PDA

View Full Version : I came across this article....

Sparkles122
August 16th, 2019, 07:54 PM
As I was doing my nightly web searching, I came across this article and I am absolutely horrifed...can someone please tell me that this isnt true. I am a very very very frequent user of sulfates and quite honestly I dont want to stop. https://www.hairlossinwomen.org/hair-loss-causes/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-cause-hair-loss/

GrowlingCupcake
August 16th, 2019, 08:03 PM
I have not found any scientific evidence for this.

milosmomma
August 16th, 2019, 08:05 PM
It seems like it is in high concentration and if you leave it on for a long period that it would cause problems. If you didnt rinse thoroughly and left it on you scalp to dry I could see how problematic that would be. But normal washing I wouldnt worry. I use sulfates but I also water down my shampoo alot, hopefully diluting it to a safe range. I dont plan on switching shampoos based on that article alone but I will be keeping up on this thread in case any scary information should arise.

Groovy Granny
August 16th, 2019, 08:48 PM
At almost 68 years of using sulfates (and back in the 60's we used BRECK for a 'squeaky clean head of hair and no conditioning) I am not worried for you, and don't intend to give it up :p

Sparkles122
August 16th, 2019, 09:03 PM
At almost 68 years of using sulfates (and back in the 60's we used BRECK for a 'squeaky clean head of hair and no conditioning) I am not worried for you, and don't intend to give it up :p

Lol thank you for putting it into that perspective.

Sparkles122
August 16th, 2019, 09:03 PM
It seems like it is in high concentration and if you leave it on for a long period that it would cause problems. If you didnt rinse thoroughly and left it on you scalp to dry I could see how problematic that would be. But normal washing I wouldnt worry. I use sulfates but I also water down my shampoo alot, hopefully diluting it to a safe range. I dont plan on switching shampoos based on that article alone but I will be keeping up on this thread in case any scary information should arise.

Ive used sulfate free before, or tried to anyway, and my hair starts doing some really strange things

dyna
August 16th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Don't wash your hair with de-greaser or floor cleaner. Always wash the shampoo out. If it's something sold for hair use, don't worry, just follow the directions.

Joules
August 17th, 2019, 12:25 AM
I was sulfate-free for 8 years, ended up with fungal overgrowth due to poor cleansing (sulfate-free shampoos aren't enough for most people) and started losing hair because of it. Went back to sulfates and couldn't be happier.

Also, I didn't notice any effect in terms of hair growth rate. Sulfate-free didn't make my hair grow any faster and sulfates didn't make my hair grow any slower.

This article seems like a load of bs and fear-mongering.

LittleHealthy
August 17th, 2019, 05:03 AM
I love sulphates in my shampoo, too.
There is evidence, like someone above has already mentioned, that extremely concentrated doses might do something. But not in the amounts present in our shampoos or with the way we use them. There’s plenty of companies out there who would LOVE an article like this to be well circulated!

Natalia_A00
August 17th, 2019, 05:57 AM
I love sulfates too and they seem to work just fine for me... Maybe some people are prone to have problems with sulfates because it's not good for their skin, but that doesn't apply for everybody. If you don't see any problem it's probably because you don't have any. Just stop using them if you notice that they don't do the job anymore or cause you trouble. I've never had any of the problems listed in the article (excessive dandruff, dry hair or abnormal/slow growth). I've tried sulfate free shampoos and they don't impress me, I don't see a major difference. My favorite shampoos have sufates.

Natalia_A00
August 17th, 2019, 06:02 AM
What I mean is, sulfates CAN cause all the things listed in the article, it's a possibility. Some people are sensitive to them. However others don't react that way to sulfates and I don't think there's much to worry about.

TatsuOni
August 17th, 2019, 06:55 AM
I only read the head line and it was enough for me. So while I'm sulfate free, I still say that it's BS! If it where true, there would be A LOT of bald/thin haired people out there since so many people use it!

MaGee5
August 17th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I never had a problem with sulfates either!

MusicalSpoons
August 17th, 2019, 08:14 AM
What I mean is, sulfates CAN cause all the things listed in the article, it's a possibility. Some people are sensitive to them. However others don't react that way to sulfates and I don't think there's much to worry about.

Exactly!

I um, may have left A Comment on the article, though whether it will be approved or not is another matter :lol: I was incensed when I first read it, not necessarily that it's twisted seeds of truth, but they went and listed synonyms for SLS - a quarter of which ARE NOT EVEN THE SAME CHEMICAL!! :steam (and if anyone's using any of those chemistry-thesaurus names instead of the standard INCI, one may wish to run very far in the opposite direction from such a product). It was the list that really got me on principle anyway, making it so that people don't feel they can trust any ingredients list when reputable manufacturers cannot pull that kind of stunt.

(I'd calmed down long before leaving a comment, but they may well still not like it :shrug:)

Edit: this is a good summary of the general claims made about SLS, where they came from and what the evidence *actually* says https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4651417/

Sparkles122
August 17th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Exactly!

