PDA

View Full Version : What can I even do? Help me through this...

AspenSong
August 12th, 2019, 03:14 PM
So for anyone who reads my blog or has read the prayer thread for me, you know I went through a major medical emergency back in May. Nearly died and all kinds of good stuff. Made it through and ended up having to cut my calf length hair back to chin length because it was un-saveable because of how it had matted up during my hospital stay.
The cut was bad enough and the hair that got ripped out or broken during that ordeal thinned out my already fine and thin hair out dramatically. But afterwards I started to shed. And it's just continued. I counted the chunk I got just from shampooing today, 100 hairs just there. That's not to mention what came out during brushing, conditioning, and just general ones that fall anytime my hands get near my head in any way. I've got to be losing close to 200 a day. I can see some new baby hairs, but it just doesn't seem like a lot. And levels of stuff from the Dr all are fine and they just say stress, etc..

My problem is, look at this.....
https://i.imgur.com/0ukeTwj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SOBtLy1.jpg

I'm not being dramatic when I say I look pretty much bald on top. =(
I am doing anything I personally know to do, but I'm open if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions or help.
I'm also struggling with some flakies occasionally on my scalp and like, little balls of sebum that seem to pop up constantly.

I know it takes time for results, but I'm taking a hair vitamin and collagen.
I am eating a ton of protein, between normal food and shakes...and that's just actually side stuff I'm doing for dietary for health, hopefully it helps with the hair too.
I'm switching between using PureZero Scalp therapy shampoo and conditioner and the L'Anza Stimulating Shampoo, Conditioner and scalp treatment.
I don't know what else I can do or anything. I'm feeling completely defeated. I won't leave the house without a hat on anymore. I do my best day by day to focus on literally anything else than my hair. I feel like being sick when I see it or look at it, so I pretty much avoid the mirror. But when I see pictures, I just can't believe how horrible it is and I can barely handle it. I feel like I've lost part of myself and if it comes back, it's going to take so long and that's just as disheartening. =(

So any sage words or advice or ideas....

Simsy
August 12th, 2019, 03:26 PM
As much as it might hurt; shaving back and rocking scalp might honestly be the best thing at the moment. It should give you a break from stressing over thinning hair, and it might help your scalp recover without trying to grow hair at the same time. On the plus side, there are very few people who can’t rock a scarf like a millionaire and it might become a favorite accessory.

Whatever you decide, I hope you’re healing well. Please take care.

lapushka
August 12th, 2019, 03:36 PM
I think leaving it at chin length is the best thing to do. Wait until it evens out. IMO shaving is only going to make your feelings worse.

Did you talk about this with a doctor yet, because that much hair loss is not normal.

It basically reminds me of my puberty beginnings, when I had hormonal imbalance and my hair looked about like that. It took a year to get back to what it was before again. But my hormones evened out.

The thing is you need to get to the bottom of this first, which means asking a doctor for advice! :flower:

AspenSong
August 12th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Yeah, like I said....Dr just says levels they've checked are normal, they think it's stress, etc..etc. I have to go for labs again in a few weeks, I guess I'll ask again then, see how things are going at that point.

Groovy Granny
August 12th, 2019, 03:53 PM
My Mom had significant hair loss and got a clip in piece that blended with her hair,...which was white, fine, and see through to begin with.
So if you can find a wig store near you who also does pieces; it wasn't very costly and a lighter coverage than a whole wig...which could also be an option.
This happened 15 years ago, she has long since passed, and we're on the East Coast, so I can't provide further info.

I am sorry you are suffering so; you have already been through so much (((Hugs))).

The cut itself looks amazing on you, but I can understand how the thinning is bogging you down.
For the most part,unless a person is towering over you, it may not be a visible as you think it is.

Thankfully the labs are good, and now that you are better..... hopefully things will settle down internally for you and your normal hair growth will resume.

Sorry I can't be of more help....except to keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your direction, hair growth, and peace :pray:

jane_marie
August 12th, 2019, 03:55 PM
I agree with Simsy, If it were me I would shave it and get some really rockin head scarfs. I had my head completely shaved for awhile and found it pretty fun. I could wear fun wigs to suit my moods without the commitment of dying and cutting and I learned a lot of different ways to wrap head scarfs. Maybe you could take the head shave time to condition your scalp and find something super relaxing to do to ease your stress/anxiety.

