PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a silicone free conditioner with good slip.

MedievalCat
August 10th, 2019, 09:29 PM
I have fine strands and thick density wavy hair. I struggle with detangling on a daily basis. I have recently gone sulfate free and I am trying to go silicone free when it comes to my shampoo and conditioner. Can anybody recommend me a good silicone free conditioner for moisture and detangling? It is hard to find one with good slip.

leafygreens18
August 10th, 2019, 10:09 PM
I personally use Suave conditioners the ultra cheapo ones, because the slightly more expensive ones have cones.

blackgothicdoll
August 10th, 2019, 10:10 PM
The garnier fructis treats. I think papaya has the most slip. It's marketed as a mask but I use it as a regular rinse out as well.

milosmomma
August 10th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Eden bodyworks almond marshmallow deep conditioner has been my go to for nearly a year now. It has the best slip, comparable to cones but cone-free. I can't recommend it enough.

Nox_Inber
August 11th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Hi! I don't personally know which silicone free conditioner would be best but can I recommend oil for detangling? It could help give your hair the slip it needs if you're adverse to silicones. You can use it before showering, as a "rinse out oil" step during washing, or after showering to lock in moisture and give your hair more slip. We've even had a thread recently about spraying the oil, so you don't have to work it through your hair but you can get it coated. It could be helpful it getting out the tangles if silicone free conditioner alone isn't enough :) If you don't mind my asking, why are you choosing to go silicone free? Were you experiencing any issues with it?

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Thanks! I am choosing to go silicone free because it creates a coating on the hair and prevents moisture from coming in. It makes your hair appear healthy when it's not. I noticed that my hair is pretty soft after using it..but it doesn't last. By the end of the day my hair isn't soft enough to prevent tangles.

floralgem
August 11th, 2019, 05:03 PM
I'd recommend Loreal Ever cream, which is silicon and sulfate free. That stuff completely changed my hair and even a while after using it my hair is still really good.

lapushka
August 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM
The garnier fructis treats. I think papaya has the most slip. It's marketed as a mask but I use it as a regular rinse out as well.

Definitely seconding these hair masks! They are awesome, and I have notoriously dry lengths, my hair just slurps up conditioner and can't get enough of it. And this does the trick for me!

They are called Garnier Fructis "hairfood" instead of "treats" in Belgium. But it's the same thing!

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 05:47 PM
So it's okay to use a hair mask as a conditioner every time I wash my hair?

Nox_Inber
August 11th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks! I am choosing to go silicone free because it creates a coating on the hair and prevents moisture from coming in. It makes your hair appear healthy when it's not. I noticed that my hair is pretty soft after using it..but it doesn't last. By the end of the day my hair isn't soft enough to prevent tangles.

Very understandable, we all have different hair needs :) I hope you find the right product for your hair soon and get the tangle problem resolved :D That's never fun to deal with unfortunately.

nycelle
August 11th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Finding one would have been my holy grail. I winded up going back to A cones that don't build up.

MedievalCat
August 11th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Your hair looks similar to mine! Is it a pain to detangle?

Reyn127
August 11th, 2019, 10:47 PM
I use the Acure brand Argan Oil & Pumpkin conditioner and will definitely be buying that one again. It doesn’t weigh my hair down but the slip it gives is significant. (I also love the shampoo that goes with it.) Another conditioner is Andalou Naturals Argan Oil & Shea Deep Conditioner. I use that one on the areas of my hair that are the most dry, or very prone to tangling. It’s very effective and also pretty lightweight.

Those two are my favorite out of six conditioners I’ve tried so far after starting to use S/C again.

milosmomma
August 12th, 2019, 12:01 AM

I use my eden bodyworks every wash and my hair loves it. But I also use a watered down sulphate shampoo a few times a month and acv rinses frequently so my hair probably needs the extra moisture. I'd say yes it's okay, the worst case would be your hair gets weighed down.

