PDA

View Full Version : That moment came.

August 17th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Well. You remember when I complained about my bangs (I'm growing out a buzzcut and my hair grown this way, I didn't get bangs intentionally, I hate bangs)? They're so f* long now that I have them directly on/in my eyes and when I open my eyes (during blinking, etc) I have them stuck behind my eyelids. I've been trying to put them up with little claw clip/s but it really hurts my scalp, I can't use this method on regular basis.

So one day I took two tiny cloth hair ties from kids section (I bought them for afro braids so I wouldn't have to kill my hair with elastics) and did two small pigtails with just my bangs. With colorful hair ties. I finally could see something, but I looked like an idiot. Yeah.

Just found 18 ways to get bangs out of your face on google. There must be something that'll work among these, right? *desperation*
https://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/get-your-bangs-out-of-your-face
I think the problem is they show all these bangs hairstyles but they don't focus on how to secure them, and do that in non-damaging, non-painful way.

If I won't get through that problem somehow I might buzz again... I already decided I won't wear loose hair (I have enough of that in my life, don't want to go there again, heh) and will probably braid or twist my hair and I see I can do small braids on other sections, but I just can't figure out how to get rid of my bangs (other than buzzing everything off or wearing all hair under a scarf, trying to put bangs alone in the scarf doesn't work, believe me... Everything just explodes or sticks out in a weird way, my hair are really thick and have this weird slavic texture going - slick AND puffy AND locing by itself). They slick out or puff out from tools I try to use to secure them. I tried flat twisting to the side on dirty hair and it worked for 15 mins or so but then it unraveled. Maybe it's too short to flat twist like that, I don't know.

Why people actually get bangs on purpose? This is crazy. *shrugs*

blackgothicdoll
August 17th, 2019, 07:04 AM
I'm going to guess you've tried bobby pins. I used those to hold my flat twist, or a duck clip. I'd also push them straight back or off to the side with a BBB while damp and then hold it with a bobby or duck clip.

August 17th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Bobby pins and mini claw clips hurt my scalp. I'm trying to be as gentle as possible but they still hurt like hell.

Entangled
August 17th, 2019, 07:27 AM
How are you with headbands? That might be the best option. Plastic, metal, cloth (especially cloth ones with texture or a bit of rubbery stuff underneath so the hair doesn’t stick put) are all kinds you could try.

August 17th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Hair just sticks out from hairbands and looks really dumb... Like, it sticks upwards. I can only look presentable with whole head covered, ie turban :/. Which is ok with me, I like head coverings but again, can't be used on daily basis (I need to air my scalp out) and for bathing.

Sorry if I sound whiny... I know you guys are trying.

I think the problem is, well... Bangs. I don't look very well with these. And they're crazy thick. Just can't stuck them under anything unless I cover my whole head.

Ok, I did a mini ponytail on top of my head and struggled with putting strays up with hair pins (is that how these small u-shaped pins are called?). So far it stayed up even if I have dumb ponytail (oh yeah) and doesn't hurt *at all*. So maybe I have something for bathing and around the house. Will need to figure something out for when I'm at work and patients see me, heh.

Joules
August 17th, 2019, 07:56 AM
I said it countless times already and I'll say it again:

FRENCH BRAIDS!!!!!

I've grown out bangs a number of times. I had them for 6-ish years (plus a year and a half of growing them out for the final time) and pretty much every summer I would grow them out a bit, because here where I live it gets too hot for bangs. You can French braid just along the hairline, you can French braid your crown straight back, you can do twin French braids and incorporate your bangs into them, you can French braid any way you want and 100% of the time your bangs will be out of your face.

If your bangs get into your eyes your hair is long enough to be at least partially French braided. I could French braid even very short bangs that covered only half of my forehead (I trimmed my bangs myself and more than once I trimmed them too short, French braiding was the way for me to hide my mistakes :lol:) (I do have a giant forehead, but still).

August 17th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Yaay. So, can I? How do I? Braiding and twisting is my preferred method if I can, but I don't know if my hair is long enough. It's not a bob yet so I dunno if I can or not. I tried twisting to the side but bits and pieces stuck out and everything unraveled :(. I don't know how to call it since I just stopped buzzing and didn't do any corrective cuts since, but it's a bit like long pixie, slightly different shape. Bangs are kinda in a straight line (as much as they can get without cutting) and literally in the middle of my eyes. I tried french braiding back but everything unraveled... But my hair were slightly shorter then.

Any idea, how can I improve my braiding skills or if my hair is long enough?

cjk
August 17th, 2019, 09:02 AM
You can braid hair of almost any length. Shorter hair just needs smaller/more braids, the extreme version of that being something akin to cornrows.

