PDA

View Full Version : too much shedding from Castor Oil - I am doing something wrong?

mazza
August 4th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Ive been told to get back into oiling my hair. Ive been speaking with a Nutritionist as shes been giving some great advise on healthy eating and its worked really.

She mentioned about applying Castor oil and Coconut mix. When I tried just coconut oil, shedding is normal like, 20-30.
However mixing in:
2x tablespoons of castor oil
1x tablespoon of coconut oil
Made my hair really shed a ton of hair. I left my overnight loose to let it soak in but, its horrific how much shedding was in the bathtub. I do massage it in but I dont know if theres a right or wrong of doing it?

I dont know if I am doing something wrong, if I should just stay away from castor oil altogther? As I always hear postives from using it :(

Kalamazoo
August 4th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Castor oil is VERY THICK. It makes my hair fall out, too, :hooched: unless it's diluted a whole bunch. I don't know the ratios.

However, don't panic! Most likely, the hairs that fell out were ready to go, anyway, being at the end of their telogen phase. Meaning, they've awakened from hibernation & re-entered anagen phase. So expect to see new little baby hairs sprouting from those same follicles. It's part of the process of how castor oil works. 30 hairs = not bad at all! :rockerdud

Oops. You said 20-30 hairs is normal for you. Using 2 Tblsp. castor oil made a lot more fall out, you said. Well, still don't worry; but I think I use like 1/4 tsp. castor oil or maybe just 1/8, mixed into about a cup of other oils & other ingredients. (I don't usually measure, so my numbers aren't precise.)

But still, don't worry. What you've done is very healthy, just a little too much healthy all at once. But really, it's not a problem.

mazza
August 4th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Cool, thanks for the super fast response :o
And thanks for the really helpful info too :)

Ligeia Noire
August 4th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Two table spoons of castor oil is way too much. It is a very dense and heavy oil. Use it sparingly. I usually add just a teaspoon to my masks or massage it with two tablespoons of jojoba on my scalp and it's been fine. I think, the amount you're using is the reason. However, some people's scalps cannot tolerate oils and it causes shedding. Beware.

MusicalSpoons
August 4th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I was going to say that for some people, just the extra manipulation causes extra shedding (it does for me, even if I just use dry fingertips) but then I reread your post and you said with coconut oil it was normal. The only thing I can think of is the mix was too thick and pulled out hairs that were almost ready to shed (i.e. had stopped growing but not quite reached the point of falling)? Not sure. I agree that your best bet is to try a more diluted mix to see if that helps :)

blackgothicdoll
August 4th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Yeah castor oil is like maple syrup I don't bother with it unless it's diluted in a mask or other oil. When I used it by itself, I touched it on my fingertips and then massaged my scalp. So that's a very small amount.

Also, I'm not sure how often you do this and wash it out but if you leave it on for a few days that could cause issues too. Washing out the next morning or after a few hours is ideal.

Tinyponies
August 5th, 2019, 05:42 AM
It’s my understanding that castor oil encourages body tissues to contract, hence why it’s so effective as a packing oil, particularly over the liver.

Perhaps it could be that this same contracting effect could pop out any hairs that were sitting there finished but not yet shed?

lapushka
August 5th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Some people just shed more when oil is applied to the scalp, but you didn't seem to have it with the coconut oil on its own, so that theory's apparently out.

I would dilute it heavily. Castor oil is very viscous, thick, goopy, at least 50/50 is still a lot if you don't need it for balding patches or so.

Maybe try a tablespoon in a 50 or 100ml bottle.

And why does it "have" to be castor oil, anyway?

Any natural oil will do just fine. Why not just use the coconut oil?

The-Young-Maid
August 5th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Why is a nutritionist telling you what to put on your scalp/hair???

If you keep shedding so much even after diluting the castor oil I would stop using it immediately. Go back to coconut oil since you seemed fine with it.

I'm one of those people who can't oil my scalp at all. It thinned my hair bad. Anything that's good for you shouldn't make you shed.

Do you even need to oil your scalp? Why not just oil the lengths? Try just massaging your scalp dry, that will stimulate blood flow without any shedding from oils.

mazza
August 5th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Oh wow, thanks for all the responses :D

I guess the first reason is, why did my nutritionist ask to do this? I think its something that they asked me to do. I tell them about the shedding before I even posted this here and they said to ease up on the sollution but information on applying castor oil is all over the place. And what I should have done before this all kicked off was to post on here first but it sounded like a simple a thing to do. And I was like: "How hard can it be?" well, we all know the answer to that now? ;)

I apply the mix around at night time about 10pm and leave it on until the next morning to wash it off around 11am in the morning. So a good 12+ hour of absorption.

I guess the reason why I choose castor oil was the huge benifet people were seeing from applying castor oil. But like most people have menention on here, it could be due to the scalp massage then anything.

My reason to go on castor oil was, to get more new hair growths. As my front bangs are starting to show signs of thinning. But my new diet has helped sort out the crown area a bit which I am really glad its worked in some way :)

I am a still a newbie on the dilution part. If put two tablespoons of coconut oil, do put just a teaspoon in now? Or should just apply coconut oil on my scalp and then put small amounts of castor oil on my finger tips?

lapushka
August 5th, 2019, 03:57 PM
I am a still a newbie on the dilution part. If put two tablespoons of coconut oil, do put just a teaspoon in now? Or should just apply coconut oil on my scalp and then put small amounts of castor oil on my finger tips?

If you are "only" using 2 tablespoons of CO, then 1 teaspoon of castor is probably more than good enough.

And you don't have to leave it on overnight - at all.

You can leave it in 10-30min. then wash it out!

Are you lacking nutrients, that you're going to a nutritionist for? Because lacking things like iron is *major* for thinning, and no oil is going to solve that issue!

Have you been to a doctor?

mazza
August 6th, 2019, 06:09 AM
If you are "only" using 2 tablespoons of CO, then 1 teaspoon of castor is probably more than good enough.

And you don't have to leave it on overnight - at all.

You can leave it in 10-30min. then wash it out!

Are you lacking nutrients, that you're going to a nutritionist for? Because lacking things like iron is *major* for thinning, and no oil is going to solve that issue!

Have you been to a doctor?

Thanks for the response again.

I did go to a doctor for a full blood test at the start of the year. It all came back ok. Vitamin D was some what low but not bad. But, I initially took Vitamin D drops but my nutritionist encourage me to go out more often. Even just for a small walk which I now do. I am very indoors person. So I dont take Vitamin D drops now but will go back on them temporarily near the winter period.

Well, for the last few months Ive been working with my nutritionist on what is lacking in nutrient. I made a diary on what I was eating. We made small fixes like, cutting junk food but leaving it for a cheat day but not go too crazy on that day. I be very honest, the diet change worked really. Its more about eating correctly then just starving yourself. I use to get very sick everytime I use to exercise but now, I can workout twice a week and still feel amazing. Intake of proper Vitamin C from fruits and veg has helped a lot to my immune system. I get most of my Iron from food and reguarly eating nuts which is consistent and not just once a week.
I think because I had a lot of problems with my health, I think personally its going take some time to see some results on my scalp. But Iam defo seeing areas improved in my body that were thinning to now seeing new hair growths in the last few months like: eye brows(not an area I was focusing on but its a bonus), beard, body hair(Iam literally seeing new baby hairs come out from no where), etc.

I am not taking any medicines or tablets. Most of it is from food now. Hope this little info helps anyone else in need of help.

MusicalSpoons
August 6th, 2019, 02:22 PM
In the UK it's almost impossible to get sufficient vitamin D from the sun even to maintain levels, let alone increase them. Not that you shouldn't go out more often, but any effect is likely to be making you feel better mentally without actually raising your levels - it's a useful effect if so, but if you still want to raise your vitamin D level you need something else as well :)

lapushka
August 6th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the response again.

I did go to a doctor for a full blood test at the start of the year. It all came back ok. Vitamin D was some what low but not bad. But, I initially took Vitamin D drops but my nutritionist encourage me to go out more often. Even just for a small walk which I now do. I am very indoors person. So I dont take Vitamin D drops now but will go back on them temporarily near the winter period.

Well, for the last few months Ive been working with my nutritionist on what is lacking in nutrient. I made a diary on what I was eating. We made small fixes like, cutting junk food but leaving it for a cheat day but not go too crazy on that day. I be very honest, the diet change worked really. Its more about eating correctly then just starving yourself. I use to get very sick everytime I use to exercise but now, I can workout twice a week and still feel amazing. Intake of proper Vitamin C from fruits and veg has helped a lot to my immune system. I get most of my Iron from food and reguarly eating nuts which is consistent and not just once a week.
I think because I had a lot of problems with my health, I think personally its going take some time to see some results on my scalp. But Iam defo seeing areas improved in my body that were thinning to now seeing new hair growths in the last few months like: eye brows(not an area I was focusing on but its a bonus), beard, body hair(Iam literally seeing new baby hairs come out from no where), etc.

I am not taking any medicines or tablets. Most of it is from food now. Hope this little info helps anyone else in need of help.

You're welcome!

That your blood came back for no deficiencies is great in and of itself (vit. D can be easily added on if you want, should you want), but I'm glad the nutritionist is helping get your healthy eating on track! Good luck!

CathelinaNicole
August 6th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I read an article about how too much oiling can clog follicles and cause fall out. Also, castor oil is thick and needs to be really diluted. Reduce oil treatments or the length of time they're on your scalp and dilute castor oil more.

mazza
August 7th, 2019, 07:55 AM
In the UK it's almost impossible to get sufficient vitamin D from the sun even to maintain levels, let alone increase them. Not that you shouldn't go out more often, but any effect is likely to be making you feel better mentally without actually raising your levels - it's a useful effect if so, but if you still want to raise your vitamin D level you need something else as well :)

Ha, exactly. Its cant be a UK summer without having to see rain every hour ;)

You're welcome!

That your blood came back for no deficiencies is great in and of itself (vit. D can be easily added on if you want, should you want), but I'm glad the nutritionist is helping get your healthy eating on track! Good luck!

Thank you :)

milosmomma
August 7th, 2019, 12:51 PM
I dont think you need to give up on the castor oil just yet. It does serve as beneficial for many people and maybe you just need to figure out how to make it work best for you. How about just applying it to your problems areas you mentioned and not the whole scalp? You mentioned the bang area, maybe just lightly apply it there and maybe around your temples and "edges". It is true that many people shed more from any oil or even conditioner on the scalp, but if coconut oil was ok for you in the past then I am thinking you just need to dilute more and maybe cut down the soaking time. Maybe just apply for an hour before wash? I wish you luck and happy growing :)