PDA

View Full Version : Silk Press Thread

Dark40
August 19th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Hi all,

What do you think about silk presses? What do you think of this silk press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpmDwRh3FGE

Alexandrina
August 19th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Never heard of it, but I skimmed through your linked video, and it seems like she put a serum in her hair, blow dried it with a round brush for 30 minutes, then used more products, then flat ironed it for 30 minutes.

Is that a silk press? And it only lasts till you wash, then you have to do a whole hour of heat again? That sounds very damaging, I dunno... Maybe if you only did it once in a while.

lapushka
August 19th, 2019, 02:10 PM
I think it is a very damaging process, especially if you do it more than once a month! I would not recommend this if you want to grow long and healthy hair. Maybe one or two times a year would still be OK, but any heat like THAT is damaging.

Groovy Granny
August 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
I am really not qualified to reply...so I removed my original response.

Just do your homework and be careful; it would sadden me greatly to have a dear LHC peep suffer hair damage :(

In the meantime...I will lurk and learn...just to gain insight (it is pretty) :popcorn:

hennalove
August 19th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

What do you think about silk presses? What do you think of this silk press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpmDwRh3FGE

When I flat ironed my hair, I used the silk press method. The only thing I used was a heat serum so if I were to flat iron again, that is the method I would use. Done properly and maintained, it will last 7 or more days.

With respect to heat, I'm currently going for length so no heat other than the low blowdryer I just recently went back too. All heat is damaging so they say although that has not been my experience but I only flat ironed at most say maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I really haven't seen much in the way of damage but that doesn't mean it's not there. If you are maintaining with regular trims and that's the look you want then I see no reason not to do silk presses.

Dark40
August 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Never heard of it, but I skimmed through your linked video, and it seems like she put a serum in her hair, blow dried it with a round brush for 30 minutes, then used more products, then flat ironed it for 30 minutes.

Is that a silk press? And it only lasts till you wash, then you have to do a whole hour of heat again? That sounds very damaging, I dunno... Maybe if you only did it once in a while.

Hmmm, Yes I know a lot of people haven't heard of it. It's been around for while. I've had it done to my hair back in 2015, and the way it's done is the stylist shampoos and conditions the hair first. Then, blow -dry with a brush. Then he/she flat-irons in very small sections like the stylist did in my video link.

Dark40
August 19th, 2019, 02:55 PM
When I flat ironed my hair, I used the silk press method. The only thing I used was a heat serum so if I were to flat iron again, that is the method I would use. Done properly and maintained, it will last 7 or more days.

With respect to heat, I'm currently going for length so no heat other than the low blowdryer I just recently went back too. All heat is damaging so they say although that has not been my experience but I only flat ironed at most say maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I really haven't seen much in the way of damage but that doesn't mean it's not there. If you are maintaining with regular trims and that's the look you want then I see no reason not to do silk presses.

Ok, yes that was an excellent method you used when flat ironing and doing the silk press. I've only had it done once on me, and that was 4 years ago. I don't get it done that often with respect to using heat. I am with you on the note too about going for length. The only kind of heat I use on my hair is when I'm blow-drying too, and that is on low heat for only 5 minutes. The majority of my hair is 100% dry but I always like for my hair to be straight without any curls or waves in it.

blackgothicdoll
August 19th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I have an entire album dedicated to what heat damage from this sort of process looks like. That being said, I stay away from 'professionals'. They get the hair very straight, but at what cost... It's almost like growing out a relaxer the texture difference is that severe. It is very miserable.

jane_marie
August 19th, 2019, 03:29 PM
I don't know. That much heat/chemicals makes me a bit nervous... then again I was recently stupid enough to bleach before henna... so what do I know?

