PDA

View Full Version : Experiment : Peppermint oil for 6 months

elfynity
July 29th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Again, I have read how Peppermint EO is more effective than Minoxidil at hair growth, but obviously will never be pushed as who would make money out of something that you can't patent. Makes perfect sense. I read how Minoxidil works and am fascinated. The general idea is that Minoxidil makes hairs fall out sooner at first but then replaces them with more, strong, thicker and longer lasting hairs. At first you will notice a hair loss, but then a dramatic regrowth.

So, in light of this and wanting to know if Peppermint EO will work for me or not, and also because I have a regular hair routine now, I am going to start using Peppermint oil topically on my scalp for 6 months. I am going to try spray it daily onto my roots diluted in water. I will also put it into my conditioner that I use to wash my scalp once a week. Luckily, peppermint EO smells great.

Info
- ETA: I upgraded to a 1% solution - so it's 15 drops in 50ml filtered water. Oil and water don't mix, so I shake the bottle before I apply it. this has worked very well so far.
(I am going to mix a 0.5% solution into filtered water. So that is 7 drops into 50ml.)
- My starting hair pony circumference is 2¾".
- Peppermint EO doesn't make my scalp oily, in fact it seems to degrease it partially.
(One thing I am concerned about that may force me to stop this experiment could be that peppermint EO could make my scalp very oily - but i don't know this yet. )

Scientific Threads
The experiment using rats and peppermint EO for hair growth.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

Scroll down on this thread till you find peppermint EO information.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141868&page=4

The-Young-Maid
July 29th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I thought EOs could only be diluted in carrier oils not water?

Ylva
July 29th, 2019, 08:59 PM
I thought EOs could only be diluted in carrier oils not water?

That's my understanding as well - or something lotion-y like cetearyl alcohol that allows oil and water to mix. While they aren't exactly oils, they behave like oils, and won't mix with water alone.

mwallingford
July 29th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I'm really curious to hear what you find :)

If you're not too opposed to emulsifiers, polysorbate 80 is fantastic for oil in water emulsions and is available on Amazon for a fairly affordable price

Kalamazoo
July 29th, 2019, 10:29 PM
I generally put a drop or 2 or 3 of peppermint EO into a 2.5 gallon pot of spring water, which is my hair wash & rinse water. I also use it for bathing, via dip & pour method. Besides peppermint EO, I also put similar amounts of clove EO & tea tree oil in the water. So basically, I'm aiming for a total of 3 drops of all EOs combined total per 1 gallon of water.

You're talking about putting 7 drops of peppermint EO into 1/4 cup of water? That's about 448 times stronger than what I'm doing. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Personally, I'm opposed to polysorbate 80. It sounds too chemical-ly for my personal tastes.

Beeboo123
July 29th, 2019, 11:31 PM
I put peppermint EO in my conditioner (I co-wash), it hasn’t changed my hair thickness, and it has been almost 2 years

mwallingford
July 30th, 2019, 12:12 AM
Usage rates for essential oils vary quite a bit; clove EO has a recommended usage rate of 0.5%, tea tree oil at 1-2%, and peppermint also at 1-2%. Generally a good rule of thumb is 2%, but some are much higher or lower depending on the specific essential oil. 1/4 cup = 2 ounces, so peppermint EO should be fine at that concentration.

The emulsifier is totally up to the OP, I was just agreeing with The-Young-Maid and Ylva in saying that water and oil do not mix, so the essential oils alone will have a tendency to sit on top of the water and not be as effective. Everything consists of chemicals, even water, so I try to do my own research as to what I'm comfortable with. The research I found says it's used in food, medicinal, and cosmetic use so I'd be ok with it on my skin/hair :shrug:

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 03:31 AM
Hi everyone, thank you all for your responses!

I did notice that the peppermint EO does not readily mix with the water, so I just shake the bottle every time and it seems to mix well enough for each spray. I will look into cetearyl alcohol, Ylva. I don't think I am opposed to emulsifiers, I am definitely going to research the polysorbate emulsifier - however I am trying to be all organic if I can be, thank you mwallingford.

