PDA

View Full Version : This connection is not private

Entangled
August 5th, 2019, 07:23 PM
When trying to access the site, I get this message. What’s going on?
https://i.imgur.com/c4T3h2C.png

neko_kawaii
August 5th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Anyone else experiencing this?

Apparently there can be innocuous explanations for it. Check out this article and the user solutions: https://whatsabyte.com/featured/your-connection-is-not-private/

Sarahlabyrinth
August 5th, 2019, 10:19 PM
No, I'm not getting this message, hope you can get it sorted out.

Brethil
August 6th, 2019, 07:04 AM
I don't get that message. However, every time I search something, I get a message that says, " Security Warning The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an unsecured connection and may be seen by a third party. Are you sure you want to continue?" I always say yes, because it's always something like 'catnip rinse' with no private information.

I did get the connection not secure message a lot on a different computer for a lot of sites. Turns out, it was because the clock on my computer was wrong, so my computer was getting wigged out about being sent Messages From The Future (or Past). Real easy fix.

lapushka
August 6th, 2019, 08:11 AM
I don't get that message either; I am not on a phone, though!

Shorty89
August 6th, 2019, 09:59 AM
When trying to access the site, I get this message. What’s going on?
https://i.imgur.com/c4T3h2C.png

Are you using a public internet connection? I've gotten that message before when the internet has restrictions on it (aka restricts access to non-work etc sites).

Kat-Rinnè Naido
August 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM
I have been getting this message a while now from around June, even this week. However last week was fine.

Edit: I'm on my phone.

dyna
August 6th, 2019, 09:41 PM
If you (or your browser) is not using ssl (https) you might get that message. (SSL or HTTPS prevents evesdropping from computers between your computer and the one you are connecting with, in this case LHC.) You might also get such a message if LHC's security certificate expires and they haven't renewed it yet. Or, you might get that message, because someone else is impersonating LHC, perhaps to evesdrop as you tell your deepest secrets. Probably nobody is going to do the latter intentionally (the bad guys don't really care if you rinse with coconut water), but it could happen accidentally, like if they're evesdropping on everything you do (maybe waiting for you to log into your bank, or divulge what a bad toupee the US President has).

Entangled
August 7th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try them.

eresh
August 10th, 2019, 06:35 AM
I don't get this on my phone, but on my laptop.

Still the same issue as described before in another thread.
When clicking in gmail on threadsubsriptionlinks to LHC I get the "Suspicious link" warning again.
It was away for a few weeks, but started to appear again as of yesterday.

Entangled
August 16th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thank you for the responses! I think it had to do with the wifi network I was on and I haven’t had a problem since checking some things out.

dyna
August 16th, 2019, 10:06 PM
If you're posting here, it's not "private". And on the Internet, you have to assume that everything goes into your "permanent record", unless you have taken fairly extreme steps to prevent it.

lapushka
August 17th, 2019, 10:36 AM
If you're posting here, it's not "private". And on the Internet, you have to assume that everything goes into your "permanent record", unless you have taken fairly extreme steps to prevent it.

Yes in general, but that's not the issue here. The issue here is that some people are getting notices which makes it probably harder to access the site!

blackgothicdoll
August 17th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Hmm. I get the little i and the certificate is signed by my break & inspect IDS (BitDefender). It re-signs the certificate. If I go onto my phone, it has the lock and the original certificate. Both are trusted, either way so it can't be the certificate that's the issue. I can't figure out myself why I get the little i on my computer, though (not fully secure). It's driving me nuts. I don't get any errors, though. I'm thinking it's something to do with my antivirus since my phone is happy.

As a note, that certificate expires soon (September 5th).

Entangled
August 17th, 2019, 08:29 PM

I know that what’s posted here is visible to the internet and leaves a record; the problem is that my phone will not allow me to access the site once this notice pops up.

Crystawni
August 17th, 2019, 09:02 PM
This is what I'm getting on Chrome on my desktop:

https://i.imgur.com/WGVPfZL.jpg

When expanded, the addy starts with https, but is not showing the padlock icon in place of the "i" that's for secure sites, while also not showing as "i" Not secure (like I get for LHN for example), either.

Groovy Granny
August 17th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I just looked and noticed the i :hmm:..I am not sure how long it has been like that.... I use chrome on my laptop.

I do recall seeing that notice flash on my screen some time ago...not sure for what site, and I must have disabled the notifications (quite possibly knowing it was this one) :p

It does say the site certificate is valid, and I do notice that the LOCK symbol comes up as I change pages and then switches to i when the page is fully loaded.

My only real concern was 'donating' as I use ad block, but I just checked and that goes to a secure paypal site.

So I think I am good I as I don't share personal info...address, full name etc. :shrug:

If I hadn't bothered to actually look at the addy I wouldn't have noticed it :lol:

The other security is that I have Norton Safe Web and they have access to this site and there are no threats :thumbsup:

enting
August 18th, 2019, 02:20 PM
I've had the "i" rather than the padlock icon since... forever? I figure the site is sort of secure but not updated as far as security so it's not *fully* secure. Sensitive information/numbers should probably be sent over email and not messaging on LHC. Otherwise it's probably not really a safety issue.

i'm not sure what can be done for people who can't access the site though :/
That's weird that it comes up as a different level of secure on different types of devices.