Kalamazoo
August 12th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Caboki to the rescue! It looks to me like you've got enough fine little vellus hairs going on so that Caboki could stick to it & make your scalp look like you've got a full head of hair. I've used it. It's a natural plant fiber with iron oxide for coloring. It works great.

Also, just last night, I learned the difference between sleeping on a silk pillowcase & polyester! Amazing!

Nini
August 12th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Considering your body went through some massive shocks it's not that surprising something like this happens. It sucks, but it happens.

And as with everything else hair related now you gotta play the waiting game...

I'd suggest finding something to keep your mind off this, whether it's going for walks, reading or whatever. Sticking to a healthy diet and keep on keeping on, difficult as that is.

Good luck!

Groovy Granny
August 12th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Caboki to the rescue! It looks to me like you've got enough fine little vellus hairs going on so that Caboki could stick to it & make your scalp look like you've got a full head of hair. I've used it. It's a natural plant fiber with iron oxide for coloring. It works great.

Oh yes :thumbsup:

A few people mentioned using it (or similar) here on LHC and I remembered to mention it when you first got home and posted about the changes...then I forgot :doh:

lapushka
August 12th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Yeah, like I said....Dr just says levels they've checked are normal, they think it's stress, etc..etc. I have to go for labs again in a few weeks, I guess I'll ask again then, see how things are going at that point.

My doctor said (back in the day) to wait and see. My mom got me hair, skin & nails supplements and a lotion (Bioscalin). It made me feel better but I doubt it really did that much. It took a year in my case to grow back.

At some point the hair loss has to stop.

Have you been to a dermatologist, especially? They may say something totally different.

MusicalSpoons
August 12th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Your body has been through a huge trauma, so it being a stress shed makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it does mean you have to somehow ride it out until it stops shedding so much and then starts to regrow. One positive thing is that if your nutritional levels and general health are now okay and stable, you can be confident that it *will* grow back to how it was before - or perhaps even healthier if the supplements and extra protein are additions to your diet since your health emergency.

I wish I had some practical advice but I don't; I can only try to imagine how difficult this must be for you and while it's easy to say 'it will grow back', actually getting through the time it takes is undoubtedly the really hard part. Fun scarves sound like a good idea, or even rocking the hats in styles of your choice for a while - I don't know what kind of things appeal to you, but maybe you can find a style of head covering that fits with your personality and style that you feel comfortable wearing enough of the time to take your mind off your hair for as long as you need?

Sending you the very best of wishes and lots of hugs :grouphug: :flowers:

(It did just occur to me that if you tried something like Cabooki, is it something you could add cocoa to? If so and you like the smell of chocolate, that could be some small thing to enjoy.)

Suortuva
August 12th, 2019, 04:29 PM
I'm so sorry for everything you have gone through AspenSong, and unfortunately I don't have any good advice... But I'm sure you will fix this!

But when I now read about what's happening with your hair, I had very similar thoughts as Nini. As I understand it, it's not uncommon to go through some serious shedding about 3-6 months after different kind of traumatic events. I know it sounds horrible to say, but considering what happened to you, this was kind of to be expected too... And when that kind of shedding has started, there's no way to stop it, because these hairs are already dead, you just need to go through that shedding period, it will stop and the new hairs will grow again.

Of course I'm not a medical professional and it can be something else and it always good to seek help.

But don't panic, I really think patience is the solution, you just need to figure out how to handle it meantime, and we all will be here to support you.

*Hugs*

ETA: Oh, I didn't see MusicalSpoons response...

Lady Stardust
August 12th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Hugs AspenSong :grouphug: You have been through huge trauma. Your body concentrated on just what it could cope with to keep you alive. My understanding is that stress sheds show up some time after the period of stress, so it seems logical that you’re shedding a lot now. Crappy, but logical. What you’re seeing is a representation of what your body went through to keep you here.

I think it’s hard to take in the full extent of what happened to you. Your hair thinning is a physical manifestation that you can’t ignore. Somehow you’re going to have to come to terms with what happened, and what continues to happen, to you. You might find that meditation or counselling will help? The way to get through this, given the length of time it will take for your hair to recover to the length and thickness it was, is to somehow make peace with it. It sucks, it is really utterly sh*t to be going through this. I think you need someone to help guide you through, a therapist, or a yoga practitioner, or a musician, artist...anyone that can help you to deal with what you’ve been through and what you will continue to go through.

