PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching coarse vs fine hair

Strawonaberry
August 30th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone :) long time no see

I'm considering fantasy color again, and I used to have a pink streak on my nape before. The place I got it done at is extremey meticoulous, they bleach without any heat or foils to protect the hair, and stop the bleaching before the hair is too damaged. They told me my hair wouldn't get to white with one session (I'm a level 6-7 blonde), so it turned a pale yellow and I got peachy pink which I really liked.

My question is, I've seen plenty of people with their hair bleached to platinum, both my natural color and darker, so I wondered if this is because of how particularly carfeul they are at this place, or is it that maybe my hair doesn't lighten very well because it's coarse? Does that make a difference?

Also which type gets more damage with bleach? I could never take a good look at my streak from up close because of it's placement, but it felt pretty much ok to touch I think. I would assume coarse hair is stronger, but I read somewhere that fine hair bleaches better, and therefore damages less?

What are the factors that affect how bleaching turns out? Does texture play a role too?

lapushka
August 31st, 2019, 07:25 AM
Your stats say your hair is medium. Just wanted to point that out.

I think they would be a little more careful with fine hair, yes.

But isn't the color you're getting enough for the fun colors? Just honest question, I have NO idea! LOL!

About the bleach questions, I think you'd have to ask your hair dresser on the details of that. I have never heard that texture makes a difference, no.

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2019, 09:04 AM
As far as I understand, porosity determines how quickly chemical processes develop - higher porosity means the chemicals can penetrate the hair shaft quicker and get to work much faster than in low porosity hair.

[To find out about porosity can be quite difficult; the float test often quoted is useless unless you do it with hairs scrubbed clean of any product, and even then it's not reliable. The way most people work out where their hair falls in terms of porosity is by observing how it responds to water and products.]

lapushka
August 31st, 2019, 09:09 AM
As far as I understand, porosity determines how quickly chemical processes develop - higher porosity means the chemicals can penetrate the hair shaft quicker and get to work much faster than in low porosity hair.

[To find out about porosity can be quite difficult; the float test often quoted is useless unless you do it with hairs scrubbed clean of any product, and even then it's not reliable. The way most people work out where their hair falls in terms of porosity is by observing how it responds to water and products.]

Most people, to contrary belief have normal porosity.

They often confuse "low" with normal, "low" means your hair refuses chemical services easily such as bleach, dye or a relaxer. It is *rare*, very rare, but people often say they are low when they mean normal. Just a pet peeve of mine.

AutobotsAttack
September 2nd, 2019, 02:25 PM
To the original post,
Find strands, while having the ability to accept chemical services faster, as a juxtaposition, tend to lose color also quicker than coarser strands. Same with higher porosity strands.

I’m willing to bet your hair isn’t as blonde as you’d like because the place you went to, favored hair health, over aesthetics.
Most people you see who have bleach blonde or platinum probably go to salons that favor the style over the condition of your hair. You also stated that the salon even voiced that you aren’t going to be as blonde with only one application. That’s normal for most people who don’t have naturally bright blonde shades anyways.

If you ask them for blonde, they’re gonna give you blonde. If you ask for platinum, you’re gonna get platinum.

I wouldn’t say the state of your hair, or it’s distinct characteristics are the main factors here, but more the techniques of the stylists you went to. Foils help to open the cuticles, and really concentrate and spread out the hairs so that the chemical can evenly coat and lighten them. Since your stylist didn’t use heat or foils, it’s safe to say that the chemical wasn’t allowed to perform to its maximum potential.

Doesn’t mean anything bad, but again, Technique is important when considering things like this. I’m willing to bet if you went to a salon that really prioritizes style over health, you’d end up with a very blonde or platinum color (in the instance you asked for that again), obviously the state of your hair would be compromised though.

So I porosity and strand size are factors to consider, they still come in second place to Technique. Even super coarse strands, with the right technique will get very blonde.

CherryFrizz
September 2nd, 2019, 05:52 PM
I have significantly more porous hair near my ends than near my scalp (due to damage). My hair is fine.

I once bleached in highlights at home. The bleach took the color out super fast - in maybe 1/3 of the time the box suggested. I did not notice a difference in the power of the bleach on the ends versus the roots.

I do find that the porosity impacts how products, including hair dye, are absorbed by my hair, but it seemed like the bleach wasn't affected. I do think the fineness of my hair made the bleach work much faster.

(Side note, I don't think fine hair is less damaged by bleach than other thicknesses. If I had left the bleach on as long as the box said, my hair would have crumbled!)