I am using a 0.5% dilution, which is quite a standard 7 drops EO in 50ml carrier. I'm not sure what you are comparing my dilution amount to Kalamazoo however over 5% at over 75 drops per 50ml would be overdoing it. I got these figures from Robert Tisserand Institute. and actually a 3% solution is used for rinse out shampoos etc in general. I'm not sure if you mean because my carrier is water as opposed to something else? Just to note, here, mwallingford., I have been careful to keep it below the recommend rate (it's nice to see your 1-2% for peppermint EO) - I'd rather err on the side of caution than damage something.

Beeboo, thank you for the feedback. How often do you condition your hair?

Joules
July 30th, 2019, 08:39 AM
I used a DIY peppermint treatment that contained way way waaaaay more than 3-5%. Nothing bad happened. I used it for only 1 month, so nothing good happened either. I agree that it should be used for 6 months to be able to see anything. I used it for only 1 month because it was recommended to use it for 1 month and follow it up with a month long break. I kinda regret not going back to it after the break and not diluting it more to be able to use it regularly. Maybe I'll go back to it if my current scalp treatment doesn't work.

I'm curious to hear about your progress, elfynity!

Bacs
July 30th, 2019, 08:54 AM
I’m really interested in watching how this works out. Peppermint is one of the few EOs that doesn’t cause my sinuses to protest so the prospect of it being something that helps my hair is interesting.

BerrySara
July 30th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I too am curious about this. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

To me, Minoxidil sounds a bit scary. Mostly from what I recall reading about losing the hairs gained if you were to stop taking it. But Peppermint oil I have no problem trying and I currently have some peppermint EO. Perhaps I will join you! Curious to hear what carrier you find to work best for you.

ChloeDharma
July 30th, 2019, 09:17 AM
I use peppermint oil a bit like you describe. Sometimes mixed with rosewater and a few other essential oils as a scalp freshener. I also add it to DT's like my fenugreek treatment and also scalp oilings and tea/herb sprays.

I use it so often that I kind of buy in bulk now lol.

Good luck with your experiment, if nothing else your scalp will feel lovely and fresh!

mwallingford
July 30th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone, thank you all for your responses!

I did notice that the peppermint EO does not readily mix with the water, so I just shake the bottle every time and it seems to mix well enough for each spray. I will look into cetearyl alcohol, Ylva. I don't think I am opposed to emulsifiers, I am definitely going to research the polysorbate emulsifier - however I am trying to be all organic if I can be, thank you mwallingford.

I am using a 0.5% dilution, which is quite a standard 7 drops EO in 50ml carrier. I'm not sure what you are comparing my dilution amount to Kalamazoo however over 5% at over 75 drops per 50ml would be overdoing it. I got these figures from Robert Tisserand Institute. and actually a 3% solution is used for rinse out shampoos etc in general. I'm not sure if you mean because my carrier is water as opposed to something else? Just to note, here, mwallingford., I have been careful to keep it below the recommend rate (it's nice to see your 1-2% for peppermint EO) - I'd rather err on the side of caution than damage something.

Beeboo, thank you for the feedback. How often do you condition your hair?

I think your usage rate is extremely reasonable at 0.5%, and like you said, could even be increased to as much as 3% while still being at an acceptable percentage. It can be difficult to find an organic eulsifier, so I think your method of thoroughly shaking the bottle before application should do the trick!

ETA: I hadn't thought about the scalp freshener bit, that sounds lovely ChloeDharma!

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I used a DIY peppermint treatment that contained way way waaaaay more than 3-5%. Nothing bad happened. I used it for only 1 month, so nothing good happened either. I agree that it should be used for 6 months to be able to see anything. I used it for only 1 month because it was recommended to use it for 1 month and follow it up with a month long break. I kinda regret not going back to it after the break and not diluting it more to be able to use it regularly. Maybe I'll go back to it if my current scalp treatment doesn't work.

So it seems that results generally only show after 6 months so that could explain it if the 6 month rule works! You must have smelt wonderfully pepperminty!

Yes 6 months feels like it needs to be done with someone to show if there was progress or not.

Perhaps I will join you! Curious to hear what carrier you find to work best for you.
It would be wonderful if you did and we could see if it worked for you or not. At this point I'm just gonna stick with the water as a carrier. It really is working very well and mixes wonderfully.

I think your usage rate is extremely reasonable at 0.5%, and like you said, could even be increased to as much as 3% while still being at an acceptable percentage. It can be difficult to find an organic eulsifier, so I think your method of thoroughly shaking the bottle before application should do the trick!