It will get better. It’s going to be baby steps, and it seems like it has got worse before it got better. Again, that seems logical. I think finding a way of looking forward will help, but finding a way to accept what is happening right now, has got to be the first priority.

Finally....you have incredibly fantastic skin, from photos I’ve seen on your blog, and your face is stunning. You can carry off any look you need to. You can get through this, looking beautiful every step of the way.

:blossom:

spidermom
August 12th, 2019, 04:39 PM
I can't imagine any circumstance under which I'd be willing to shave my head completely, but I do think I'd keep it about chin length or even pixie and wait to see if it thickens up. Meanwhile - rock those hats and scarf wraps, maybe even a wig. Headcovers.com and other sites have absolutely gorgeous things to put on your head; that's what I'd do.

Focus on getting your health under control, and more than likely your hair will follow.

embee
August 12th, 2019, 04:53 PM
That's like being kicked when you're down. Bummer! I would be so unhappy.

Not sure if I'd shave it off , probably not, but I'd try to be excited about new growth coming in. Stress is terrible, and your poor bod has had more than its share this year. Since it is still summer, hats are not such a great idea, too hot... other than sunhats, which you should certainly wear to avoid scalp sunburn. Come winter you can cover up more easily.

Big earrings are your friend.

Kalamazoo
August 12th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Personally, I think I'd hang on for dear life to whatever hairs were still hanging on to me. After all, they're going to grow back. Well, even if you choose to shave, they're going to grow back. This is just a temporary phase.

Back to silk vs. satin: I don't actually have a silk pillowcase (yet). Last night, I just draped a silk scarf over my pillow instead of using a polyester satin case. Result: My head wasn't sweaty all night, because silk's a natural fiber & it breathes to make you the most comfortable temperature possible. So, to my amazement, I went to bed with damp hair, having just washed it, & woke up with it all dry. I think a silk pillow cover could make you more comfortable, help you relax, and get a better night's sleep, which would help your scalp get back to normal.

According to the eBay silk pillowcase ads, silk has some amazing side benefits:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1
says: "Why Silk
Natural mulberry silk is of many wonderful skin healing and health promoting properties. It is also called the "queen of natural fiber". Modern science has proven that it is 98% of protein containing 18 amino acids. It is the oldest natural fiber been used as surgical internal sewing thread, and it works a wonder for people with burnt skin and eczema on clinical trials...

Silk Care Instruction
Hand wash, or machine wash cold in delicate cycle, separately from other items.
Hang dry, or cold air machine dry.
Please do not expose silk under the strong sun."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-100-Mu...r=432334762667
says:

"Description:

Luxurious and attractive
Temperate, perfect for all weathers
Softer, feels much softer than cotton against the skin
Natural, silk is naturally hypoallergenic
Help to Beauty, keeps your hair tangle free and helps to fight wrinkles
Material: Mulberry Silk"

GrowlingCupcake
August 12th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this, and I really hope it gets better soon. I completely understand feeling like a part of you is gone.

I'm with everyone else that has said stress sheds; your body has been through so much, and even if your hba1c is fine now, high blood sugar is incredibly damaging. I had a pain/stress/illness shed back in September last year (flu + never ending cough + back episode = not fun), and I still haven't recovered from it. I don't know if I would shave my head but if you're fine with that, maybe consider just shaving it, and getting a wig instead. Or something like Caboki as suggested.

Either way, hang in there! As your body recovers, your hair will too. It might take a bit, but you'll get it back.

leayellena
August 13th, 2019, 12:46 AM
hugs and prayers for you AspenSong :pray::heart:and of course a quick recovery! I think mentaining at chin length for now is bettter than shaving. or if you want you can try a pixie, still easier to grow this than growing it all from scratch.
but hey! you actually grew you hair to calf leength! :bowtome:
take it easy and give yourself time to recover.

MamaLou
August 13th, 2019, 04:00 AM
I also think the hair loss is related to the stress you've been through, but you could make an appointment with a dermatologist to make sure it is not something else. Maybe a wig can make you feel a bit more comfortable right now? I hope you'll be feeling much better soon!

pailin
August 13th, 2019, 05:15 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, after already having had to do such a drastic cut. That sounds awful.
That said, I believe when I was reading up on sheds, I read that the hairs that are going to shed don't shed immediately, they don't actually fall out for a couple months. So the timing is unfortunately probably about right for the major, major physical stress you just went through. It wouldn't hurt to see a dermatologist though. And check out the list of whatever medications you are currently on to see if any of them can cause shedding.
In the meantime, everyone's already made a lot of suggestions- it's a great time to buy some cute hats and experiment with accessories, and check out that Caboki.
I hope your health is doing better in the meantime and you're starting to feel stronger.