Dark40
August 20th, 2019, 04:51 PM
The stylist didn't use any chemicals on the client's hair. She just used "Olaplex 6." I've never heard of that part of Olaplex. The only part I've heard of is up to Olaplex 3 the deep conditioning treatment. But if she had used too many chemicals on her hair that would also make me nervous too. Yeah, I didn't know that you could get blonde hair been using henna either.

milosmomma
August 20th, 2019, 07:02 PM
I have no experience with silk press, but watching the video it just looks the same as straightening. One thing that stood out to me is how amazingly beautiful her hair is BEFORE the straightening. That mane was spectacular!

spidermom
August 20th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Nice results if you aren't planning to grow long.

jane_marie
August 20th, 2019, 08:10 PM
The stylist didn't use any chemicals on the client's hair. She just used "Olaplex 6." I've never heard of that part of Olaplex. The only part I've heard of is up to Olaplex 3 the deep conditioning treatment. But if she had used too many chemicals on her hair that would also make me nervous too. Yeah, I didn't know that you could get blonde hair been using henna either.

Huh? I wasn't trying to go blonde. It's a long story.. it's fine though. The color is good now.

That much heat still makes me nervous regardless of the chemicals but I don't have that hair type so I have no ability at all to weigh out if it would be terribly damaging or not.

Dark40
August 20th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Huh? I wasn't trying to go blonde. It's a long story.. it's fine though. The color is good now.

That much heat still makes me nervous regardless of the chemicals but I don't have that hair type so I have no ability at all to weigh out if it would be terribly damaging or not.

Oh, ok I didn't know that you weren't trying to go blonde or not. I'm glad to hear that the color is good now.

Yeah, I know whatcha mean about using that much heat on the hair. Especially, if you have that hair type and texture to apply 400 degrees with a flat-iron. That is entirely too much heat for me! When I flat-iron my hair which is not that often the hottest I put my flat-iron on is 340 degrees with my relaxed hair, and I only go through one of 2 passes. But in the meantime as I do flat-iron or at anytime I'm using heat I always use a heat protectant.

blackgothicdoll
August 20th, 2019, 09:38 PM
That round brush is incredible damaging for coarse strands. I've gotten mid shaft splits from those sharp bristles and the only fix for that type of split is shaving or growing out. I've also gotten scabs on my scalp from a similar method, the blow dryer was far too hot. My hair smelled burnt after washing and it lasted for months. That was a Dominican salon, I avoid those now.

The ladies hair is incredible though. I think those treatments are fine on occasion but there is a level of trust. It only takes one time and one stylist to completely destroy the hair or scalp... That's what keeps me away. May be for a special occasion but....probably not likely.

AutobotsAttack
August 21st, 2019, 02:02 PM
I personally don’t care for Cyn Doll or her videos. She’s about as mediocre as they come.
There’s far more skilled, professionals out there that know how to silk press and allow the natural curl pattern to still remain in tact.

Not to mention, I have no idea where this assumption is coming from that this is somehow permanent, or that many naturals do this frequently. That’s what I’m getting from these earlier comments. The lady is not using chemicals! She specifically states it is Olaplex 6. Which is the bond smoother. More or less a fancy/more expensive version of a moisturizer.

But once again:

The products that you use, the type of heat tool that you use, and the amount of money you’re willing to pay for a professional, as well as the skill and knowledge that the professional has will determine the success or lacktherof in silk presses.

It’s also partially called a silk press because it is a service that isn’t done often.

Plenty of natural haired women who get the occasional silk press still have their hair revert completely.

Case in point:

https://youtu.be/2o2D3Un2ajo

It’s all about Technique. Technique. Technique.

Yes there’s opportunity for damage, breakage, and everything else, but again, it comes down to Technique. If you’re lacking technique or your stylist is, obviously that’s when stuff starts to go downhill.

AutobotsAttack
August 21st, 2019, 02:05 PM
Another example of complete hair reversion

https://youtu.be/X6llt5f9UTY

There’s hundreds of them on YouTube, so I rest my case.

AutobotsAttack
August 21st, 2019, 02:09 PM
Oh look, another one:

https://youtu.be/DqG_ZvUtJrA

I would also like to add:

Not every stylist uses a round brush, not every stylist uses a fine tooth comb, and not every stylist has the same blow drying or flat ironing Method.

Silk presses are very nice to watch, and once or twice a year I do one myself.

