PDA

View Full Version : Hair compliment maybe stalled haircut:-)

QueenMadge
November 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I had my mammogram this morning. The radiology tech was in her late forties/early fifties and had lovely waist length straight blonde hair that was pulled back from her face with two barrettes but otherwise hung free. Just before leaving I said to her "I don't want you to think I'm weird but I just have to say your hair is lovely and it is really nice that you haven't succumbed to the cut your hair because of your age push", she responded "Thank you", and she had been thinking about cutting it because of all the little old ladies she saw with short grey ponytails, she didn't want that to be her in twenty years, she said that because of my compliment she would hold off on cutting it and hang in there with longer hair a while longer.:p

It really was lovely, she had a small amount of silver right around her temple area but the rest was a lovely pale wheat color.

Margot

Xandergrammy
November 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
What a treat! And how nice of you to say something to her. I approached a woman at a training a few years ago who had hair that sounds very similar to "your" lady. Good for you. :thumbsup:

Carolyn
November 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
How nice of you to say something to her. So many of us would be afraid to, for fear of looking strange or stalkerish. So many times I'd love to hand out a compliment but I don't for fear of what the person will think. I'm not used to starting a conversation with a stranger as I am not used to strangers doing the same with me. I hope she'll think about what you said to her and keep her hair. It's such a shame that women (and men) who love their long hair feel that have to cut so that they don't have a poodle head or the short gray ponytail as you describe. Lots of the older women around here are giving up their poodle perms for disasters that are almost crew cuts :scared:

ChloeDharma
November 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Oh i'm really glad you did that. I love giving people compliments...it usually takes them by surprise but they usually get a big grin on their face, more people should do it i think :)

embee
November 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I've found that most people are pleased by a positive comment. I mean, you'd say "nice sweater" with no problem, you can say "nice hair" too. Think of all the comments they likely get about "you're too old for long hair, you should cut that, you look like a hippie, you think you're fifteen?" ... and how reassuring it must be to hear "Nice Hair!" even from a stranger.

Maybe it helps to be a little old lady.... there's a lot to be said for age! :) Get away with murder, we can.

Jessikinz
November 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Awwe that was nice of you to say that to her. :)

Curlsgirl
November 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Good for you! I think it's mostly in the way you say it. I tell people that pretty often but then I am not shy at all. I always get a nice smile and have had older women tell me pretty often that they feel they need to cut because of their age. I love encouraging them not to. :cheese: