PDA

View Full Version : How about a 'No Length Check Challenge'?

blackgothicdoll
August 4th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Don't call me crazy, there is such a thing as delayed gratification. I suppose it's as simple as going a predetermined period of time without:

Taking a length check picture
Measuring hair with a tape measure
Otherwise documenting/tracking the length of your hair outside of typical observation

I mean, really we just have to take one another's word for it, but it's worth a shot.

Time frames:

Easy mode: 3 months
Intermediate mode: 6 months
Expert mode: 12 months
Long-hair veteran mode: Forever :o

Anyone with me? I'm going for three months and I'm not confident I'll make it but I'll try :o Keep me company while I don't measure my hair

I'll probably be out of this challenge in two weeks lmao but maybe it'll help someone else

ETA: Now adding penalty rounds! In case you accidentally do a length check in the middle of your challenge, a penalty round will add some time to your challenge so that you don't have to start over.

Easy Mode:
1st Penalty: 1 week
2nd Penalty: 2 weeks
3rd Penalty: 3 weeks

Intermediate Mode:
1st Penalty: 1 month
2nd Penalty: 2 months
3rd Penalty: 3 months

Expert Mode:
1st Penalty: 2 months
2nd Penalty: 4 months
3rd Penalty: 6 months

blackgothicdoll
August 4th, 2019, 06:14 PM
My last length check was the 16th of July. The soonest I can check again is the 16th of October.

spidermom
August 4th, 2019, 06:23 PM
I had to do this the first time I grew to my goal of classic length because I was checking for length about 10 times a day, so of course I never saw progress. Therefore, I limited myself to once per month.

Now I really don't care how long it is or how fast it's growing most of the time, so I rarely look at it for length. I do, however, look at it to make sure I don't have some weird parting going on in the back or a missed strand from braiding. Therefore I can't join the challenge, but I think it's worthwhile. If you don't look at the length very often, you will see progress.

hannabiss
August 4th, 2019, 06:39 PM
I'll go easy mode. Reason being I plan to trim on new years or I'd go intermediate.

Then I'll try going 6 months or even a year without checking.

S&S
August 4th, 2019, 07:57 PM
This would be an ideal challenge if I could do it! haha

I currently only allow myself to measure once a month ~30ish days apart, but I find myself still "visually measuring" when I get out of the shower and my hair is wet. I think the constant measuring is due to my chop in May... so maybe once I get back to a length where I find it "long" and don't care, this challenge will be doable. Maybe next year! :eek:

Silica
August 4th, 2019, 09:50 PM
I'm in! I'll go for 6 months. Mine is too short to really measure right now anyway so I solemnly vow not to pick up a tape measure until Feb 2020 :cool:

Stray_mind
August 4th, 2019, 11:09 PM
I'm in. I'll go easy mode for now and see how it goes. My last length shot was at the end of june. I will check my length at the end of agust.

Estrid
August 5th, 2019, 12:10 AM
Hmm, I think this might be the right time for me to join this.
I'm in the mid-back abyss, feeling rather unexcited about my hair and I should not trim it more this year, maybe not the next one either, since my ends are too annoyingly thick for my liking, I will only S&D.
Though, I'm in a WL by Christmas 2019 challenge, so I will check my length on the 24th or 25th of December, but that does mean a good 4.5 months here. I should be able to make that rather easily.

NicoleJean
August 5th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Funny a few days ago I actually decided not to measure my hair on the first of the month like usual. I was feeling like I was getting too obsessed and was tired of feeling disappointed when there isn’t much change after just one month. Hopefully next month I’ll have a nice surprise after resisting this month. I’m going to try to switch to every other month for now on. Not sure if I can do I though!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 5th, 2019, 02:23 AM
I already began doing this at the beginning of the year, now I just measure every six months instead of every month.

NicoleJean
August 5th, 2019, 02:23 AM
Oh I think I can only make it to September 1. My last measurement and photo was July 1.

Suortuva
August 5th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Ah, I like the idea, but I'm pretty sure I can't wait 3 months before I need to trim again, and if and when I trim, I need to measure. (I trim always when my ends start to feel so bad I can't live with them anymore. Usually this is around every 3 months). Maybe after my next trim... If I'll trim in the end of September, I could do the rest of the year. I need to think about this.

I don't measure regularly, but I'm probably doing it once a month anyway...

enting
August 5th, 2019, 03:02 AM
I don't think I've used a measuring tape or a photo to measure length in quite a long time. I quickly gave up on measuring tapes because I was getting all sorts of different numbers, and I don't have a good and easy way of getting length photos in any case.
I just generally check manually once in a while before/during a shower.

Begemot
August 5th, 2019, 04:22 AM
I'm in :D I made it to APL recently and now there's the long-ish road to BSL. It would be better to not check my length for the time being. I already dropped out from the monthly progress picture thread and haven't touched the measuring tape in months. Going to take my last picture today and then be done with it for three months. I'll re-evaluate the situation on 5th of November.

YvetteVarie
August 5th, 2019, 05:15 AM
I'm in. I last checked my length in June, so I would have to hold off until year end. Sounds doable to me

embee
August 5th, 2019, 05:18 AM
I'm in. I've not measured in *years*. When I started, oh yes, but now, nope, not worth taking the time. :)

Cg
August 5th, 2019, 09:44 AM
I have no expectation of reaching knee any time soon, so I clearly belong here.

Like embee, I haven't use a tape in some time, and I've been habitually late noticing the most recent body markers. Not sure that makes me a "veteran" or just laaaazy.

BerrySara
August 5th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I'm in as well. I have been obsessively checking my length a lot lately due to a trim and find myself comparing to where I would have been etc. No more of that.
I am in for the easy mode to begin with. So no checking on the length for me until October. That seriously does sound like it would be quite enjoyable to check my length in 3 months to see actual visible growth.

blackgothicdoll
August 5th, 2019, 10:33 AM
I'm in as well. I have been obsessively checking my length a lot lately due to a trim and find myself comparing to where I would have been etc. No more of that.
I am in for the easy mode to begin with. So no checking on the length for me until October. That seriously does sound like it would be quite enjoyable to check my length in 3 months to see actual visible growth.

Oh believe me, it is! Back when I used to straighten my hair, I got to the point of waiting 3 month intervals between straightening. Then my hair looked sooo much longer. If I check monthly however, it seems pretty grim. So I'm trying to put some blinders on and force myself to stop obsessing! It's fun not knowing how long my hair is :lol: can't frustrate me if I don't know :whistle:

GrowlingCupcake
August 5th, 2019, 11:35 AM
I'm in for the rest of the year; I was planning on checking more but I think I need to just leave it be since checking is upsetting me.

So from now till about the first week of January!

Brethil
August 6th, 2019, 07:17 AM
I'm in through Christmas Eve. I've never been a big length checker, but now that I'm actually closing in on goal length I'm starting to go 'is it longer?' every time I take a shower. No, no it's not.

My hair grows slowly so it probably won't actually grow those last three inches by Christmas, but it's certainly not going get there in the meantime.

lapushka
August 6th, 2019, 08:10 AM
I just let it grow while going towards classic. Before BSL I was "obsessed" with gaining length, until at one point I just... let it go, stopped measuring, and just gauged my length according to milestones, roughly and when I saw I was close I measured to the milestone. It is such a relief and so easy.