Im also kind of amused, by how some of the posters on here are so quick to criticize literally anything. Hair can still grow long with the occasional use of heat. I apply a chemical straightener to my hair, and it is currently, pretty much classic length. I think it’s obvious that length is still attainable with a structured, well thought out, regimen, and adhering to basic principles and understanding how hair behaves in general.

lapushka
August 21st, 2019, 03:17 PM
Nevertheless, blow drying on high heat to get it as smooth as possible, then straightening on the hottest temperature? I don't think that's a good idea - at all. And a lot of people might not get heat damage from one go, but you can't keep this up or it is going to end in disaster. There's a reason you don't see this done often on natural channels! :flower:

BerrySara
August 21st, 2019, 04:04 PM
Well I think its quite impressive and beautiful how silky soft and sleek the end results look because that is hard to achieve with curly and kinky hair. As a curly haired, back in my teen years, I spent many a times having a hair dresser try to straighten my hair with a flat iron for 3-4 hours, only to revert back to an uneven frizzy mess of part curly, part wavy and part straight before I ever arrived to whatever event I was trying to impress. Side tracking here but I wish I could go back and tell myself you don't need to look any certain way for anyone else but you know..as a teenager I probably wouldn't have listened to adult me anyway :hmm:... So yea I think the silk press results are gorgeous and they seem to last well until wash day from what I have seen.

However, to me, it just isn't worth the risk of heat damage. Technique and tools or not, I don't get to study the resume and ask for a process demonstration prior to booking a hair dresser. So its risky. Even reviews can only help so much and you would have to find reviews specific to the process you want...idk, that's a lot of work with enough risk that I just don't find it worth it. Same reason why I decided some years ago to learn to cut my own hair.

Now if only I can eliminate my exponentially increasing interest in trying to dye/henna my hair..:hatchet:

AutobotsAttack
August 21st, 2019, 04:32 PM
Nevertheless, blow drying on high heat to get it as smooth as possible, then straightening on the hottest temperature? I don't think that's a good idea - at all. And a lot of people might not get heat damage from one go, but you can't keep this up or it is going to end in disaster. There's a reason you don't see this done often on natural channels! :flower:

That’s literally what I said:

“It’s also partially called a silk press because it is a service that isn’t done often”

Or where I said:

“I have no idea where this assumption is coming from...that many natural do this frequently.”

And Where did you see me say that high heat isn’t damaging? I don’t know why you're assuming this isn’t something I don’t already know.

PillowBook
August 21st, 2019, 05:15 PM
I was very confused by Lapushka's response to you as well, Autobots...

Anyway, I just wanted to quote this because it is such a sage observation...

I'm also kind of amused, by how some of the posters on here are so quick to criticize literally anything. Hair can still grow long with the occasional use of heat. I apply a chemical straightener to my hair, and it is currently, pretty much classic length. I think it’s obvious that length is still attainable with a structured, well thought out, regimen, and adhering to basic principles and understanding how hair behaves in general.

Thank you for your insight and clear thinking. :o

Dark40
August 21st, 2019, 05:53 PM
I totally agree with what AutobotsAttack is saying. Just because you use heat on your hair does not mean you cannot grow to extreme lengths.I've been able to grow to 2 inches below WL and I only blow dry on low heat. You cannot avoid using heat sometimes. I've even said in my OP that, "Every time I use heat I use a heat protectant." What is wrong with using a blow dryer or a flat-iron to get bone straight hair?

blackgothicdoll
August 21st, 2019, 06:08 PM
I totally agree with what AutobotsAttack is saying. Just because you use heat on your hair does not mean you cannot grow to extreme lengths.I've been able to grow to 2 inches below WL and I only blow dry on low heat. You cannot avoid using heat sometimes. I've even said in my OP that, "Every time I use heat I use a heat protectant." What is wrong with using a blow dryer or a flat-iron to get bone straight hair?

In what scenario can you not avoid using heat?

I don't consider WL to be an extreme length. You also said you only use low heat. This video is definitely not low heat.

