PDA

View Full Version : Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone

Sparkles122
July 25th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, im not so good at navigating this website. Can the ingredients Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone cause hair loss? I like to research some of the ingredients in my favorite shampoos and conditioners. I probably shouldnt because I tend to believe everything I read on the internet. Some of my favorite shampoos and conditioners have these ingredients. My holy grail Biolage hydrasource does not, but my second favorite Pantene and third favorite Herbal Essence does. Ive used them on and off throughout the years and do not have any notable hairloss. So are these ingredients ok?

Six Seeds
July 25th, 2019, 05:59 PM
From what I've read, they're preservatives that are supposed to be relatively "okay," unless you have an allergy to them. I don't know what the symptoms of an allergic reaction would be.

Ylva
July 25th, 2019, 06:05 PM
There is a member here for whom they apparently caused hair loss.

I am allergic to them and they give me a rash. I hate those preservatives.

Sparkles122
July 25th, 2019, 06:15 PM
I havent noticed a rash. I do notice my scalp getting mildly itchy on second day hair, but I feel like my scalp is always itchy even with the Biolage.

Six Seeds
July 25th, 2019, 10:05 PM
I think this must be the website where I read about them being "safer" preservatives.

http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/methylisothiazolinone/

RubberDucky
July 26th, 2019, 02:21 AM
Like Ylva I'm also allergic to those ingredients and avoid them.

lapushka
July 26th, 2019, 07:21 AM
I'm fine with those preservatives, they seem to be in a lot of things I have, and I haven't noticed any issues. :flower: FWIW.

Sparkles122
July 30th, 2019, 01:50 PM
What is all this stuff im reading about these ingredients causing neurological damage? Please tell me this cant be for real...

MusicalSpoons
July 30th, 2019, 03:04 PM
What is all this stuff im reading about these ingredients causing neurological damage? Please tell me this cant be for real...

(My words have kind of gone so if this comes across a bit short or sharp, I don't intend it to. Apologies if it does :blossom:)

Context:
Rats - with far smaller organ systems than ours
High concentrations above 50% - irrelevant when it comes to cosmetics
In vitro cell studies, cerebral cortex cells - unless you're washing or injecting your brain with these chemicals, no need to worry!

Worth noting: no ill effects to rodents when the chemicals were in their drinking water.
The overall conclusion is these chemicals are basically fine if you're not allergic to them.
(Source: the link SixSeeds posted)

EDIT: not wishing to invalidate anyone's sensitivity/allergies to them though. Seems to be more common than many people realise and of course absolutely not fine for anyone who *does* have such allergy/sensitivity. So be aware they are potential allergen, but if no ill effects when using products containing either or both, you'll be fine :)

Sparkles122
July 30th, 2019, 03:12 PM
(My words have kind of gone so if this comes across a bit short or sharp, I don't intend it to. Apologies if it does :blossom:)

Context:
Rats - with far smaller organ systems than ours
High concentrations above 50% - irrelevant when it comes to cosmetics
In vitro cell studies, cerebral cortex cells - unless you're washing or injecting your brain with these chemicals, no need to worry!

Worth noting: no ill effects to rodents when the chemicals were in their drinking water.
The overall conclusion is these chemicals are basically fine if you're not allergic to them.
(Source: the link SixSeeds posted)

EDIT: not wishing to invalidate anyone's sensitivity/allergies to them though. Seems to be more common than many people realise and of course absolutely not fine for anyone who *does* have such allergy/sensitivity. So be aware they are potential allergen, but if no ill effects when using products containing either or both, you'll be fine :)

Thank you for this, I seem to have no allergies to them, so ill continue to use. Thank god, because I love Pantene