason?
I also have an oil mix with some tea tree that I'm trying to find the time to use more often. I've been using H&S and Monistat for about 3 days nows and there MIGHT be less?

My only concern is that I've read people have experienced more hair shedding/loss while using H&S -- have any of you who use it experienced it also?

I just want this... gunk to go away so that I could hopefully regrow some hair (I'm still young!! :( ) and I really think that THIS is what's contributing to my thin hair. Sometimes at the end of a fallen strand, there will be this kinda big ball of gunk. :( (Sorry)

Like you, planejanegirl, I hope that one this is cleared up I can regrow some hair!!

I have kept my promise about not straightening it at all or using any products other than the occasional oil, Aussie's Hair Insurance Leave in Conditioner, and now Monistat. It has been a month now and I just see that my hair LOOKS a tad bit healthier but still thin.

I just want hair that I can be proud of T_T --- not with these gunkies and thinness!!

Reila
November 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Also, I really hope the best for you all who are experiencing dandruff too! Best wishes!