I um, may have left A Comment on the article, though whether it will be approved or not is another matter :lol: I was incensed when I first read it, not necessarily that it's twisted seeds of truth, but they went and listed synonyms for SLS - a quarter of which ARE NOT EVEN THE SAME CHEMICAL!! :steam (and if anyone's using any of those chemistry-thesaurus names instead of the standard INCI, one may wish to run very far in the opposite direction from such a product). It was the list that really got me on principle anyway, making it so that people don't feel they can trust any ingredients list when reputable manufacturers cannot pull that kind of stunt.

(I'd calmed down long before leaving a comment, but they may well still not like it :shrug:)

Edit: this is a good summary of the general claims made about SLS, where they came from and what the evidence *actually* says https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4651417/

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I saw the .org at the end of that website and really thought it was legit. Not going to lie I did start freaking out a little bit.

MusicalSpoons
August 17th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I saw the .org at the end of that website and really thought it was legit. Not going to lie I did start freaking out a little bit.

I understand - and it's the same with the EWG, who look and sound authoritative but are not exactly known for having robust evidence to back up their claims!

lapushka
August 17th, 2019, 09:16 AM
I am a heavy sulfate user, because if I don't, I can break out the medical shampoo (Nizoral 2%) rather quickly. I have to have a proper cleanse. I also wouldn't put trust in that article. You regularly find stuff like that online. Yeah, right. Where's the proof?

You have to gauge it on your own head. If you are happy with sulfates and your scalp reacts favorably to it, then keep using it. If you have tried sulfate-free and it ends in hair loss and disaster (did for me) then it's obvious that is not the way to go.

It is quite individual for folks. Some do this, others do that.

I often say, it's about what your hair wants not about what you want for your hair. And it still rings true to this day!

Sparkles122
August 17th, 2019, 11:26 AM
I am a heavy sulfate user, because if I don't, I can break out the medical shampoo (Nizoral 2%) rather quickly. I have to have a proper cleanse. I also wouldn't put trust in that article. You regularly find stuff like that online. Yeah, right. Where's the proof?

You have to gauge it on your own head. If you are happy with sulfates and your scalp reacts favorably to it, then keep using it. If you have tried sulfate-free and it ends in hair loss and disaster (did for me) then it's obvious that is not the way to go.

It is quite individual for folks. Some do this, others do that.

I often say, it's about what your hair wants not about what you want for your hair. And it still rings true to this day!

I love sulfates, i love them, i love them, i love them. My favorite shampoo in the world is Biolage hydrasource, i could never part with it. And my second all time favorite brand is Pantene. That is my top favorite drugstore brand. Ive used sulfates (with a not so successful trial of sulfate free here and there) for as long as I can remember.

MamaLou
August 17th, 2019, 12:39 PM
A lot of people on this forum have experienced that sulfates are better for their scalp health, so I would not be concerned about sulfates causing hair loss. I mainly use sulfate free shampoos because the length of my hair is more moisturized when I'm sulfate free, for my scalp it doesn't seem to matter if I use sulfate or sulfate free shampoos.

lapushka
August 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM
I love sulfates, i love them, i love them, i love them. My favorite shampoo in the world is Biolage hydrasource, i could never part with it. And my second all time favorite brand is Pantene. That is my top favorite drugstore brand. Ive used sulfates (with a not so successful trial of sulfate free here and there) for as long as I can remember.

Same here, also sulfates all my life, and I just turned 47 today. ;) :cheer:

I love Pantene as well. It gives a nice scrub. Pantene Aqua Light is my all-time favorite (got discontinued here). Due to the sulfates and the foam there is low manipulation of the individual hairs themselves. I have found with sulfate-free, due to the fact that it often doesn't foam as much, that you strain the hair much more. Is that just me? :hmm:

Biolage is a brand that you can't get where I live. Comparable to that here is Bonacure from Schwarzkopf, which is along the same line (higher end).

MusicalSpoons
August 17th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I love Pantene as well. It gives a nice scrub. Pantene Aqua Light is my all-time favorite (got discontinued here). Due to the sulfates and the foam there is low manipulation of the individual hairs themselves. I have found with sulfate-free, due to the fact that it often doesn't foam as much, that you strain the hair much more. Is that just me? :hmm:

Biolage is a brand that you can't get where I live. Comparable to that here is Bonacure from Schwarzkopf, which is along the same line (higher end).

It's not just you, I've heard many others say the same, but honestly the majority of sulphate-free shampoos I've tried have foamed/lathered perfectly fine :shrug: the trick is to add more water, *then* only add more product if necessary - but the same was always true for sulphate shampoos. Though actually I've only used one sulphate-free that felt very different from ordinary sulphate shampoos, texture-wise. I didn't get on with that one anyway because it actually was too mild <gasp> (with my scalp, that's quite the shocker! :lol:)

CherryFrizz
August 17th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Happy Birthday Lapushka!

