PDA

View Full Version : How do you prefer to deep condition your hair?

xoAshley
July 26th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Do you apply it to your whole head?
Ears down?
Or another way?

Just curious what works for people. Thanks. :)

KlutzyChy1
July 26th, 2019, 07:19 PM
I personally deep condition once a week. I use the Garnier Whole Blends Honey Hair mask & apply it from the ears down, work it through my hair with my fingers & leave it to sit for 10 minutes.

Groovy Granny
July 26th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Same with me....once a week.....ears down..... and let it sit 5-10 minutes.
Whatever is on my hands from working it into my ends I do a quick pass over my scalp but don't work it in.
I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask ....or Ors Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner.

blackgothicdoll
July 26th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I apply all over but not on scalp. My hair is thick enough for product to not accidentally get on my scalp except for in the very front where I part in the middle. I like to use a heat cap any time I DC

Reservechic
July 26th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I use both regular rinse out conditioners and DCs to deep condition with. I apply such generously all over my head and I will normally deep condition using my hair steamer. Sometimes I will deep condition using my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap. My hair doesn't know the difference between my deep conditioning with heat using a regular rinse out conditioner or a labeled deep conditioner. As,long as the conditioner has lots of slip and is very moisturizing, and softening to my hair, that's what I choose to stick with, when it comes to the conditioners that I choose to regularly use. Oh, and I do deep condition for roughly anywhere from around 20-25 minutes, or sometimes longer if I have the time. And, I try to at least do so, at least once a week, unless something per chance comes up where I'm not able to.

Liz_H
July 26th, 2019, 10:24 PM
I've been using olive oil as a pre poo, leaving it in for at least several hours. My hair's main need is moisture. I wonder how the effects differ from a deep conditioning treatment. SMT had less impact on my hair, but I imagine it would have been more effective if I had pressed it in.

This thread describes what I mean by pressing it in.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67634&p=3704674

JennGalt
July 26th, 2019, 11:02 PM
I apply it from root to tip and rub some into my scalp too because my scalp is super dry and eczema prone and the conditioner seems to help at least temporarily. I’m picky about conditioner/deep conditioner ingredients for this reason. I used to keep DCs on for an hour around the time I first joined LHC, but laziness abounds and I simply can’t be bothered now. Instead I do the first part of my CO/WCC (depending on which I’m doing that wash day) and then slather my head in an SMT or store bought DC and leave it on for the rest of my shower/shave routine. The steam from the shower seems to be enough, so I don’t bother putting a plastic bag on my head anymore.

Aerya
July 27th, 2019, 12:15 AM
Depends on what I'm using. If it's something heavy with protein I will stick to my lengths, since they are damaged and needs that treatment, while the top hair would probably get overloaded quick. Hydrating ones I put all over but I don't rub it into the scalp, I just smooth a bit over with flat hands. Then I leave it on for as long as I can be bothered to, usually 3-10 minutes.

Begemot
July 27th, 2019, 01:50 AM
Once a week, from ears down and for 15-30 minutes. I also have a heat cap that I use when I have time and energy.

Your hair has gorgeous shine, xoAshley!

Katsura
July 27th, 2019, 01:59 AM
I put some avocado oil from ears down every time I go to sauna.

Ligeia Noire
July 27th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Smts or panacea hair salve, apply from ears down, put it up with two claw clips, put a plastic bag over it and a beanie and leave it for an hour and then shower. I do occasionally use heavy stuff like the awesome Neutrogena triple moisture but I am out of it already. Generally I just add honey, castor oil and aloe to my Andalou conditioner and that is it.

MusicalSpoons
July 27th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Pretty much the whole head, though to what extent does depends on what exactly it is. I wet/dampen my hair upside-down, so more goes onto my scalp hair anyway than if I applied right-way-up.
- If it has larger proteins or is a heavier conditioner that takes more rinsing anyway I'll stick to what would be fairly equivalent to ears down, with just a quick pass over the rest of the scalp hair with whatever's left of my hands.
- If it's protein-free (or only amino acids) and rinses easily I'll make sure my scalp hair gets a reasonable coating too, but I don't usually work it into my scalp because my normal washing routine takes care of that (I use a light conditioner just like I would shampoo, and that seems to get the balance right for my scalp - so far, anyway).

I leave it on at least an hour usually, uncovered, because I need to rest in order to have enough energy to shower afterwards :lol: A couple of times I have left it on for only ~30mins due to things beyond my control, and I noticed a difference in my hair (and crashed harder after showering, but it was nice to see the extra time to rest benefits my hair as well as my body!)

Usually I just use ordinary conditioner that's on the richer side (up until yesterday I didn't own any masks; I now have two to try) and once a week, when I do a full wash. To me it counts as the first C in CWC, as it arose out of tweaking that method :)

MoonRabbit
July 27th, 2019, 09:41 AM
I apply it from root to tip but do not rub it into my scalp. I use Shea Moisture Masque once a week, leave it on for an hour before I shampoo.

Hexana
July 27th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Like MoonRabbit I apply it from root to tip not rubbing it onto the scalp (but it's no big deal if some of it gets on it). I use a heat cap, and try to aim for timewise between 30min and 1h. I do this one a week and also try to do an oiling treatment 1x a week besides conditioning with a mask.

Kalamazoo
July 27th, 2019, 11:57 AM
I apply it to all of my hair, scalp to tip. I cover it with a plastic shower cap & plastic wrap. I may put a bonnet over that, if I'm going outside to walk the dog. I leave it in overnight.

Dark40
July 27th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I apply it all over even on scalp. I apply it from roots to tips. Leave in on for 15 minutes, and rinse.

LoveSnap
July 27th, 2019, 12:39 PM
I apply from root to tip (no scalp) then use it to detangle my hair. If I feel like my hair doesn't actually need a deep condition, I just rinse it out. If it does seem a bit dry, I'll cover my head with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 20 minutes.