PDA

View Full Version : ORS Hair Products Banned in Europe ~ Legit Concerns?

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Someone just mentioned ORS has been banned from Europe .:hmm:

I recently bought (but have not used) ORS Olive Oil Moisture Restore Creamy Aloe Shampoo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGIFBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and (have only tried this once) ~

ORS Olive Oil Strengthen & Nourish Replenishing Conditioner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXD1AA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I have no head for ingredients :doh: and the conditioner looks safe to me (mostly NATURAL oils?)....
but I really don't know/understand the rest.:o

So if someone could please point out what the potential danger is in either/both of these I would appreciate it. :thumbsup:

It was weird to look it up and see the discrepancy between Europe and the US in banning certain things :hmm:
It could be that in my 68 years I have already damaged myself by using much worse products because my hair loves sulfates and cones :p

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Info from Panthera here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126669&page=497&p=3709516&viewfull=1#post3709516) and quoted below:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R1198&from=EN

Someone was selling ors products here and they had to stop selling them because of the law. I don't know if every product contains the methyl...that, but at least the hair masque and some conditioners do. Unless they changed the ingredients.

I don't know if it's really that bad, the EU laws are sometimes a bit ridiculous. They're even banning plastic q-tips and who knows what. I understand the thing about reducing plastic but come on...
Ah, so it is an allergy concern then....I wonder what products I have used over the decades that had that in it?

Ah, so it is an allergy concern then....I wonder what products I have used over the decades that had that in it?

I will only be using it once a month, maybe twice as I rotate products, and will be alert if something happens.

So as not to derail that thread, I started this topic and reposted the link/info you provided.

Thank you Panthera :flowers:

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 01:37 PM
A few LHC peeps I know use these products ~ one inspired me to buy the conditioner after posting their experience with it ;)

I don't wish to point them out if they don't want to participate...but feel free to express your thoughts :popcorn:

GrowlingCupcake
August 13th, 2019, 01:43 PM
From what I looked up regarding that specific ingredient, it is fine in rinse off products so your shampoo should be fine, and if you don't notice any issues with the conditioner, that should be fine as well.

It does belong to a class of chemicals that is not good for marine life/the environment, though. I don't know if using it in shampoo/conditioner will lead to much of it getting into runoff, but if that is a concern for you, I would not get more after these two bottles are over.

Also, a lot of products contain it.

ETA: I do feel I should point out that a large number of products we use are not good for the environment. I am by no means singling this out or saying anyone who uses it is a horrible person, etc. but I figured I'd bring it up since we are talking about one specific chemical.

The EU ban seems to have nothing to do with environmental concerns so it may not be an issue at all for this particular compound.

Panthera
August 13th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I've never heard about it before, I was just wondering where the ors products disappeared so I googled about it. I wanted to try them too.
Seems like it's not just Europe, there's some kind of restrictions in Canada and Japan too. Interesting.
Just a random site I found from google
https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/methylisothiazolinone/

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.
Other HIGH concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology, Neurotoxicity
About METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE: Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.

Function(s): Preservative

Allergies/immunotoxicityConcern Reference
Known human immune toxicant or allergen European SCCS
Human skin toxicant or allergen - strong evidence Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments
Human sensitizer toxicant or allergen - strong evidence Burnett CL, Bergfeld WF, et al
Human toxicant or allergen - moderate evidence M D Lundov, T Krongaard, T L Menné & J D Johansen
One or more human case studies show significant skin or allergenic effects Chang MW, Nakrani R
Limited evidence of immune system toxicity or allergies National Library of Medicine HazMap

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 01:55 PM
From what I looked up regarding that specific ingredient, it is fine in rinse off products so your shampoo should be fine, and if you don't notice any issues with the conditioner, that should be fine as well.

It does belong to a class of chemicals that is not good for marine life/the environment, though. I don't know if using it in shampoo/conditioner will lead to much of it getting into runoff, but if that is a concern for you, I would not get more after these two bottles are over.

Also, a lot of products contain it.

ETA: I do feel I should point out that a large number of products we use are not good for the environment. I am by no means singling this out or saying anyone who uses it is a horrible person, etc. but I figured I'd bring it up since we are talking about one specific chemical.

The EU ban seems to have nothing to do with environmental concerns so it may not be an issue at all for this particular compound.

Yes, using so little so infrequently 'shouldn't' be an issue....but now that it has my attention....with my health issues I wonder if it is worth the risk :hmm:
OTOH....yes, there could be other products with that ingredient that I have used in the past or use now....and I have no problems of the sort...I don't think :lol:

I've never heard about it before, I was just wondering where the ors products disappeared so I googled about it. I wanted to try them too.
Seems like it's not just Europe, there's some kind of restrictions in Canada and Japan too. Interesting.
Just a random site I found from google
https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/methylisothiazolinone/

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.
Other HIGH concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology, Neurotoxicity
About METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE: Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.

Function(s): Preservative

Allergies/immunotoxicityConcern Reference
Known human immune toxicant or allergen European SCCS
Human skin toxicant or allergen - strong evidence Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments
Human sensitizer toxicant or allergen - strong evidence Burnett CL, Bergfeld WF, et al
Human toxicant or allergen - moderate evidence M D Lundov, T Krongaard, T L Menné & J D Johansen
One or more human case studies show significant skin or allergenic effects Chang MW, Nakrani R
Limited evidence of immune system toxicity or allergies National Library of Medicine HazMap

It seems the concern is the concentration...especially in COSMETICS...which are used many times a day directly on the eyes/skin etc

So perhaps infrequent use dilated and rinsed off isn't really an area of high concern re: this product :hmm:

Thank you both for weighing in :heart:

Question: are all METHYLS in this category (as cones are) :confused:
For example....there is METHYLPROPIONAL in the Biosilk 17 Miracle Leave In Conditioner I JUST bought (and in the serums I have used for over a year) :p
If I have time/brain energy I will try to scope out the ingredients of my regular products :eye:

GrowlingCupcake
August 13th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Methyl means that the compound contains a methyl group, CH3. They are not all the same class/category.

