PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a silicone free conditioner with good slip.

MedievalCat
August 10th, 2019, 10:29 PM
I have fine strands and thick density wavy hair. I struggle with detangling on a daily basis. I have recently gone sulfate free and I am trying to go silicone free when it comes to my shampoo and conditioner. Can anybody recommend me a good silicone free conditioner for moisture and detangling? It is hard to find one with good slip.

leafygreens18
August 10th, 2019, 11:09 PM
I personally use Suave conditioners the ultra cheapo ones, because the slightly more expensive ones have cones.

blackgothicdoll
August 10th, 2019, 11:10 PM
The garnier fructis treats. I think papaya has the most slip. It's marketed as a mask but I use it as a regular rinse out as well.

milosmomma
August 11th, 2019, 12:33 AM
Eden bodyworks almond marshmallow deep conditioner has been my go to for nearly a year now. It has the best slip, comparable to cones but cone-free. I can't recommend it enough.

Nox_Inber
August 11th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Hi! I don't personally know which silicone free conditioner would be best but can I recommend oil for detangling? It could help give your hair the slip it needs if you're adverse to silicones. You can use it before showering, as a "rinse out oil" step during washing, or after showering to lock in moisture and give your hair more slip. We've even had a thread recently about spraying the oil, so you don't have to work it through your hair but you can get it coated. It could be helpful it getting out the tangles if silicone free conditioner alone isn't enough :) If you don't mind my asking, why are you choosing to go silicone free? Were you experiencing any issues with it?

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thanks! I am choosing to go silicone free because it creates a coating on the hair and prevents moisture from coming in. It makes your hair appear healthy when it's not. I noticed that my hair is pretty soft after using it..but it doesn't last. By the end of the day my hair isn't soft enough to prevent tangles.

floralgem
August 11th, 2019, 06:03 PM
I'd recommend Loreal Ever cream, which is silicon and sulfate free. That stuff completely changed my hair and even a while after using it my hair is still really good.

lapushka
August 11th, 2019, 06:17 PM
The garnier fructis treats. I think papaya has the most slip. It's marketed as a mask but I use it as a regular rinse out as well.

Definitely seconding these hair masks! They are awesome, and I have notoriously dry lengths, my hair just slurps up conditioner and can't get enough of it. And this does the trick for me!

They are called Garnier Fructis "hairfood" instead of "treats" in Belgium. But it's the same thing!

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM
So it's okay to use a hair mask as a conditioner every time I wash my hair?

Nox_Inber
August 11th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Thanks! I am choosing to go silicone free because it creates a coating on the hair and prevents moisture from coming in. It makes your hair appear healthy when it's not. I noticed that my hair is pretty soft after using it..but it doesn't last. By the end of the day my hair isn't soft enough to prevent tangles.

Very understandable, we all have different hair needs :) I hope you find the right product for your hair soon and get the tangle problem resolved :D That's never fun to deal with unfortunately.

nycelle
August 11th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Finding one would have been my holy grail. I winded up going back to A cones that don't build up.

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Your hair looks similar to mine! Is it a pain to detangle?

Reyn127
August 11th, 2019, 11:47 PM
I use the Acure brand Argan Oil & Pumpkin conditioner and will definitely be buying that one again. It doesnít weigh my hair down but the slip it gives is significant. (I also love the shampoo that goes with it.) Another conditioner is Andalou Naturals Argan Oil & Shea Deep Conditioner. I use that one on the areas of my hair that are the most dry, or very prone to tangling. Itís very effective and also pretty lightweight.

Those two are my favorite out of six conditioners Iíve tried so far after starting to use S/C again.

milosmomma
August 12th, 2019, 01:01 AM

I use my eden bodyworks every wash and my hair loves it. But I also use a watered down sulphate shampoo a few times a month and acv rinses frequently so my hair probably needs the extra moisture. I'd say yes it's okay, the worst case would be your hair gets weighed down.

JennGalt
August 12th, 2019, 05:53 PM

I do this and and I don’t use cones or sulfates. Also I use Live Clean conditioners (either the argan oil one or the superfruit one for curly hair) or Cantu cream conditioner for natural hair. All three are cheap, cone free, protein free, and pretty easy to get in the US or online. I’ve tried the Garnier mask and it doesn’t have enough slip for me to detangle unless I use almost the entire 100 ml tub, but like everything hair care related, ymmv.

Reservechic
August 12th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm. I first heard about it being raved about like crazy on NC.com abd then I started seeing a lot of videos of curlies raving about it on Youtube. It's relatively cheap, and it has excellent slip, is very moisturizing to ones hair, Abdullah leaves my hair very soft. It can be used by anyone who has hair, no matter what type of hair they have, even if ones hair is color treated (either using henna or artifice due), chemically processed, or natural. It is on the perfumey side, but thank God the scent doesn't linger for very long in ones hair. As, I absolutely can't deal with conditioners that do so. And, I now try and avoid them at all costs. I'm a migraine sufferer so, I have to be careful when it comes to scents for sure. It can be ordered online both in the 16 oz. nd liter sizes, as well as bought in-store.

it has a thick consistency, so the do have to shake it a bit to get it out, but hey, it's all good anyways, due to the wonderful way that it works. Now, I have only used this product with heat, as that is what works best for me towards getting maximum penetration of any conditioner as deep down into my hair shaft as possible. Plus, it acts as a way of boosting the benefits of the conditioner to a whole other level than without. The last time I checked, it was being offered buy 2, get 1 free. So, that sale may very well be going on all month long.

Besides using it as a DC, I have seen people use it to co-wash their hair with, and I've even them use this product as a leave in, and there are some that like to use a little bit to this stuff to style their curls with. I'm all about doing whatever one happens to find works best for them always.

It is silicone free, sulfate free, mineral oil free, dye free, and it contains no drying alcohols in it either.

Kalamazoo
August 13th, 2019, 03:15 AM
Howdy! I had the same question, so I started a thread, "Non-Coney Slip for Neolithic Longhairs". I was given excellent advice by the other LHC members. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148584

gin
August 13th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Silk18 by Maple Holistics!

MaGee5
August 13th, 2019, 04:45 PM
I like Líoreal Ever pure volume conditioner. Also find brushing first with nylon/boars head brush before a Wet brush gets a lot of tangles out with a lot less breakage.

S&S
August 13th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Briogeo - Don't Despair Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask

Brileeka
August 13th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Infusium23 conditioner is amazing and I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain silicone. At least I didn't see any when I was looking at the ingredients and it doesn't seem like it does.

Asrai
August 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM
I really love Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Moist conditioner & the Love Beauty & Planet conditioners. Both products are cone-free & I find provide a good amount of slip for my hair.