Kalamazoo
August 13th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Dear AspenSong,

Calf Length is a MAJOR accomplishment! Wow.

In a way, your hair is yours forever. Although you can't hold it in your hand at the present time, the wisdom & patience & experience that you gained from growing it out, are something no one can take from you. There is a spiritual dimension to being a longhair, and it's still a part of you. It affects the way you look at things. In a way, getting your hair cut off makes you a real Rapunzel, because that happened to her too. (Here I am, talking about a fairy tale as if it were reality!)

Someplace, I read something like, "The absence of a thing is more powerful than its presence." I'm not sure who said that. Emily Dickinson? Edna St. Vincent Mallay? But you know, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." It's either that, or else, "Out of sight, out of mind." This is a chance for you to get in touch with who you really are, and what your hair really is &/or has been.

Calf-length hair doesn't happen overnight. It takes years of patience, love, hard work, protective hairstyles, eating right, gentle combing techniques, and on & on. When you meet a stranger in the supermarket, they look at you a certain way, just because you've got hair, long hair, beautiful hair. When you look in the mirror, you see your hair, & you feel all right because it's there, and you have the confidence to meet the world, because you know you're looking good, because your hair's there.

Suddenly, it's gone. Some longhairs have nightmares about waking up and finding out their hair's gone. But they wake up, and it was only a dream, and they clutch their hair and breathe a huge sigh of ... well, it's more than relief.

But you woke up, and it was really gone. And it still is ... gone. Maybe it feels like an amputation.

Christopher Reeve, an actor who's most famous for playing Superman, got thrown from a horse and wound up a quadriplegic. Superman met his Kryptonite. Couldn't even brush his teeth.

He wrote his autobiography, I'm Still Me. He found that his wife, family, & friends still loved him.

Joni Eareckson Tada, another famous quad, really came to know God after that diving accident. She had a choice, whether to shrivel up inside with bitterness & anger against God, or ...

God still loves you, AspenSong. He gave you the long hair because He loved you. It doesn't matter to Him whether you have long hair or short or none at all. What He cares about is your inner core person. He loves the real you, who you really are, deep-down. Each day of life is a gift directly from Him. A chance to get to know Him more. Another opportunity to feel His love for you coursing through your veins. Another day to hear the birds joyfully screaming beautiful songs of His incomparable majesty. Another day to just melt in His arms of love.

Yes, God either did this to you, or allowed it to happen. But He is all-powerful. He would have stopped it from happening if it were going to harm you in some way He couldn't fix. He loves you to the core of your being. This is the opportunity that He has created for you, to allow you to see yourself the way He does, to experience the utter profundity of the depths of His love for you.

And tomorrow, He's going to love you even more.

lapushka
August 13th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Hang in there. :flower:

I went through this myself and it is NOT easy! Few people understood. I was also 13/14 years old and just going through puberty so people did look at me funny. My hair came back in 2b/c when it was 1b'ish before (just like mom's hair). When it was over I had my dad's wavy hair. LOL!

And it is going to come back; I'm sure of it.

Once you are on top of your health issues and/or know how to deal with them, you'll see... it's going to get a lot easier & better.

Gotta hang in there, Aspensong!

Hope you're doing fine for the rest!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 13th, 2019, 11:47 AM
It's not surprising that your hair has been falling out Aspensong, after such a terrible strain and shock on your body. It's concentrating on healing on recovery and healing now, rather than producing hair. But as your system gets back on track and your health comes back your hair will recover and regrow. It will just take patience and time. Thankfully you are young enough to have the time for this to happen.

Kalamoo's comment is true wisdom :) Hugs to you. We are just so glad and relieved that you are still here with us!

enting
August 13th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I think the Cabooki suggestion might be useful, I don't know how it works but I can't tell it's being used by the members here that use it. It just looks like hair and I take them at their word that their hair is terribly thin because I really don't see it.

I think I personally wouldn't cut it any shorter or shave it, but as you know, I would do headscarves - I wear them almost every day anyway and they make me feel better about my perpetual frizzies and wispies and sometimes bare patches from pulling...