My sides are short compared to the rest, so I regularly do two Dutch braids. Pictures in the "Show me your hair" and "Braids" threads.

As for improving your skills, it's just a matter of practice. It's actually pretty easy once your fingers learn what to do. Since you are focused on your bangs, specifically, I'm going to suggest something asymmetrical. French or Dutch braid the bangs, horizontally, across your hairline. It's a cute style that's right on trend now, and which would be a great way to handle them.

Hang on I'll see if I can find a picture of what I mean.

https://i.imgur.com/FLOO6QF.png

lapushka
August 17th, 2019, 09:04 AM
I'm still wondering how and why claw clips hurt. Are you normally tender headed? How are you securing them (hair pulled too tightly)? Maybe you're using ones that are too big? Maybe the tiny ones will help.

Joules
August 17th, 2019, 09:12 AM
01, do smaller braids. Your hair is obviously too short for a single braid, I'm not sure about twin braids though (could you maybe post a picture of your hair here?). Try smaller braids, you'd need some sort of hair clips to secure them, but still. Find out at which point your braids unravel and secure them just before they do. Experiment! There's nothing better than experimenting!

Here, I tried looking for a video tutorial of my favorite methods to hide short bangs and came across this video of a girl French braiding her growing pixie. Maybe it will help! I did a similar technique on myself, it's just that when my bangs were shorter the braid was smaller, more narrow and tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxV8gEQBpbU

Maybe this method would suit you too, it's for when the hair is a tad longer (I loved it when my bangs were "nose length" and longer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFlWXEV7qp0

enting
August 17th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I do the above braiding types using even a narrower strip of hair than they used to hold my fuzzy broken hairline hairs that are pretty short. If hair is too slippery, use a tiny bit of gel when braiding. You can do a little lace rope braid this way too.

dagny
August 17th, 2019, 08:35 PM
When I had bangs that I was trying to grow out (or that were too short...), I would wear those metal headbands with teeth. When the bangs got long enough that they would stick straight up, I would push the headband back further, put a little curl in them, or even put the headband in when my hair was wet to keep the pieces down.

Braids, as others had mentioned, also work. You don't need to make a huge braid -- just a little one with the bangs.

I also used to take the front part of my bangs (a thin section about 2 -3 inches wide) and then hold them back with 2 bobby pins -- criss crossing them over each other to keep the bangs back. Since I was only holding back a small amount of hair, it held just fine. Then the remaining parts of the bangs would just be combed down with the rest of my hair length and blend in.

Parting the bangs on the side also worked well as they continued to grow.

Keep in mind that since hair grows on average 1/2" a month, you are only going to have an issue for a month or two until they grow long enough to find different styles to keep them back.

Oh, wide headbands (the fabric kind) are also great because they look stylish and are very comfortable.

Best of luck to you!

Simsy
August 17th, 2019, 10:32 PM
When I have new growth causing issues and getting into trouble at the front or sides of my head; I use a small braid running just along the hairline to catch them and give enough length to either settle smoothly behind my ear, or tuck into braids or a bun further back. Also keeps those fragile new ends well out of harms way.

The braid can be a bit annoying to undo one stitch at a time; but it really does make up for it.

Joules
August 18th, 2019, 01:07 AM
I do the above braiding types using even a narrower strip of hair than they used to hold my fuzzy broken hairline hairs that are pretty short. If hair is too slippery, use a tiny bit of gel when braiding. You can do a little lace rope braid this way too.

Lace rope braids are hard to do on bangs. Chunks of hair end up sticking out in the silliest way possible. I love lace rope braiding, but I needed to use a dozen bobby pins to make the rope braid look decent back when I had bangs. Same with Dutch braids, they work better on longer hair, unfortunately.

enting
August 18th, 2019, 05:44 AM
I find the rope easier to do than braiding, but I also have a mix of lengths that I'm working with, not bangs that are all one length. It might indeed be the difference.

August 23rd, 2019, 03:56 AM
Hello friends ;),
I come in to report that french (instead of lace) braiding was a success and I worn my bangs up for days. I also braided rest of the hair, but I have problems with that. After I unbraided my hair they became very tame and easier to manage, from being braided for all that time. If anyone has any suggestions how I can braid ALL the hair now? Always some hair seems to slip out, is this my (poor) technique or I take wrong sections or what? I soo hate having my hair loose, it's driving me nuts. Thanks for bangs advice, it really helped.

Simsy
August 23rd, 2019, 04:16 AM
Hello friends ;),
I come in to report that french (instead of lace) braiding was a success and I worn my bangs up for days. I also braided rest of the hair, but I have problems with that. After I unbraided my hair they became very tame and easier to manage, from being braided for all that time. If anyone has any suggestions how I can braid ALL the hair now? Always some hair seems to slip out, is this my (poor) technique or I take wrong sections or what? I soo hate having my hair loose, it's driving me nuts. Thanks for bangs advice, it really helped.