I think I might even go up to 1% myself, just so that I can give it the best shot possible. I totally want to see if this will work. My monthly photo is coming up soon, so I will post a shot and also take my circumference and record it.

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I use peppermint oil a bit like you describe. Sometimes mixed with rosewater and a few other essential oils as a scalp freshener. I also add it to DT's like my fenugreek treatment and also scalp oilings and tea/herb sprays.

I use it so often that I kind of buy in bulk now lol.

Good luck with your experiment, if nothing else your scalp will feel lovely and fresh!

That is so nice to know that you are already doing this.

Beeboo123
July 30th, 2019, 11:00 AM
elfynity I do it weekly

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Look what I found:

Natural Emulsifiers ->

Witch Hazel - can control oiliness, but perhaps dry scalp out?
Alcohol such as Vodka - wow, do I have this in my kitchen!
Aloe Vera Juice - this would have a very short shelf life
Vinegar -Apple cider sounds like a very good / viable option here! Basically an ACV rinse daily?
Salt – Epsom salt, Himalayan Salt, or Sea Salt - definitely drying I am sure.

I have just tried out the salt emulsion in my home made room spray and it became cloudy, which is a sign that the oils have bonded with the water. Not sure how salt would do on my scalp though.

It looks like witch hazel works well with scalps:

Witch hazel helps to relieve scalp conditions such as an itchy scalp or eczema. Also, witch hazel helps to stabilize an oily scalp without stripping moisture.

Beeboo, thank you for letting me know. I am going to be doing the peppermint oil spray 5 - 7 days a week.

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 02:56 PM

I've just been reading about witch hazel now and it's curing properties. Perhaps a peppermint EO, witch hazel and filtered water spray is something that you could potentially help you? i have no idea what your condition is though.

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 03:02 PM
To me, Minoxidil sounds a bit scary.

I have read some health concerns about Minoxidil; for someone like me who has low blood pressure and a heart murmur, Minoxidil can actually be absorbed into your blood stream through your scalp and thin out your blood - so I definitely wouldn't try it for myself.

elfynity
July 30th, 2019, 03:04 PM
if nothing else your scalp will feel lovely and fresh!

Love this!!!

mwallingford
July 30th, 2019, 04:55 PM
That's really neat, I didn't know witch hazel has emulsifying properties!

I'll be looking forward to seeing how your experiment goes :)

elfynity
August 4th, 2019, 04:23 AM
Tomorrow will be one week of spraying my roots with peppermint spray, the experiment is going very well. A few things to note:

Today is usually wash day for me (I wash once a week on Sundays), which I have to skip as my roots are less oily than they usually are.
My roots and skin feel tingly for about 2 hours after the peppermint application. It feels like it is tingling beneath the skin. It is a nice feeling.
I shake the bottle to mix the water and peppermint EO and it works perfectly to mix the two enough to spray onto my roots.
It is easier to put my hair up in a bun and then part my hair and spray onto my scalp that way. I tried with my hair down and it just causes a big mess with the rest of my length.
I had my usual menstrual migraine on Thursday and the peppermint seemed to actually ease the headache!

Kalamazoo
August 4th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Look what I found:

Natural Emulsifiers ->

Witch Hazel - can control oiliness, but perhaps dry scalp out?
Alcohol such as Vodka - wow, do I have this in my kitchen!
Aloe Vera Juice - this would have a very short shelf life
Vinegar -Apple cider sounds like a very good / viable option here! Basically an ACV rinse daily?
Salt – Epsom salt, Himalayan Salt, or Sea Salt - definitely drying I am sure.

I have just tried out the salt emulsion in my home made room spray and it became cloudy, which is a sign that the oils have bonded with the water. Not sure how salt would do on my scalp though.

It looks like witch hazel works well with scalps:

Witch hazel, alcohol, aloe vera, & ACV are ALL emulsifiers? No wonder what I've been doing has been working! :rockerdud
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150332&page=4

I've read that alcohol can act as a humectant. I haven't had any trouble with it [ETA: I mean, witch hazel & aftershave, the 2 products I use that contain alcohol.] being overly drying.