There is absolutely no reason in the world that it shouldn't grow back just as thick as before once it finishes this post traumatic constant shedding. From what I've read it can take a number of months to calm down, but given how much you're doing to get you and your hair as healthy as you can, there's every reason in the world for it to grow as thick if not thicker than before once that turnaround happens.

Hailwidis
August 13th, 2019, 02:15 PM
I have been going through repeat sheds for the last 3 years and I feel for you Aspensong, I really do. It is such a horrible thing to deal with as a long hair.
There's nothing for us to do but try and treat the root cause, which you are doing, and riding it out. Sending you strength, I hope it gets better soon.

elfynity
August 13th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Hi Aspen song, without a doubt, you are still managing the stress from this traumatic experience. It doesn't seem normal what you went through. I personally don't think your hair is that bad. It isn't Rapunzels mane, but it is certainly not bald. You said that baby hairs are growing back, I would trust that. I am sure that in no time your roots will be very well covered again. It is abundantly clear that your hair shed was from the trauma - which means that the shedding will eventually stop. And also this whole major hair cut thing is all just still very new to you and quite a shock right now. Allow yourself time to heal and accept this. You are totally going to grow your hair back and it will seem so much quicker this time.

I would recommend collagen powder as a supplement as well as good old fashioned bone broths. I would also use something for your nerves, chamomile tea and Natura rescue drops perhaps - daily. I went through an horrific marriage and the stress was overpowering, but these above things saved me after the divorce and restored my health. I also lost my WL length hair to an inch cut.

Also, please look in the mirror and tell your hair that you are sorry, because it also went through as much trauma as you did. Love it now because this hair today will be touching the back of your knees a few years from now.

spitfire511
August 13th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Oh Aspensong -just love and hugs from this corner. You have so much wonderful advice and support here. Please do continue to care for you and try to remove as much stress as you can - you know well that stress only makes it all worse. This is certainly 'unfair' after all you've already endured. Praying that you find a solution that brings you some light and joy as it grows and continue to revel in those baby hairs!! They are good news!

enting
August 14th, 2019, 05:38 AM
I came across this post from a while ago.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16667
I don't know if you've been tested for zinc levels, or if doctors even generally test for that at all, but I figured I'd link the post here.

renia22
August 14th, 2019, 08:42 AM
You’ve gotten some great advice, and sounds like you have a plan regarding nutrition/ rest, etc.

One thing I wanted to mention, is during periods of excessive shedding, the one thing that I’ve personally found to be very helpful is rosemary essential oil. I don’t use carrier oils on my scalp, but I’ve mixed it in a base of spring or distilled water, with maybe a touch of pure aloe. I’ve used it dabbed on with a cotton ball, but these days I keep some of the mix in a glass spray bottle in the fridge (less manual manipulation that way). A while back I was saving shed hairs, and had before and after pictures. The difference was quite dramatic, but unfortunately I didn’t save the photos. If you put rosemary in the search, a ton of threads come up about it. Too many to list..but I recommend it. The one I use is from Mountain Rose Herbs (as is my aloe).

Good luck :blossom:!

Wendyclaire
August 14th, 2019, 09:49 AM
So sorry you’re going through this. I had a ruptured appendix several years ago and my hair fell out like that. It’s so incredibly traumatic I don’t even have the words to describe it. There’s no words. It will get better. That much I know!

enting
August 14th, 2019, 10:08 AM
You’ve gotten some great advice, and sounds like you have a plan regarding nutrition/ rest, etc.

One thing I wanted to mention, is during periods of excessive shedding, the one thing that I’ve personally found to be very helpful is rosemary essential oil. I don’t use carrier oils on my scalp, but I’ve mixed it in a base of spring or distilled water, with maybe a touch of pure aloe. I’ve used it dabbed on with a cotton ball, but these days I keep some of the mix in a glass spray bottle in the fridge (less manual manipulation that way). A while back I was saving shed hairs, and had before and after pictures. The difference was quite dramatic, but unfortunately I didn’t save the photos. If you put rosemary in the search, a ton of threads come up about it. Too many to list..but I recommend it. The one I use is from Mountain Rose Herbs (as is my aloe).

Good luck :blossom:!

Rosemary has been touted for male pattern balding, too. Most of the "woody" oils are good for one's scalp in some way or another, but I think rosemary and tea tree are the only ones that have been studied scientifically. Just make sure to properly dilute the oils.

I second the idea of putting them in a spray bottle with water or another fluid to make it easier to apply without unnecessary touching.