Small braids are key at your current length. My sister in law had fairly short; unbelievably fine hair and it didn’t like staying in styles. What I did for her was 2 small hairline braids from a centre part around to behind each ear. Then I ran 2 larger braids down either side of the scalp, leaving a Mohawk section loose for now. These 2 larger take in the tails of the hairline braids. Finally, do a Mohawk braid down the centre, weaving in any loose ends and problematic sections; and finally tuck the ends of the 2 side braids into the Mohawk before you complete and tie off. This also works when you treat the top half and bottom half as seperate sections; doing the 5 top braids in a half-up style, and adding 2 small braids for the bottom half just to keep everything secure. If you do the bottom section braiding up; you get everything coming together as a pony style that can then be secured into a bun.

As for keeping everything obedient for a few days; because screw doing that many braids for a single day; try a small amount of gel or light wax on your fingertips as you braid each section. Once everything is tucked and secure, you could also add a lightweight hairspray on top and/or wrap with a scarf or bandana to help the flyaways stay down. If strands become a bit too wild before you can be bothered dealing with it, use a toothbrush and gel/hairspray to smooth everything back down. If you end up with loops coming up, use a pin to tuck the hair back into the braid. You may find bobby pins less annoying if they are secured into the braid and not against your scalp.

September 22nd, 2019, 05:41 AM
I can't use products. I'm too sick. I get very sick from them. Dunno if DIY products would be better or not, they're not always good for me either.

This sounds so pretty and elaborate xD. Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I don't understand how to do it. Maybe some photos of similar styles? Or a vid? Anything visual?

Well, I didn't cut it. It's very cold now and I don't want to for that reason, but I can't stand it anymore... French/dutch braiding bangs worked to a point, but they grown again and some days they just free themselves from the braid, whatever I do. I yanked everything into a ponytail today out of desperation (like, most hair on my head) but it unraveled too. I tried second time, with very tight pony and it freed itself again. So I ended up doing second ponytail from hair in the front that freed itself. Uh, that one time won't kill me, but if I'll continue I'll kill my edges for sure. I did in the past on long hair, when I worn (low) ponytails all the time.

Oh my god, maybe if I'll buy a beanie, like for a buzzcut but don't buzz and wear all my hair under a beanie all the time??? That'd be warm, yeah? And I wouldn't have to spend all this time wondering about how to put this **** up? I just can't... When I try to braid the rest of the hair, it's good during the day, but at night it's hard to sleep because all these braids feel like I'm having flexi rods in my hair or something. I can't wear hair out because it hurts too (my eyes, neck, etc... They're very heavy and poke into places -_-).

enting
September 22nd, 2019, 06:33 AM
A beanie sounds like a really good idea.

If you're into it you can even do fun other kinds of hats, just slide them on from the front so that it catches your bangs. Scarves are another option, but they have just a little bit more of a learning curve than hats and beanies do. If you want to try another aesthetic, you could try a snood. There's a world of protective headwear out there so that you don't have to wrangle with how to put your hair up.

Simsy
September 22nd, 2019, 07:09 PM
So I can’t draw to save my own life, and I never thought to take photos of this style on SIL, but we work with what we have. A sketch pad and several attempts later, this is a very basic outline.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38612&d=1569199681
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38613&d=1569199694

It’s just 5 small braids, staring with a pair at your hairline; taking in the bangs and stray short bits. Then a pair a bit further back, taking in the ends of the first two braids. Then finally, a single Mohawk braid similar to the 2nd style in the video; just started a bit further back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SSi3NRjitTI&t=295s

The main idea is to hold as much of the hair as possible with minimal product or pins. Short hair should stay fairly well in small braids; all this style does is tuck the ends of each braid into the braid next to it to keep everything safe and away. You can always leave the ends out and do cornrows if that sounds easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x68V6SKteAE

(I apparently can’t spell either this morning)

Simsy
September 25th, 2019, 06:57 PM
A hairline braid for reference. I did this one across the back of my hairline to contain the 2 small clumps of curls that get caught in my necklaces
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38662&d=1569459287%5B/IMG%5D

enting
September 26th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Simsy, I never thought about doing a hairline braid across the nape, but that's brilliant! I know what you mean about hair getting caught in necklaces.

