PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching an hair streak - is this feasible?

SleepyTangles
August 18th, 2019, 03:59 PM
UPDATE: Thankīs everybody, without your encouragement I would have been too scared to try it :cheer:
It was a success, despite my clumsiness.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38190&d=1566331860

I sectioned a fine horizontal piece from my bangs, leaving quite some hair both on top and underneath; if I want just a minimum of blue-violet, I comb my bangs straight. If I want the color to be more noticeable, I part it slightly to the side. Itīs very vibrant, weīll see how well it holds to washing.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38192&d=1566332195

I also have a full-face photo, but Iīd prefer not post it here. Iīm not sure how it works the privacy setting on public, and Iīd prefer not to show my face to outside/non-LHC guests.
The best part? I managed to skip entirely my few, precious natural silvers. Ha!

Original post:
Iīm considering bleaching a face-framing streak in my virgin, medium brown hair. Do you think itīs a good idea or just a kick with possibly disastrous outcome?
I like my natural hair color, I just think it would be nice to have a bit of lightened hair to saturate with deposit dyes when I want a pop of color, or leave it "plain" when I want to lay low.
I remember that few years ago many girls from the Community liked to lighten or dye the already lighter ends in all sorts of fun colors, experimenting and stuff. It was considered an easy way to play a bit with color without ruining or compromising the growth of the whole head. It didnīt require too much commitment, as the tips are going to be trimmed off eventually (they were the last 1 or two inches or so...).

Of course, a streak canīt be cut off by a single trim, even if I have bangs (so hopefully it wonīt take as much as a person with one-length hair either)

Has somebody else done this before? Or went to have this done by a professional?
I donīt want a super-solid streak, more like baby-fine, blended sections like in balayage. Iīm quite scared to walk out from a salon with very solid, early 2000 zebra highlight, but I have literally no experience with hair dye outside henna and plants (and maybe few experiments with box dyes in my teens), so Iīm not eager to mess with a piece of hair that is straight in the middle of my face).
Not to mention, just a year ago I finally trimmed off all of my previously hennaed hair, which took literally forever. So I know how unnerving it is, when you have to look yourself in the mirror with an hair color that is not doing anything for you anymore.

All honest opinions and experiences are well accepted :flower:

Hasse
August 18th, 2019, 04:28 PM
A month ago I bleached a streak and dyed it blue (after thinking about it for a long time), couldn't be happier with it :). I'd say, go for it if you're really sure you want it!

Suortuva
August 18th, 2019, 04:34 PM
I'd say go for it too! It's not that a big commitment, and it's nice to have some fun. I dyed my ends and I couldn't be happier.

I have a natural blonde streak, that should be a part of my bangs, but I have decided to grow a part of it longer. Wheb I dyed my hair dark, I always missed it, I think it's such a fun effect.

Nox_Inber
August 18th, 2019, 05:23 PM
I would always take out my color impulses on my bangs and a face framing layer. It's a lot of fun! I knew I wasn't going to grow it out so I wasn't worried about lasting damage. I had both blended and solid. Solid is easier to experiment on yourself because you just slather color on one spot. Blended was harder for me because you have to pull the individuals strands which is very tedious, I always went to a professional for that. Overall, I never had color regrets on my bangs and face layers because my length was all intact :) If I didn't like it, I'd just try something else!

lithostoic
August 18th, 2019, 05:27 PM
I've done this! And right now I have my underneath layer bleached. I like the contrast.

SleepyTangles
August 18th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Thank you everybody for sharing: Iīm relieved Iīm not the only one who thought about this, and glad to ear so many positive outcomes :hifive:
I feel less anxious already

SleepyTangles
August 19th, 2019, 01:49 PM
For people who did this... do you have any advice on how to apply or section the hair, or photos? Thank you in advance,
Edit: Success!!!

Thanks for the encouragement everybody :heartbeat

Hasse
August 20th, 2019, 05:30 PM
For people who did this... do you have any advice on how to apply or section the hair, or photos? Thank you in advance,
Edit: Success!!!

Thanks for the encouragement everybody :heartbeat
Glad you like it! I will post some pictures tomorrow :)

Khristopher
August 20th, 2019, 07:09 PM
Your streak looks amazing SleepyTangles, great job! The violet goes really well with your natural color. And woah, you have very pretty eyes :D

Nox_Inber
August 20th, 2019, 09:26 PM
I ended up seeing the pictures through your album before the thread update, I'm glad to see that it went so well for a first attempt :D Did you get any brassiness? My hair pulls so much orange and red when I bleach.

Groovy Granny
August 20th, 2019, 10:00 PM
UPDATE: Thankīs everybody, without your encouragement I would have been too scared to try it :cheer:
It was a success, despite my clumsiness.
:
I love the color...it is very pretty....and yay for saving your silver :cheer:

Suortuva
August 20th, 2019, 11:49 PM
Wow, that looks great! And what a beautiful colour, so cool. :cool:

(Do we have a smiley with bangs?)