Because it's going to grow anyway, if there's no major hiccups (like iron shortage, breakage, heat damage), and it's just time that has to go over it. :shrug:

hinabelle
August 6th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I guess I qualify for this challenge, mainly because I don't have a reliable way to measure my highly textured hair.
Every wash comes out different, and I have been exclusively wearing my hair in twists for my job for the past 2 months.
The closest I get to measuring is seeing how many strands have reached waist when my hair is fully saturated in the shower.
At this point I'm basically just doing what lapushka mentioned. I know where my hair is, I know where I want it to be,
and that's about as good as I'm going to get these days! :lol:

embee
August 6th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to put some blinders on and force myself to stop obsessing! It's fun not knowing how long my hair is :lol: can't frustrate me if I don't know :whistle:

This is exactly right. If you can keep putting your hair into that cool bun you did not long ago, you'll not have to worry about how long your hair is... it's long enough for a nice bun, and that's longer than most people's hair. :D

Stray_mind
August 6th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I forgot i will do a length shot for my two(actually 5) year anniversary on LHC. Guess i'll have to start the challenge after that.

dyna
August 6th, 2019, 09:59 PM
Eh, what's the point? Hair grows more or less 5 inches/year (apparently Asian-heritage folks grow a little faster, African-heritage folks a little slower). Thinking good thoughts is not going to make it grow faster. Maintaining good nutrition might not help it go faster, but should keep it from going slower than your natural tendencyr.

https://www.livescience.com/42868-how-fast-does-hair-grow.html

Begemot
August 7th, 2019, 01:11 AM
Eh, what's the point? Hair grows more or less 5 inches/year (apparently Asian-heritage folks grow a little faster, African-heritage folks a little slower). Thinking good thoughts is not going to make it grow faster. Maintaining good nutrition might not help it go faster, but should keep it from going slower than your natural tendencyr.

I don't think anyone here is expecting their hair to grow faster. Some (like myself) get a little obsessed with checking length and as they say, a watched pot never boils :)

blackgothicdoll
August 7th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Did you read the original post at all? This has nothing to do with speeding up hair growth.

Stray_mind
August 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Ok, so starting the challenge today. I will take my next length pic on november 7th.

jane_marie
August 7th, 2019, 07:58 AM
I'm new here but I would love to join this! Right now, my hair is at 18" and I'm hoping to make it to waist length (23" on me) by my birthday. That's 5" in 7 months and at the rate my hair grows it's going to happen regardless of checking.

Thanks for the cool challenge. I tend to fixate so this should help me avoid measuring 7 times a day.

BerrySara
August 7th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I'm new here but I would love to join this! Right now, my hair is at 18" and I'm hoping to make it to waist length (23" on me) by my birthday. That's 5" in 7 months and at the rate my hair grows it's going to happen regardless of checking.

Thanks for the cool challenge. I tend to fixate so this should help me avoid measuring 7 times a day.

lol same and Welcome!

I drive myself nuts checking my hair every day.
Most mornings as I put up my hair or refresh or do a half up, I often find myself taking one of my longer strands and stretching it down to see where it ends. Well typically nothing changes from the day before and yet I still check...

Well this morning I caught myself, remembered this challenge and didn't check :hifive:

Begemot
August 9th, 2019, 03:45 AM
Easy mode, 88 days left before my next length check...:meditate: :grin:

NiennaEllanesse
August 9th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Hey! A newbie LHC member here. My hair is currently way too short to really measure and I'm doing a bit of a self experiment to try to speed up growth (if that's even possible) so I'm in. If it's ok I'd like to set my own goal to initially when I can actually put it up in a bun (which is most likely 6 months to a year).

LoveSnap
August 9th, 2019, 07:54 PM
This is about where I am in my hair journey. :cool: I'm wanting to focus more on the health of my hair and what it seems to need instead of how long it is. Length will come if your hair is being cared for, right?

I'll do a little more than 3 months and take it until the end of the year. It's easier to remember.

jane_marie
August 9th, 2019, 09:02 PM
lol same and Welcome!

I drive myself nuts checking my hair every day.
Most mornings as I put up my hair or refresh or do a half up, I often find myself taking one of my longer strands and stretching it down to see where it ends. Well typically nothing changes from the day before and yet I still check...

Well this morning I caught myself, remembered this challenge and didn't check :hifive:

You're a better woman than I! This morning I realized I checked my length the wrong way and redid it out of curiosity. So, I guess I failed. haha

I love your crescent hair toy! My fiance loves woodworking and I asked him to make me one. How do you like it? Is it easy to use?

joiekimochi
August 10th, 2019, 06:00 AM
This is a challenge I can get behind. I started (more like, re-started) my growing challenge last year and went crazy with impatience, so I stopped coming onto this forum because it was enabling my hair growth anxiety. I told myself that I'll only check in every 3-6 months. I started at collarbone-grazing, and now I'm almost at BSL. I'll probably measure it next January and do a trim then!

pisinoe
August 10th, 2019, 06:10 AM
I'm doing the easy mode until December then :-) I need it because I've been so impatient...

NiennaEllanesse
August 12th, 2019, 07:46 AM
I wish my hair was already at a length where I could just put it up and forget about it. Having it so short means I'm unintentionally seeing if there's been any growth progress. I haven't actually looked in the mirror yet though, and I don't have a measuring tape (not that there's any point). If only those "grow your hair x inches overnight" things really worked just so I could put it up.

momof3mary
August 12th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Back after growing hair to collar bone, dyed it to oblivion, and buzzed it back to 1/4 of an inch long. I'm definitely on board with the no length check, my plan is to ignore it and let it do its thing😁

ExpectoPatronum
August 12th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Ooh. I'd like to be a part of this challenge. I'll partake in easy mode and measure my hair in three months. I'll measure it at some point today to determine the starting length.

BerrySara
August 12th, 2019, 05:07 PM
You're a better woman than I! This morning I realized I checked my length the wrong way and redid it out of curiosity. So, I guess I failed. haha

I love your crescent hair toy! My fiance loves woodworking and I asked him to make me one. How do you like it? Is it easy to use?

Oops, didn't see this message sorry. Haha well I don't think I could just leave it alone either if I had measured in a wrong way that resulted in my hair looking shorter than it is...! No thanks!

Thank you! I got the crescent moon from Yevheniia's shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/YevheniiaShop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=713646846) on Etsy.
I do like it especially because its a pretty cool shape and stands out. I don't think the crescent moon hair toys are as easy to use as say a fork or a stick even but to me they make up for it because they are so pretty to look at lol. I will say the wood or part wood crescent moons are a bit easier for me because they are much lighter weight than a full resin one. I have a wooden one and I don't feel it once its in my hair. Whereas the resin one I can feel and find myself having to adjust.

Look forward to seeing yours! Please do share :)

NiennaEllanesse
August 12th, 2019, 10:01 PM
Woohoo I figured out a hairstyle where most of it is out of my face, it's protected and I can't see the length!! I've got 2 french braids on either side of my head with most of the middle back part of my hair left out. I pulled that into a ponytail and pinned the braids to that. It's cute and a little messy but so much easier than trying to do twin french braids woth all of the bobby pins or a ponytail with everything falling out. I'm so happy now ☺☺

Panthera
August 13th, 2019, 08:44 AM
I'm in! I've been checking my length constantly and getting very impatient because the next milestone will be my goal length. I'll start with 6 months, there's no way I'd reach my goal sooner anyway.

NicoleJean
August 14th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Ok I confess I just measured :( but I gained 1/2” so :)

blackgothicdoll
August 14th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Ok I confess I just measured :( but I gained 1/2” so :)

:whip:

Congratulations on the growth though! It's not too bad when it's good news to be had :D

I've made it to 30 days. Should get easier after this, I think. :o

Begemot
August 15th, 2019, 01:41 AM
Congrats for the growth, NicoleJean, and congrats for making it to 30 days, blackgothicdoll :thumbsup:

blackgothicdoll
August 17th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Soooo I'm going to be straightening my hair next weekend for my birthday :o I will probably self-trim and end up oggling my length quite a bit as is mandatory once my hair is straight, so I'm calling failure now and restarting in the beginning of September. :lol:

Eta: I straightened it today and it's just a ball of fluff. Generally looks longer but I didn't try stretching the hair in the back. I'll try not to so I can stay on the same path... I did of course tug a few strands in the front :o

unheardletters
August 18th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Wrong thread

Lady Stardust
August 19th, 2019, 06:03 AM
I think this is such a great idea for a thread. Thank you blackgothicdoll!