I read that peppermint EO could be used neat (without dilution), so I tried it on my scalp. I think I used about 4 drops. Maybe 6? It definitely cleared out my sinuses! But being used alone, it didn't seem to trigger faster than normal hair growth for me. My theory is that the scalp needs a "balanced diet" of several different nutrients all working together synergystically to grow hair. I didn't notice any damage from using the PEO full-strength, and I've done it several times; but right now, I'm trying to grow my hair as fast as I can, & I think I need to keep doing the multi-ingredient mask approach, rather than just one ingredient at a time.

elfynity
August 5th, 2019, 02:39 AM
But being used alone, it didn't seem to trigger faster than normal hair growth for me.

According to research, there is a good possibility that Peppermint EO at first encourages hair fall and then after 3 months stronger, more and faster growing hairs will grow in the hair falls place - which is why I am doing a 6 month experiment. I also have seen no sudden growth from using peppermint EO on my scalp.

I read some of your experiment (the eating peppermint) - didn't see where the emulsifiers fitted in, but glad that it is working for you!

Kalamazoo
August 5th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Witch hazel, alcohol, aloe vera, & ACV are ALL emulsifiers? No wonder what I've been doing has been working! :rockerdud
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150332&page=4

I read some of your experiment (the eating peppermint) - didn't see where the emulsifiers fitted in, but glad that it is working for you!

I confess, my eating peppermint experiment has been side-tracked into trying to prove that hair can be made to grow faster than 1/2" per month. I mean, I'm claiming that mine can grow up to 1.5"/day, or 6"/month (if treatments are done 1ce/week) so I feel the need to continue with my hair masks & inversion method long enough to take convincing photos. So, in about a month, I'll be ready to test the dietary peppermint thing.

Meanwhile, edited from p. 4 of the "Eating Peppermint" thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=150332&page=4

4. My hair wash water is bottled spring water, ACV, peppermint EO, clove EO, tea tree oil. Lately, I've started adding rosemary tea & shave grass tea to the pot, which I heat on the stovetop to a pleasant lukewarm temperature & carry to the shower, to dip & pour over my hair. (I try to avoid using tapwater, because it makes me itch. This is an industrial city, & there's a lot of run-off in the city water.) (This week, I added basil tea to my hair wash water.)

6. I do hair masks on all of my hair, from scalp to tip, & then cover everything with plastic (shower cap &/or Saran Wrap), including my eyebrows. (Yes, my eyebrows are looking thicker & darker now than they have in a long time!) My ingredients include:
• egg yolk
• George's Aloe Vera
• Captain's Choice Aftershave (contains Alcohol & Witch Hazel, among other things)
• Thayer's Original Astringent Aloe Vera Witch Hazel (contains SD Alcohol 40-B Natural Grain 10%, Witch Hazel, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice, & Phenoxyethanol (Hmmm... Maybe I'm not 100% as chemical-free as I thought. That sounds like a chemical to me...)
• black walnut hull extract (contains alcohol USP)
• peppermint EO
• clove EO
• rosemary tea
• horsetail tea
• Kalpi Tone (contains Aloe Vera Leaf powder (enough to make a thick glop like toothpaste. This makes the mask non-drippy.)
• Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Pure Butter
• Earthly Delight Pomade
• coconut oil
• neem oil
• other oils

7. After rinsing out the mask & shampoo (with my hair wash water. See #4.), I spray or pour the following liquids on my hair: George's Aloe Vera, rosemary tea, fenugreek seed soak water.

8. Between masks & shampoos, I liberally apply as needed:
• Captain's Choice Aftershave
• Thayer's Original Astringent Aloe Vera Witch Hazel
• Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Pure Butter
• Earthly Delight Pomade
• cocoa butter
• fenugreek seed soak water

9. I may pour my hair wash water (See #4.) through my hair any day between shampoos, to freshen it up.

I've read elsewhere that straight-up egg & oil masks didn't work for some people, because the protein & oil molecules were too big to be absorbed by the hair shaft and/or follicle; therefore, the thought was that hydrolyzation was necessary for a conditioner to work.

Personally, I'm eschewing hydrolyzed anything, because according to Debby Anglesey's book, MSG Myth https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37439&d=1561621909, anything hydrolyzed is functioning as MSG, & I'm definitely MSG-sensitive, which rules out most of the conventional hair care products out there, at least for me.

But an emulsifier breaks big particles into small ones, so that they can be suspended in a liquid in which they wouldn't normally mix. So if I'm (unknowingly, up to now) using emulsifiers with my egg & oil masks, then those protein & oil molecules are getting broken down to where they're absorbable by the hair & scalp, which could account for a faster-than-normal growth rate?

elfynity
August 5th, 2019, 04:58 PM
To be honest Kalamazoo, I have no idea what you are trying to say, I tried to read all this and gave up, and actually would really like to stay on my topic that I started.