SleepyTangles
August 21st, 2019, 06:51 AM
Glad you like it! I will post some pictures tomorrow :)

Thank you Hasse! Iīm always curious about how other people do this, itīs my best way to learn.
For me, it was a serious case of first-timer luck: I didnīt really know what I was doing, but somehow I managed to create a section that works with my wave pattern and cowlicks.

Your streak looks amazing SleepyTangles, great job! The violet goes really well with your natural color. And woah, you have very pretty eyes :D

OMG, thank you! The camera wasnīt working, so when it finally snapped a pic i look like a deer in the flashlights ;).
Vibrant purple and blue are fairly safe colors with my skintone, the ones that I usually choose for eyeglasses and other kind of stuff. Iīm planning to add a bit of magenta to the ultra-violet, to experiment a bit with cooler and warmer shades of purple.

I ended up seeing the pictures through your album before the thread update, I'm glad to see that it went so well for a first attempt :D Did you get any brassiness? My hair pulls so much orange and red when I bleach.

I got TONS of brassiness, I actually managed to lighten it to a pale yellow. My plan A was to just tone it with a smidge of color and then decide if it needed any adjustment... but with that color underneath, toning was going to be greenish, so I just slathered the dye and crossed my fingers.
And it worked! The purplish blue was as vibrant as I wanted it.

I love the color...it is very pretty....and yay for saving your silver :cheer:
Protect the silver <3! I just wish a was like one of my friends, he is my age but he has as many silvers as a starry night. If I had so much silver, Iīd need no bleach. Violet fading into silver is very pretty.

Wow, that looks great! And what a beautiful colour, so cool. :cool:C

(Do we have a smiley with bangs?)
We need a smiley with bangs, I agree! Thanks dear

Hasse
August 21st, 2019, 07:28 AM
SleepyTangles, I tried to message you but your inbox is full.

When I dyed my streak, I completely ignored my wave pattern, lol. So when I wear my hair wavy now the colour is visible in a lot of waves. I kinda like it that way, it looks a bit messy and unruly which fits wonderfully with my personality.

SleepyTangles
August 21st, 2019, 07:47 AM
SleepyTangles, I tried to message you but your inbox is full.

When I dyed my streak, I completely ignored my wave pattern, lol. So when I wear my hair wavy now the colour is visible in a lot of waves. I kinda like it that way, it looks a bit messy and unruly which fits wonderfully with my personality.

Oh, thatīs weird! Iīve less than 30 messages. Anyway Iīve cleaned up and made some space! :D

Then itīs perfect: the only thing that has to match is your personality. I like to go incognito sometimes, so my chameleon streak is good for me

Hasse
August 21st, 2019, 12:14 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13979

How I did it: I chose a random chunk of hair that I could hid under the rest (tested that out first), bleached it from about halfway down and put color on it.

SleepyTangles
August 21st, 2019, 01:28 PM
Hasse, i love the color! I was thinking about adding some color to the sides, but right now my hair is a ball of fluff and drawing attention to the sides is a very bad idea.
I will think about it when I reach a "lob stage, hair grazing the shoulders. Or at least when Iīm able to do a ponytail without half of the hair falling out of it the next second ;)

Nox_Inber
August 21st, 2019, 05:40 PM
I got TONS of brassiness, I actually managed to lighten it to a pale yellow. My plan A was to just tone it with a smidge of color and then decide if it needed any adjustment... but with that color underneath, toning was going to be greenish, so I just slathered the dye and crossed my fingers.
And it worked! The purplish blue was as vibrant as I wanted it.

I'm glad you got the right color :D The first time I put blue dye over yellowy-orange I went straight green lol! Admittedly I wasn't opposed to the green so I kept it for a while. Pale yellow isn't a bad starting point at all :) Plus your color looks like a purpley-blue so you don't need to be full on platinum to get it thankfully!

Hasse
August 22nd, 2019, 04:28 AM
I also only bleached to a brassy colour, then put turquoise over it. It turned out green, but when that faded I put blue with a purple undertone over it and voila! Perfect blueish blue :). That's fading already too, this time to a lovely baby blue.

Elodea
August 28th, 2019, 10:54 PM
This thread is making me want to dye an unnaturally colored streak (or a few) again in my hair. I did it myself at home a few years back and it turned out surprisingly well and not a disaster.

I dyed three smallish-sized magenta/pink streaks in the underlayer of my hair starting about halfway up. If I were to do it again, I'd probably try to do at least two sessions of bleaching (instead of one) and maybe use toner to get my naturally black hair lighter as a starting point and so the resulting color would be more vibrant, or I could dye a pastel color. Streaks are a good way of adding some color without committing to doing your entire head.