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Methyl means that the compound contains a methyl group, CH3. They are not all the same class/category.

Oh ok....over MY head lol....but thank you for clarifying; looks like my Biosilk is fine :whistle:

Thank you :flowers:

But...I feel better after reading this https://www.healthline.com/health/methylchloroisothiazolinone#takeaway

It is widely used for a number of things...is SAFE FOR RINSE OFF PRODUCTS....and is regulated for safe concentration levels in the US. :thumbsup:

I think I will be using my ORS :whistle: especially with how infrequently I use it....will NOT use it as a leave in....and will reconsider buying more in the future after research :eye:

Please continue the convo if you have anything to share :popcorn:

MusicalSpoons
August 13th, 2019, 03:10 PM
We had a recent thread about the methylisothi(whatevers) and there was an interesting link that actually summarised the studies used as evidence, enabling readers to draw their own conclusions to an extent. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150415

The link was this: http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/methylisothiazolinone/

My response (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150415&p=3705633&viewfull=1#post3705633) to the facts summarised on that page:

(My words have kind of gone so if this comes across a bit short or sharp, I don't intend it to. Apologies if it does :blossom:)

Context:
Rats - with far smaller organ systems than ours
High concentrations above 50% - irrelevant when it comes to cosmetics
In vitro cell studies, cerebral cortex cells - unless you're washing or injecting your brain with these chemicals, no need to worry!

Worth noting: no ill effects to rodents when the chemicals were in their drinking water.
The overall conclusion is these chemicals are basically fine if you're not allergic to them.
(Source: the link SixSeeds posted)

EDIT: not wishing to invalidate anyone's sensitivity/allergies to them though. Seems to be more common than many people realise and of course absolutely not fine for anyone who *does* have such allergy/sensitivity. So be aware they are potential allergen, but if no ill effects when using products containing either or both, you'll be fine :)
(Underlined bits relevant to this thread)

ORS being banned is news to me, and alas the EU legal link in panthera's post goes to a page not found. I'd be very interested to learn more, especially as I've seen ORS for sale here within the past couple of months.

blackgothicdoll
August 13th, 2019, 03:16 PM
My mom used primarily ORS product on me growing, up, and I used the shampoo, conditioner and leave in for years as a young adult. I also used the relaxers, so I'm not going to say my hair benefited from it, but I sure didn't die.

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 03:25 PM
We had a recent thread about the methylisothi(whatevers) and there was an interesting link that actually summarised the studies used as evidence, enabling readers to draw their own conclusions to an extent. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150415

The link was this: http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/methylisothiazolinone/

My response (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150415&p=3705633&viewfull=1#post3705633) to the facts summarised on that page:

(Underlined bits relevant to this thread)

ORS being banned is news to me, and alas the EU legal link in panthera's post goes to a page not found. I'd be very interested to learn more, especially as I've seen ORS for sale here within the past couple of months.

Oh geez...I had no idea this was addressed before....:doh:
DH was very ill and I have been away the past 2 months.
I will have the mods merge the two threads if they see fit to do so....and read up as well ;)

Here is the link https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R1198&from=EN
I must have lost some of it when copying; my apologies :o

I think the last sentence in your cosmetic info page sums it up (for me anyway)

If you are not allergic, MIT and CMIT are among the safer preservatives with regard to long-term chronic health effects

Thank you for posting....I agree based on things I am reading as well, and I am feeling much more at ease now :)

Groovy Granny
August 13th, 2019, 03:38 PM
My mom used primarily ORS product on me growing, up, and I used the shampoo, conditioner and leave in for years as a young adult. I also used the relaxers, so I'm not going to say my hair benefited from it, but I sure didn't die.

Oh...and you used a leave in as well; I was considering using the conditioner as a leave in...tiny amounts/rarely....so that should be fine :hmm:

MusicalSpoons
August 13th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Oh geez...I had no idea this was addressed before....:doh:
DH was very ill and I have been away the past 2 months.
I will have the mods merge the two threads if they see fit to do so....and read up as well ;)

Here is the link https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R1198&from=EN
I must have lost some of it when copying; my apologies :o

I think the last sentence in your cosmetic info page sums it up (for me anyway)

Thank you for posting....I agree based on things I am reading as well, and I am feeling much more at ease now :)

Nonono, don't worry at all! I just referenced it because it was pertinent; your thread was specific to the ORS products without knowing it would even be related to those ingredients anyway :) :flowers:

Thank you for the link, I look forward to reading it when my brain has recharged a bit :D

Groovy Granny
August 19th, 2019, 05:17 PM
I tried the aloe shampoo and the orange oil conditioner again and both are very nice; using a dab of the conditioner as a leave in worked as well.

The shampoo has a very faint botanical fragrance,and the conditioner smells strongly of orange.
I'm not one for fruity scents/orange but it is nice for Summer.

My hair was bright and shiny; I only found out later that it gently clarifies hair without stripping....in fact it is very moisturizing.

My holy grails are turning out to be Biosilk and Neutrogena Triple Moisture, and my first thought was that I won't buy this when it runs out.....but my mind is changing to use it for my clarifying washes, and I WILL buy more as needed.

So any ingredient concerns are long gone ;)
It is in many products and has had no allergic response in me :shrug: