PDA

View Full Version : Short hair vs long hair

August 22nd, 2019, 11:05 AM
https://youtu.be/fgeqSoLgccU

...the problem with thick hair is most of these things occur at shorter lengths too. Unless you buzz everything off. But then it's really hard to finish the whole cut if you do it yourself (there's so much hair that trimming is never-ending) or you fall asleep at the hairdressers (for the same reason, it takes so long to finish the cut...).

SleepyTangles
August 22nd, 2019, 11:22 AM
I kinda want that sink! Damn, it´d be so easy to wash in a hurry without splashing anywhere...
I thought the girl with the bob eating was kinda silly: just tie it higher, not at the nape! My hair is roughly 3 to 5 cm shorter, yet I can tie it this way.
Plus, headbands. When i´m at home and I don´t want my bangs on my face, a nice thin headband is the most comfortable thing ever.

Also, kind of fun considering that in Europe length has less impact on how much you are going to spend to the hairdresser. I´d say that a longer haired person goes less frequently to the hairdresser, so whatever extra product may be needed by the stylist is compensated by the fact that you don´t have to get to the salon every month (or every two/three months). Note that the long haired girl didn´t pay for a cut, but for extra treatments, a wave perm and something called "hair clinic" (which I have no idea what it is, but I´d bet for some kind of "health" treatment).

blackgothicdoll
August 22nd, 2019, 11:27 AM
When my hair was longer, and I got relaxed, I got double extra charges, long and thick. Then I stopped getting relaxers and cut off the relaxed hair, thinking I was getting over, but apparently salons have a 'natural hair fee'. :/ So I paid as much.

Last time I got a wash, style and cut, I paid $80 not including tip. My hair was maybe chin length.

I still have like 2 whole hairstyles lol so can't related.

blackgothicdoll
August 22nd, 2019, 11:29 AM
double post

daisy rei
August 22nd, 2019, 11:50 AM
The amount of short haired people taking offense in the comments.... :bigeyes:

August 22nd, 2019, 11:56 AM
Heheh, I know I started it, but I meant more, like, about hair getting everywhere and stuff ;).

I've been at the hairdresser's maybe thrice(!) in my life, each time just for a cut, last time for that buzzcut... It was beautiful but I almost falled asleep and later had something weird in my hair... I think they didn't clean their clippers well :/. So I went to the store and bought clippers that can be put under running water, they're quite amazing. Doing the cut by myself requires some muscle, though, heh.

MusicalSpoons
August 22nd, 2019, 11:57 AM

First rule of the internet - don't read the comments! :p

Re the video: *how* much shampoo did the longhaired one use?!?! :thud:
(Actually about the same amount as my brother, who has ear-length hair. Scrubadubadub :doh:)

August 22nd, 2019, 12:42 PM

Huh? Am I not understanding something?

I meant they're the same (ie annoying, I'm quite unhappy with my hair both in bob and classic).

SleepyTangles, expensive cuts is the thing... My mom used to have a bob and kept getting it cut at the hairdressers, it was quite expensive. I think it was cheaper when she let her hair grow out, she only spent money on henna... Which is expensive too *shrugs*. But I guess cuts + chemical dye costs more than just the henna? Now she has bob again but I cut it for her.

SleepyTangles
August 22nd, 2019, 05:13 PM
I think pathetic meant the comments under the youtube video!:o

For me, long hair is definitively cheaper. I can trim and micro-trim perfectly my hair, and even cutting it decently, if i can bring it to the front.

iforgotmylogin
August 22nd, 2019, 06:51 PM
I have always found hair that is long enough to tie back more practical.

1. I can cut it myself (as stated above)
2. I find it easier to tame
3. Don't have to cut it as often
4. Warmer in winter

And 5. I can keep it off my skin, unlike hair that is a few cm long or longer. This is a big plus in a hot climate. A buzz cut achieves the same (with a bit more airflow to the scalp), but requires maintenance

August 23rd, 2019, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I loved buzzed hair for that reason... But it's so cold in the winter :(. That alone is enough to discourage me from buzzing again *sighs*.

cjk
August 23rd, 2019, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I loved buzzed hair for that reason... But it's so cold in the winter :(. That alone is enough to discourage me from buzzing again *sighs*.

Beanies. Stocking caps.

I kept my head completely shaved for several years. Stubble helps keep the hat on but, other than that, cold was not an issue because a beanie works beautifully.

Don't give up on a hairstyle, whatever it might be, just because weather MIGHT impact you. Same goes for long hair in the summertime, I'm currently in pigtail braids.

iforgotmylogin
August 23rd, 2019, 11:15 AM
Beanies don't do much past your ears

spidermom
August 23rd, 2019, 05:41 PM
I have this love/hate thing with hair. I love how it looks long, but the way it fluffs out and tickles my face and neck drives me crazy! I can never keep everything contained; hairs work their way free all over the place. However, I don't want it to be as short as it would have to be to stay completely off my neck and out of my face. So I struggle.

Groovy Granny
August 23rd, 2019, 05:58 PM
Short cuts are cute but way too much work for me, not to mention how much time and money it costs to maintain it.

Long hair is versatile and fun to style; I can maintain myself it at no cost and style it in just minutes.

It only needs cleaning once a week usually, dries quickly by itself and even self curls ;)

It is warm in Winter, cool in Summer, and easy to tuck out of the way when needed for hats, sleep, or chores.

LONG it is for me :thumbsup:

Hexen
August 24th, 2019, 01:25 AM
I live in a region where temps reach well past the 90'sF and often into the 100+ range. And I still wear my beanie, which completely covers my ears, everywhere I go. Doesnt matter.

I wear it to bed, in the shower, swimming, sky diving, at the hairdresser while I'm getting a wash and a trim...You name it.
If there was an anti-beanie convention, I'd wear it there. lol

But short vs long is rather subjective.
It really just boils down to what someone wants, and is willing to live with.

cjk
August 24th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Beanies don't do much past your ears

As a boy, now a man, I've never had significant hair below my ears, until last year. In fact even when I had hair, I preferred whitewalls which involves literally shaving the sideburn area.

You say "below your ears" as if it's somehow a big deal. Why?

Could you please explain your thought? You've piqued my curiosity.

iforgotmylogin
August 24th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Hair longer than the beanie covers more than the beanie does

MusicalSpoons
August 24th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Hair longer than the beanie covers more than the beanie does

Unleas it's bunned ;)

Hexen
August 24th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Degenerates like me dont wear them to provide sanctuary to the upper halves of our torsos.

Although I wouldnt mind acquiring a slightly over sized one that could also serve as a sleeping bag when I went camping.

JackintheBox
August 31st, 2019, 01:32 PM
I have always found hair that is long enough to tie back more practical.

Agreed. If it's 1-2" then it's easier for sure, though you have to get it cut pretty often. Otherwise long hair is actually much easier to deal with and it is adaptable.

Dark40
August 31st, 2019, 04:54 PM
I agree with forgotmylogin. I have always found hair that is long enough to tie back more practical.

1, I can cut it myself but I prefer it long.
2. I find it easier to tame and take care of
3. Don't have to cut it as often
4. Warmer in the winter months

You can't do nothing with short hair.

samwoodblack
October 15th, 2019, 01:48 AM
I had long hair
and I had boy hair cut
Long hair is better and more comfortable

fraukakao
October 15th, 2019, 12:07 PM
As I can finally tie my hair back again I can only agree with forgotmylogin and Dark40!
And I do feel the last sequence of the video so bad. Every day short hair, not much variation here even if I try. Long hair for the win! :) Can't wait for it to grow.

ZoeZ
October 16th, 2019, 07:41 AM
I have APL-ish hair for the first time in my life, and I love it! No hairstylists ruining my head with a bad cut every few weeks with the old-lady cut style #3 (do they ever look at older women's faces to try and see what suits us?)- less expensive (even with the extra conditioner) and I can throw it up in a claw clip with just a finger comb and it looks decent enough to go out. I will never willingly go back to short hair.

Cheers!

Vacurlylady
October 17th, 2019, 07:59 AM
I feel like I can weigh in here with my thoughts on short hair vs long hair.

After a life time of different pixie styles, my last being spiked for ten years or more, and now having my hair to almost APL. (Maybe APL isn’t long compared to a lot of lovely heads of hair on here, but to me it feels long)

I had the same stylist for 15 years. She always did exactly what I wanted.

I never noticed my head being cold during the winter because I never had long hair for comparison. I live in an area that has four seasons! Yes, keeping my hair in the style I wanted was costly, every 2-3 week trims. I enjoyed a fresh cut tho and the freedom of getting ready. It was quick from deciding to leave the house and leaving! Ha!

Now at APL. I love being able to do different up dos. But, I never know how I will wear my hair before I leave the house. It depends on my success of my style or bun. I’m guessing with more practice and more length it will become quicker and easier. Another thing with long hair I’m having to learn to get used to is hair shedding. Haha.

Right now, my hair is my hobby so I am loving this journey. I just woke up one day and decided at 58, I always wanted to know what it was like to have long hair. 😊

It just all depends on preference.

lapushka
October 17th, 2019, 08:30 AM
I feel like I can weigh in here with my thoughts on short hair vs long hair.

After a life time of different pixie styles, my last being spiked for ten years or more, and now having my hair to almost APL. (Maybe APL isn’t long compared to a lot of lovely heads of hair on here, but to me it feels long)

I had the same stylist for 15 years. She always did exactly what I wanted.

I never noticed my head being cold during the winter because I never had long hair for comparison. I live in an area that has four seasons! Yes, keeping my hair in the style I wanted was costly, every 2-3 week trims. I enjoyed a fresh cut tho and the freedom of getting ready. It was quick from deciding to leave the house and leaving! Ha!

Now at APL. I love being able to do different up dos. But, I never know how I will wear my hair before I leave the house. It depends on my success of my style or bun. I’m guessing with more practice and more length it will become quicker and easier. Another thing with long hair I’m having to learn to get used to is hair shedding. Haha.

Right now, my hair is my hobby so I am loving this journey. I just woke up one day and decided at 58, I always wanted to know what it was like to have long hair. ��

It just all depends on preference.

That is definitely true! ^^

Arciela
October 17th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Long hair has *always* been easier for me.

My hair is quite thick so when it is short I get the dreaded triangle look. It also gets dry easily...and when its short I can't tie it back well enough!

When its long..it weighs itself down more, washing is a breeze (I cowash) and once it gets on my nerves..up it goes! I don't have to get any hair cuts anymore either.

Chromis
October 17th, 2019, 05:05 PM
First rule of the internet - don't read the comments! :p

Re the video: *how* much shampoo did the longhaired one use?!?! :thud:
(Actually about the same amount as my brother, who has ear-length hair. Scrubadubadub :doh:)

My husband uses waaaaay more than me. His hair is less than an inch long and mine is calf length. I seriously do not understand. That is not even taking into account washing frequency!

jane_marie
October 17th, 2019, 05:11 PM
I find both long and short to be easy to deal with. Though, now that I'm growing it out I think long might be slightly harder though that is likely because of my layer woes I have recently posted about.

I think the key to shorter cuts is to get a good stylist and make sure they know to cut your hair in a way that will work with your natural texture instead of pilling product on top of to create something unlike what you naturally have.

MadelineMomo
October 18th, 2019, 09:26 AM
My barber would charge more when my hair was a pixie. When it got to the point that it was just trimming the ends, she started charging me half-price. She's great :D

GlacierLacie
October 18th, 2019, 02:31 PM
When i get cold i used my hair as a little blanket to keep me warm sometimes, it really works. I love having long hair because it hides my face in school and i can easily sleep haha
Or sometimes in public when people stare at me i used my hair to hide my face. In terms of hairstyles though im not the best at them, but i will say i just tried helping my sister who has shoulder length hair with a new hairstyle for work and i couldnt do anything with it so it's definitely a plus to have longer hair if you need it out of your face