While I was looking through NCBI's pubmed I just came across this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30228264 which claims that synthetic sandalwood increased anagen phase in the lab. I am a bit skeptical, and I don't know if it would stop hairs that might already be in telogen from coming out, but it sounds cool. Either way sandalwood oil has emotional support properties.

ETA:
Ooh, geranium sibericum has been studied also - at least in this one study it worked better than minoxidil for hair growth. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28193226

If I find more plant extract studies of interest I'll try to link to them.

bparnell75
August 14th, 2019, 10:13 AM
CABOOKI sprinkled on that scalp and mixed in will make a huge difference while you are growing back.https://www.caboki.com/how-hair-fiber-works Can be purchased on Amazon also.

Yes,great thankfulness that you are back with us and seeing each day as a gift. Don't forget lovely straw hats for the summer.

Wendyclaire
August 14th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Dear AspenSong
Yes, God either did this to you, or allowed it to happen. But He is all-powerful. He would have stopped it from happening if it were going to harm you in some way He couldn't fix. He loves you to the core of your being. This is the opportunity that He has created for you, to allow you to see yourself the way He does, to experience the utter profundity of the depths of His love for you.
And tomorrow, He's going to love you even more.
I had to condense this long rambling post but this is an awful thing to say to someone going through what AspenSong is going through. I’ve been there and my hair wasn’t nearly as long. It’s utterly devastating and the last thing someone needs is a tirade about God and how he did this to you or allowed it to happen! Shame on you!

milosmomma
August 14th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Just hugs and support for you, I am sorry you have overcome your health trauma only to be faced with another ordeal. You are one tough cookie and I am proud of your strength and perseverance. It is really admirable. I dont think I have anything new to add but I second a silky pillow case. Scarves and hats are great for day time but I have been struggling to keep them from slipping off at night and the pillowcase is just such a great and simple option to protect hairs at night.
I have heard that melatonin can spurt hair growth after a shed but only saw one "study" and I'm not sure how scientific it was. They used crushed up pill supplements in the study I read and added to shampoo. I'm not sure how that would work, my understanding is melatonin is a hormone, I would think it needs ingesting to have any effect but I thought I would bring it up in case someone else has heard anything about it or knows where to find that study that I am trying to remember. I did try the crushed up supplements in my shampoo for a few weeks but it wasnt long enough to see any results.
I am sending you good vibes and happy energy. I am hoping your hair is quick to recover and you can feel back to normal and find some peace. I am rooting for you, you can and will do it!

GrowlingCupcake
August 14th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I had to condense this long rambling post but this is an awful thing to say to someone going through what AspenSong is going through. I’ve been there and my hair wasn’t nearly as long. It’s utterly devastating and the last thing someone needs is a tirade about God and how he did this to you or allowed it to happen! Shame on you!

This is my reaction as well, and if this had been posted on a thread I made, I would be rather upset about it regardless of their good intentions; as someone who is disabled, and who has not experienced a pain-free day since before I was a legal adult, I find this concept incredibly disquieting. However, we need to consider two things:
1) The post was made with good intentions; while we may not agree with the concepts, it is still important to take this into account, in my opinion.
2) We do not know if AspenSong shares similar beliefs to Kalamazoo. If she does, than that post would be a good thing for her. It is not our place to decide if this is something that needs to questioned.

That said, maybe future posts (on this thread, and others) could take into account that people vary in religious beliefs or lack thereof.* This concept is not found in the religion I grew up in or in many of the religions I grew up surrounded by. In addition, I know Christians who do not believe in this concept, as well; religious beliefs are personal, and differ even in the same religion.

*Unless, of course, the OP's beliefs are known.

-----

A word of caution since I have noticed suggestions for oral supplementation: please inform your doctors as even something as innocuous as chamomile can have unintended consequences if taken in large quantities, and/or frequently.

AspenSong
August 14th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Thanks all.