Kalamazoo
August 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Sorry. Apologies.

AutobotsAttack
August 6th, 2019, 11:28 PM
I’ve used PEO straight out of the bottle on my scalp. To be honest I have scalp sensitivity from excessive sweating on the daily, so it felt sooooo good to just section my hair and apply it evenly throughout.

I saw an insane amount of growth for maybe 2 months before I forgot to repurchase it. I’ve also just used it as a rinse in the shower. Yes oils don’t mix with water, but I’m wondering why no one has even mentioned how your scalp and hair is behaving after the shower. Water evaporates, but I can guarantee the oil and the nutrients along with it are still able to do their thing.

elfynity
August 7th, 2019, 03:17 AM
I’ve used PEO straight out of the bottle on my scalp. To be honest I have scalp sensitivity from excessive sweating on the daily, so it felt sooooo good to just section my hair and apply it evenly throughout.

I saw an insane amount of growth for maybe 2 months before I forgot to repurchase it. I’ve also just used it as a rinse in the shower. Yes oils don’t mix with water, but I’m wondering why no one has even mentioned how your scalp and hair is behaving after the shower. Water evaporates, but I can guarantee the oil and the nutrients along with it are still able to do their thing.

Hi Autobots, that is why I really like to apply the peppermint EO suspended in water as the water evaporates and leaves the peppermint EO on my scalp. I couldn't apply peppermint EO to my scalp everyday if I had it mixed in oil. Imagine all the hair washing I'd have to do. Interesting that you also put straight peppermint EO onto your scalp. Perhaps you would be keen to do the experiment as well?

AutobotsAttack
August 7th, 2019, 06:54 PM
Hi Autobots, that is why I really like to apply the peppermint EO suspended in water as the water evaporates and leaves the peppermint EO on my scalp. I couldn't apply peppermint EO to my scalp everyday if I had it mixed in oil. Imagine all the hair washing I'd have to do. Interesting that you also put straight peppermint EO onto your scalp. Perhaps you would be keen to do the experiment as well?

Yeah I could give it another try. I just need to remember to stock up on some. Also if you’re looking for another emulsifier try fenugreek

CathelinaNicole
August 7th, 2019, 07:44 PM
This sounds like a really interesting experiment! I'm very curious what your results will be. :)

EleriMc
August 7th, 2019, 09:11 PM
Super excited to follow this experiment thread. I love peppermint EO and how it makes my scalp feel, but I've never used it regularly as a treatment. Thanks for starting and sharing this with us!

Silica
August 7th, 2019, 10:28 PM
I've always loved the cool tingly feeling I get from shampoos and conditioners containing peppermint so this sounds right up my alley! Please keep us updated with how you get on 🙂

elfynity
August 8th, 2019, 04:56 AM
AutobotsAttack, Wow, fenugreek?! Some of the the indian ladies here in SA use that on their hair too.

This sounds like a really interesting experiment! I'm very curious what your results will be. :)

Super excited to follow this experiment thread. I love peppermint EO and how it makes my scalp feel, but I've never used it regularly as a treatment. Thanks for starting and sharing this with us!

I've always loved the cool tingly feeling I get from shampoos and conditioners containing peppermint so this sounds right up my alley! Please keep us updated with how you get on ��

I will definitely keep you updated!

- So that I have a base study for this experiment, I am going to continue using water to mix my peppermint EO into.
- Peppermint EO does not make my roots greasy, in fact it seems to degrease a bit.

elfynity
August 25th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Hey everyone! In the last 2 weeks, I missed 3 days of putting peppermint EO on my roots, sometimes life is just to busy. But those days weren't back to back, and I think that it is acceptable to miss 1 day in a week for the experiment.

I have noticed a massive shed started this week. I took off at least 3 times the amount of hair off my brush than I usually do on a weekly basis. This is actually quite an exciting development because apparantley Minoxidil causes the same thing to happen: A massive shed in the first 3 months and then a vigorous growing back of thicker, stronger hair.

So, just to confirm that i haven't changed anything in my routine - so that rules that out. I am aware that a shed could be caused by other reasons, but it is timed well for what i am hoping and expecting peppermint oil to do.