I’ve been thinking it over. I know roughly the measurements for my body markers as far as waist length. Each milestone will take a year without trims, and given that my hair looks awful and misbehaves without trims, it’s more likely to be at least 18 months between milestones. I don’t know whether I should join length specific threads in the future because it just makes me focus on the length. I do like meeting people on those threads though.

I’m going to see if I can go without measuring my hair for the foreseeable future. I have a hairdresser that I can trust. As long as I only have small trims, it’ll get longer.

I expect that I will take length shots after a haircut, which is about every 3 months. I might not even do that, but I will definitely refrain from length shots in between haircuts.

Begemot
August 19th, 2019, 11:52 AM
I'm trimming my bangs tomorrow and decided I should get a small trim for my ends too. I'm not sure if I'll end up not looking when my hairdresser shows the results or if I'll look and start this challenge over again.

lunalocks
August 19th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I don't even remember the last time I checked. We moved 2 1/2 months ago and I can't find my extra long tape measure (I made it out of 2 paper measuring tapes) so I may have tossed it before the move, or packed it, and prior to that we were moving and prior to that selling our house and prior to that getting house ready...I don't think I've measured since January. At least. Part of why I stopped was due to a huge Fall shed last year, and not gaining ANY length for more than a year, certain I'd reached terminal, hovering at knee. Well, I see I am now beyond knee (just when I almost decided to cut about a foot off, or back to FTL.) Oh, well.

It IS very cool to wear your hair up for a number of months, 4 to 6 even, and then take it down and wear it loose for part of a day. It feels SO MUCH LONGER and, for me, so much more satisfying than measuring every month and gaining such small increments. It's the reward for patience.

Longlegs
August 19th, 2019, 07:56 PM
I think I'm part of this challenge more from laziness, I hate trying to measure my hair. I find it a bit awkward. I did it for a few months when I started growing it at the beginning of the year. I think it grows at the average of 1/2 in per month and now I've established that I don't feel the need to measure it again. I can tell it's getting longer from the way it feels and looks. I'm doing the no trimming for 2019 and I think I'll hold off on checking it until the end of the year.

Begemot
August 20th, 2019, 03:43 AM
I got my ends micro-trimmed. My hairdresser showed me my hair through mirrors but I didn't have my glasses on and I was wearing the cape, so I didn't actually see much (as in, where my ends reach). So I'm not re-starting my challenge :D 77 days to go.

Groovy Granny
August 20th, 2019, 12:02 PM
I'm in :thumbsup: and signing up for the Expert mode: 12 months.

Just today I made the decision to go for CLASSIC and should reach it within the year :cheer:

Cg
August 21st, 2019, 09:38 AM
I'm in :thumbsup: and signing up for the Expert mode: 12 months.

Just today I made the decision to go for CLASSIC and should reach it within the year :cheer:

That's great! Your hair is gorgeous at any length, so the more the better, right?

Groovy Granny
August 21st, 2019, 10:17 AM
That's great! Your hair is gorgeous at any length, so the more the better, right?

Awwww thank you :flowers:

Milkchocolate
August 22nd, 2019, 11:17 AM
I guess I must be in veteran mode because I never check from pure laziness to look for my measuring tape haha. The last time I measured was maybe 3 years ago.

Cg
August 22nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
I guess I must be in veteran mode because I never check from pure laziness to look for my measuring tape haha. The last time I measured was maybe 3 years ago.

No, no, not lazy, busy. Let's make our sloth sound virtuous.

whoisida
August 27th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Cool! I will try the expert mode, must be really easy, because the last time I measured was 2 years ago I think :p

Shepherdess
August 27th, 2019, 04:58 PM
I don't think I have checked my hair length for a month and I decided to avoid measuring it a while ago since I never saw much progress, so perhaps I should be part of this thread, although I'm not sure what mode I'd be in. :) Perhaps I'll just say three months for now and see if I will last longer. :)

pixitolong
August 28th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Yep I'm in because checking every day for the last 6 months has actually made me quite sad and felt at times that there is no progress. I am going to just try to not check for a week to start. I am very obsessive at the moment, so if I can last 1 week to start with, it might help me not feel so frustrated.

The-Young-Maid
August 28th, 2019, 11:23 AM
I'm going to attempt this challenge as well. From now til... New Years? I think I can manage that. I'll put the tape measure away and try not to look in the mirror much besides for looking presentable at work. I'll try my best to ignore my hair in the shower too. I'm also adding S&D because that gets me thinking about hair too much.

honeybee93
August 28th, 2019, 11:44 AM
I did this over the winter and my hair seemed to grow like a weed! (conveniently...) I actually attribute this to the fact that I actively tried to not think about my length and instead focused my energy on holistically taking care of my whole body (and probably some luck). I took pre-natal gummies every day, did at least 20 minutes of exercise every day, started eating MORE so that I could fuel myself, took myself out of some very toxic relationships...and I was so happy and much less stressed overall. I tried to grow my hair out for four years and I never experienced so much growth as I did from say November through April, despite the Boston winter temps. I went from just above BSL to waist which was major for me. I felt very lucky to be able to take these measures in my life and I would like to re-start this self-care journey, as I've really fallen off the wagon since moving and starting a new job. Looking forward to forgetting about my hair for a little while. :)

I encourage all of you to take care of yourselves as best you can, even if the smallest of ways. :blossom:

honeybee93
August 28th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I did this over the winter and my hair seemed to grow like a weed! (conveniently...) I actually attribute this to the fact that I actively tried to not think about my length and instead focused my energy on holistically taking care of my whole body (and probably some luck). I took pre-natal gummies every day, did at least 20 minutes of exercise every day, started eating MORE so that I could fuel myself, took myself out of some very toxic relationships...and I was so happy and much less stressed overall. I tried to grow my hair out for four years and I never experienced so much growth as I did from say November through April, despite the Boston winter temps. I went from just above BSL to waist which was major for me. I felt very lucky to be able to take these measures in my life and I would like to re-start this self-care journey, as I've really fallen off the wagon since moving and starting a new job. Looking forward to forgetting about my hair for a little while. :)

I encourage all of you to take care of yourselves as best you can, even if the smallest of ways. :blossom:

*edit: even if in the smallest of ways :)

honeybee93
August 28th, 2019, 04:37 PM
*edit: even if in the smallest of ways :)

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work (~2 hours) and I also attribute a lot of my growth to keeping my ends soft and protected with a satin sleep bonnet. I've been slacking SO much with this and it shows, especially in the DC heat!

hinabelle
August 29th, 2019, 10:45 AM
I made a "typical observation" of my length today. That's about all I'm going to do! :lol:

Begemot
September 4th, 2019, 03:01 AM
One month down, two to go. I doubt I'll have the patience to keep going longer than three months.

Stray_mind
September 4th, 2019, 03:10 AM
One month to go for me. I am so tempted though. :D

Groovy Granny
September 9th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Well...only 3 weeks in and I am OUT :o

I keep cutting back from TBL to @Hip (? 3x now.... not including this consideration).

My silver is super fine and wispy and I have been fighting tangles this past month going past TBL; plus it gets annoying as I like wearing it down at times.

So....good luck and have fun....I will be trimming back a bit :waving:

desisparkles
September 9th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Just want to say that I'm so impressed with your will power! Stay strong, I'll join too.. once I reach hip :wink:

floralgem
September 9th, 2019, 08:16 PM
I'm in since I'm in the mid back abyss. Hopefully I make it somewhere by next summer, then we'll see.

Stray_mind
September 9th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Less than a month left before i check my length. Somehow it doesn't feel like my hair grew much though...

Panthera
September 10th, 2019, 03:07 AM
I have 5 months left. Getting a bit easier now, at first I felt like there's no way I can go for 6 months, I felt such a strong urge to check like it's some kind of an ocd. :lol: I still have to remind myself not to check and look into the mirror every now and then.

