PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for Sleeping?

Hailey Sims
August 16th, 2019, 12:35 AM
I was wondering, what do you all do with your hair during nighttime? I've been looking for way to do my hair for sleep that won't cause breakage or damage to my hair. I'm still new and just learning how to take care of my long hair. Thanks!

Simsy
August 16th, 2019, 02:21 AM
I usually just leave it in whatever bun I had during the day. I have also braided it to keep everything restrained. Restrained tends to work better for keeping damage to a minimum. You could also try some kind of sleep cap or scarf wrapped around to stop the night-time frizz.

sapphire-o
August 16th, 2019, 03:01 AM
Loose ponytail thrown over my pillow. :) Although your hair is quit a bit curlier than mine, so a loose braid (or two braids) would probably be much better. A bun on top of your head secured with a scrunchie would be pretty good, too. You can also try a silk or satin pillow case to reduce friction.

lapushka
August 16th, 2019, 05:00 AM
I sleep with it down. I have classic length. I just fold it under / behind my head.

milosmomma
August 16th, 2019, 11:27 AM
I always use a silky pillow case, just a cheap one from a dollar store but it helps immensely with keeping my shorter wispy escapes strands from tangling and splitting. As for styles I usually go with a high bun or a braid or braids. Dutch braids are usually my go to just because I prefer the waves they give and that the waves start higher up. If I do a regular 3 strand braid and then sleep on it, the hair up on my crown down to about chin will usually straighten out alot. The most important thing for me is just keeping my hairs restrained and untangled. I have slept with loose on occasions and it's not horribly tangled in the morning but I can tell it fairs better being contained in a style of some sort.

The Lizard Wife
August 16th, 2019, 03:21 PM
My preferred way is to split my hair down the middle and make two loose braids. Great for sleeping on my back, since the hair at the back of my head is flat. Great for sleeping with my head tilted or on my side, because I make the braids loose enough that the actual tight braid doesn't begin until under my chin, so again it's basically flat for sleeping on. And my hair has a negligible amount of tangles in the morning, so I assume it's working great! (This does mean the mid-lengths of my hair are never straight anymore though, oh well.)

I also have a silk pillowcase, just because. I didn't notice any particular problems with regular ones, but I figured why not.

MusicalSpoons
August 16th, 2019, 04:30 PM
I use a satin pillowcase, and do a bun loose at the scalp then wrap satin around it (currently my sleep cap folded over it, held in place by its own elastic). I usually secure the bun vertically with a short fork about the width of my bun.

We've had dozens of threads about sleeping styles; if you search for 'sleep' 'sleeping' or 'bed' in the search bar you'll find lots more ideas, including threads with responses from members who aren't currently active :)

Groovy Granny
August 16th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I have satin pillowcases and wear twin English braids; during the sight they are flipped from side to side as I turn.

A single English (side or center) gets weird bumps from twisting to the side(s) and in general I cannot wear high buns :headache:

I detangle with my BBB Vented Wet Brush, and apply Biosilk serum from the ears down before/after braiding.

In the morning my hair is tangle free, and the twin braids give me evenly spaced soft waves.

I wouldn't mind wearing it lose but it is so fine and wispy it would be a tangled cobwebby mess by morning :slap:

Elodea
August 16th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I don't consider my hair to be particularly fragile and don't mind it maybe getting a little tangled at night, so most of the time I leave it loose and draped over the top of the pillow/mattress behind my head when I sleep. That way the ends don't tickle/poke my face and I don't feel lumps from braids pressing into my head when I'm trying to fall asleep. Occassionally I'll sleep with it braided (crown braid, or maybe double french braids or something) if I want to wear that style for a few days without having to re-do it.

Hailey Sims
August 17th, 2019, 12:35 AM
Thank you guys so much for all the replies!! I'll definitely be trying out some of these ideas!:D

Corvana
August 17th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Generally a single english braid, or double english braids! I also have a satin pillowcase, which is really nice. Last night I ended up off of my satin pillowcase and onto the cotton one of the pillow underneath and I woke up with my hair a MESS. My braids usually shred a little bit when I sleep, but this morning it looked like I was electrocuted! Awful :laugh:

cestlavie
August 17th, 2019, 01:20 AM
I make a loose cinnabun on the top of my head and secure it with two small claw clips. I put the clips in such a way that I don't feel them when I'm laying on my side. I also have a satin pillowcase.

Natalia_A00
August 17th, 2019, 06:04 AM
I usually do pigtail braids or one side braid. They're useful if you want to avoid knots and tangles.
Maybe I'll consider getting a sleeping cap or something like that. Also they say that satin or silk pillowcases are good to prevent hair breakage.

MaGee5
August 17th, 2019, 07:53 AM
I French braid mine 4 nights a week and do a deep oiling and put it in a bun 3 nights a week. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase.

lxtcrxlly
January 19th, 2020, 12:32 PM
I have shorter hair still ☹ - sadly! But I put my hair up as if I'm going to put it in a bun, hold it with one hand and then put my silk bonnet over it. I don't like the idea of actually having it in a style while I'm sleeping and would rather it was all out of my face and free still instead. It seems to work really well for my hair so hopefully it's not doing my hair any damage.

MamaLou
January 20th, 2020, 02:40 AM
I have shorter hair still ☹ - sadly! But I put my hair up as if I'm going to put it in a bun, hold it with one hand and then put my silk bonnet over it. I don't like the idea of actually having it in a style while I'm sleeping and would rather it was all out of my face and free still instead. It seems to work really well for my hair so hopefully it's not doing my hair any damage.

That is probably the best way to wear your hair to bed so you're definitely not damaging it!!

I recently started wearing a satin bonnet and my hair is so soft when it comes out! Definitely better than wearing a braid but I still wear a braid when I'm sleeping at my boyfriends place.

Untressed
January 21st, 2020, 06:47 PM
I do one braid since my hair has thinned. Off to the side. Probably will start wearing a sleep bonnet too as it can't hurt.