And, for the record, I have had no troubles with sulfate shampoos (or soaps, for that matter). I've known people that do, but it's not very common.

lapushka
August 17th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Happy Birthday Lapushka!

And, for the record, I have had no troubles with sulfate shampoos (or soaps, for that matter). I've known people that do, but it's not very common.

Heeey! Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

The Lizard Wife
August 17th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Definitely scare tactics! My skin absolutely reacts to sulfates as if it were the next best thing to industrial degreaser (which was why my scalp got much happier after I went sulfate-free and now I am forever on the search for the mythical creature known as "a soap that is gentle enough for me"), but even then, using sulfate shampoos for 20+ years never thinned out my hair in the slightest. My scalp snowed constantly, sure, but my hair stayed attached and thick and had a completely average growth rate.

milosmomma
August 17th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Happy Birthday Lapushka!
FWIW I would go sulphate free, that was my original intent when I also went silicone free, but couldn't find one that cleaned my scalp well enough. I would always feel oily straight after a wash, like they werent removing enough sebum and greasies so I just went back to silicones but started diluting. If anyone has recommendations for sulphate free shampoos that are a stronger cleansing agent I would be eager to give it a whirl :)

The-Young-Maid
August 18th, 2019, 08:38 AM
*That article is just fear mongering* People can find anything on the internet to support a theory if they ignore the rest...

Anytime I try to use sulfate-free shampoos I start shedding. The harsh "natural" cleansers they use can be so irritating on my scalp but don't actually get my scalp very clean. And don't get me started on all the oils and plant extracts they add. They make my hair so weighed down and irritate my scalp.

I've found shampoo bars to be much gentler while also actually deep cleaning my scalp. I just wish my length would cooperate.

But I prefer a good old sulfate shampoo (silicone free) for proper cleansing and convenience.

lapushka
August 18th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Happy Birthday Lapushka!
FWIW I would go sulphate free, that was my original intent when I also went silicone free, but couldn't find one that cleaned my scalp well enough. I would always feel oily straight after a wash, like they werent removing enough sebum and greasies so I just went back to silicones but started diluting. If anyone has recommendations for sulphate free shampoos that are a stronger cleansing agent I would be eager to give it a whirl :)

Thank you so much (I had a lovely day). :)

Kalamazoo
August 19th, 2019, 03:08 AM
Lapushka! Sorry I missed your birthday, but wait! Check out "A Very Merry Unbirthday to You! (yes, you) AlCheetoh" on YouTube. (It's from Alice in Wonderland, based on the book by Lewis Carroll.)

MamaLou
August 19th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!! :) (sorry little late)

lapushka
August 19th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Happy Birthday!!!!! :) (sorry little late)

Lapushka! Sorry I missed your birthday, but wait! Check out "A Very Merry Unbirthday to You! (yes, you) AlCheetoh" on YouTube. (It's from Alice in Wonderland, based on the book by Lewis Carroll.)

Aw thank you guys, you are so nice! :D I just got b-day wishes from my oldest uncle. I think he thinks it was today. LOL!

hennalove
August 19th, 2019, 03:13 PM
As I was doing my nightly web searching, I came across this article and I am absolutely horrifed...can someone please tell me that this isnt true. I am a very very very frequent user of sulfates and quite honestly I dont want to stop. https://www.hairlossinwomen.org/hair-loss-causes/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-cause-hair-loss/

I haven't used sulfates in close to 8 years likely longer. If the Environmental Worker's Group (EWG) has a say in anything, I pay attention. They know what they are talking about. I use a lauryl and laureth sulfate-free certified organic shampoo 1 to 2 a month and herbals in between.

lapushka
August 19th, 2019, 04:27 PM
I haven't used sulfates in close to 8 years likely longer. If the Environmental Worker's Group (EWG) has a say in anything, I pay attention. They know what they are talking about. I use a lauryl and laureth sulfate-free certified organic shampoo 1 to 2 a month and herbals in between.

I think they're a little "iffy" at best. There must be better resources out there. If you have to listen to the EWG, you can hardly use *anything* anymore.

CherryFrizz
August 19th, 2019, 04:54 PM
EWG rates sodium laureth sulfate a "3" on a scale where plain water is 1 and ingredients of highest concern are level 10.

Even some of the "EWG Verified" shampoos contain level 3 ingredients.

MusicalSpoons
August 19th, 2019, 05:02 PM
I think they're a little "iffy" at best. There must be better resources out there. If you have to listen to the EWG, you can hardly use *anything* anymore.

^ Agreed. They're, um, not the most unbiased/impartial interpreters of actual science.

https://www.humblebeeandme.com/faqs/is-the-ewgs-skin-deep-database-a-good-place-to-learn-about-ingredient-safety/
https://chemistscorner.com/why-the-ewg-skin-deep-database-is-still-a-dubious-source/ [←This article was recommended by The Beauty Brains]