Jo Ann
September 10th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Does admiring your length when you see your shadow count?

Stray_mind
September 19th, 2019, 01:49 AM
Around 10 days left before i can take a length photo... this is way too hard for me.

gothicshollow
September 19th, 2019, 02:15 AM
I'm in!
I actually haven't checked my hair length since years. Between 2012 and 2014 I used to take a pic every month and measure the hair length, but then I had a "hair-hate" period and cut them and stopped measuring. Then I grew them out again but with no stress, and I haven't measured them since 2015.
I want to continue to do so, therefore I'm in for the long-term challenge :D

Begemot
September 19th, 2019, 02:44 AM
47 days left for me before next length check :meditate:

EssleyBlue
September 19th, 2019, 05:12 PM
I'll throw my hat in the Easy ring. Reached APL this month and am currently in the No-trim 2nd Half Challenge, so it makes sense not to check length until the end of the year. Since I don't measure and only take photos every few months, my biggest weakness is checking in the mirror (sigh).

Stray_mind
September 20th, 2019, 03:30 AM
I am dropping out. I just checked my length for the APL to BSL thread. Hahaha. Good luck to everyone who hasn't caved yet :)

Cg
September 20th, 2019, 10:18 AM
For me not checking is easy bc my next milestone (knee) is a long way off. I expect it's more challenging when your milestones come quickly and you're eager to note that progress.

Lady Stardust
September 24th, 2019, 04:36 AM
I think this is such a great idea for a thread. Thank you blackgothicdoll!

I’ve been thinking it over. I know roughly the measurements for my body markers as far as waist length. Each milestone will take a year without trims, and given that my hair looks awful and misbehaves without trims, it’s more likely to be at least 18 months between milestones. I don’t know whether I should join length specific threads in the future because it just makes me focus on the length. I do like meeting people on those threads though.

I’m going to see if I can go without measuring my hair for the foreseeable future. I have a hairdresser that I can trust. As long as I only have small trims, it’ll get longer.

I expect that I will take length shots after a haircut, which is about every 3 months. I might not even do that, but I will definitely refrain from length shots in between haircuts.

Well, somehow, I haven’t broken my own rules, but I have checked my length. It looked so close to APL at a quick glance, I couldn’t resist. But, I didn’t measure and I didn’t take a photo so technically I’m not an utter failure :)

I’ve had migraines aplenty recently and have had to wear my hair down all the time for the last couple of weeks. It makes it much harder to forget about the length.

For me not checking is easy bc my next milestone (knee) is a long way off. I expect it's more challenging when your milestones come quickly and you're eager to note that progress.

Yes I agree, it’s harder when you’re much closer to a milestone, especially the last inch or so. My milestones don’t come quickly at all but it doesn’t bother me until I’m closing in on the next one.

Arciela
September 24th, 2019, 08:06 AM
I stopped measuring years ago and stopped caring about the length entirely. However I still do take photos of it, not for the length but to see how it looks. I also check the mirror to make sure it looks decent so while I don't care about the length at all...I cant join :(

Its nice though to not really care at all anymore..I do think this is a great idea! :flower:

Lady Stardust
September 24th, 2019, 08:11 AM
I stopped measuring years ago and stopped caring about the length entirely. However I still do take photos of it, not for the length but to see how it looks. I also check the mirror to make sure it looks decent so while I don't care about the length at all...I cant join :(

Its nice though to not really care at all anymore..I do think this is a great idea! :flower:

I’m envious :) I would love to be so relaxed about it!

I’ve officially failed even by my rules now...I had to measure and take length shots because APL is so tantalisingly close. I’m there with wet hair, stretched, but around an inch away dry and my usual texture.

Begemot
September 25th, 2019, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure if I failed this challenge... I was showering and could feel some shed hair lingering from my ends and down my back. I reached back to pick them out and at the same time kind of felt up my ends and tried to visualize where they reach atm :laugh:

Simpscone
September 26th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Tentatively joining on the Easy Mode...

I'll measure at the end of September, and then I'm going to try and ignore it until Christmas! I'll be getting a trim around then and I should be creeping up on BSL so it will be a nice surprise!

Begemot
September 30th, 2019, 02:07 AM
One month and five days to go. I was thinking I should start another easy mode challenge after this one is over but I'd also really like to post in the one year of growth thread in December. And then I should start to be pretty close to BSL and I imagine I will be checking quite a lot, so I'll get to update my stats and graduate threads asap lol.

Estrid
September 30th, 2019, 02:25 AM
I think I will exit this challenge, it's not doing it for me. I think my issue is that I should try to do more with my hair, not less, I need to start enjoying it, wearing my hair toys, take photos of updos etc. Length shots or just shots of it down were the only ones I took before, and now, without those, it's like I'm not growing my hair out at all, like I've forgotten about it ... so yeah, I'm out.

Begemot
September 30th, 2019, 02:27 AM
I think I will exit this challenge, it's not doing it for me. I think my issue is that I should try to do more with my hair, not less, I need to start enjoying it, wearing my hair toys, take photos of updos etc. Length shots or just shots of it down were the only ones I took before, and now, without those, it's like I'm not growing my hair out at all, like I've forgotten about it ... so yeah, I'm out.

That sounds understandable, gotta do what makes you and your hair happy! :thumbsup:

S&S
October 1st, 2019, 04:01 PM
I'm going to try to measure once every 2 months, instead of once a month - at least then I'll have more of a concrete measurement haha.

So, I won't be measuring until Dec 1st :run:

CuteCrow
October 1st, 2019, 11:44 PM
I'm joining the easy mode too. I feel like I've been too obsessed with my growth lately and this is going to help me. Yesterday I checked my growth and will not do it again until January. Happy growing!

Simpscone
October 3rd, 2019, 04:11 AM
I actually forgot to measure my hair at the end of September... I guess I'll just see how long I can go without checking it :lol:

blackgothicdoll
October 4th, 2019, 07:08 AM
I guess I'll check into the challenge I started >.>

I did a sporadic chop of around 2.5 inches two weeks ago, after straightening my hair. I only want to cut when I straighten because my dyed/damaged ends feel like hay. These days I only resist straightening because I don't want to end up back a chin... blah.

Anyhow, still mad at myself as I'm back to a little below APL, and BSL is like half a mile for me so i needed every inch I could get. So I'm starting back, no LC for 3 months :meditate:

Andthetalltrees
October 4th, 2019, 08:27 PM
This is where I have been for the last 7 months, Can I tell you how freeing it is to not worry about checking my hair ALL the time? It's grown the exact rate I assumed it would too which even more makes me feel like it doesn't need me to worry about it. I mean I'm excited for waist again but I know it won't grow ANY faster if I want it to or not, So I'll see it in early 2020 when I predict it'll reach waist.

Begemot
October 5th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Exactly one month left for me. I was so tempted to do a length check today at my mother's place. She has better lighting and mirrors so I prefer to check my length in her bathroom. I'm planning to take my second pic for the yearly progress thread there but that's in December.

LittleHealthy
October 5th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I'll join, easy mode, and not check until the end of this year. There, it's done!

Begemot
October 11th, 2019, 10:16 AM
How's everyone doing? :)

I really shouldn't be counting days but... 25 days to go.

Cg
October 11th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I've no idea how long it's been, either since joining this thread or checking length. I noticed when it passed FTL only bc it was suddenly much more difficult to comb and braid, and the ends tangle tangle tangle. I doff my snood to those of you who have milestones soon and still haven't checked.

blackgothicdoll
October 11th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Well I made it 23 days. I'm 3.5 inches away from BSL, in case anyone is wondering :lol:

Again! Til new years I swear :whip:

Panthera
October 12th, 2019, 01:25 AM
4 months to go. I'm feeling very confident now and I know I can do it. It took two months to get rid of the habbit of randomly checking my hair from mirrors. I no longer feel the need to do it and it's great! Now I'm just excited how my hair will look after 6 months. A bit nervous too, what if it hasn't grown at all?