I'll look at the rosemary oil and geranium. And maybe I'll see if I could swing some of the Caboki stuff to try in the interim so I don't always have to have a hat on. =/

I know stress has been high. Between the physical stress in May and June, to then now I'm beginning to be under a lot of personal life stress. And that stress likely isn't going anywhere and could include a huge move at some point and a lot of stuff. So idk. I suppose I need to try to get into a better personal care routine and get back to some of the things I used to do to relax myself and do nice things for myself.
It's just so hard still.
And I am still adjusting to the short length and that does make it harder. I really really hate it. Truly hate it. And I don't think it's just cause I was kinda forced into the situation, I just don't like my hair this short, it's a pain to deal with.
And no way I'll shave it unless I like had NO other option. They really wanted to pixie it when they were trying to get it un-matted and I fought them on it and soldiered through 12 hours of having it untangled so it didn't end up shaved or in a pixie. So that's really not something I want to consider after all the literal headache to even save chin length hair. haha

GrowlingCupcake
August 14th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Maybe seeing a therapist, if you are able to, would help? Health psychologists can be very useful when hit with sudden chronic illnesses or the stress you are going through with regards to it.

PillowBook
August 14th, 2019, 12:41 PM
I'm also struggling with some flakies occasionally on my scalp and like, little balls of sebum that seem to pop up constantly.

May I suggest looking into a ketoconazole shampoo? In the US it's available over the counter as Nizoral shampoo (1% ketoconazole) or as a prescription (2% ketoconazole shampoo, an inexpensive generic normally covered under most insurances).

Normally it's used to treat fungal infections of the scalp (including dandruff) and psoriasis, but there is also some limited evidence that it may also help promote hair growth. Considering that you're already having an issue with dandruff, this may be something worth pursuing. Nizoral is not expensive and you can get it in any drugstore. However, please be aware that the shampoo base is quite strong. It's designed to help facilitate the removal of flakes, plaques, sebum, fungus so it's rather drying... make sure you have a good conditioner.

My personal experience with Nizoral has been very successful. It took 8 weeks but my hair has been thickening up and my scalp is the healthiest it ever been. I use it twice a week and leave it on for 3 to 5 min and then rinse out and follow with a rich conditioner (often I deep condition with heat).

AspenSong, I'm so sorry this is something you're dealing with :blossom:

enting
August 14th, 2019, 01:29 PM
I'm still reading through whatever research I can find for shedding. I'm not finding all that much more so far than whatever's been suggested.

Things that help:
Supplementing with omega 3 and 6 and antioxidants (which is pretty general)

as PillowBook just mentioned above, ketoconozale, piroctone olamine, or zinc pyrithione dandruff shampoos - this paper says the first two even thickened the existing hair shafts in addition to reducing shedding https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517

Things that contribute to hair loss:
deficiencies in D, ferritin, or zinc - but you said all your labs are good, so that's good.

I'll see if I find any more information on herbs/oils that might help.

And just in case seeing the words that it can and will grow back in official published paper form helps, this paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7967790)says that normal diet and removal of physical and mental stresses shows reversal of hairloss after illness or surgery. (Granted, the English isn't so good, but that's the gist of it.)

What sorts of things help you decompress? It really sounds like you're doing pretty much everything and your hair literally just needs time and positive vibes in general. :grouphug:

lapushka
August 14th, 2019, 01:44 PM
May I suggest looking into a ketoconazole shampoo? In the US it's available over the counter as Nizoral shampoo (1% ketoconazole) or as a prescription (2% ketoconazole shampoo, an inexpensive generic normally covered under most insurances).

Normally it's used to treat fungal infections of the scalp (including dandruff) and psoriasis, but there is also some limited evidence that it may also help promote hair growth. Considering that you're already having an issue with dandruff, this may be something worth pursuing. Nizoral is not expensive and you can get it in any drugstore. However, please be aware that the shampoo base is quite strong. It's designed to help facilitate the removal of flakes, plaques, sebum, fungus so it's rather drying... make sure you have a good conditioner.

My personal experience with Nizoral has been very successful. It took 8 weeks but my hair has been thickening up and my scalp is the healthiest it ever been. I use it twice a week and leave it on for 3 to 5 min and then rinse out and follow with a rich conditioner (often I deep condition with heat).

AspenSong, I'm so sorry this is something you're dealing with :blossom:

My leaflet says to leave it on 5-10 min. so I typically leave it on for 10 min. now. I remember it didn't used to say that, and that the maximum time was 5 min. but hey, maybe the formula has changed. I am in Belgium and we only have one type of Nizoral, the 2% and it is OTC, sold at pharmacies.

PallasAthena
August 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM
My heart goes out to you for all you have been through!

I am not going to suggest anything like a supplement or topical thing because after all the health issues you have had I really wouldn't want to suggest something that could be harmful. Dermatologists are a little better at dealing with something like hair loss and taking it seriously than a regular GP so if your insurance will cover it, that's what I would recommend.

