PDA

View Full Version : About shedding... is this normal?

Cloud strife
August 19th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I only signed here to make a question regards to shedding.

So I am a 19 years old boy who've been growing my hair for the past three years (I trimmed sometimes but now I plan to let it grow even longer than now - nipple length). People describe my hair like "thick with lazy curls", and it's pretty thick to be honest. Fact is, due to its thickness I only comb after washing it, which happens every other day (for example, I've just washed, so next time I'm going to wash is on Wednesday morning). I notice some strands (3~4) in the shower, but when it gets a bit more dry and I go to comb it, I could count between 50~65 strands. Today, for example, I've counted 62 (I probably lost some).

Is this normal? No one in my family is bald, so I have this fear. I never paid attention to shedding and I always thought it was the same with everyone, until I read about hair loss... For what I remember, my shedding is still like that since September last year, when I started noticing it.

Thanks in advance for the answers (: have a good day

MamaLou
August 19th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Pretty sure that this is totally normal. I would start to get concerned when actual bald patches appear.

Ylva
August 19th, 2019, 08:07 AM
That sounds like a normal amount of shedding, but you could keep a lazy eye on your ponytail circumference. Just don't get too obsessed about it, some variation (for example seasonally) is totally normal.

lapushka
August 19th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Normal and even low amount, average 100 hairs a day (50-200) is pretty much normal. Nothing to worry about.

Seems like an odd question to make an account for. Why don't you read here a while and stay, and post? :flower:

Welcome, BTW!

Ylva
August 19th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Seems like an odd question to make an account for. Why don't you read here a while and stay, and post? :flower:

When I was 19, an "odd question" like this was definitely something I'd ponder on day in and day out. :)

-Fern
August 19th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Hey, Cloud! While that does seem like a normal amount of shedding, you might also check to make sure you are combing as gently and efficiently as possible to reduce the number of sheds.

1) Are you using a wide-toothed comb? This makes a huuuge difference for me.

2) For curly-ish hair, always use conditioner after shampooing, and you can even comb your hair in the shower while there is conditioner in your hair. This should help the comb run through with fewer snags and tangles. After your final rinse and dry off, you should be able to comb hair fairly quickly since it's freshly detangled.

3) Make sure you are combing by starting near the bottom and gradually moving higher up the hair with each stroke of the comb. This keeps tangles from getting compacted and also puts less stress on the hair. Hair tends to be most fragile when it is wet.

Personally, I have switched to using a Wet Brush detangler. My hair is very thick and this just seems to be the fastest, easiest way for me to detangle my hair after showering. As always, your mileage may vary.

Best of luck finding what works for you!

Cloud strife
August 19th, 2019, 10:21 AM
hum... thank you! I'll definitely stay here ;)

Cloud strife
August 19th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Hey, Cloud! While that does seem like a normal amount of shedding, you might also check to make sure you are combing as gently and efficiently as possible to reduce the number of sheds.

1) Are you using a wide-toothed comb? This makes a huuuge difference for me.

2) For curly-ish hair, always use conditioner after shampooing, and you can even comb your hair in the shower while there is conditioner in your hair. This should help the comb run through with fewer snags and tangles. After your final rinse and dry off, you should be able to comb hair fairly quickly since it's freshly detangled.

3) Make sure you are combing by starting near the bottom and gradually moving higher up the hair with each stroke of the comb. This keeps tangles from getting compacted and also puts less stress on the hair. Hair tends to be most fragile when it is wet.

Personally, I have switched to using a Wet Brush detangler. My hair is very thick and this just seems to be the fastest, easiest way for me to detangle my hair after showering. As always, your mileage may vary.

Best of luck finding what works for you!

Yes, I do use a wide-tooth comb. Sometimes I brush after combing because my hair ends up looking weird with the comb only .

I've been following these steps, always starting by the ends but the tangling makes the process a bit difficult. I'll try to be more gentle from now on. Thank you =)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 19th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Welcome here, Cloud! :D Happy growing to you.

Brethil
August 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Not only is it normal, it's normal for dudes who grow their hair out to be astonished at the amount of sheds! If your hair is 5 times longer, you are loosing 5 times the volume of hair each day, but the actual number hasn't changed. And two inch hairs are a lot less noticeable than 10 inch. Most women have grown up with longer hair and are already used to the sheds.

lapushka
August 19th, 2019, 02:01 PM
hum... thank you! I'll definitely stay here ;)

We will be honored to have you! :D
Awesome!!!

milosmomma
August 19th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Hi there! I agree with much of the comments and advice. I think your hair is getting longer and you are noticing just the sheer volume of hairs. I think it's completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Also if you want to bring out your waves the most, detangling and combing wet while slathered up in conditioners and then leaving it alone after your wash is done might be a good option. Conditioner will give your hair slip and help shed hairs and knots come out easily. Then while drying try not to touch it, your waves will clump and dry formed together.