A few people had checked their hair accidentally, maybe we could have a penalty round instead of having to quit the challenge? :D

Begemot
October 12th, 2019, 01:54 AM
Well I made it 23 days. I'm 3.5 inches away from BSL, in case anyone is wondering :lol:

Again! Til new years I swear :whip:

You can do it! :thumbsup:

4 months to go. I'm feeling very confident now and I know I can do it. It took two months to get rid of the habbit of randomly checking my hair from mirrors. I no longer feel the need to do it and it's great! Now I'm just excited how my hair will look after 6 months. A bit nervous too, what if it hasn't grown at all?

A few people had checked their hair accidentally, maybe we could have a penalty round instead of having to quit the challenge? :D

Part of me daydreams about sudden growth spurt during this challenge and part of me is certain that my hair hasn't actually grown at all :lol:

I support the idea of having a penalty round. What does the creator of the challenge think? :D

Sarahlabyrinth
October 12th, 2019, 02:17 AM
I'm looking forward to checking mine on the last day of the year!

blackgothicdoll
October 12th, 2019, 06:25 AM
You can do it! :thumbsup:

Part of me daydreams about sudden growth spurt during this challenge and part of me is certain that my hair hasn't actually grown at all :lol:

I support the idea of having a penalty round. What does the creator of the challenge think? :D

Oh yes of course! By penalty round, do we mean not having to start over? I could use that myself...LOL.

Nobody ever HAS to quit the challenge though. It's more about working to break the habit of obsession so really, as long as it takes :o

Begemot
October 12th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Penalty round could mean you'd have to add one week, for example, to your challenge time if you do check your length ( :wail: ).

Panthera
October 13th, 2019, 12:56 AM
I was thinking something like.. If you do the challenge for a month, you would have to extend the challenge for a week as a penalty. For two months it could be two weeks etc. Or something like that. The penalty round would be longer or shorter depending which mode you're doing.
Of course no one has to quit but people wouldn't have to feel discouraged and feel like they've ruined the challenge and start all over after one accidental length check. :)

LittleHealthy
October 13th, 2019, 03:25 AM
I'd really like to join in here. Though my current paranoia is that my hair isn't growing, so I feel like I would check!! I would like to check at the end of the year. I compulsively used to check and photograph monthly. That was great for a while but now my hair is longer, It's less important to me to document the growth month-to-month. Seasonal checks or 6 monthly etc I might be able to stick to!

Hot tip: SO I've just put my measuring tape out in my partner's workshop. I'm not going to bother to go out there and get it. I might ask him to put it away where I won't see it, too. Seems extreme but oh well :-D

I'll check mine at the end of December (easy mode). That way I can keep my yearly documentation.

blackgothicdoll
October 13th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Penalty round could mean you'd have to add one week, for example, to your challenge time if you do check your length ( :wail: ).

I was thinking something like.. If you do the challenge for a month, you would have to extend the challenge for a week as a penalty. For two months it could be two weeks etc. Or something like that. The penalty round would be longer or shorter depending which mode you're doing.
Of course no one has to quit but people wouldn't have to feel discouraged and feel like they've ruined the challenge and start all over after one accidental length check. :)

Sounds good! I'll add this to the OP this evening.

Begemot
October 13th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I'd really like to join in here. Though my current paranoia is that my hair isn't growing, so I feel like I would check!! I would like to check at the end of the year. I compulsively used to check and photograph monthly. That was great for a while but now my hair is longer, It's less important to me to document the growth month-to-month. Seasonal checks or 6 monthly etc I might be able to stick to!

Hot tip: SO I've just put my measuring tape out in my partner's workshop. I'm not going to bother to go out there and get it. I might ask him to put it away where I won't see it, too. Seems extreme but oh well :-D

I'll check mine at the end of December (easy mode). That way I can keep my yearly documentation.

Good luck, you got this :thumbsup:

Ylva
October 13th, 2019, 12:43 PM
I am pondering on whether I should join for the rest of the year or not. It wouldn't be exactly 3 months anymore but I don't know where else to go for something like this, either. At least here, I'd have like-minded support!

It's not so much the length that I'm worried about but thinning. If it wasn't for my current TE shedding, I'd join, but I think I want to take monthly-or-so pics just to see how my ends are holding.

I'll have to meditate on this for a bit.

Panthera
October 13th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I'd really like to join in here. Though my current paranoia is that my hair isn't growing, so I feel like I would check!!

You can do it! I think I'm at false terminal, constantly checking the length and seeing zero growth made me very anxious and worried. This challenge has already helped a lot, I can forget about the growth (or the lack of it) for a while. It doesn't really even bother me that much right now. :surprise:

Caribbean_girl
October 13th, 2019, 09:23 PM
I love this one, I’m in! Last time I checked was a week ago. I’m gonna have to go for easy mode since my birthday is in 3 months 😂

renaatijs
October 14th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Oh God , this could be real difficult, sometimes I wonder if my hair would grow faster if I wouldn't check the length all the time, you know, watched pot never boils :D

zashin66
October 14th, 2019, 03:35 AM
I am going to join. So last time i measured was Oct 2. I will pick easy because it's easy(baahahaha). So January second will be my next measure day. Right now I'm lost between classic, midthigh, and knee length.

Begemot
October 14th, 2019, 04:19 AM
Since there was talk about rules already... is it okay to adjust the time period of one's challenge? There's 3, 6 and 12 months but for example, for my next challenge I already know I can't commit to even easy mode 3 months (I think I already mentioned here that I'll be doing a one year of growth post in December and my current challenge ends in the beginning of next month). So I could do 1 month and 20 days. Or should we agree that everyone should pick one of the already established modes (and I'll start another challenge after the current one and just take the penalty in December) :confused:

blackgothicdoll
October 14th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Since there was talk about rules already... is it okay to adjust the time period of one's challenge? There's 3, 6 and 12 months but for example, for my next challenge I already know I can't commit to even easy mode 3 months (I think I already mentioned here that I'll be doing a one year of growth post in December and my current challenge ends in the beginning of next month). So I could do 1 month and 20 days. Or should we agree that everyone should pick one of the already established modes (and I'll start another challenge after the current one and just take the penalty in December) :confused:

I think it that case it would just make more sense to just take a penalty since it's just one check and almost 2/3rds through the challenge. May as well hold onto that momentum and take it up to three months. I have no problem with custom time frames, but if they can be 'tweaked' into the modes, it makes sense to me to do that. :)

Begemot
October 14th, 2019, 07:00 AM
I think it that case it would just make more sense to just take a penalty since it's just one check and almost 2/3rds through the challenge. May as well hold onto that momentum and take it up to three months. I have no problem with custom time frames, but if they can be 'tweaked' into the modes, it makes sense to me to do that. :)

Agreed :) I think I'll do another 3 month challenge, so from 5th of November to 5th of February + the penalty of three weeks making 26th of February the next length check day.

Begemot
October 22nd, 2019, 02:42 AM
I have exactly two weeks to go. I wasn't obsessing in the beginning but now I'm just itching to check my hair :justy:

blackgothicdoll
October 22nd, 2019, 10:28 AM
I have exactly two weeks to go. I wasn't obsessing in the beginning but now I'm just itching to check my hair :justy:

Lol. Well you made it this far - you can do it! :cheer:

Begemot
October 22nd, 2019, 11:31 AM
Lol. Well you made it this far - you can do it! :cheer:

Yup, came too far to give up now... How's everyone else doing? Am I the only one counting days :laugh:

lapis_lazuli
October 23rd, 2019, 06:16 PM
Interesting thread! I've seldom thought about my hair for over a year and definitely haven't checked it. It's too hard to measure myself now so I don't bother anymore. I don't know how many inches I've grown, but it's just kept going - a year ago I was at knee, and now I'm solid calf-length.
This has to be the best strategy - watched hair never grows ;) Good luck everyone.

