PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Hair Vitamins?

~MoonChild~
August 4th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Hello all~ Just curious, do any of you ladies and gents happen to incorporate a hair vitamin into your haircare routine? If so, what has been helping you?

Dark40
August 4th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Yes, I include a hair vitamin in my regimen daily. They have helped me a lot in hair growth! Helping my hair to look and feel healthy. They've also helped with shedding as well!

flowerbabies
August 4th, 2019, 08:56 PM
I’m taking 10,000 milligrams of biotin a day for the past month plus a multivitamin. My hair grew 1 inch in a month’s time. I think it’s worth a try!

~MoonChild~
August 4th, 2019, 09:14 PM
I’m taking 10,000 milligrams of biotin a day for the past month plus a multivitamin. My hair grew 1 inch in a month’s time. I think it’s worth a try!

Wow! That's exciting! I'm definitely going to look into this (^O^)/

LillyBlossom
August 4th, 2019, 09:22 PM

That's great news, I just started taking the same dose a couple of days ago, hopefully I get results similar to yours

Silica
August 4th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I also take biotin (5000-10,000mg a day). Its hard to say if it has increased my growth rate as my hair is too short to measure consistently at the moment. I've seen huge improvements in my nails and skin though so its worth it just for that!

enting
August 5th, 2019, 03:18 AM
If I may, I have a few questions for the people in this thread:

Which multivitamins do you all find useful, aside from the additional biotin?
When you use a hair vitamin specifically, what is in it and how much?

I've been taking a Centrum multivitamin, but when I look at each ingredient, there isn't actually all that much of each thing in there and I'm wondering if I could do better with a different brand.

MidnightMoon
August 5th, 2019, 04:18 AM
People overdosing on biotin might want to give this a read: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Ylva
August 5th, 2019, 05:27 AM
I take lots of supplements due to my slightly unconventional dietary habits. I take a mild multi (without iron), a B complex, zinc, potassium and magnesium daily, although I occasionally forget the magnesium.

I would personally not recommend taking just biotin let alone huge doses of it. MidnightMoon's link above is something I'd also recommend. Also, vitamins come in complexes naturally, so taking just one isn't going to yield results the same way as taking a complex would, and on top of that, vitamins of different groups also work together to achieve health benefits. For example, you wouldn't just want to take vitamin D3 but also K2 on top of that to ensure the D3 does what you want it to do.

~MoonChild~
August 5th, 2019, 05:48 PM
People overdosing on biotin might want to give this a read: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Interesting, this is super helpful thank you so much!!

also off topic a little but love your signature quote lol I adore that song <3

PillowBook
August 5th, 2019, 05:55 PM
I take Collagen 1 and 3 and I swear it works even tho IT MAKES NO SENSE and my body should just be digesting it down. I use Doctor's Best brand which tastes bad but is tolerable (unlike the Vitacost brand which disgusting) and I notice my hair is denser (and my skin is better, glowy-er, and faster healing). I don't take biotin because I have acne issues.

MusicalSpoons
August 5th, 2019, 06:33 PM
I take a silica complex; I've not *noticed* any difference in my hair so far (~6 months in) but my nails show a difference. Actually, thinking about it my shedding seemed to reduce a short while after taking it, and for a month or so I ran out and started shedding more. I cannot definitively say they are linked though, because I was tweaking my routine a bit :hmm:

No biotin in them; I tried that a couple of years ago and even just taking one a week and drinking loads of water, I still kept breaking out. I've been constantly spotty in varying degrees since pre-pubescence, but this was ridiculous :shake:

arlangrey17
August 5th, 2019, 06:37 PM
I used to take a multivitamin daily that had 100% of daily value of biotin, but I ran out and sadly they are no longer available near me or online. Towards the tail end of that, I started taking a biotin and collagen gummy vitamin that I think was 2,500 mcg of biotin? I took it for about a week and it broke me out so bad on my chin and cheek that I had to stop. I currently take Olly women's daily vitamins and they have 150% of the dv of biotin, no breakouts this time. They also have folic acid but I don't really know if they help or not. I'm just trying to supplement my subpar diet :D

MsLadyVoorhees
August 5th, 2019, 07:19 PM
I’ve been using a new brand named hair nutrition. As well as taking an iron supplement.. low iron levels can have an impact on your hair and nail growth.

Ylva
August 6th, 2019, 04:56 AM
I’ve been using a new brand named hair nutrition. As well as taking an iron supplement.. low iron levels can have an impact on your hair and nail growth.

