PDA

View Full Version : So... how the heck do you guys manage to photograph the back of your head so clearly?

jane_marie
August 16th, 2019, 01:48 PM
I'm having some major issues here. haha

Groovy Granny
August 16th, 2019, 01:58 PM
I use my reflection in the bathroom mirror :shrug:

I have an old basic camera with no perks, a basic trac phone for emergencies and no perks, hand tremors, bad lighting....and no help from DH = you get what I can manage :lol:

I truly envy those with awesome pics....so clear and focused :heart:

jane_marie
August 16th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I use my reflection in the bathroom mirror :shrug:

I have an old basic camera with no perks, a basic trac phone for emergencies and no perks, hand tremors, bad lighting....and no help from DH = you get what I can manage :lol:

I truly envy those with awesome pics....so clear and focused :heart:

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one that struggles. I've taken about 50 and can't find any that are clear enough for my liking. Maybe I'll just use some of the ones I have. haha

neko_kawaii
August 16th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Check out the advice here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138971

jane_marie
August 16th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Check out the advice here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138971

Thank you!

Nightshade
August 16th, 2019, 02:53 PM
This thread made me laugh because I feel like learning how to photograph the back of your head is such a LHC milestone :lol:

Spikey
August 16th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Nightshade is right, once you can take a good picture of the back of your head, you have mastered LHC! I'm still working on it, but here are some tips:

First off, all this is alot easier with a smartphone. I'm lucky enough to have one with a good camera that focuses automatically, as long as the lighting is good.
-Take it in direct sunlight. Late afternoon/early evening on a bright day is a great time, face away from the sun so that it's hitting the back of your head.
-Since you can't see what you're getting, take as many different angles and perspectives as you can. Take a few in one position, the move the camera back a few inches, give it time to refocus, take a few more, then move it right a few inches, etc until you arms get tired and then you can check what you're getting.
-Remember that the tilt of the camera matters too. Make sure it's perfectly vertical and not facing down toward your neck

Show us when you get it!

-Fern
August 16th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Arm to the right, face to the left.

blackgothicdoll
August 16th, 2019, 03:46 PM
I stick my phone on the windowsill and sit in front of it with the self-timer (un-mute phone so I can hear when it clicks). I can't do it any other way because my arm shakes which makes the camera blur.

Panthera
August 16th, 2019, 03:51 PM
If you put a mirror behind your phone, you actually can see what you're doing. :D Place the phone on a table, a mirror behind it, stand in front of the phone and use another mirror to look into the mirror behind the phone. I don't know if it made any sense. :lol: It would be easier to use the phone's front camera but often the quality isn't very good. But with the front camera you can hold the phone in one hand and a hand mirror in the other to look to the screen so you can see where the camera is facing.

MusicalSpoons
August 16th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Hehe, with practice - you're right Nightshade, it is a very LHC thing! :lol:

I resort to using the flash most often because my phone camera is Very Not Great (low-mid budget range phone from 4yrs ago) but the flash seems to mitigate most of the blurriness. Not useful when I want to accurately show my hair colour, but it is what it is :shrug: and it does the job for most hair pictures :)

Edit: for a picture of my hemline, I use a mirror and know roughly the right angle (from practice); for full length shots I ask one of my family to help out.

littlestarface
August 16th, 2019, 04:42 PM
I use canon camera with self timer placed on a desk, I turn around n 10 seconds later and it takes my picture for me.

trolleypup
August 16th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Timers, remotes-some cameras have remotes, and some cameras have wifi abilities so your smartphone can be used as the remote. If you camera or phone takes very good video you may be able to framegrab and image from video of the back of your head. Minions...minions are good, too!

gin
August 16th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I've always wondered the same! What I do is take a video, and then screenshot the best still. This is the only way I can do it, and it's not great. :)

LittleHealthy
August 17th, 2019, 05:06 AM
I’m terrible at this, too. I sit my phone in a certain spot and use the timer. I try to use the exact same spot each time if I’m doing length shots!

guska
August 17th, 2019, 05:27 AM
When I take pictures with my smartphone, I always have to stay still for two second after I've pressed the button. This is extra important to do when the lightning is bad, otherwise the pictures turn out blurry.

ETA: If I remember correctly, it has to do with the shutter speed.

MusicalSpoons
August 17th, 2019, 08:03 AM
When I take pictures with my smartphone, I always have to stay still for two second after I've pressed the button. This is extra important to do when the lightning is bad, otherwise the pictures turn out blurry.

Ooooh yes, that's an excellent point. True of my phone too.

eresh
August 17th, 2019, 09:28 AM
I use my mobile phone to take pictures.
Of a bun I can stretch my arm back and take a picture.
But of length, I set the 10sec timer
And it usually takes lots of shots to get a decent one LOL

Or I ask the husband to take a photo for me.
But he doesn't like to do this very often haha.

Wildcat Diva
August 17th, 2019, 09:02 PM
I have really long monkey arms and I stretch my arm holding my smartphone out behind me as I am positioned with my back to the bathroom mirror. I use a hand mirror to hold up to see the phone screen’s reflection in the bathroom mirror and when I have it aligned perfectly I drop down the arm holding the hand mirror and I tap the photo button on the phone.

I’ve had years of practice by now.