PDA

View Full Version : Is this sebum? I guess I do need help

Beckstar
July 30th, 2019, 09:17 PM
I've only been water washing since I buzzed my hair, before I cowashed 1-2 times a week. My hair feels waxy and gunky. I wet my hair, massage my scalp well with my nails, and I rinse. I scritch each night before bed. It's been a long time since I've had hair this short but I don't remember it being like this before.

ETA: same kind of water that I've been bathing with for the last 3 years so that hasn't changed.

My hair is normal to dry, never been greasy.

technowitch
July 30th, 2019, 09:30 PM
I have super fine, wavy hair that is both frizzy AND greasy: both of these issues didn't become present until my early 20's. I tried going no poo because I wanted to see if I could accomplish the hair perfection people talk about all the time when they preach the wonders of no poo. My hair was so disgusting. It was still frizzy and horribly greasy. It looked like it was going to start falling out in chunks and CRUNCHED every time I brushed/combed it. No amount of scritching or massaging helped.

It made me believe that the no poo thing is not intended for greasy, fine hair. I've read lots of articles of people who went no poo who CLAIMED they have greasy hair and that their hair stopped producing oil after some time on no poo. I don't consider one's hair greasy if it doesn't start becoming that way until day three of no washing. Try, within the same wash day. I think the no poo method only works for people with super dry scalps that produce practically no oil. BUT, that's just my opinion based on what I've read and experienced personally. So, I could be wrong about all that...

EdG
July 30th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Water-only washed hair will look and feel somewhat oily. Whether this is acceptable is up to you.

Combing may produce a small amount of fine powder (waxy sebum). There should not be clumps ("scalp gunk" - a mixture of waxy sebum and lint). I suspect that you don't have a build-up problem.
Ed

Panthera
July 30th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Wo doesn't work for everyone, I tried it for a month or two and it was terrible, my hair was waxy and smelly and very disgusting. I think if you have thick waxy-like sebum instead of oily, water just isn't enough to remove it and it will create a nasty waxy build-up.

Tinyponies
July 30th, 2019, 11:37 PM
I do think that everyone’s sebum/mindset/health/diet/history/genetics/blabla will be different, so hard to make a guess about what exactly is going on for you. In naturopathy I was taught that the skin and the scalp in particular is a major outlet for whatever the body needs to get rid of (the skin is known as the third kidney) and I believe that’s one reason why people in a wo/so mode have extra feedback about how they’re doing. But unless you’re doing it for a while you’re not gonna be familiar with what’s normal for you.

Were you hoping to stay wo, or is this more about convenience while your hair is short?

Cool that you were good with 2x co wash a week. That’s one thing I’ve not yet tried. :)

lapushka
July 31st, 2019, 09:13 AM
I was SO for 2 weeks before I washed, and had to do it for a long period of time, because due to medical issues I could not wash the hair frequently. Back then I was washing 2 to even 3 times a week or just about. It knocked me over and gave me a massive case of SD (seborrheic dermatitis), not just a flare-up but: full-on. I guess it's not for me.

But WO should not be that bad when you aren't oily to begin with, I don't think?

Joules
July 31st, 2019, 09:58 AM
Why are you WO, may I ask? You have a buzzcut, whatever length hair you have doesn't require special care, you can just treat your scalp like you treat the rest of your body. I assume you do use soap on the rest of your body, why scalp should be different? WO isn't inherently healthier and it can cause problems in the long run.

lapushka
July 31st, 2019, 11:04 AM
Why are you WO, may I ask? You have a buzzcut, whatever length hair you have doesn't require special care, you can just treat your scalp like you treat the rest of your body. I assume you do use soap on the rest of your body, why scalp should be different? WO isn't inherently healthier and it can cause problems in the long run.

Maybe it's a good idea to give it a go, maybe she just wants to try it? :)
Why not?

I would try just about everything with hair that short! If my scalp was half-way decent and could behave under different circumstances. LOL!

Silica
July 31st, 2019, 11:59 AM
I'm trying WO on short hair too - just to see if I can handle the way it looks and feels. I know you have to give it time to see how your hair and scalp adjust, but I'm not sure it is for me long-term.

