PDA

View Full Version : Styles for Horseback Riding?

Jumper
August 8th, 2019, 11:57 PM
Hi! I'm back after a way long hiatus (it's been 3 years since I last posted, which is my bad - I got into vet school and life got crazy). I did a quick search and the only thread I found like this was from ten years ago so I thought it might be OK to have this discussion again. If I'm wrong then feel free to direct me to the right thread.

Anyway, before the end of spring semester my hair got to classic, where I was sitting on it if I wore it down in the classroom (no biggie), but then it got to the point where I was also sitting on the end of my braid when I rode my horse. So at the end of May I had six inches taken off (sad but kind of necessary after all the damage done to the ends from riding, and slightly higher up from being lazy and wearing it down in class). Wearing a helmet to ride is non-negotiable - while I don't ride too seriously anymore (I just hop on and do a little flatwork) it's still a safety concern and I really like my brain the way it is :lol:

So, what do other riders do once their braided hair gets to this length? I really don't want to end up doing a big trim again every time I hit just-past-classic. The only thing I can think of is folding the braid up and wrapping a hairtie around it which doesn't sound like the gentlest idea but it would stop me from sitting on it.

Kalamazoo
August 9th, 2019, 12:36 AM
Maybe some kind of ballerina bun?

Or maybe this YouTube video called "How to Create a Chain Link Braid | Sport Hairstyles" by Cute Girls Hairstyles ?

Or for a different explanation of the same, "Torrin Classic Series: Rope/Hawser/Cable" by torrinpaige ?

MamaLou
August 9th, 2019, 03:25 AM
I've seen a very simple braid before on this forum I think that shortened the hair a lot! I'll let you know when i've found it.

edit: I've found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Hq3XIHFzw It's a video from gossamer

Entangled
August 9th, 2019, 03:51 AM
You could do a loop braid; I have no tutorial for it but it’s pretty simple. Fold your braid higher than the halfway point from the base of the braid. Wrap the extra length around the base. Secure with mini claw clips!

Simsy
August 9th, 2019, 04:00 AM
Back when I was wearing hard hats a lot; I used a pair of Heidi braids pinned or sewn in place. Held remarkably well, and I could reduce the size of the braids by making more pairs. I have done this with 6 English braids wrapped around one pair at a time.

eresh
August 9th, 2019, 04:57 AM
I wear my hair like this when riding:

https://i.imgur.com/OZO74T3l.jpg

Double up my braid (braid low on your head, so the helmet fits well over it)
Then wrap several elastics (I made mine from cutting "rings" off pantyhose) like you would do with a segmented ponytail.
Keeps it all secure and confined :o

Sarahlabyrinth
August 9th, 2019, 07:42 AM
That's a great idea, eresh!

Cinnamonagouti
August 9th, 2019, 08:02 AM
You could do a loop braid; I have no tutorial for it but it’s pretty simple. Fold your braid higher than the halfway point from the base of the braid. Wrap the extra length around the base. Secure with mini claw clips!

I second this! Haven't tried it while riding as my hair have never been that long, but that was my first thought, too.

lithostoic
August 10th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Fold the braid! Or do a crochet braid. I'm so close to doing a crochet braid that looks good lol.