PDA

View Full Version : Goody Boar Bristle Brush quality?

starrycosmonaut
August 7th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Hey guys!!!!!! I've been trying to do subtle things to make my hair better, and I recently bought a five dollar "100% boar bristle" brush from Wal-Mart from the 'Goody' brand of brushes. I'm worried though that a cheaper brush might cause split ends? Has anybody else had this brand of brush? The bristles are kind of soft and short to be honest but my hair is still at my neck so the length of them isn't a problem! I've never had a BBB before and I'm just not sure if I should invest in a better, more expensive brand and what ones you guys suggest! Thank you!!!

Groovy Granny
August 7th, 2019, 05:29 PM
I started with that brand ....and Conair...both from Walmart....with no damage to my fine/wispy silver.
Later when I wanted a bit move penetration by the bristles to my hair, I bought a Vented BBB Wet Brush and use it religiously twice a day.
Because my hair is so fine and wispy, it does a great job distributing the little natural oils I have....or the Biosilk Serum I apply to my ends.

BBBs tend to just polish the top hairs, but you can get more coverage of oils to the deeper hairs if you don't mind using a mix of nylon bristles with the BBBs.
I have had no damage/splits etc....and because the BBBs carry the oils to other areas there is no static.

I have been happy with and still use both brands....which are now 6 years old and still in great condition.

YYMV ;)

Silica
August 7th, 2019, 10:00 PM
I've never used the Goody brand so I can't compare quality, but I have used and loved Kent brushes for years:

https://kentbrushes.com/

It's a UK company but they do ship worldwide. They're pricey but top quality and a real treat to own and use.

BBBs aren't for everyone so maybe see if you like the one you have first and then invest in a high quality one if it works out for you?

CherryFrizz
August 7th, 2019, 10:16 PM
I had a Goody BBB for years and liked it, even though I'm mostly a comb user.

I lost the brush to another long-haired family member, who liked it so much, I let her keep it!

starrycosmonaut
August 8th, 2019, 01:31 PM
I started with that brand ....and Conair...both from Walmart....with no damage to my fine/wispy silver.
Later when I wanted a bit move penetration by the bristles to my hair, I bought a Vented BBB Wet Brush and use it religiously twice a day.
Because my hair is so fine and wispy, it does a great job distributing the little natural oils I have....or the Biosilk Serum I apply to my ends.

BBBs tend to just polish the top hairs, but you can get more coverage of oils to the deeper hairs if you don't mind using a mix of nylon bristles with the BBBs.
I have had no damage/splits etc....and because the BBBs carry the oils to other areas there is no static.

I have been happy with and still use both brands....which are now 6 years old and still in great condition.

YYMV ;)

Thank you!! That's really good to know! I get nervous about causing breakage to my hair but if you have had such luck with these brushes then I'll continue to try them out~!!

starrycosmonaut
August 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM
I've never used the Goody brand so I can't compare quality, but I have used and loved Kent brushes for years:

https://kentbrushes.com/

It's a UK company but they do ship worldwide. They're pricey but top quality and a real treat to own and use.

BBBs aren't for everyone so maybe see if you like the one you have first and then invest in a high quality one if it works out for you?

I think it's a great idea to try this one out before opting for a more expensive one~! Thank you! I've never heard of Kent brushes before and they seem very high quality!

Dung Beetle
August 8th, 2019, 01:45 PM
I have that Goody brush too and have thought about asking this question many times. :)

I didn't like it at first because I wasn't used to using any kind of BBB. I'm good with it now but often wonder if I should upgrade. I'll put it on my wish list for Christmas when nobody knows what to get me!

starrycosmonaut
August 9th, 2019, 12:37 PM
In your guys' opinion, should I wait to brush my hair with a BBB until my hair grows out longer? It's still fairly short at this point, around my neck!

Silica
August 9th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Mine is really short too - too short to measure but its at the awkward mullet stage from growing out a pixie with no trims for 4 months. I use my BBBs at least twice a day. I just love the way it feels on my scalp and smooths out my hair. I didn't use them while my hair was really short but that's mainly because I was using waxy styling pomades and didn't want to wreck my precious brushes. Lol- I missed them though! As soon as I quit the styling goop I dug out my old brushes with glee

starrycosmonaut
August 9th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Mine is really short too - too short to measure but its at the awkward mullet stage from growing out a pixie with no trims for 4 months. I use my BBBs at least twice a day. I just love the way it feels on my scalp and smooths out my hair. I didn't use them while my hair was really short but that's mainly because I was using waxy styling pomades and didn't want to wreck my precious brushes. Lol- I missed them though! As soon as I quit the styling goop I dug out my old brushes with glee

Awesome~!! Thank you for sharing your story and I'm glad I can use these at any length~! I guess the only thing I have to worry about is not over-brushing my hair owo