Begemot
October 29th, 2019, 02:36 AM
One week to go! Then I'll get to check my length and take a picture for the photoshop thread. I can also assess my next year's length goals better.

Xlena
October 29th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Last time I checked my length was 5 months ago when I cut off the hair dye xD I have no idea if I reached WL yet or not, but I'll join and wait for the 6th month to check :D

Panthera
October 29th, 2019, 02:55 AM
Long winter jacket saved me from an accidental length check. My hair was down and I saw my reflection from a window and looked at myself. I couldn't see the actual length because the jacket covers my butt and reaches to my thighs. I turned my head away quickly, without the jacket I would have seen. Evil windows, trying to mess with my challenge. :scared:

Begemot
October 29th, 2019, 03:09 AM
Long winter jacket saved me from an accidental length check. My hair was down and I saw my reflection from a window and looked at myself. I couldn't see the actual length because the jacket covers my butt and reaches to my thighs. I turned my head away quickly, without the jacket I would have seen. Evil windows, trying to mess with my challenge. :scared:

Quick save! No penalty for you lol ;)

Begemot
November 5th, 2019, 03:05 AM
My first easy mode challenge is over :cheese: I'm not entirely sure if I'll start another one right away, I might be checking my length for couple of days before that. Good luck and lots of patience for everyone still doing this challenge! :blossom:

Panthera
November 18th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Checking in, I'm halfway through, 3 months done, 3 to go. Congratulations to Begemot for completing the challenge. :thumbsup:

Begemot
November 18th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Thanks Panthera! And congrats to you for being half way there :)

Agava
November 20th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking about to join this challenge officially after I reach APL, probably within few weeks ( I did reach it at the beginning of November, but I didn't like how my hemline looked so I trimmed my hair a bit). But, to join this challenge, first I would like to ask something.
I understand the part about not taking a photo, but, not checking...Do you mean not checking at all ? How is that possible? I'm not sure how could I make myself resist that, but I may try if you guys say what IS allowed, lol

Cg
November 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I'm thinking about to join this challenge officially after I reach APL, probably within few weeks ( I did reach it at the beginning of November, but I didn't like how my hemline looked so I trimmed my hair a bit). But, to join this challenge, first I would like to ask something.
I understand the part about not taking a photo, but, not checking...Do you mean not checking at all ? How is that possible? I'm not sure how could I make myself resist that, but I may try if you guys say what IS allowed, lol

You can't help seeing when you're washing or styling your hair, but this challenge is more to do with not trying to determine length measurements or body markers, nor looking for signs of growth.

blackgothicdoll
November 20th, 2019, 11:33 AM

You can't help seeing when you're washing or styling your hair, but this challenge is more to do with not trying to determine length measurements or body markers, nor looking for signs of growth.

Exactly. Anything other than 'typical observation'. We understand we all have mirrors in our homes and such. :o

Panthera
November 20th, 2019, 01:12 PM

For me looking is fine as long as I can't see how long my hair is, where does it reach. So looking at my hair from the side or behind is absolutely forbidden. Front is fine, I can't determine the length there. I've been doing side braids a lot, I can't even accidentally check because the braid is in the front so it's a nice safe hairstyle. :D

Agava
November 20th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Ok, thanks for all answers.

How do I check the length is: I measure the length with a tape, and I also check where does my longest strand reach on my back, (shirtless. My moles are my body markers).
If I take a look at my hair at home when I'm dressed, or in the mirror in elevator, or anywhere else, I really don't count that as a measuring. It's more like checking in a way to see if everything is ok or just having a free moment to examine: hemline, colour, form, frizz, waves, how it falls...And with that, I maybe even see the length, but I do not pay attention, because I always say it isn't the real picture if I don't do the checking at home, seeing my body markers.

I think I'm not ready to give up the checking completely, in a way that you do, but if I skip the measuring, would that be enough?
Anyway, I'll skip the measuring on 1st December, to test myself if I can do it. :D

Panthera
November 20th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Sounds good, if you only check by measuring with a tape, there's no need to stop doing other things. :) I rarely measure with a tape, I do or used to do a lot of visual measuring/checking so I had to set very strict rules. It does bother me a bit not being able to make sure my hair looks good from the back. I had this one day at work when I had a regular braid and people were commenting about it so much "omg your braid looks so big! Oh wow it looks so long, your hair has grown so much" etc and I wasn't allowed to look at it and see what was so special about it. :surprise: Maybe there wasn't anything special, people are just used to seeing my short sneaky side braid.

BethiBerries
November 20th, 2019, 04:29 PM
I rarely check the growth of my hair, appart from looking at selfies. So I'm going to go out on a whim and try the expert level. Hopefully for the next 12 months everything goes to plan, although I highly doubt im going to have time with the subjects I'm taking next year at school.

Agava
November 26th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Sounds good, if you only check by measuring with a tape, there's no need to stop doing other things. :) I rarely measure with a tape, I do or used to do a lot of visual measuring/checking so I had to set very strict rules. It does bother me a bit not being able to make sure my hair looks good from the back. I had this one day at work when I had a regular braid and people were commenting about it so much "omg your braid looks so big! Oh wow it looks so long, your hair has grown so much" etc and I wasn't allowed to look at it and see what was so special about it. :surprise: Maybe there wasn't anything special, people are just used to seeing my short sneaky side braid.

I had to think a lot about this no check length challenge, and still, I think it isn't for me because I really want to see and follow how my hair grows. Especially, I want to follow how my bangs grow ( I cut a lot recently). No chance that I'm capable of not taking photos and not compare them for the whole 3 months. That's me, but I wish all of you success in this challenge. :blossom:

CuteCrow
December 5th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Came here to say that I failed miserably this challenge. Checked my hair just one month after I started and kept checking it afterwards. But I also realised that even if I check my growth is more for recording purposes and not like I'm obsesing over the growth anymore. So I think I'm not going to try it again, at least not right now.

Untressed
December 5th, 2019, 10:14 PM
I only measure by looking in a mirror. Does that count?

lunalocks
December 6th, 2019, 12:29 PM
still haven't measured. Been over a year I'm sure. I do notice I am finally BELOW knee after hovering just above knee for more than a year.

blackgothicdoll
December 26th, 2019, 01:00 PM
I almost forgot I was doing this :o Technically I can do a length check in two weeks, but I'll see if I can add on three more months to it. I've been obsessing over using up my stash more than length at this point xD

Bat
October 7th, 2020, 07:40 AM
I just chopped off bleach damage ends so I'm back with mid neck, joining here until the end of the year, I focus way too much on my hair, time to let it do what hair do so easy mode!

Begemot
October 7th, 2020, 08:46 AM
Hey thanks for getting this thread to the front page again, Bat! I'm also doing this challenge until end of the year :thumbsup:

bokeh
October 7th, 2020, 09:01 AM
I just chopped off bleach damage ends so I'm back with mid neck, joining here until the end of the year, I focus way too much on my hair, time to let it do what hair do so easy mode!When I first started growing I felt a bit obsessed with growth too. Measuring less often is helpful. The really good news is that as my hair started to get to a length I liked (for me around mid back) I started to be comfortable with it and enjoyed the new growth in a more carefree and enjoyable way.

luluj
October 7th, 2020, 10:21 AM
I measured recently and was at 18 1/2 inches. Due to the fact that I need help to measure, lol, I will join this challenge and go for six months without measuring. Not sure this will get me to APL, but hey, it will surely be longer and I will surely be pleased!

Bat
October 7th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Hey thanks for getting this thread to the front page again, Bat! I'm also doing this challenge until end of the year :thumbsup:
Yay good luck I know I'll need it, lol

When I first started growing I felt a bit obsessed with growth too. Measuring less often is helpful. The really good news is that as my hair started to get to a length I liked (for me around mid back) I started to be comfortablewith it and enjoyed the new growth in a more carefree and enjoyable way.
I didn't want to stress about progress I had already stressed about prior to my trim, time to let it Grow.