Did you have your iron levels checked before starting the iron supplement? Having too much iron isn't good, either, and taking useless supplements can have worse consequences than not taking them.

guska
August 6th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Did you have your iron levels checked before starting the iron supplement? Having too much iron isn't good, either, and taking useless supplements can have worse consequences than not taking them.

So true, supplements only benefit if you are actually deficient. And biotin deficiency (I know you are talking about iron) is rare.

Suortuva
August 6th, 2019, 06:56 AM
I think no one should take iron supplements without checking with a doctor first, because it's realatively easy to overdose iron and that can actually kill you. Seriously.

blackgothicdoll
August 6th, 2019, 07:03 AM
I think no one should take iron supplements without checking with a doctor first, because it's realatively easy to overdose iron and that can actually kill you. Seriously.

Where is this information coming from?

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/iron-poisoning#1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3841496/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459224/

Summary: Iron overdosing is associated with children under 5 or people who are suicidal. That sort of tells us that it's not that 'easy' to do. Stay within the recommended TUL and surely you'll be just fine.

Ylva
August 6th, 2019, 07:10 AM
It's also difficult to get rid of excess iron without donating blood or taking a chelator. Much better to make sure you actually need it first.

I just recently donated blood. My haemoglobin was 155, the highest "normal" value for a female. I felt so much better afterwards, and skipped taking the iron supplement that they give you.

MidnightMoon
August 6th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Interesting, this is super helpful thank you so much!!

also off topic a little but love your signature quote lol I adore that song <3

You're welcome. Igor used to be a member here, and has very long hair, so you can trust her advice :p
I like the song as well. Your UN makes me think of Fields of the Nephilim's song. I guess you have heard it, if you recognise my signature.

Suortuva
August 6th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Where is this information coming from?

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/iron-poisoning#1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3841496/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459224/

Summary: Iron overdosing is associated with children under 5 or people who are suicidal. That sort of tells us that it's not that 'easy' to do. Stay within the recommended TUL and surely you'll be just fine.
I'm not saying it's a common thing, but I really think iron is one of the supplements with high potential to be dangerous.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, but I often hear people saying things like iron supplements are a quick fix for everything. They're a bit tired or whatever and everybody knows it's a sign of iron deficiency and iron supplements are available everywhere, even in grocery stores, so it's just to take some, no need to see a doctor. And this is really bugging me.

blackgothicdoll
August 6th, 2019, 08:40 AM
I'm not saying it's a common thing, but I really think iron is one of the supplements with high potential to be dangerous.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, but I often hear people saying things like iron supplements are a quick fix for everything. They're a bit tired or whatever and everybody knows it's a sign of iron deficiency and iron supplements are available everywhere, even in grocery stores, so it's just to take some, no need to see a doctor. And this is really bugging me.

Hmm. Maybe it is cultural. Iron deficiency/anemia is pretty common over here. I'm one to talk, I get iron infusions every other week, and it's not fun. My body cannot even tolerate oral iron supplements, unless it's a very small amount in a multivitamin. Still, although I eat a lot of iron rich foods, I lose it once a month due to excessive bleeding. Not to go down the conspiracy train but I believe it is because American food is so packed with hormones, it exacerbates menses and a lot of women end up with serious issues with heavy bleeding and generally crippling menstrual cycles. The other part is genetic. This is why I am more likely to think some one may be iron deficient than that someone may be overdosing, as in my country it seems a lot more common to be deficient.

Ylva
August 6th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Hmm. Maybe it is cultural. Iron deficiency/anemia is pretty common over here. I'm one to talk, I get iron infusions every other week, and it's not fun. My body cannot even tolerate oral iron supplements, unless it's a very small amount in a multivitamin. Still, although I eat a lot of iron rich foods, I lose it once a month due to excessive bleeding. Not to go down the conspiracy train but I believe it is because American food is so packed with hormones, it exacerbates menses and a lot of women end up with serious issues with heavy bleeding and generally crippling menstrual cycles. The other part is genetic. This is why I am more likely to think some one may be iron deficient than that someone may be overdosing, as in my country it seems a lot more common to be deficient.

I don't think that's a conspiracy. My understanding is that GMO and hormone-filled food is much more common in the US than it is in Europe on average. That was one reason why I suggested you should get your hormones checked if you haven't already because heavy menstruation definitely suggests an estrogen imbalance. Do you eat soy products? The American soil is also way worse depleted of minerals than the European, so American foods actually don't contain the same amount of stuff.