JennGalt
August 12th, 2019, 04:53 PM

I do this and and I don’t use cones or sulfates. Also I use Live Clean conditioners (either the argan oil one or the superfruit one for curly hair) or Cantu cream conditioner for natural hair. All three are cheap, cone free, protein free, and pretty easy to get in the US or online. I’ve tried the Garnier mask and it doesn’t have enough slip for me to detangle unless I use almost the entire 100 ml tub, but like everything hair care related, ymmv.

Reservechic
August 12th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm. I first heard about it being raved about like crazy on NC.com abd then I started seeing a lot of videos of curlies raving about it on Youtube. It's relatively cheap, and it has excellent slip, is very moisturizing to ones hair, Abdullah leaves my hair very soft. It can be used by anyone who has hair, no matter what type of hair they have, even if ones hair is color treated (either using henna or artifice due), chemically processed, or natural. It is on the perfumey side, but thank God the scent doesn't linger for very long in ones hair. As, I absolutely can't deal with conditioners that do so. And, I now try and avoid them at all costs. I'm a migraine sufferer so, I have to be careful when it comes to scents for sure. It can be ordered online both in the 16 oz. nd liter sizes, as well as bought in-store.

it has a thick consistency, so the do have to shake it a bit to get it out, but hey, it's all good anyways, due to the wonderful way that it works. Now, I have only used this product with heat, as that is what works best for me towards getting maximum penetration of any conditioner as deep down into my hair shaft as possible. Plus, it acts as a way of boosting the benefits of the conditioner to a whole other level than without. The last time I checked, it was being offered buy 2, get 1 free. So, that sale may very well be going on all month long.

Besides using it as a DC, I have seen people use it to co-wash their hair with, and I've even them use this product as a leave in, and there are some that like to use a little bit to this stuff to style their curls with. I'm all about doing whatever one happens to find works best for them always.

It is silicone free, sulfate free, mineral oil free, dye free, and it contains no drying alcohols in it either.

Kalamazoo
August 13th, 2019, 02:15 AM
Howdy! I had the same question, so I started a thread, "Non-Coney Slip for Neolithic Longhairs". I was given excellent advice by the other LHC members. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148584

gin
August 13th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Silk18 by Maple Holistics!

MaGee5
August 13th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I like L’oreal Ever pure volume conditioner. Also find brushing first with nylon/boars head brush before a Wet brush gets a lot of tangles out with a lot less breakage.

S&S
August 13th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Briogeo - Don't Despair Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask

Brileeka
August 13th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Infusium23 conditioner is amazing and I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain silicone. At least I didn't see any when I was looking at the ingredients and it doesn't seem like it does.

Asrai
August 13th, 2019, 05:10 PM
I really love Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Moist conditioner & the Love Beauty & Planet conditioners. Both products are cone-free & I find provide a good amount of slip for my hair.

knobbly
September 13th, 2020, 08:55 PM
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new (or just different) cone-free conditioners they love with great slip!

ExpectoPatronum
September 13th, 2020, 10:31 PM
I really love Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey Intensive Hydration mask. It has great slip as long as your hair is very wet! I'm trying to reduce my plastic waste in the shower but that mask is here to stay.

Amenahh
September 14th, 2020, 04:11 AM
I'm in love with the Strawberry conditioner from The Body Shop. It has good slip on my hair and leaves it silky and shiny.

GordonMurphella
September 14th, 2020, 04:55 AM
Another vote for the Sally's GVP dupe of the original Biolage Balm. Used for over 20 years now. Workhorse, plus which it's got to be one of the rare birds that hasn't had ingredient changes in all this time.

knobbly
September 14th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Another vote for the Sally's GVP dupe of the original Biolage Balm. Used for over 20 years now. Workhorse, plus which it's got to be one of the rare birds that hasn't had ingredient changes in all this time.

I want to try this but I live in a city with no Sally Beauty— I would order online but I’m worried about the scent issue. Can you describe the scent at all? I’ve only seen it called “very perfumey” but that’s could go many ways.

GordonMurphella
September 14th, 2020, 09:26 AM
I want to try this but I live in a city with no Sally Beauty— I would order online but I’m worried about the scent issue. Can you describe the scent at all? I’ve only seen it called “very perfumey” but that’s could go many ways.

It's classic Biolage, the original scent - which I've never been able to describe. Sorry! It's very inoffensive, imo, and I'm ... scents-itive. So to speak.

knobbly
September 14th, 2020, 09:30 AM
That’s okay! I’m pretty sure my mom used to use Biolage when I was a kid and I don’t remember it being too awful. Also I just checked and there is a Sally’s a short bus ride away! Woo hoo! I’m gonna try it.

Ylva
September 14th, 2020, 11:35 AM
I think to remember that the Garnier Respons (... Blends) coconut water & aloe conditioner had good slip.

cestlavie
September 14th, 2020, 12:03 PM
Ecoslay Banana Cream!

abbie95
September 14th, 2020, 02:44 PM
Think its been mentioned but absolutely recommend the Garnier ultimate blends(different name depending where you are) hair food conditioners and deep conditioners , I looooooove the banana ones! Plus they smell lush :)

lapushka
September 15th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Think its been mentioned but absolutely recommend the Garnier ultimate blends(different name depending where you are) hair food conditioners and deep conditioners , I looooooove the banana ones! Plus they smell lush :)

Another "vote" for the Garnier Fructis Hairfood masks (they are by Garnier Fructis in this country). I think in the US they are called "treats".

MusicalSpoons
September 15th, 2020, 06:42 PM
Location-dependent but Garnier Ultimate/Whole Blends Argan and cranberry conditioner (red bottle) to me has similar slip as the hair food/treats but without the glycerin, in case that's a problem.

jane_marie
September 15th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Hello :)

I use Not Your Mother's Tahitian Gardenia and Mango Butter curl defining conditioner most of the time and think the slip is pretty great.

ReadingRenee
September 15th, 2020, 06:58 PM
I think to remember that the Garnier Respons (... Blends) coconut water & aloe conditioner had good slip.

Yes! This conditioner is amazing! I use it to detangle my little girls hair in the shower and it works miracles. One has very thick coarse 2bish hair and the other has 3b hair fine, but a LOT of it. They both have hair past their waists. I am honestly suspicious of it not having cones because it really has so much slip when I use it, it feels like a cone conditioner.

Also another vote for the Sally's Generic of Biolage. That stuff is amazing and somehow lasts forever.

hennalonghair
September 15th, 2020, 08:10 PM
This is exactly how my hair acts with silicones. It seriously dries my hair out.

Yes! This conditioner is amazing! I use it to detangle my little girls hair in the shower and it works miracles. One has very thick coarse 2bish hair and the other has 3b hair fine, but a LOT of it. They both have hair past their waists. I am honestly suspicious of it not having cones because it really has so much slip when I use it, it feels like a cone conditioner.

Will try. Thx:)

KokoroDragon
September 15th, 2020, 09:21 PM
My favorite is Everyone conditioner. I've only tried the volumizing one, but I suspect all of them are similar. Unfortunately, they aren't being made during the pandemic, and my hair is suffering because of it. I'll have to give the Garnier Fructis a try, since it seems so popular!

ReadingRenee
September 16th, 2020, 05:57 PM
This is exactly how my hair acts with silicones. It seriously dries my hair out.

Will try. Thx:)

Hope it works for you! :)

0xalis
September 16th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Garnier Whole Blends "Replenishing Conditioner" "Legendary Olive" is both silicone and protein free, and it is the only conditioner I use now!
I COwash with it, and my hair loves it. My hair is so tangle and flyaway prone, but so much less so now that I stopped using other products.
Every once in a while I have to use dandruff shampoo, and I can't find one without sulfates, but the Whole Blends still keeps my hair so much nicer when I do those washes.
YMMV but that's what works for me :)

sipnsun
September 17th, 2020, 06:18 AM
I like Biolage Conditioning Balm, I have been using it on and off for over 20 years. Sally Beauty Supply has a generic conditioning balm which is great too.