I measured recently and was at 18 1/2 inches. Due to the fact that I need help to measure, lol, I will join this challenge and go for six months without measuring. Not sure this will get me to APL, but hey, it will surely be longer and I will surely be pleased!

Good luck! Hope you reach your APL goal before the 6 months

Vacurlylady
October 7th, 2020, 05:03 PM
When I first started growing I felt a bit obsessed with growth too. Measuring less often is helpful. The really good news is that as my hair started to get to a length I liked (for me around mid back) I started to be comfortable with it and enjoyed the new growth in a more carefree and enjoyable way.

Oh my! I was the queen of obsessing over my length at the beginning as well when growing out my pixie. Once it got to a certain length, maybe when I could keep it up, I forgot about it.

Jane99
October 7th, 2020, 05:21 PM
I will join easy mode next month! I want to do a year before and after pic in November, and then want to length check in March because I think I’ll be around waist by then. But I like this concept! Maybe I’ll do a 6 month challenge after then.

sipnsun
October 7th, 2020, 07:03 PM
I'm going to try and remember to join this challenge after I reach my first major milestone (waist). I should be there by Christmas and I want to take pics so I will wait until after that. It will be good for me because I've been slightly obsessing over it for a while now and that will help tone it down! Plus, I'm considering monthly micro trims and it will be good to not see the stall on a measuring tape.

Bri-Chan
October 8th, 2020, 04:04 AM
I'm a bit obsessed with my (slow) growth. Probably I'll try this during the next no trim challenge.

SleepyTangles
October 8th, 2020, 06:28 AM
I'm in! :cheer:
I feel like I need this challenge in my life: easy mode, obv ;)
October, November, December... I guess I'll check again on the 1st day of 2021 :hmm:
Hope I can refrain from peeking :couch:

Bat
October 8th, 2020, 06:55 AM
October, November, December... I guess I'll check again on the 1st day of 2021 :hmm:

Good luck! That is my struggle too!

blackgothicdoll
January 2nd, 2021, 09:40 PM
Somebody somewhere asked about this and I immediately forgot who. Ah! Bumping for that person. I think I'm almost at a month in my typical three month wait.

RebekahE
January 3rd, 2021, 07:10 AM
Joining in. Yesterday was my last day to check my length. I'm in the no-trim first half of 2021, so I don't want to check my length until the end of that.

Bat
January 3rd, 2021, 08:43 AM
welp seems I will be taking monthly photos, testing some "hair growth" shampoos and conditioners, see if it works or its a massive hype, next year I think I'll be here more, when I pass apl my urge to check will lesson, there's something about pixie to cbl that makes one obsessed with tracking growth. happy growing to you all!~

SleepyTangles
January 7th, 2021, 07:10 AM

I failed as soon as I realized I got to APL! ;)
But it was nice, it eased a bit of pressure. The unwatched pot surely boils faster.

I think I will do it again: I'll keep the next length shot for the Spring Equinox!
Not sure if I can dust/microtrim my hair without checking my back though... We'll see :shrug:

Bat
January 7th, 2021, 08:34 AM
But it was nice, it eased a bit of pressure. The unwatched pot surely boils faster.

I think I will do it again: I'll keep the next length shot for the Spring Equinox!
Not sure if I can dust/microtrim my hair without checking my back though... We'll see :shrug:

I failed too, haha I'm a hopeless length checker, and I think you are allowed to look at your hair, just don't take a length photo or record how it's grown

Arciela
January 7th, 2021, 02:46 PM
I'm definitely joining this. I don't ever check my length. My hair kind of annoys me lately since my surgery and I just put it up and forget about it. Definitely in benign neglect mode.

sky-
January 7th, 2021, 08:20 PM

That's what happens to me! I'll go a while without checking and then once I do I'm obsessed lol

Zesty
January 8th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Somebody somewhere asked about this and I immediately forgot who. Ah! Bumping for that person. I think I'm almost at a month in my typical three month wait.

:waving: Twas me. Thank you!

I recorded my length and took photos on New Year's Eve and am hoping to avoid doing it again until April 1. Staying off social media and the perma-bun help. :wigtongue

AmaryllisRed
January 8th, 2021, 09:37 PM
:waving: Twas me. Thank you!

I recorded my length and took photos on New Year's Eve and am hoping to avoid doing it again until April 1. Staying off social media and the perma-bun help. :wigtongue

Gah, Zesty, I just came here to say the same thing!
I just did a length check on December 31, 2020, and I am going to try not to check again until April 1! We can do it!
:hifive:

forestwizard
January 8th, 2021, 11:05 PM
I'd like to join in! I've been really frustrated with how curly hair never seems to gain length, so maybe not thinking about it will help :).

it's currently short; right now if I stretch it the back almost hits my shoulder, and the top hits my chin. but just looking at my hair it makes a tight crown around my head.

I want to do the intermediate level to start, but aim for the expert ;). since it's really too short to properly measure, I'll stop stretching my hair to see how much it's grown. and I won't obsessively look at photos from months ago yo try and track my growth progress.

I don't know how this factors in, but I'll keep trying to do a full ponytail over the next few months, and celebrate when I can finally do one. otherwise, I'm gonna focus on keeping it healthy!

Zesty
January 9th, 2021, 05:25 PM
I just did a length check on December 31, 2020, and I am going to try not to check again until April 1! We can do it!

:hifive: Yeah! I'm doing the no trim challenge so I figured I'd allow myself a halfway point check-in. :)

Bri-Chan
January 11th, 2021, 05:44 AM
I've almost forgot about this challenge... So the last measure was around a week ago. I hope to not measure in about 6 months or so...

FaeBroom
January 11th, 2021, 03:04 PM
I decided today to join this challenge on intermediate mode! I'm in no-trim for the first half of 2021 as well, and I want to genuinely baby my hair and keep it up in *neat* protective styles- hopefully not checking to see if it grew 15 times a day every day. So heres to not measuring until June 30th 🍻

blackgothicdoll
January 14th, 2021, 10:53 PM
I've shifted my focus toward losing weight thanks to covid-19 pounds. I'm hoping my newly enlightened diet will help my hair, but also that my renewed focus will shift my obsession with my hair over to some healthy weight loss instead. I'm 40 days down on my NLC, so in another 5 days I hope I have more inches on my head and less on my waist!

Zesty
January 24th, 2021, 09:20 AM
I realize it hasn't quite been a month but I've been very successful at this so far. I haven't even seen it full length from the front. For once it's a blessing that my bathroom mirror is way too high to see the ends of my hair. I have been known to take pictures almost daily so this is a big accomplishment. :p

AmaryllisRed
February 10th, 2021, 07:19 PM

I'm so weeeeeeaaaaak!
It's only early February. I wanna cheeeeeeck. I'm just convinced it's so much longer now!
I will never make it to April 1.

Bri-Chan
February 10th, 2021, 08:30 PM
I've almost forgot about this challenge... So the last measure was around a week ago. I hope to not measure in about 6 months or so...

I give up, I said to myself that once a month can't hurt.

blackgothicdoll
February 10th, 2021, 08:46 PM
I've got about three weeks to go.

Zesty
February 13th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Still going. April does feel terribly far away but I have resisted! At this point since I can't reach the ends and it doesn't often touch the backs of my legs, I can't tell if it's growing or not. (I assume it is but there's not a new feeling of it touching lower on my body. :shrug: )

I'm so weeeeeeaaaaak!
It's only early February. I wanna cheeeeeeck. I'm just convinced it's so much longer now!
I will never make it to April 1.