It's not "wrong" it's just damaging. Heat protectant doesn't miraculously evade the mechanical damage from brushes and of course, that high amount of heat. It's still happening and effecting the strands. Yes it definitely provides a buffer that not using any heat protectant would (though I recall a study that disproves certain types of heat protectants) but it's not the panacea of potential damage. Not all damage is shown by loss of curls, but that's what happened to me so that's what I refer too. That's the worst type of damage outside of breakage, IMO. The hair will never be the same until it's gone. And it only takes once.

Dark40
August 21st, 2019, 06:52 PM
In what scenario can you not avoid using heat?

I don't consider WL to be an extreme length. You also said you only use low heat. This video is definitely not low heat.

It's not "wrong" it's just damaging. Heat protectant doesn't miraculously evade the mechanical damage from brushes and of course, that high amount of heat. It's still happening and effecting the strands. Yes it definitely provides a buffer that not using any heat protectant would (though I recall a study that disproves certain types of heat protectants) but it's not the panacea of potential damage. Not all damage is shown by loss of curls, but that's what happened to me so that's what I refer too. That's the worst type of damage outside of breakage, IMO. The hair will never be the same until it's gone. And it only takes once.

The scenerio that I can't avoid using heat is that I like for my hair to be straight. Not curly all of the time.

I know that WL isn't extreme lengths. That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about growing to longer lengths than what my length is now.

Yes, I did say that I use low heat, and through my experience using a heat protectant is like a buffer to protect is against heat. But I have not seen any mechanical damage. Or, I haven't seen any damage at all. Or, I wouldn't have reached the length that I'm at now. i would've had to cut off some hair, and start all over again if it was damaged, and it's not just because I use 5 minutes of heat.

And let me tell you something....another lady I know named, "JJJLonghair," uses heat on her hair after every wash. But when she was wearing her hair to her knees she said on her webpage that she used a blow dryer after every wash but she was only washing her hair once a week. So, you can have extemely long hair and use heat on it without it getting damaged. You just have to know the right products to use to prevent the damage. Here's the link to her webpage:

http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/6.html

lapushka
August 22nd, 2019, 05:31 AM

A blow dryer on warm/cool is fine (not high heat), but a straightener or curling iron can give you white dots and break the hair. It is not an innocent tool.

sapphire-o
August 22nd, 2019, 05:52 AM
I'm not experienced with anything like this. Just want to say to OP that I think 3a hair is just dreamy. Curls are sooo pretty. One of my sons has long curly hair. I can't take my eyes off his hair if he's walking ahead of me. :D

cjk
August 22nd, 2019, 07:27 AM

As with all things, individual results can and will vary.

Obviously you know how to use heat. And you know how to stave off damage from that heat. AND, your hair responds favorably to heat.

My hair, on the other hand, does not. It is very sensitive to heat. And judging from the responses, I'm not alone in that.

As is true for so many things, individual results will vary.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2019, 08:19 AM
As with all things, individual results can and will vary.

Obviously you know how to use heat. And you know how to stave off damage from that heat. AND, your hair responds favorably to heat.

My hair, on the other hand, does not. It is very sensitive to heat. And judging from the responses, I'm not alone in that.

As is true for so many things, individual results will vary.

As long as you know what you're getting yourself in for when high heat is concerned, all the better. ;) I'm not knocking it, just pointing out the dangers, because it's not generally considered good hair care, I'm afraid.

blackgothicdoll
August 22nd, 2019, 10:57 AM
I don't understand why some of the responses to this thread are so.... heated.

:cool:

Begemot
August 22nd, 2019, 11:08 AM

Same, yikes. Could this thread turn out to be worthy of making some popcorn... :popcorn:

jane_marie
August 22nd, 2019, 11:10 AM

Yes...

https://i.imgur.com/TZ4F6.gif

MusicalSpoons
August 22nd, 2019, 11:54 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/7880/32481341557_ddf3c8fdd8_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Rugndi)
;) (https://flic.kr/p/Rugndi) :laugh: very good!