What I do have experience with is temporary health related hair loss and coping with it. I wore wigs for about three years and scarves/hats when I didn't feel like wearing the wigs. During that time, protecting my scalp and what hair I had, it came back in better condition than before, though still thin. I think keeping it protected and not having to style it really helped the regrowth process. You can oil your scalp and hair before putting on your wig cap as well, which makes it like a treatment. There is a website called Name Brand Wigs that I got my nice work wigs from and they have the best prices I have seen. Lots of wig reviewers on YouTube to get some tips. I still love my wigs, though my son has taken most of them to cut and style because he's creative like that.

I tried clip-in pieces at first but I found them uncomfortable and they can cause traction alopecia over time. It's also hard to match color and texture in clip-ins in my experience, and just more easy and comfortable to wear wigs (and fun). Whatever you choose to do, I appreciate you being here and all your knowledge and hope you have a speedy recovery!

MusicalSpoons
August 14th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Maybe seeing a therapist, if you are able to, would help? Health psychologists can be very useful when hit with sudden chronic illnesses or the stress you are going through with regards to it.

Oooh yes, seconding this - I thought I'd adjusted fine and accepted my acquired disability (through chronic illness) but it turned out I'd just been keeping my head above water, getting through the days with regards to whatever issues it threw at me, but not really dealing with it. Having some support - that the relevant specialist service decided for me, I didn't think to try to seek anything out myself - actually was really beneficial.

(Also GrowlingCupcake well done for your calm and reasonable response upthread; I had similar feelings but didn't have a clue how even attempt to say it :applause)

I'm so sorry to hear you will likely continue to have a lot of stress, but hopefully it won't be on the same level as the shock and trauma to your body as your health emergency so your hair should still keep growing back, even if not as thickly as if you were not stressed. As in, the regrowth should still outweigh any ongoing effects from the 'lesser' stress (I'm in no way minimising your current stress, but relatively speaking for your body it should be less taxing) :flower:

g_lou
August 14th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I haven't been around long enough to know you, but I can feel the pain in your words and I'd like to offer my prayers of strength, self-compassion, and kindness from those around you.I can't begin to imagine what you've been going through and I'm beyond sorry for your loss. Take time to grieve, no longer having something important to you must be devastating. If you'd ever like some patterns for headscarfs, I'd be happy to send them your way. Maybe someone could suggest a soothing cream or something for scalp-care? Rosemary seems like a lovely thing to try. I don't know much about your situation and I can only hope I don't come across as insensitive. Thoughts and prayers.

Kalamazoo
August 14th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Um, ur, the way I would have condensed what I said would be, "God loves you & is there for you." I guess when I say things the long way, it's open to misinterpretation. Sorry for the verbosity.

lapushka
August 14th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Um, ur, the way I would have condensed what I said would be, "God loves you & is there for you." I guess when I say things the long way, it's open to misinterpretation. Sorry for the verbosity.

That is kind of the "gist" of it, of what I got from it. Don't worry about it. ;) And now, I am not particularly religious. I mean I was baptized, did my communion & Holy communion but we were never church goers for the rest, but I still got your message and that it wasn't badly intended *at all*! :flower:

I do have a pretty severe disability and I wasn't offended in any way either.

It's all for the OP to say as much or as little, IMMHO. :) Not for us to judge on!

Kalamazoo
August 14th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Lapushka!

milosmomma
August 14th, 2019, 08:52 PM
I think that is a lovely idea to pamper yourself, set aside some "you time", draw a bath for yourself or meditate. Do a hobby that brings you some relaxation and joy. Even something simple as painting your nails can alleviate some stress and brighten your day. I'm cheering you on from the sidelines I wish you the best

ManeGoal
August 14th, 2019, 10:38 PM
My heart goes out to you! My mom went through similar experience two years ago with a major health crisis and then hair loss, but her hair has gown back now, and curly too! I suppose a comforting thing to remind yourself when it hurts, is hair was made to grow! And that is the loveliest thing about it! This time of hair tragedy will not be forever. Hugs to you for such a difficult time in your life.

Joules
August 15th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Unfortunately, there's nothing that can stop stress-related shedding once it started. It goes away on its own, and the good news is that it will! You just need patience. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, but it will pass. As my Mom says, "everything flows, everything changes". I'm sending a lot of hugs and positive vibes your way :)