PDA

View Full Version : question about coconut oil

hollygolightly
August 22nd, 2019, 09:59 AM
we're going through winter in this side of the world, so I was wondering if anyone knew what proportion of oil does it take to make coconut oil stay liquid rather than solid. For example: one tbsp olive oil or another liquid oil to three tsp coconut oil

ChloeDharma
August 22nd, 2019, 10:54 AM
I've used a pre brought mix of coconut and sesame oil called "Trichup oil" where the percentage of coconut is 20% and the oil stayed liquid even in the cold. I know that a 50% mix with coconut oil will solidify as that is the proportion used in the Pune Mahabhringaraj oil and that needs to be melted before use. I was actually thinking about preparing an infused hair oil for the winter and was wondering what proportions to use this year so it's interesting that your question is asked now.

hollygolightly
August 22nd, 2019, 08:36 PM
ok so i've been experimenting, i started with 1 tsp coconut oil to 1 tsp castor oil. I know castor oil is really thick but the purpose of the question was making a coconut oil castor oil blend. With 1:1 it got solid, with 1 tsp coconut oil to 2 tsp castor oil it also got solid. Now i'm at 1:4 and it still solidifies. I'm gonna keep experimenting and share the results but I think that if the coconut oil is that much diluted, for me is not worth it. I was thinking of making a blend in which coconut oil is the main oil, but I think it's scientifically impossible :(

hollygolightly
August 22nd, 2019, 09:07 PM
1:5 and it still solidifies, but now is more the consistency of a butter rather than an oil and I can even whip it. So my experiment is officially done.

https://i.imgur.com/Xp0wUUf.jpg?1

It has a really really nice consistency, when I whip it it gets a lot of peaks and it's really soft, shiny and buttery like a cream. I like that about my steph arizona's coconut cream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJerH_oMNk). Is much easier to apply on the scalp since it stays solid but it also easily melts in my hands.

ETA: I got tempted and tried it on my skin. It's really thick. I'm gonna dilute it more

milosmomma
August 22nd, 2019, 09:16 PM
I have heard of fractionated coconut oil which stays in liquid state at all temos but have never tried it. My hair isnt a big coconut fan so I use a lot of other oils. Maybe you could experiment with some other kinds during the winter?

Julescarm
August 22nd, 2019, 10:02 PM
I typically melt the oil in my palms and apply it on my hair. Is there a benefit to melting it? I'm genuinely curious.

Elizabeth E
August 23rd, 2019, 01:34 AM
I used to mix coconut oil with other oils in a ratio of 1(coconut oil): 4 (other oils) and it still got solid every winter. Eventually I omitted the coconut oil and just make my oil mix from olive, castor, grapeseed and flaxseed oil. I hope you find something that works for you :)