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 09:58 AM
I would personally not recommend taking just biotin let alone huge doses of it. MidnightMoon's link above is something I'd also recommend. Also, vitamins come in complexes naturally, so taking just one isn't going to yield results the same way as taking a complex would, and on top of that, vitamins of different groups also work together to achieve health benefits. For example, you wouldn't just want to take vitamin D3 but also K2 on top of that to ensure the D3 does what you want it to do.

AMEN!

Vitamins make me sick. I'm not talking about them in their natural forms, in the foods that they normally come in. But once they're isolated from their natural food habitats, they either upset my stomach, or make me itch all over, or who knows what!

That said, since brittle nails are a problem for me, I eat egg yolks & throw away the albumins. Same thing if I'm making an egg & oil hair mask: use the yolk & toss the white. (That's my biotin supplement.)

I also eat https://www.traditionalfoods.org/green-pasture-royal-blend-cinnamon-flavor.html & use https://www.traditionalfoods.org/shea-butter-beauty-muscle-cream-with-vitamin-d-and-butter-oil-concetrate.html & ...

The same company has made "Calm Balm", which is similar to Vick's Vapor Rub, except based on fermented cod liver oil instead of petro chemicals. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on their website just now.

I just finished up a bottle of spirulina powder. Need to find a cheaper supplier than my local health food store. Guess I'll look online. (Duh.)

I also eat bee pollen.

And I drive out to the farm to buy raw milk, because here, grocery stores are legally forbidden to sell it.

I also avoid hydrogenated oil like the plague, because it IS the plague. It gives me asthma attacks that land me in the hospital. 'Bye-bye margarine, hello butter!

ETA: After a few years of squeezing about half a lemon into my glass of water at each meal, I suddenly noticed it was nauseating me. I guess I caused an allergy by overdoing it. So now I'm eating parsley for breakfast...

blackgothicdoll
August 6th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I don't think that's a conspiracy. My understanding is that GMO and hormone-filled food is much more common in the US than it is in Europe on average. That was one reason why I suggested you should get your hormones checked if you haven't already because heavy menstruation definitely suggests an estrogen imbalance. Do you eat soy products? The American soil is also way worse depleted of minerals than the European, so American foods actually don't contain the same amount of stuff.

Yep, over-population, mass production of food to people who can't afford it = heavily GMO animal/plant products. The chicken breasts and legs are massive, they aren't even remotely what a chicken is supposed to look like. And some children look... not like children. It's really scary.

Anyhow, I've been pesco-ovo-vegetarian for over a year now, though I would have beef around that time of the month when I began feeling very tired. Over the past few months I've stopped eating any meat other than fish, and supplemented by adding more soy-based meat-replacements to my diet instead. So yes, a good amount of soy products.

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Soy's a problem. Here in the States, it's usually GMO, & it's hardly ever processed naturally in ways that have been used for thousands of years in Asia. I avoid soy like the plague.

Ylva
August 6th, 2019, 12:15 PM
I'm not a doctor but I would certainly recommend dropping the soy. Especially if it's GMO, it'll mess with your hormones and contribute to estrogen imbalance.

MusicalSpoons
August 6th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Kalamzoo do you mean your biotin supplement by eating or applying the egg? Biotin isn't absorbed through skin (or hair, but we all know that here) so it would only be supplement by ingesting it :)

Sparkles122
August 6th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Is it just me or does Spirulina give anyone else horrible, scary chest pain? I took it, experienced massive chest pain, stop taking it, attempted it again with same reesults and tried one more time with same results. I thought maybe it was just a coincidence but I dont usually have gastrointestinal reflux

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Sparkles, maybe you're allergic to spirulina. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it! Personally, I had to stop using lemons! of all things! I mean, everybody knows lemons are good for you! :confused: :no:

Sparkles122
August 6th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Yes, I definitely wont touch it ever again, now that I know for sure it was the spirulina.

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Kalamzoo do you mean your biotin supplement by eating or applying the egg? Biotin isn't absorbed through skin (or hair, but we all know that here) so it would only be supplement by ingesting it :)

Dear MusicalSpoons, what methinketh a tad strange is that biotin should be effective only when ingested, whilst peppermint EO is, contrarily, effective only when applied topically, according to standard LHC wisdom. How can this be? Why don't both methods of application work all the time? :hmm:

MusicalSpoons
August 6th, 2019, 06:34 PM
It depends on molecular size whether it's able to be absorbed through the skin, and also on the molecular composition for how it's metabolised, and the mechanism of effect on hair growth. As far as I understand, peppermint's effect is localised, acting on the small blood vessels near the surface of your scalp. I don't know what biotin's mechanism is, but it's the same reasoning for why don't we just bathe in medication that we have to take in tablet form? ;) Topical medications have to be specifically formulated to a) be absorbed through the skin and b) at the appropriate rate for metabolisation - too slow and it's ineffective, too quickly and it's an overdose. If you think about EOs, some are apparently safe for ingestion in the correct amounts, but many others are only safe for external use. Why would they be safe for that if they were harmful internally, unless they are not absorbed by the skin enough to affect whatever organ system cannot take them?