Dark40
August 22nd, 2019, 11:55 AM
A blow dryer on warm/cool is fine (not high heat), but a straightener or curling iron can give you white dots and break the hair. It is not an innocent tool.

Yes, that's what I'm referring too. Not using high heat

lapushka
August 22nd, 2019, 04:07 PM
Yes, that's what I'm referring too. Not using high heat

Ah OK. :thumbsup:

Dark40
August 23rd, 2019, 06:54 PM
Ah OK. :thumbsup:

Yes. :thumbsup:

AutobotsAttack
August 23rd, 2019, 07:45 PM

If you’re talking about one of my posts I can clear up the not understanding part.

Only reason it irritates me is because silk pressing when done in moderation isn’t a big deal. If it doesn’t work for someone they don’t have to do it.

Heat is damaging we all get that. But In moderation it’s just another means of different hair practices.

By comparison, it would be like asking that same question you asked, if someone defended practices such as dyeing their hair, bleaching it, or relaxing it.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 24th, 2019, 03:05 AM
Her hair looks beautiful before and after the process. But I cringe at seeing that heat being applied to the hair. My hair wanted to curl up and hide in the wardrobe rather than watch....

I wonder how much damage it did? It would certainly have done some.

lapushka
August 24th, 2019, 07:33 AM
If you’re talking about one of my posts I can clear up the not understanding part.

Only reason it irritates me is because silk pressing when done in moderation isn’t a big deal. If it doesn’t work for someone they don’t have to do it.

Heat is damaging we all get that. But In moderation it’s just another means of different hair practices.

By comparison, it would be like asking that same question you asked, if someone defended practices such as dyeing their hair, bleaching it, or relaxing it.

Nevertheless, those practices even done once are damaging to the hair.

There's not only one way, say virgin hair, and no heat. I don't think that at all, but if you are going to do dye, bleach, relaxing, straightening, you have to *realize* it comes with a certain price tag.

That's all. You can't say it's "all OK", it does damage, that is a mere fact.

ETA/ And this comes from someone who diffuses weekly (does use some form of heat, well "warmth") and who used to dye and henna and bleach and perm in the past. I know what I did came with a price tag. Still I did it.

AutobotsAttack
August 24th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Nevertheless, those practices even done once are damaging to the hair.

There's not only one way, say virgin hair, and no heat. I don't think that at all, but if you are going to do dye, bleach, relaxing, straightening, you have to *realize* it comes with a certain price tag.

That's all. You can't say it's "all OK", it does damage, that is a mere fact.

ETA/ And this comes from someone who diffuses weekly (does use some form of heat, well "warmth") and who used to dye and henna and bleach and perm in the past. I know what I did came with a price tag. Still I did it.

I really don’t know how many times I have to state that I understand that heat is damaging. You keep stating stuff I’ve already said, and implying stuff I didn’t even say.

MusicalSpoons
August 24th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Just going to quote this paragraph from a comment all the way back on page 2 because people seem to have either skipped right over it or at least completely forgotten:

Hair can still grow long with the occasional use of heat. I apply a chemical straightener to my hair, and it is currently, pretty much classic length. I think it’s obvious that length is still attainable with a structured, well thought out, regimen, and adhering to basic principles and understanding how hair behaves in general.

Autobots has never suggested that heat is not damaging, or that it's okay to do regularly - or even that it's okay to go into it oblivious! - so I really don't see the problem :confused:

I personally don't want the hassle of having to try to make up for even occasional heat damage in my routine; my hair is wimpy enough as it is and I don't have any more energy to give it than I already do. But we have members on here who are living proof that some hair can withstand modest amounts of damage - occasional heat, one or two rounds of bleach, maintaining chemical dye, careful and judicious use of other chemical processes, even wearing very long hair down more than only rarely. We also have some members who have virgin hair that splits and/or breaks easily despite extremely protective routines, thereby living proof that some hair cannot take any damage beyond simply existing.

lapushka
August 24th, 2019, 03:10 PM
I really don’t know how many times I have to state that I understand that heat is damaging. You keep stating stuff I’ve already said, and implying stuff I didn’t even say.