Noo haha hang in there! It is a rather ambitious goal though, for someone who is on a hair forum at least. :p

FaeBroom
February 13th, 2021, 05:48 PM
I've been tempted to measure, but unless my hair magically reached WL in the past month it won't be worth it to break the challenge 🙄.

ETA: Oh wow, I made it a month! Yay!

Bat
February 14th, 2021, 04:04 AM
I really need to be here it's going to be a good 2+ months to get to Shoulder for me

Eastbound&Down
February 28th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Ok, I did the math and I know that I won't meet my next goal until June. I need to not stress out about it so I've decided I'm not going to do any checks until June rolls around. I'm going to focus on some other mini goals in the meantime, perfecting some short hair protective styles and stretching my washes.

ArtOfNoot
February 28th, 2021, 01:00 PM
I have been doing this for a minute now.
It was tooooooootally on purpose and not because I'm lazy or bad with numbers. :lala:

I actually was able to see my progress because I waited. I literally stopped in the mirror and went "Woah, I think my hair got longer"

This feels similar to when I was a small kid and would think "I got taller" and would demand my mom to measure my height

ArtOfNoot
February 28th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Ok, I did the math and I know that I won't meet my next goal until June. I need to not stress out about it so I've decided I'm not going to do any checks until June rolls around. I'm going to focus on some other mini goals in the meantime, perfecting some short hair protective styles and stretching my washes.

That's so exciting!! Junes not that far away so the time will pass quickly. :D

Eastbound&Down
February 28th, 2021, 01:33 PM
That's so exciting!! Junes not that far away so the time will pass quickly. :D

One can hope!

zashin66
March 6th, 2021, 09:49 PM
Haven't checked is months...actually can't remember when I've checked with a measure tape....hope it is still growing.

Zesty
March 11th, 2021, 06:00 PM
It's beginning to look like I could actually make it to April 1 without looking at my hair full length in the mirror, let alone measuring. Who am I even. :lol:

I don't know if I would do the challenge version again, but it's been a great exercise for me.

AmaryllisRed
March 11th, 2021, 06:28 PM
It's beginning to look like I could actually make it to April 1 without looking at my hair full length in the mirror, let alone measuring. Who am I even. :lol:

I don't know if I would do the challenge version again, but it's been a great exercise for me.

Ha! Who indeed! :lol:
I don't *have* a mirror that big, so I can't even be tempted. :)
I am hoping after April 1 I won't check again until July or August.

Arciela
March 11th, 2021, 10:24 PM
I've been doing this for a very long time. I never measure my hair length and don't pay much attention to it.

However I do have to look at it in the mirror when styling it, and I see it when I check my outfit so that's not possible :flower:

Zesty
March 12th, 2021, 04:56 AM
Ha! Who indeed! :lol:
I don't *have* a mirror that big, so I can't even be tempted. :)
I am hoping after April 1 I won't check again until July or August.

We have two full-length mirrors but I would have to seek them out to look. Still I am surprised I can go so long without checking in a hand mirror. :lol:

I've been doing this for a very long time. I never measure my hair length and don't pay much attention to it.

However I do have to look at it in the mirror when styling it, and I see it when I check my outfit so that's not possible :flower:

When I style my hair I'm doing it in our bathroom mirror, which is rather high, so I don't see it much then. I never wear my hair down so I don't have to check its appearance in that state. I haven't been "counting" happening to see it when it's pulled over my shoulder or something, as long as I don't grab my hand mirror and look over my shoulder into the full length mirror or take a length photo.

It's probably a pipe dream to hope for visible growth, but it sure would be cool after ignoring it for a few months!

Eastbound&Down
March 13th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Struggling a bit, fighting the urge to check because I know it hasn't changed much.

Bat
March 14th, 2021, 05:06 AM
I really should join this topic I'm looking at my hair all the time and I'm getting discouraged I feel like it's gotten shorter not longer, I'll go measure it now and attempt not to check the length until April which is only a few weeks away surely I can last that long... I hope

xel
March 14th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Oh, this is a great idea! I will try for 6 months, so that's 15th September. Benign neglect has always worked on my hair. In fact I often forget when I last measured, so this sounds like a good way to record. I'm TBL as of today, hopefully I'll be halfway to classic by Sept.

Bat
March 15th, 2021, 02:09 AM
Oh, this is a great idea! I will try for 6 months, so that's 15th September. Benign neglect has always worked on my hair. In fact I often forget when I last measured, so this sounds like a good way to record. I'm TBL as of today, hopefully I'll be halfway to classic by Sept.

Congrats at reaching tbl!

AmaryllisRed
March 25th, 2021, 04:12 PM
One more week for me! I think I'm gonna make it!

SleepyTangles
March 26th, 2021, 08:16 AM
I will re-join as soon as I reach APL with damp hair.
I personally don't count the check I do when dusting as a real length check, is more like a "Gee, I hope I cut it straight across" kind of moment.

Zesty
March 26th, 2021, 06:01 PM
One more week for me! I think I'm gonna make it!

Me too! :hifive: We should be proud of ourselves! Though I am looking forward to looking at it again.

Zesty
April 1st, 2021, 05:39 PM
Made it! And almost forgot that the challenge was over. :) It's been really good for me, definitely got less challenging over time and made for some healthy benign neglect. :thumbsup:

truepeacenik
April 1st, 2021, 06:02 PM
I’ve been ignoring my length for a year. Do I qualify?

AmeerahKhanNot
April 1st, 2021, 09:29 PM
Hair grows the fastest when you're not thinking about it! I didn't think my hair would ever grow and then I stopped worrying about it and it magically became BCL :)

AmaryllisRed
April 1st, 2021, 10:15 PM
Made it! And almost forgot that the challenge was over. :) It's been really good for me, definitely got less challenging over time and made for some healthy benign neglect. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it got easier over time for me, too, surprisingly!
I was looking forward to finally checking length today but I didn't get a chance so... maybe tomorrow.

Bat
April 2nd, 2021, 03:20 AM
When I finally get to shoulder I think I'll attempt to not check it until cbl

LemonadeCandy
April 2nd, 2021, 04:21 AM
I'm going in for 3 months! I'm also in one of the measure-in threads, so I'll probably measure every 3 months? Not sure.
If I get to like the no-checking policy, I might prolong it to 6 months!

FaeBroom
April 2nd, 2021, 03:39 PM
I think I failed 3 months in and forgot to post! I did a length check/pics because I desperately wanted to officially move my milestone from SL+ to APL. I took some photos and called it, but I haven't really taken any length photos since then from sheer lack of time. I'm going to transition to a 'just don't obsess about it' challenge, I want to track my progress with a few photos when I can (:

hanne jensen
April 6th, 2021, 12:19 PM
I think that without realizing it I've been part of this group for a year or so. I haven't measured or checked out my length in the mirror, just made sure all my hair was up. Sometimes when my hair is down drying I get a holy moly, where'd that come from moment. Does this count? I'd like to join for another 6 months. Does noticing where the hair brushes the body count?

Eastbound&Down
April 6th, 2021, 12:59 PM
I think that without realizing it I've been part of this group for a year or so. I haven't measured or checked out my length in the mirror, just made sure all my hair was up. Sometimes when my hair is down drying I get a holy moly, where'd that come from moment. Does this count? I'd like to join for another 6 months. Does noticing where the hair brushes the body count?

No, I count specifically checking against body markers or taking pictures to track.

hanne jensen
April 7th, 2021, 12:39 AM
No, I count specifically checking against body markers or taking pictures to track.

Then I'm in for 6 months. Thank you for answering my question.

blackgothicdoll
April 10th, 2021, 12:35 AM

Nope! Regular observation doesn't count. Measuring, pictures, or doing whatever specific to you could be seen as an explicitly length check is what counts.

I.e for me, pulling out a curl and taking a picture of where it falls from behind is a length check. Noticing how far it falls while styling is not.

Bat
April 19th, 2021, 11:00 AM
yep I'm here until I get to CBL no measuring and no photos