PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, thinning temples, should I be worried?!?!

clandestine
July 28th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Hello, I noticed that the hair at my temples is looking very thin. I've noticed this for a while now but have been hesitant to post. Please let me know what you think or any advice. Thank you.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37821&d=1564338031

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37822&d=1564338051

JennGalt
July 28th, 2019, 12:37 PM
My hairline has always looked like that as long as I can remember. But if this is new for you, make sure your nutrition is on point and make a doctor appointment asap. Ask for blood work to be done. Maybe keep a food journal to help you track your nutrition and find any deficiencies that could be causing this. Any chance this is seasonal and you’re just now noticing it for the first time?

I hope you get this figured out soon :grouphug:

Sarahlabyrinth
July 28th, 2019, 01:33 PM
I think it's normal to have thin hair at the sides, I always have. But if it's different for you then I would suggest some blood tests to check for any deficiencies or hormonal changes.

Groovy Granny
July 28th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Same here.....and I have actually had it grow back in over time as well...possibly a deficiency that was corrected unknowingly :hmm:

If it is a concern for YOU, then check with the doc, but it doesn't look severe IMHO.

Kalamazoo
July 28th, 2019, 02:28 PM
It doesn't look like a problem to me. I have used Caboki to make mine look thicker. Maybe just having it look thicker there when you look in the mirror is all you need to feel good about yourself.

cjk
July 28th, 2019, 02:34 PM
The fact that you're asking this question makes me think this is a new thing? Your hairline has thinned or moved or something?

Possible explanations.

Pattern balding, it's more common in men than women, but it does happen.
Nutritional deficiencies. Did you start/end a new diet?
Medication. I developed a full bald spot from some eyedrops I took.
Hormones. Assuming this is new, and troublesome, if you've not yet talked to your doctor then I suggest making an appointment.
Traction alopecia. Do you wear tight braids, twists, or anything that would put stress at the hairline?

I'm sure there are other possibilities too, but those are the ones that came immediately to mind.

lapushka
July 28th, 2019, 02:36 PM
I don't notice anything particularly... off, or anything. My hair is finer and thinner right there as well. Always has been.

Maybe you're just paying attention to this for the first time; or has anything changed?

clandestine
July 28th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the replies. I haven't changed my diet lately or had any big stressors to trigger this. I first noticed it around Christmas and it had escaped my notice until now. I'm going to try keep an eye on it closer now and see a doctor if it worsens.

Thanks again for responding. I'm going to try to make my hairstyles more loose in the meantime and try to avoid picking at dry skin I get there occasionally.

Any other advice will still be appreciated. Thank you :blossom:

ManeGoal
July 28th, 2019, 03:27 PM
I had that due to postpartum hair loss. It was getting so bad I had actual bald patches at my temples! I have used rosemary essential oil and cayenne powder and do scalp massages focusing on those parts especially. I no longer have any issue. But it was postpartum related so that might be why and not that the rosemary and cayenne helped. However the hair grew in very fast which might have been because of the treatment.

MusicalSpoons
July 28th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I don't want to tell you it's normal and then you later find out that it's not, but I noticed my temples being thinner last year. Kept an eye on it and it's not changed really, and in some lights I see it's not actually as thin as it looks, there are lots of extremely fine, almost translucent hairs there which just don't show up in normal life. As you have noticed it before now I would suggest keeping an eye on it and if it stays the same and you're happy with that, great! If you're not sure, then there's no harm in getting checked out :)

bparnell75
July 28th, 2019, 07:44 PM
It doesn't look like a problem to me. I have used Caboki to make mine look thicker. Maybe just having it look thicker there when you look in the mirror is all you need to feel good about yourself.

I agree. I have lots of baldness in the males in my family so when it is genetic just learn to Cabooki.

Haven
July 29th, 2019, 07:00 AM
I noticed this on a photo of myself from when I was around 10, so it very well could be normal... but investigate regardless :)

Milkchocolate
July 29th, 2019, 07:20 AM
I feel like this is very common? I have about the same thing. I think it’s very rare to have a perfect hair line lol. I’ve had that since I was a child. I would only worry if this is a sudden issue

czech it out
July 29th, 2019, 09:30 AM
I always tell people to look at their younger relatives (kids, nieces/nephews) because it’s a very common pattern of hair growth and could be totally normal. My baby cousins all have this, and so do I. I think it’s something that many people never notice until they start getting into haircare!

clandestine
July 29th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Thanks again everyone! I'm feeling way less stressed with everyone being kind and chiming in :o I'm going to try to not pull it back tight for a while and see if I see any changes for the better.

lapushka
July 29th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Thanks again everyone! I'm feeling way less stressed with everyone being kind and chiming in :o I'm going to try to not pull it back tight for a while and see if I see any changes for the better.

Awesome! :)

Liz_H
July 30th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I've been seeing this as well, and chalked it up to aging. But I've needed to get my hormones checked anyway, so I guess I won't put it off much longer.

Panthera
July 30th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Happened to me too. I have been wearing a scarf at night for a long time and I stopped wearing it a couple months ago thinking it's damaging my hair. It's definitely scary to see thinning, hopefully it will go away.

redfrau
June 3rd, 2020, 03:50 PM

Clandestine, did this get better? I have very thin hair there, started after the birth of my son and gets better or worse with stress. I am wondering if biotin, oils, and/or massage could help. Would love to hear your experience or anyone else’s!

CuteCrow
June 8th, 2020, 07:26 PM
I've been thinking that my hair is getting thinner for a while too. Some people close to me kept telling me that my hair has always been like that but I still felt like it WAS thinning and only I noticed it. So, I went to my gp had blood work done and everything came back ok. But my doctor told me to keep an eye on it and to come back if I felt like it was still thinning because it could have been only stress or something seasonal.

Then recently I saw THIS (https://i.ibb.co/QdcfvDq/Inkeda6369874-99f7-44f4-898d-9a37c0415a39-LI.jpg) picture of a 13 year old me and realised that my hair has actually always been like that :lol:

redfrau
June 9th, 2020, 07:52 AM
I've been thinking that my hair is getting thinner for a while too. Some people close to me kept telling me that my hair has always been like that but I still felt like it WAS thinning and only I noticed it. So, I went to my gp had blood work done and everything came back ok. But my doctor told me to keep an eye on it and to come back if I felt like it was still thinning because it could have been only stress or something seasonal.

Then recently I saw THIS (https://i.ibb.co/QdcfvDq/Inkeda6369874-99f7-44f4-898d-9a37c0415a39-LI.jpg) picture of a 13 year old me and realised that my hair has actually always been like that :lol:

Interesting! Yes, mine has always been this way too, but on one side it's clearly much more pronounced these last few months! It's like baby hair and you can clearly see the scalp through it. I've been doing a little massage before bed with some almond oil and a little bit of essential oils. It seems to be my barometer for stress, only it happens after the fact, so it's not very helpful :lol:

CuteCrow
June 9th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Yes redfrau, it seems like baby hairs are always more prone to show stress changes or seasonal shedding. That it's not at all helpful because you notice it months later as you said lol

clandestine
June 9th, 2020, 04:13 PM
I don't seem to have this happening as much anymore but I have improved my diet and lost 40 pounds since this issue and had a big chop. I think the weight of my hair and updos were to blame before. Right now I'm growing again and focusing on being gentle and oiling frequently.