GordonMurphella
September 17th, 2020, 08:29 AM
I like Biolage Conditioning Balm, I have been using it on and off for over 20 years. Sally Beauty Supply has a generic conditioning balm which is great too.

This is what I posted about a page or so ago, but know that the actual Biolage has shifted ingredients a million times over the years. while the Sally's GVP remains true to the original wonderful formula I first used about 25 years ago (in the tub, with the pump, anyone else?).

I'm not rabid about silicone, my hair is pretty easygoing, but I know some do, which I why I mention it. I don't know whether the Biolage has silicone these days, for the record.

sipnsun
September 17th, 2020, 08:08 PM
This is what I posted about a page or so ago, but know that the actual Biolage has shifted ingredients a million times over the years. while the Sally's GVP remains true to the original wonderful formula I first used about 25 years ago (in the tub, with the pump, anyone else?).

I'm not rabid about silicone, my hair is pretty easygoing, but I know some do, which I why I mention it. I don't know whether the Biolage has silicone these days, for the record.

I've heard they have changed their formula but I checked mine and there are no silicones in it. That being said, I bought 6 tubs many years ago from a salon was that closing down and had their products 75% off. I'm almost done with my last tub (like you I love the tub with pump) and I have been hoarding it for deep treatments. If it's changed, I will start using generic only.

Afanen
September 17th, 2020, 11:34 PM
I'm loving Love Beauty and Planet conditioners, they're silicone free but have that "oh wow i'm actually conditioning my hair!" feel

Hexana
September 18th, 2020, 12:48 AM
I'm loving Love Beauty and Planet conditioners, they're silicone free but have that "oh wow i'm actually conditioning my hair!" feel

Hmm, interesting. I am using the blueberry one now and my hair barely gets any conditioning. It's also so watery! I probably won't repurchase.

Which are you using?

MadHouseWitch
September 18th, 2020, 12:48 AM
I used TRESemmé Botanique (rec from another curly forum)... My scalp didn't seem to like it (I though it was the "Itchy M's" but.... read on. I thought it was "okay" (but it works well for MANY people so worth a shot!)

So I tried some Suave Essentials (mine happens to be the Strawberry one but they are pretty much the same) I've only used it once so far (with a new leave in... so not sure "who" to blame)
I like the Suave more. I thought I tried it before and was unimpressed, but I think it was the V05. V05 is anther many have luck with (again the super cheap stuff)
I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ to figure out what worked for me so Suave was the "compromise"

I've also had luck with some of the Loreal EverCreme/pure/whatever BUT I'm not certain those are silicone free.... I know they are sulfate free but... I wasn't using those being more "aware"

MadHouseWitch
September 18th, 2020, 12:50 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Afanen https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3817502#post3817502)

Hmm, interesting. I am using the blueberry one now and my hair barely gets any conditioning. It's also so watery! I probably won't repurchase.

I got... IDK what once a sea salt something one.... I agree, it was... lacking, we didn't get more either! No one here really liked and I have 7 people here LOL

ETA : quote to clarify, it's late and I can't brain!

ETAhttps://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Afanen https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3817502#post3817502)

lerryn
September 18th, 2020, 07:18 AM
Shea Moisture has wonderful conditioners even if they're a bit pricey! I've used the raw shea butter one, and also the manuka honey and mafura oil one, which was my absolute favourite. Not Your Mother's Naturals has good options too, and they're way less expensive than Shea Moisture! Their bottles are colour coded so (if I'm remembering correctly), the pink and yellow lines are their 'heaviest' formulas for thicker hair, the green and light blue are for middle-ground hair, and the red and dark blue are for finer hair. I have quite fine hair and I used their light blue conditioner (coconut milk and African marula tree oil, if I'm right), and it didn't weigh my hair down at all and also gave some really good slip. Also, haven't tried it for myself, but I've heard really wonderful things about the Noughty hair care line, if you can get it where you live :) all of these brands are cruelty free as well, if that's important to you! I hope this helps :o