In 4 days it will be 1 month that I have been doing this experiment

I will measure the circumference of my ponytail again in 2 months to check any changes.

Synester
August 26th, 2019, 10:57 PM
could i add PEO to shampoo and Conditioner ? i love minty shampoos and stuff they are my absolute favorite. how many drops should i add.

elfynity
August 27th, 2019, 03:15 AM
could i add PEO to shampoo and Conditioner ? i love minty shampoos and stuff they are my absolute favorite. how many drops should i add.

Hey, here is a general guide that I use:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33842&d=1540654922

But peppermint EO is quite strong, so I would go for a mild dose. I am using a 1% dose on my hair, that is 15 drops in 50ml, and it is zingy. I found that the 0.5% dilution wasn't enough.

Siv
August 27th, 2019, 05:33 AM
I wonder if a peppermint hydrosol would work. The PEO is already dissolved in that, you wouldn't need an emulsifier. You wouldn't really know how high the EO-percentage was in that though, I suppose.

ETA: Found a site that says hydrosols contain about 0.05% essential oil! Looks like a fairly reliable source (https://tisserandinstitute.org/learn-more/hydrosol/). Anyway that's way below the 3% in the rat study, or the 1% OP was going for. Thought I'd mention it though.

Synester
August 27th, 2019, 10:45 AM
I am using a 1% dose on my hair, that is 15 drops in 50ml, and it is zingy. I found that the 0.5% dilution wasn't enough.
thankyou for that guide! i know its very strong and concentrated. so i dont want TOO zingy. but i definitely love that minty cool refreshing feeling

elfynity
August 27th, 2019, 01:36 PM
I wonder if a peppermint hydrosol would work. The PEO is already dissolved in that, you wouldn't need an emulsifier. You wouldn't really know how high the EO-percentage was in that though, I suppose.

I don't need an emulsifier, plain filtered water is working just fine, I just shake the bottle. But simple things like salt or vinegar are emulsifiers too, so just a little added into the water does work. I used it to make my room spray combine and it did.

EleriMc
August 27th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Hey, here is a general guide that I use:

But peppermint EO is quite strong, so I would go for a mild dose. I am using a 1% dose on my hair, that is 15 drops in 50ml, and it is zingy. I found that the 0.5% dilution wasn't enough.

Great resource, elfynity! Thanks for posting it. :)

iamjessica26
August 29th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Love this experiment! I've been doing this for a year or so, not really for hair growth or health but as a lice deterrent :puke: I work in a preschool so it comes around often and I have never caught it, even though we had one girl that kept getting it for almost a year and gave it to all the other kids! I just combined some drops of peppermint, a bunch of rosemary, and tea tree oil (super scientific I know) into shampoo and in a bottle of coconut oil. Much healthier than the store bought lice treatments.

elfynity
August 30th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Love this experiment! I've been doing this for a year or so, not really for hair growth or health but as a lice deterrent :puke: I work in a preschool so it comes around often and I have never caught it, even though we had one girl that kept getting it for almost a year and gave it to all the other kids! I just combined some drops of peppermint, a bunch of rosemary, and tea tree oil (super scientific I know) into shampoo and in a bottle of coconut oil. Much healthier than the store bought lice treatments.

This is fascinating, I google it straight away and saw that it is in fact a very good deterrent. It would have been so nice to know about this when my daughter was in school.

Joules
December 23rd, 2019, 03:24 AM
Bumping this thread and asking elfynity how's the experiment going? Any improvements?

YunaGation
December 23rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Just put raw peppermint essential oil on your scalp. Its what I do occasionally.

tulirepo
December 29th, 2019, 09:33 AM
oof i really wish i'd find this before making my own peppermint EO mix. i read the same experiment that you had in your opening post like a week ago and decided to give it a try. i have a 30ml glass dropper where i first added 10ml castor oil and 10ml jojoba oil and around 40-50 drops of PEO. and THEN i read here that it's recommended to use 2%-3% solution... yikes. i went and added 5ml sweet almond oil and tried to count the percentage when 30 drops is around 1ml, so my solution is now about 5%-6% so not that bad. and i'm only going to add a few drops a couple of nights a week on my scalp as a pre-CO-wash treatment.

good luck with your trial! i already subscribed this thread to see how you're doing!