Ugh, it's late and my brain's gloopy. I hope that made some kind of sense? :hmm: If not I'll try again when words are doing a bit better!

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Some of the ingredients that I use in my hair masks are emulsifiers (ACV, witch hazel, alcohol, & aloe vera). My theory is that they break up large molecules, not only so that things can mix that wouldn't normally (e.g., oil & water), but also so that some things can penetrate that normally wouldn't. If my hair is growing faster than usual (and I'm trying to photo-document that that's the case, over on the "Does eating peppermint grow hair faster?" thread), then that could be an explanation why.

I've noticed with peppermint EO, that if I place it on my scalp, it cleans out my sinuses. I've also sometimes wound up tasting my shampoo. I think those are two examples of items applied to the scalp winding up elsewhere.

Some medicines are available in more than one form: skin patch, pill, ointment, injection, etc.

And aren't there biotin shampoos on the market? https://www.amazon.com/BOTANIC-HEARTH-Biotin-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B07SFLZY12?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-samsung-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07SFLZY12

MusicalSpoons
August 6th, 2019, 08:09 PM
There are biotin shampoos on the market yes, just like there are split end repair products on the market - but we know those don't work ...

Tasting your shampoo (and indeed peppermint clearing your sinuses out) is because some of the product has entered your mouth/nose externally, tiny vapour molecules that you can't see travelling through the air and landing elsewhere - in the same way that an uncovered sneeze transports germs to surfaces and other people. :idea: airborne, that's the word!

My point with medication is that not all can be formulated in different erm, what's the word? Different forms? Only those that can be formulated as such without changing the active molecule. Same with all other substances - some are able to be absorbed and effective through the skin but not others. Kind of like how some proteins are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft but others are too large and only stay outside on the cuticle.

Emulsifiers join two molecules together, holding onto one on one end and another the other end. They don't break them down. Well, they help disperse larger drops - clumps of molecules, if you will - into smaller amounts throughout the solution, but they don't actually break the molecules themselves down, otherwise it would be changing the substances into something else.

(I hope none of this discussion comes across as arguing btw, I don't intend it to be whatsoever and none of it is personal *At All*, it's only about the facts! :flower:)

Kalamazoo
August 6th, 2019, 10:01 PM
(I hope none of this discussion comes across as arguing btw, I don't intend it to be whatsoever and none of it is personal *At All*, it's only about the facts! :flower:)

Thank you, MusicalSpoons! I know I have a lot to learn. I appreciate the friendly atmosphere! :puppy:

There are biotin shampoos on the market yes, just like there are split end repair products on the market - but we know those don't work ...

True. There's a lot of scammy stuff on the market.

Emulsifiers join two molecules together, holding onto one on one end and another the other end. They don't break them down. Well, they help disperse larger drops - clumps of molecules, if you will - into smaller amounts throughout the solution, but they don't actually break the molecules themselves down, otherwise it would be changing the substances into something else.

That's a fine point I was lacking. Yes, a molecule of X becomes a molecule of Y, if an atom of Q is removed.

Tasting your shampoo (and indeed peppermint clearing your sinuses out) is because some of the product has entered your mouth/nose externally, tiny vapour molecules that you can't see travelling through the air and landing elsewhere - in the same way that an uncovered sneeze transports germs to surfaces and other people. :idea: airborne, that's the word!

Either that or else waterborne, as when the water washes the shampoo into my eyes. (Yeeeeeoucccchhhh!)

My point with medication is that not all can be formulated in different erm, what's the word? Different forms? Only those that can be formulated as such without changing the active molecule. Same with all other substances - some are able to be absorbed and effective through the skin but not others. Kind of like how some proteins are small enough to penetrate the hair shaft but others are too large and only stay outside on the cuticle.

O.K., well that shoots that explanation!

Thanks for your patience! :knitfrog:

MamaLou
August 7th, 2019, 09:19 AM
I'm not a doctor but I would certainly recommend dropping the soy. Especially if it's GMO, it'll mess with your hormones and contribute to estrogen imbalance.

