PDA

View Full Version : HELP.... hair flipping out at ends?

macyann
August 5th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm having kind of a bad self esteem day about my hair, as I took a picture today and noticed that the ends of it flip out making it look rather unhealthy/uncared for. My hair is bout shoulder length, a little past that maybe, and ive read that this can be due to the fact that it rubs on my shoulders. Has anyone had this experience who knows how to stop it? How long will it last? Thanks for any replies.

MusicalSpoons
August 5th, 2019, 04:58 PM
It may be a sign of hitherto undiscovered waves ;) have you had hair longer than this in the past? Did it do something similar, that you know of? Often people think their hair is frizzy and unruly when actually it just needs more moisture to show its true texture :)

Groovy Granny
August 5th, 2019, 05:30 PM
It may be a sign of hitherto undiscovered waves ;) have you had hair longer than this in the past? Did it do something similar, that you know of? Often people think their hair is frizzy and unruly when actually it just needs more moisture to show its true texture :)

I agree :thumbsup:

Curl creme, texture cream, serum....whatever your hair likes.... then scrunch to encourage your natural wurl pattern.
As it gets longer it will get easier; when I don't scrunch.....just having it in a bun or twist for 30-60 minutes does the trick.

Good luck and happy growing :cheer:

PillowBook
August 5th, 2019, 05:34 PM
I have ends that flip up sort of like a 60's hair do :rolling:

My hair is shoulder length like yours, but when it's longer the ends straighten out. So while I wait for my hair to grow, I blow dry my ends straight with a round brush and oil my ends with jojoba oil (Tauer Wowila Body Oil-- smells like the most heavenly vanilla, get it on luckyscent). Keeps everything sleek and straight :bounce:

macyann
August 5th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Yes... actually, last time I grew it out long it started to curl a bit in loose curls. I forgot about that. Hopefully this time I’ll have the patience to let it grow long enough that I can see how it turns out. I’m using moisture shampoo, oil treatments, and coconut milk/honey rn but I’m sure that the ends are still looking dry! I recently discovered i have low porosity hair and I’m just not sure how to deal with that yet.

macyann
August 5th, 2019, 10:30 PM
I have ends that flip up sort of like a 60's hair do :rolling:

My hair is shoulder length like yours, but when it's longer the ends straighten out. So while I wait for my hair to grow, I blow dry my ends straight with a round brush and oil my ends with jojoba oil (Tauer Wowila Body Oil-- smells like the most heavenly vanilla, get it on luckyscent). Keeps everything sleek and straight :bounce:
I’ll have to check that out! Having trouble finding oils locally, so online suggestions are always appreciated

maborosi
August 5th, 2019, 10:30 PM
This is pretty common. My hair does this at short- like above-shoulder-length. I think my hair wishes it were wavy, but by the time it gets longer, it's pretty straight, lol

Estrid
August 5th, 2019, 11:39 PM
My hair always did that when it approached shoulder length, and it always lasted till it was maybe 2-3 inches below the shoulders. I didn't like it one bit, definitely an awkward length, but it will pass!
To avoid it I usually braided my hair when it was 80-90% dry after washing it, and kept it braided for at least a few hours (or till dry), because then the hair would keep that shape instead.

Six Seeds
August 5th, 2019, 11:59 PM
Most of my hair is doing this quite aggressively at around armpit length. I guess it probably was at shoulder length, too. :) I'll join the chorus of voices in saying that it's your wave/curl pattern saying hello and it will change as your hair gets longer. Happy growing!

Knightly
August 6th, 2019, 12:05 AM
My hair did that thing at shoulder/below shoulder length, and it still kinda does. All I could do was grab a round brush and blowdry it inwards (not recommended if you don't want heat damage), I just waited until it grew out of that stage :/
I was thinking maybe you could do some heatless overnight curls? That way you'll get it completely wavy and hopefully it wont flip ??

macyann
August 6th, 2019, 02:36 PM
My hair did that thing at shoulder/below shoulder length, and it still kinda does. All I could do was grab a round brush and browdry it inwards (not recommended if you don't want heat damage), I just waited until it grew out of that stage :/
I was thinking maybe you could do some heatless overnight curls? That way you'll get it completely wavy and hopefully it wont flip ??

How long is your hair now?

MamaLou
August 8th, 2019, 12:31 AM
I used to have this when I had shoulder length hair years ago!! I was so insecure about it. If I would have shoulder length hair now than I would probably just fix it with a round brush and a blowdryer. I rather have good looking hair with a little bit of damage than hair that makes me feel so insecure. Another thing you can do is trying to wear you hair up in dutch pigtail braids. I love this hairstyle but you do have to be into it to pull it off.

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:15 AM
My hair is also in the flippy stage. It happens when I get to that neck to shoulder length. I tried CG method, thinking it might be secretly curly, but it was just a little wavy and flippy. What I do:
Buff headbands, also known has Boho bandeaus I think? It's like a soft cloth tube. I can twist my hair up in these and either wear the front in a swoop bang or pull it back and it looks cute. I get a bunch from amazon and it keeps it all neat.
Little side braids that join in the back. It's kind of a messy/cute look I think.
Embracing it and dressing a little mod to go with the flip.

Usually as soon as the hair gets past

PallasAthena
August 9th, 2019, 11:16 AM
continued..

past shoulder it looks okay. This is the phase I always end up giving up and cutting it off, so I'm really trying to push through!

Does anyone else get logged out in the middle of writing replys, btw?

macyann
August 9th, 2019, 11:36 PM
My hair is also in the flippy stage. It happens when I get to that neck to shoulder length. I tried CG method, thinking it might be secretly curly, but it was just a little wavy and flippy. What I do:
Buff headbands, also known has Boho bandeaus I think? It's like a soft cloth tube. I can twist my hair up in these and either wear the front in a swoop bang or pull it back and it looks cute. I get a bunch from amazon and it keeps it all neat.
Little side braids that join in the back. It's kind of a messy/cute look I think.
Embracing it and dressing a little mod to go with the flip.

Usually as soon as the hair gets past

I do braid my hair like that a lot, and I've never heard of those headbands so I'll have to look into it. Thanks! I'm really glad to hear that it's common for this to happen at shoulder length. This too shall pass :)

sillyme
August 14th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm having kind of a bad self esteem day about my hair, as I took a picture today and noticed that the ends of it flip out making it look rather unhealthy/uncared for. My hair is bout shoulder length, a little past that maybe, and ive read that this can be due to the fact that it rubs on my shoulders. Has anyone had this experience who knows how to stop it? How long will it last? Thanks for any replies.

We have similar hair types and mine does the same thing at shoulder length. Even blow drying with a round brush or turning the ends under with a curling iron is only a temporary fix because after an hour or so those ends flip right back up. I don't think it is hidden waves with my hair. I think it's the ends of the hair laying on my shoulder giving it that curve shape.

However, to give you a little hope, since the length of my hair is now collarbone length, it is curling up less. and if I can ever grow out all the aggravating layers, I think the flip will all be in my past! :)

milosmomma
August 14th, 2019, 06:39 PM
This happened to me around the shoulder stage as well. I second the double dutch or french braids they look great on everyone. And if you cant get them neat enough to feel comfortable going out in them, you can sleep with them and then wear the braid waves down. I would scrunch my hair at that length, I have some waviness but it didnt really start to flourish until about apl. Even now at waist, my waves usually start about ear length so that probably contributes to the flippy stage. Double buns are also extremely flattering on pretty much everybody (I havent even seen them look bad honestly) and the bunwaves from them might be wearable as well.

Simsy
August 15th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Yes... actually, last time I grew it out long it started to curl a bit in loose curls. I forgot about that. Hopefully this time I’ll have the patience to let it grow long enough that I can see how it turns out. I’m using moisture shampoo, oil treatments, and coconut milk/honey rn but I’m sure that the ends are still looking dry! I recently discovered i have low porosity hair and I’m just not sure how to deal with that yet.

I had a similar problem when I started trying to get my curls to do something besides frizz. I would soak my hair, shampoo and rinse as normal, smother it in conditioner or the moisture treatment of choice; then shove that mess up into a bun and ignore it for 10-30 mins. Rinse out and repeat with conditioner for another 10 mins or so. Only took 2-3 washes to get my hair to finally start looking like curls; but my hair needed the extra time to just soak in palmfuls of conditioner.

MaGee5
August 15th, 2019, 08:07 AM
continued..

past shoulder it looks okay. This is the phase I always end up giving up and cutting it off, so I'm really trying to push through!

Does anyone else get logged out in the middle of writing replys, btw?

Yup, I got logged out a couple days ago right as I was going to hit the post button. Lost a long, detailed post I was typing on my phone!!!

My hair curls out too and there seems to be nothing I can do about it except wear it curly or use heat. So I wear it curly.

August 18th, 2019, 06:56 AM
It's wavy or curly :). On some routines my hair are straight when shorter and start to flip out at that length. Then *magick* it goes all poofy and formless and weird past shoulders but when I use a mask on it, it magically changes into tiny 3b/c curls :). Good luck.