PDA

View Full Version : When Is Shedding Season?

Knightly
August 8th, 2019, 09:43 PM
I've noticed my hair is falling SO much more these last couple weeks so I was wondering if it's due to shedding season right now? I can't help but freak out a bit about it shedding. I'd also like to know how many times per year hair naturally sheds and when, that'd help keeping myself less concerned about my hair falling out as it is a natural thing haha lol

Kalamazoo
August 8th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Wow! I didn't know that we humans had shedding seasons. (But it makes sense. If the other animals do, why not?)

So I :google: d "human hair shedding season". The first 2 pages to pop up were http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml & https://nutrafol.com/blog/seasonal-hair-shedding-explained-by-3-experts/

Now that I'm an expert (having read all of 2 pages on the web! :bow: I can confidantly assure you, you have nothing to fear. :knit:

Kalamazoo
August 8th, 2019, 11:52 PM
I wonder if the shedding season dates have to be read backwards if you're south of the Equator...

macyann
August 9th, 2019, 12:13 AM
I just had to google this. I read that in july/august humans can shed more, but I also read that about once every 100 days humans shed as part of their hair cycle. I had to click on this thread because I've had the same problem this week, although I might be able to blame it on traveling a lot... I'm not sure if travel can cause shedding.... back to google I guess

Kalamazoo
August 9th, 2019, 12:24 AM
Travelling, especially by air, can alter the number of daylight hours/day, hence jetlag. It's particularly noticeable travelling East-West; but even travelling North-South ... Well, I like looking at www.SunriseSunset.com . Check out today's sunrise & sunset times for wherever you are, & then look at the same data for a place 1,000 miles north of you, and another place 1,000 miles south. It was surprising to me when I first saw that.

czech it out
August 9th, 2019, 05:25 AM
For me, it’s the transition from summer into fall. I shed more, and my scalp gets testy also!

FennFire911
August 9th, 2019, 05:45 AM
According to my scalp, now lol
I’ve been shedding more than typical this past week. Nothing alarming, it should slow back down in a few more weeks.

lapushka
August 9th, 2019, 06:02 AM
For me it's "normally" spring and fall. Or when it gets around to fall-time or spring-time.

If you notice shedding is up and you haven't changed your routine, chalk it up to that!

blackgothicdoll
August 9th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Apparently summer, I've been shedding insanely.

cestlavie
August 9th, 2019, 06:52 AM
My hair sheds more during summer. Especially August/September

lapushka
August 9th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Oddly enough last couple years (ever since the tick bite & Lyme disease) I seem to no longer get these fluctuations in my shedding cycle. I just sometimes lose less and other times more during a wash. It is sooo odd!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
August 9th, 2019, 10:25 AM
My hair tends to shed towards the end of summer into early autumn. My scalp also tends to get a bit iffy.

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:06 AM
This (summer) is definitely my shedding season. It also seems like my hair grows faster in the summer, so at least there is that. I'm not sure what the scientific reason is. I have always lived in hot climates (and still do) and summer is VERY hot so maybe that has something to do with it.

LoveSnap
August 9th, 2019, 07:49 PM
I live in Florida and our seasons are like Spring-Summer-Spring-Spring/Winter so I really only notice a once a year heavy shed around July/August. I may have to pay more attention to see if I get the other mentioned here.

AutobotsAttack
August 10th, 2019, 12:08 AM
March/April is my early year shedding. I tend to see the most shedding during that time.
October/November when it gets cold is also when I see more shedding during the later seasons.

Xlena
August 10th, 2019, 12:52 AM
I think August/September. My boyfriend is shedding a lot now, but I do during the beginning of September :)

Knightly
August 10th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I feel a lot more relieved after reading most of you shed in summer/fall or August/ September. It makes so much more sense now. I gotta keep this in mind next year so I don't freak out again LOL!

lapushka
August 10th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I feel a lot more relieved after reading most of you shed in summer/fall or August/ September. It makes so much more sense now. I gotta keep this in mind next year so I don't freak out again LOL!

Just remember it can come and go and last about a month'ish even and sometimes longer. If it lasts and you notice even *more* coming out, I'd consult with your physician, but as of right now, it's just normal IMMHO!

TheLuckyLurker
August 10th, 2019, 07:27 PM
I hope this is what's happening to me these past few weeks; this is the worst my shedding has ever been!

milosmomma
August 10th, 2019, 11:28 PM
This is interesting, I'm not sure which season I shed the most. I hadn't paid much attention before and just went through pregnancy where I barely shed at all and then a long post partum shed. It will be in the back of my mind now.

Ligeia Noire
August 11th, 2019, 12:40 AM
Definitely Autumn... i would say my hair is at its maximum thickness in Spring and lowest around September October... just like trees...

Natalia_A00
August 11th, 2019, 11:55 AM
They say it's spring or summer... But I notice I shed a lot all year lol

daisy rei
August 12th, 2019, 12:32 AM
This is craziness for me, but I’ve definitely noticed an increase in shedding over the past couple of weeks.

spidermom
August 12th, 2019, 06:35 AM
For me, it seems to come right at the cusp of summer ending and autumn beginning.

hinabelle
August 13th, 2019, 11:48 AM
I've been documenting how much hair I lose for the past 3 months, and intend to do so for at least a year.
I think I was shedding at the beginning of my recording, which is why I started. So probably spring shed for me at minimum.

MaGee5
August 13th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Oh my gosh!! I’ve noticed extra shedding this past week too! Never would have guessed it could be a common experience. I’ve also been tweaking my supplement routine lately so that’s what my main suspicion has been.

S&S
August 13th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Past few years I have noticed that I generally shed June - Aug.

Although, this year it has been more of a May-current :mad:

PillowBook
August 13th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Shedding season is 24/7 for me-- I always shed a lot and it's consistent thru the year :mad:

Kalamazoo
August 13th, 2019, 05:02 PM
I wonder if it's related to temperature or temperature changes, as well as length of daylight hours? I mean, is this an unusually warm summer where you are?

Tinyponies
July 28th, 2020, 02:00 AM
Been aware of increased shedding for around a fortnight. I’m sure now that I’m shedding significantly more than “usual”.

This will be the third “summer shed” observed since paying more attention to my hair and it’s quirks, if “summer shedding” is a thing for me. It’s the end of July in UK and summer is still here but whispers can be heard on the wind about the coming of autumn.