BerrySara
September 26th, 2019, 02:35 PM
A hairline braid for reference. I did this one across the back of my hairline to contain the 2 small clumps of curls that get caught in my necklaces
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38662&d=1569459287%5B/IMG%5D

I seriously stopped wearing necklaces period because my curly nape hair would get caught and knot and cause all kinds of trouble. This is a great solution for those occasional times where I do still want to wear a necklace AND wear my hair down! Awesome, I will be sure to remember this.

Brethil
September 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM
My mom used to do a little ponytail right on top of my head when I was very small. Called it a Pomeranian, after the dog breed. It's a real cute look... on a three year old. I can see why a grown adult would not be quite as fond of it.

What she also used to do, when my hair was a little longer, was pull the front part into a half-up ponytail, then make another ponytail below that includes the tail of the first pony. I think she did three tiers of ponytails for soccer practice. If you did one set on each side, where you would do twin French braids, you could do on even shorter hair.

Aroha
September 27th, 2019, 05:48 AM
I did that little style on my dd, we always called it a "fountain".

Later, in her late teens, she cut it very short. As it was growing out again and driving her crazy, she began putting them up into two little fountains, they looked a little like horns. Kinda silly, but it worked for her until they grew out.

September 27th, 2019, 12:25 PM
So I can’t draw to save my own life, and I never thought to take photos of this style on SIL, but we work with what we have. A sketch pad and several attempts later, this is a very basic outline.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38612&d=1569199681
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38613&d=1569199694

It’s just 5 small braids, staring with a pair at your hairline; taking in the bangs and stray short bits. Then a pair a bit further back, taking in the ends of the first two braids. Then finally, a single Mohawk braid similar to the 2nd style in the video; just started a bit further back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SSi3NRjitTI&t=295s

The main idea is to hold as much of the hair as possible with minimal product or pins. Short hair should stay fairly well in small braids; all this style does is tuck the ends of each braid into the braid next to it to keep everything safe and away. You can always leave the ends out and do cornrows if that sounds easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x68V6SKteAE

(I apparently can’t spell either this morning)

Aww, that's so cute, you actually tried to draw it. Thank you, that's so nice. And neckline braid is genius.

Yup, I saw the ponytail thing on a neighbour's kid. Lol. It doesn't look THAT bad on me. I look very young... I'm thinking it's kinda cute with my youthful face, if a bit silly. Def wouldn't want to wear it in business situations or something, lol. My problem was I did two ponytails in very unflattering places, because my hair were shorter... Now I can do than one pony on top/middle. It tends to slide out, like any other hairstyle.

So guys, I switched to cinnabunning my bangs and securing it with hair pin (used it like mini hair fork). It worked for a few days and I was happy, until today. No matter what I did, my bun would unravel. Oh my gosh... It's like with that braid... On some days it'd just puff out, expand AND become very slippery and slide out. Whatever I do, I never have a reliable way to put my hair up. It's like a roulette. Not sure what to do. I just want to put my hair up and live my life. I'm looking for something sporty, or something that'll let me geek out and not think about my hair. I just want to do less to my hair, not more. I'm so tired of most of the internet having advice on how to look like a model, but no practical advice for people who just want to get on with their life and forget about their hair. Maybe I don't want my hair to be the sole purpose of my life...

Simsy
September 27th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Aww, that's so cute, you actually tried to draw it. Thank you, that's so nice. And neckline braid is genius.

Yup, I saw the ponytail thing on a neighbour's kid. Lol. It doesn't look THAT bad on me. I look very young... I'm thinking it's kinda cute with my youthful face, if a bit silly. Def wouldn't want to wear it in business situations or something, lol. My problem was I did two ponytails in very unflattering places, because my hair were shorter... Now I can do than one pony on top/middle. It tends to slide out, like any other hairstyle.

So guys, I switched to cinnabunning my bangs and securing it with hair pin (used it like mini hair fork). It worked for a few days and I was happy, until today. No matter what I did, my bun would unravel. Oh my gosh... It's like with that braid... On some days it'd just puff out, expand AND become very slippery and slide out. Whatever I do, I never have a reliable way to put my hair up. It's like a roulette. Not sure what to do. I just want to put my hair up and live my life. I'm looking for something sporty, or something that'll let me geek out and not think about my hair. I just want to do less to my hair, not more. I'm so tired of most of the internet having advice on how to look like a model, but no practical advice for people who just want to get on with their life and forget about their hair. Maybe I don't want my hair to be the sole purpose of my life...

Cornrow and a bandana; my FIL didn’t know what colour my hair was for the 10 years he knew me because it was always covered. Bandanas work well for wispies, and they don’t look religious so most people won’t question them. You can leave cornrows in for a few days/weeks if you really don’t want to deal with them.

enting
September 28th, 2019, 12:34 PM
A buff also works for a casual "cover it and forget it" easy hair covering.