I have to disagree with you. A lot of plant foods other than soy also contain phytoestrogens, like hops and sesame seeds. So you can not be sure if the total amount of phytoestrogens will actually decrease a significant amount if you cut out soy, you have to look at the total diet. Also other foods than plant foods contain hormones as well, like dairy. I think that if someone is actually concerned that the hormones in their diet is contributing to their hormonal imbalance that they should consult with their doctor before cutting out all kinds of food. Obviously I'm not an expert on nutrition, so use your own judgement.

Ylva
August 7th, 2019, 09:37 AM
I have to disagree with you. A lot of plant foods other than soy also contain phytoestrogens, like hops and sesame seeds. So you can not be sure if the total amount of phytoestrogens will actually decrease a significant amount if you cut out soy, you have to look at the total diet. Also other foods than plant foods contain hormones as well, like dairy. I think that if someone is actually concerned that the hormones in their diet is contributing to their hormonal imbalance that they should consult with their doctor before cutting out all kinds of food. Obviously I'm not an expert on nutrition, so use your own judgement.

Well, I'd certainly cut out most plants and dairy as well, but I'm not going to go as far as to advise anyone to do that even though I have done so myself. :D I think the soy is a good place to start because of its GMO status, but I don't actually know how widespread GMO food is in the US, so I speak from my innocent northern European perspective.

Kalamazoo
August 7th, 2019, 09:43 AM
In the USA, GMO soy is a BIG problem! In fact, unless the label specifically says that it's non-GMO, one should assume that it IS GMO.

SylveonPaws
August 7th, 2019, 10:11 AM
I have some annoying health related dietary restrictions so I take a multi vitamin (without iron), and a few other supplements not hair related. For a couple months I did add in a hair and nail gummy vitamin (I think it was mostly collagen and biotin) from Nature's Bounty. Nothing noticeable happened to my new growth during that time.

MusicalSpoons
August 7th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Thank you, MusicalSpoons! I know I have a lot to learn. I appreciate the friendly atmosphere! :puppy:
Thanks for your patience! :knitfrog:

You're welcome, and thank you for being receptive to the info :D
Oh yes, and waterborne too, definitely! That got completely lost in the brainfog :lol:

MamaLou
August 8th, 2019, 12:33 AM
I was thinking about trying biotin, but I don't think I'll be doing it after reading this thread. I do not want to supplement something that I'm probably not deficient in.

maborosi
August 8th, 2019, 12:48 AM
I do take a hair nail and skin vitamin- I have personally found that biotin helps my nails a LOT. I do not know if it affects my hair growth.
If I take too much of it, though, I get pretty bad acne.

Dark40
August 11th, 2019, 01:48 PM
I do take a hair nail and skin vitamin- I have personally found that biotin helps my nails a LOT. I do not know if it affects my hair growth.
If I take too much of it, though, I get pretty bad acne.

If you take a lot of biotin drink plenty of water, and that should calm down or stop the acne. Because, I also take vitamins for hair, skin, and nails but I drink plenty of water.

MusicalSpoons
August 11th, 2019, 02:43 PM
If you take a lot of biotin drink plenty of water, and that should calm down or stop the acne. Because, I also take vitamins for hair, skin, and nails but I drink plenty of water.

For a while I took a fairly high dose of biotin in a hair/skin/nails multivitamin and at the time I was drinking 3 or 4 litres of water every day, yet I still broke out with acne. The recommended dose was 3 tablets each day, but I was only taking 1 each day, so I started only taking one every two days, then kept cutting it down until I was taking one tablet a week - and it still made me extra spotty, despite the copious amounts of water I was still drinking! So I had no choice but to give up on the idea altogether; I think it was just that taking a large dose all at once was too much for my body, no matter how infrequently.

I now take an iron multi, which I initially didn't realise does contain biotin but at the recommended daily amount though I take 2 a day for the iron, and I'm fine, even though I'm also drinking less water now (but still plenty - 2 to 3 litres a day).

blackgothicdoll
August 11th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Well, I'd certainly cut out most plants and dairy as well, but I'm not going to go as far as to advise anyone to do that even though I have done so myself. :D I think the soy is a good place to start because of its GMO status, but I don't actually know how widespread GMO food is in the US, so I speak from my innocent northern European perspective.

