PDA

View Full Version : Fancy and sturdy bun for wedding?

Cinnamonagouti
August 9th, 2019, 07:15 AM
I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and I don't know what to do with my hair. I usually do some sort of braided updo, which I like, but I'm not sure I will have time for that this tiime. So I'm looking for an elegant but easy bun/updo (it may be braided if it's quick). Either a stick bun that would work with a flexi, or a pinned bun that I could decorate with fancy u-pins. I might just do a LWB as I actually really like how it looks (and a flexi or a pretty fork will make it more festive), but I figured I'd look for other alternatives to take the opportunity to learn some new style! :) Any suggestions?

lapushka
August 9th, 2019, 07:50 AM
A Nautilus? I actually find it a lot easier to do than a LWB.

Cinnamonagouti
August 9th, 2019, 08:00 AM
A Nautilus? I actually find it a lot easier to do than a LWB.

Maybe! I already know how to do it but haven't worn it a lot. When I got home today my OTHM red three-pronger had arrived so, I'm really excited to try it! I think it will look better with a vertically held bun, so the nautilus might work for that :)

MamaLou
August 9th, 2019, 08:01 AM
the second hairstyle would work for a wedding (i've done this hairstyle a few times and it was very easy and comfortable and secure) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJY3ZybcpoM

cjk
August 9th, 2019, 08:03 AM
A thought.

I always find that too much can be offputting. Most clothing appropriate for a wedding is fancy, itself. A fancy hairdo may be too much.

Consider keeping it simple?

lapushka
August 9th, 2019, 08:20 AM
A thought.

I always find that too much can be offputting. Most clothing appropriate for a wedding is fancy, itself. A fancy hairdo may be too much.

Consider keeping it simple?

But that's exactly what she asked for, cjk. ;)

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Celtic Knot, Spider Mom's, flipped Cinnamon. . .

Anything made from a rope or fishtail braid.

MusicalSpoons
August 9th, 2019, 08:34 AM
A braided cinnamon bun is my go-to for fancy but relatively simple. It looks much more intricate than it really is and can be held however you'd normally hold a cinnamon bun.

Actually a plain cinnabun held with spin pins also counts as a bit fancy, for me, but that might just be because it takes more than one item to hold it :lol: (my usual requirement for a style is one - no hairties or pins, just a single stick/fork/flexi/whatever)

But equally, an ordinary bun held with a nice hairtoy to coordinate with your outfit would work too, such a LWB/nautilus/etc. already mentioned :)

cjk
August 9th, 2019, 08:35 AM
But that's exactly what she asked for, cjk. ;)

"Fancy and study..."

MusicalSpoons
August 9th, 2019, 08:43 AM
So I'm looking for an elegant but easy bun/updo (it may be braided if it's quick).

From the OP, cjk :)

EDIT: it's just occurred to me you may have meant visibly simple, not our idea of simple (i.e. simple to do but looks fancy) - sorry! :oops:

lapushka
August 9th, 2019, 09:29 AM
From the OP, cjk :)

Yes the message says more than the title. ;)

MusicalSpoons
August 9th, 2019, 10:59 AM
[^ see edit of my previous post]

Cinnamonagouti
August 9th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! Fancy was perhaps not the word I was looking for, I rather meant elegant as in 'neat and pretty but not too intricate-looking'. Also I feel like you shouldn't try to 'out-do' the bride. But I need it to be in an updo that holds well (hence that I usually have a braided updo, like a cinnabun but two braids), alternatively one that's easy to redo if it becomes sloppy (like a stick bun). And, I don't wear any make up att all and almost never jewelery (I have one simple silver bracelet and a necklace, but haven't decided yet if I'll wear them tomorrow). So my
hair is kind of how I dress myself up :)

MusicalSpoons, I totally get what you mean by a pinned cinnabun being fancy - I wear an English braid or an LWB 98% of the days.

cjk
August 9th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Well I'm following this thread with interest. It's relevant to me, too...a friend just announced his engagement.

I've got no ideas about current wedding styles.

Kalamazoo
August 9th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Maybe a crown braid?

EleriMc
August 10th, 2019, 03:51 AM
When I need a super quick and long holding updo, I go straight for what I call a twisted knot bun secured with a two prong wooden fork. I form that bun in the morning and I don't need to do anything until I pull the fork out when I'm getting ready for sleep. I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I just started messing around a few years ago and found this works very well for me.

I twist clockwise and use the right hand to make the knot. Gather all hair into a ponytail at the height you want the bun to finish, then start twisting to create a single rope. Do not let the hair double back on itself or create a pocket along the scalp. Once the rope twist is long enough to knot (for me usually as far behind my head as I can comfortably reach), form the knot much like the video for the Everyday Bun, except pull the tail all the way through to form a full knot. Snug it up close to the head then continue to twist and wrap the tail clockwise around the base of the knot. Don't let the knot untwist while wrapping the tail. Use the fork to secure the knot, ensuring the tines go through the knot on both sides and beneath the interior twist.

I find this bun to be sleek, elegant and has an interesting look when completed. It also takes about thirty seconds, which is a huge plus when in a hurry.

Good luck and let us know what you chose!

Gothic Lolita
August 10th, 2019, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure whether you will see this in time, but I've worn a version of the rose-bun to two weddings. It holds like a rock with a few u-pins/scross, isn't hard to do and looks nice. One of the weddings had a lot of dancing and I didn't have to adjust anything and I have slippery hair.
The version makes two rope-braids, one placed slightly on the side of the back of your head to create a larger section, which will be the "base bun". The second rope-braid is arranged around the first braid. Here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i2MAYa96Gc) a video by Lilith Moon doing this hairstyle, she has ~BSL hair in the video and slightly curled it, but I've worn this style with tailbone length and didn't curl at all. Her style is rather loosely braided, but you can adapt that to your liking, which would also make the bun more sturdy than her's.