PDA

View Full Version : Help with hair mask ingredients

NeonPink
August 8th, 2019, 05:22 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I've been trying to decide for a while now on a new hair mask to buy, and I can't decide due to the ingredients in two of them. One of them has "mil protein" but I think it's a typo and it's supposed to be milk protein as I can't find anything about that... Thing is my hair is a bit sensitive to protein I think, since when I use coconut oil it gets crunchy, but I already looked on the forums and milk protein doesn't show up in the ingredients to look for when searching for protein. So my question is will milk protein be bad for hair that is protein sensitive? Or is it a different kind that doesn't affect it?

The other ingredient I was wondering about is retinol, more specifically Retinyl Acetate. Now I only know about this ingredient when it comes to skincare, it's a form of vitamin A, and I know that tretinoin, also a form of vitamin A, can cause hair loss (though I do use tretinoin cream and had no issues), so I was wondering if anyone knows if there would be any issues in using this in hair care? I know I'm talking about hair masks but some always ends up on my scalp anyway so I'm worried about it absorbing and causing issues.

In case anyone is wondering the hair masks are from Real Natura, don't know what the names are in english as it's a portuguese brand.

Thanks in advance!

MusicalSpoons
August 8th, 2019, 03:41 PM
My hair got all crunchy and hated straight coconut oil, but actually rather likes moderate amounts of protein. It depends whether it's cheap enough that you're willing to take the chance :)

(I don't know about retinyl acetate, sorry.)

NeonPink
August 8th, 2019, 05:43 PM
My hair got all crunchy and hated straight coconut oil, but actually rather likes moderate amounts of protein. It depends whether it's cheap enough that you're willing to take the chance :)

(I don't know about retinyl acetate, sorry.)

Thank you so much for replying!
I guess maybe my hair might be the same since it was fine before with gelatin? I'm not really sure.. and it's not expensive but its 1 kilo of hair mask so if I don't like it I'm worried it will go to waste

milosmomma
August 8th, 2019, 07:24 PM
My hair reacts the same with coconut oil but does benefit from protein if it is small amounts and infrequently. I would say give the mask a shot and just see how your hair feels. Hair likes what it likes and you never know until you try :) Experimenting can be one of the best part about taking care of your hair.

NeonPink
August 9th, 2019, 03:42 PM
My hair reacts the same with coconut oil but does benefit from protein if it is small amounts and infrequently. I would say give the mask a shot and just see how your hair feels. Hair likes what it likes and you never know until you try :) Experimenting can be one of the best part about taking care of your hair.

You're right, experimenting is the fun part really, but for the past couple of months all my experiments have gone a bit wrong :(
But since it seems like coconut oil has a different effect than protein I'll give the hair mask a try

AutobotsAttack
August 9th, 2019, 11:37 PM
Retinol actually helps aid hair growth in conjunction with minoxidil, if a consumer uses both of them.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3771854/

There are some cases where certain retinoids can cause scalp irritation which can lead to increased shedding, but you also have to keep in mind that diet, age, exercise or lacktherof, illnesses, other medications and their side effects, and the concentration being used.

If it’s in your hair mask I doubt the concentration is even high enough compared to the percentage used in that study, or in reports of adverse affects.

As far as milk protein again, concentration of the ingredient is key in determining if a product or protein is going to be beneficial for you. Protein sensitivity really only exists concerning how much you as the individual uses, along with any other products you typically use that also contain protein. The frequency at which you apply protein to your hair is also important.

I’d suggest diluting the milk protein first, and then going from there according to how your hair feels.