Everything here is GMO (in a regular grocery store) but I find the meat to be the largest problem unless I'm going to a butcher. It's easier to find non gmo plants in the market and less expensive than going to a butcher for good meat. If I ate meat every day I'd spend a ton buying from only market or butcher, so I choose pescatarian because it's a more affordable way to avoid hormones. Ive had issues long before soy, not to say it isn't making things worse. I will try reducing it just to see, because it's the only thing I changed recently and I don't know where else some of my other symptoms may be coming from.

ChloeDharma
August 12th, 2019, 03:11 AM
I'm really bad at taking supplements. I get all enthusiastic andpromise myself I'll take them regularly but always end up forgetting. I've been trying to remember to take evening primrose oil and a B-complex and did keep it up for a month or so but again have now been forgetting.

The only time I noticed a supplement actually speed up my growth rate was I think in 2012 when I started taking MSM, biotin and vitamin C. I did have a massive growth spurt although unfortunately that growth was EVERYWHERE not just on my scalp! I also happened upon some information about large doses of biotin straining the kidneys and heard of one person experiencing kidney failure after taking it. As a type 1 diabetic I already need to be careful with my kidneys and kidney failure in exchange for faster hair growth seemed a pretty bad deal so I stopped the biotin.

That's the only time I have actually noticed faster growth from supplements so I suspect the biotin is the key. I've taken it at lower doses in a B-complex or multivitamin but not experienced growth spurts from that.

Also on the topic of soya, I remember sharing a study here years ago that indicated the combination of soya and chillis promote faster hair growth, might be worth looking into. Personally I avoid soya because I don't want to risk my thyroid health but if you are in Europe and the GMO issue is your reason for not eating soya you can find organic soya products and Alpro uses non GM soya grown in France the last time I checked.

Silica
August 12th, 2019, 10:19 AM
For a while I took a fairly high dose of biotin in a hair/skin/nails multivitamin and at the time I was drinking 3 or 4 litres of water every day, yet I still broke out with acne. The recommended dose was 3 tablets each day, but I was only taking 1 each day, so I started only taking one every two days, then kept cutting it down until I was taking one tablet a week - and it still made me extra spotty, despite the copious amounts of water I was still drinking! So I had no choice but to give up on the idea altogether; I think it was just that taking a large dose all at once was too much for my body, no matter how infrequently.

I now take an iron multi, which I initially didn't realise does contain biotin but at the recommended daily amount though I take 2 a day for the iron, and I'm fine, even though I'm also drinking less water now (but still plenty - 2 to 3 litres a day).

Its amazing how different our body chemistries can be! Since I've been taking the biotin my skin has improved. My acne wasn't bad these days (used to be severe in my younger years) but I would always have a blemish or two. Now my skin is 100% clear the majority of the time. There really is no way to know what will work for you until you try for yourself

drummer
August 13th, 2019, 02:51 AM
I do �� I love Holland & Barrets hair vitamin ☺️ I think it really helps with my hair ��

cestlavie
August 13th, 2019, 05:39 AM
Bought MSM powder a few days ago and will give it a try. I'm really curious to see if it does anything for hair growth/less shedding.

Waveurly
August 14th, 2019, 05:19 AM
Whenever I take colllagen I see an increase in hair growth. I've tried various vitamins but that's the only thing I saw a result from. Also eating eggs and fruit seem to help (biotin, vitamin c!) Then I have noticed a mayor increase in hair growth when I did not use shampoo and did a lot of rknses with amla, did not want to continue though as this gradually made my hair darker unfortunately. That's my take on 'supplements and vitamins'.

Suortuva
August 14th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Bought MSM powder a few days ago and will give it a try. I'm really curious to see if it does anything for hair growth/less shedding.

I started taking MSM again for some weeks ago. Not specifically for my hair, but if it's doing something good for hair too, that's just a bonus. Though I have used it several times and longer periods (6+ months, don't remember exactly), and I didn't notice anything special with my hair).

At the moment I'm taking fish oil for Omega 3 and zink. These are not for my hair either, but who knows. What supplements I take varies a bit, but I have never used anything specific to hair. I usually take vitamin D during the winter time, too.

iamjessica26
August 30th, 2019, 08:50 PM
I bounce back and forth taking a multivitamin and a hair, skin, and nails vitamin. I do see a difference when I take them but it could all just be in my head :ponder: I like to break open the vitamins and actually put the contents into a mask or leave in treatment I feel like that makes more of a difference, especially with EPO it makes my hair so soft and shiny

Wendyclaire
August 31st, 2019, 12:27 PM
Watch out for intestinal problems if taking biotin. It doesn’t effect everyone but I had a problem with it.