My hair is fine but I have a lot of it and after shampooing it is super fluffy unless I put tons of leave-in conditioner or oil on it (worse around the hairline so I have to oil/condition all the way up to the roots). That's the reason I wanted to give WO a go - to avoid the washday fluff!

That said, it does seem to get greasy and limp really quickly so at the moment I can only stretch a week between washes, and by then I am absolutely desperate to wash. I have just started adding in a rinse with a rosemary infusion and apple cider vinegar between washes, and it really helps my hair feel and smell bit fresher. We'll see how it goes

Beckstar
July 31st, 2019, 02:39 PM
Why am I doing it? Tbh, I've run out of shampoo and decided try give it a try. I take baths as necessary. My skin gets extremely irritated and often I'll use a washrag and soap (sponge bath). I'll hop in the tub if I'm extremely sweaty or gross. This is an experiment.

Kalamazoo
July 31st, 2019, 03:26 PM
I wonder if your scalp would like some witch hazel?

EdG
July 31st, 2019, 05:54 PM
I have been water-only for three years. My hair is very manageable and only slightly oily. It has no odors and my comb comes out clean. This was not the case when I started water-only washing.

Switching to water-only washing exposes two problems that shampoo tends to hide. First, any accumulated sebum and lint comes out when combing, often in big globs. Second, any matted hair will foster mold/bacteria growth and lead to odors. The solution is to comb out any accumulated sebum, lint, and mats. Once the hair is free of these, then you will be able to tell if water-only washing works for you.
Ed

Beckstar
July 31st, 2019, 06:42 PM
I'm going to keep at it. It's been about two weeks now. Witch hazel sounds like it'd be very refreshing or even maybe a very very diluted vinegar rinse? There's no flakes or chunks in my hair and I ran my hand all over my hair and my hand doesn't stink..soooo to be continued.

Obsidian
July 31st, 2019, 07:59 PM
So, when doing WO do you use conditioner or any kind of leave in? Did you do a clarifying wash when first starting? I'm so tired of conditioner build up and the sores I get from it, I'm about ready to try anything.

EdG
July 31st, 2019, 08:00 PM
Beckstar - you are off to a great start! :)
Ed

EdG
July 31st, 2019, 08:07 PM
Obsidian - adding conditioner is unnecessary. Sebum is already a great conditioner.
Ed

Beckstar
August 1st, 2019, 07:08 AM
I'm not planning on keeping the buzz cut so that's one reason why I want to go ahead and establish a routine now. I will at least grow out to a shoulder length bob that works best with my curls.

lapushka
August 1st, 2019, 04:28 PM
Obsidian - adding conditioner is unnecessary. Sebum is already a great conditioner.
Ed

I think so too on hair that short, especially considering you have SD, just like me. I never use conditioner or a mask or oil on my scalp, because I know I will get flare-ups upon flare-ups. :(

Obsidian
August 1st, 2019, 04:33 PM
I think so too on hair that short, especially considering you have SD, just like me. I never use conditioner or a mask or oil on my scalp, because I know I will get flare-ups upon flare-ups. :(

Thats my problem right now. Shampoo is drying my hair but conditioner is causing a fIare. I just can't find a good balance to keep both happy.
I don't think WO will work either, maybe a gentle shampoo with herbal rinses would help.

lapushka
August 1st, 2019, 04:43 PM
Thats my problem right now. Shampoo is drying my hair but conditioner is causing a fIare. I just can't find a good balance to keep both happy.
I don't think WO will work either, maybe a gentle shampoo with herbal rinses would help.

That's tough. Maybe just let the shampoo be drying (after the sores and such are gone), on the roots it's not that big of a deal anyhow. :flower:

Obsidian
August 1st, 2019, 04:52 PM
That's tough. Maybe just let the shampoo be drying (after the sores and such are gone), on the roots it's not that big of a deal anyhow. :flower:

Its not the roots, its the rest of the hair. I bleached it a couple months back and now it's fairly dry. The virgin roots are perfectly happy with anything I use.

I have a solid shampoo bar that is quite gentle, I can actually brush my hair wet without having to use conditioner and it doesn't irritate my scalp.

Hopefully it will get me past this damaged stage until its long enough to just condition the ends. Its issues like this that temp me shave it all off again.

Beckstar
August 2nd, 2019, 01:22 PM
I've skipped water washing for two days in a row and just brushed my scalp. No issues so far.