It is a general comment. I don't see what I did wrong with that.

PillowBook
August 24th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Lapushka, please refer to the post you quoted and responded to Autobots on page 4, post #39 of this thread.

She says heat is damaging and then you come back with "nevertheless, those practices even done once are damaging to the hair".

I don't get it.

AutobotsAttack
August 24th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Just going to quote this paragraph from a comment all the way back on page 2 because people seem to have either skipped right over it or at least completely forgotten:

Autobots has never suggested that heat is not damaging, or that it's okay to do regularly - or even that it's okay to go into it oblivious! - so I really don't see the problem :confused:

I personally don't want the hassle of having to try to make up for even occasional heat damage in my routine; my hair is wimpy enough as it is and I don't have any more energy to give it than I already do. But we have members on here who are living proof that some hair can withstand modest amounts of damage - occasional heat, one or two rounds of bleach, maintaining chemical dye, careful and judicious use of other chemical processes, even wearing very long hair down more than only rarely. We also have some members who have virgin hair that splits and/or breaks easily despite extremely protective routines, thereby living proof that some hair cannot take any damage beyond simply existing.

Thanks for the clarification. I do really appreciate it. ;)

RottenMango
August 25th, 2019, 05:26 PM
I’ve had silk presses done on my hair at 450 F and my hair reverted right back every single time. Still, I am afraid to do it again because all it takes is one time to ruin 7 years of progress. It comes out so beautiful. Very tempting. I haven’t used any heat in 2 years. I’ve only used heat three times in the past seven years and last time was summer 2017.

Dark40
August 25th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I haven't had a silk press done in 4 years. I also barely use any heat on my hair too. Yes, I'm afraid of doing it again too. Because, of ruining 10 years of progress. It does come out very beautiful, and it is also very tempting. I'm really proud of you that you haven't used heat since the summer of 2017!

Wendyclaire
August 26th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Too much! And the way the stylist was yanking on her hair! Ouch!

Dark40
August 26th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I was surprised myself that the stylist didn't pull any of her client's hair out! Ouch is right!

honeybee93
August 27th, 2019, 09:33 AM
I have done these on myself as well as had them professionally done. The results are beautiful but I learned the hard way that for MY hair, the super-straight effect from chasing my straightener with a comb is extremely damaging (again, to MY hair). I accidentally thinned out my ends significantly after becoming slightly addicted to using the comb-chase method and doing it every time I straightened my hair (1x per week). Might have been the fact that I used such a fine-tooth comb but that's the kind my hair dresser used. It freaked me out and I no longer do that--I got a trim and have sworn off of using that method except for special occasions when I'd like the super super straight look. I can still achieve straight hair without this method and my ends seem better off for it (see avatar picture for my hair straightened the regular way, without chasing).

AutobotsAttack
August 27th, 2019, 08:25 PM
I have done these on myself as well as had them professionally done. The results are beautiful but I learned the hard way that for MY hair, the super-straight effect from chasing my straightener with a comb is extremely damaging (again, to MY hair). I accidentally thinned out my ends significantly after becoming slightly addicted to using the comb-chase method and doing it every time I straightened my hair (1x per week). Might have been the fact that I used such a fine-tooth comb but that's the kind my hair dresser used. It freaked me out and I no longer do that--I got a trim and have sworn off of using that method except for special occasions when I'd like the super super straight look. I can still achieve straight hair without this method and my ends seem better off for it (see avatar picture for my hair straightened the regular way, without chasing).

I love that you mentioned that. I remember when i first tried to use to comb chasing method, and couldnt even get the comb past my roots. If i do decide to silk press 1 or 2 times out of the year i completely skip the comb chase method, and detangle with my fingers. doubles the amount of time spent overall, but very worth it in terms of mitigating breakage for me too.

honeybee93
August 28th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I absolutely agree re: finger-detangling. I have to do that, too. I'm so glad we've learned that the other way doesn't work for us and spared our hair the damage.