PDA

View Full Version : 9 year hair-a-versary!

spitfire511
July 25th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Hey all - since these are always my favorite threads to watch - I thought I'd post for my 9 year anniversary here!! (I of course have 8 tons more photos - but just picked a few!)

So right after I joined I chopped like 10 inches to above shoulder because I didn't like the texture.... :rolleyes: and then started to grow again. Here is one of the first length shots after I started growing it back.... (this is probably 2011?)
https://i.imgur.com/rB9LVtZm.jpg

Since then I grew and cut and grew and cut several times over the years (with CBL being about as short as I took it) between damage, or life changes that made me want a drastic change, then I got really serious about ignoring it a little over a year ago.... this photo is right after my last hairdresser cut.

https://i.imgur.com/jEwysvEm.jpg?1

And this is my most recent length shot! (This is air-dried, separated into two portions, and twisted -think barrel roll curl- while its drying to smooth and curl.)

https://i.imgur.com/LSEIO9Rl.jpg

My Natural texture - (pic a few months old) with squish to condish - LOTS of conditioner not rinsed out, then air dried and scrunched - with gel (and scrunch away the crunch or whatever that's called) :

https://i.imgur.com/HT8hAc7l.jpg

and one up-do just for fun... (my layers make them not so neat, but I LOVE THIS STICK - huzzah for swap board goodies!!)

https://i.imgur.com/HtjdooJl.jpg

I always thought that Waist was my end goal (hahahahahahah - all the old timers are laughing at me) and I now have goal creep - to at least hip :D

Quick facts about me and my hair (if anyone cares ;)):
**Yes, my natural color. Hasn't been colored since 2003. (I used to dye it brown!)
**I spend A LOT of time out-of-doors in activities (hiking, biking etc) so have a fair amount of sun bleaching, which counts for damage with my texture for certain.
** I do keep layers, yes they make updos and braids shreddy and messy - but I like them - so that's that.
** I trim myself (including the layers, which I just eyeball) and have been doing Feye's self trim to dust the ends about once every 3 months.
** I sleep with it down or in a very loose braid.
** I'm probably 50/50 on wearing it down and in updos. That creeps more to the updo side the longer it gets just to keep it out of the way and from getting sucked into the seatbelt in the car and jacket zippers etc.
** The hair on the back of my head (crown area and down) exhibits something that looks a lot like pilli torti in the individual hairs (each strand twists and is VERY fragile) not like a curly hair but odd twists and turns. It requires extra care etc.
** Protein treatments rotated out with DCTs on a regular basis have become a must for me. They keep my hair soft and reasonable to work with.
** I don't have any regular products - I use varied things (including Herbal Essences, Shea Moisture, DevaCurl, and biosilk)
** I WCC - with lapushka's ROO routine at each wash in-between the conditions. Jojoba oil is what I've had the best luck with. And clarify every 1-2 weeks (suave clarifying) because I do use cones some and like to finish with a coney serum.
** Regardless of anything else I learn, LWB is my go-to still for just sticking the best. I have been doing braided buns more frequently recently - but I'm sort of boring in the bun department - that's my next goal!

If there's anything else anyone wants to know (I have no idea what that would be!) ask away!!!

Groovy Granny
July 25th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Congrats ~ it looks very pretty :applause:

AmaryllisRed
July 25th, 2019, 10:44 AM
I love the last two pics. Beautiful texture! And your natural highlights are so pretty.
Happy anniversary!

bparnell75
July 25th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Your hair s lovely at present and your bun is great too.

Begemot
July 25th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Happy 9 year hair-a-versary! :bottomsup: :blossom:

Tinyponies
July 25th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Happy 9 years! Love seeing your journey so far. I love these threads too! Thank you for sharing.

Kalamazoo
July 25th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Beautiful!

lapushka
July 25th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Congrats on 9 years, and I had never seen your natural texture before! It looks awesome! :)

spitfire511
July 25th, 2019, 03:23 PM
:flowers: thank you all!! I swear I'd never have gotten here if it wasn't for LHC - and honestly I never thought I was 'meant' to have long hair - when I look at those older pictures I just think it's crazy I didn't do it before now!!

embee
July 25th, 2019, 03:54 PM
You have lovely hair! I am envious, I always wanted soft waves. Boo pout! ;)

Ylva
July 25th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Congratulations on 9 years, your hair is beautiful! :)

g_lou
July 26th, 2019, 01:39 AM
Your hair has such nice shape and body! ( am I using that word right? :confused: :D) and that hairstick goes so well.

YvetteVarie
July 26th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Beautiful hair, I love the texture shot

Sarahlabyrinth
July 26th, 2019, 04:26 AM
Your hair is so lovely! Congrats on 9 years, that's a long time! :D

Stray_mind
July 26th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous. Happy hairiversary! :blossom:

Elizabeth E
July 26th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Nine years is amazing! Your hair looks really happy too :cheer:

zashin66
July 26th, 2019, 02:58 PM
I really like your 'sun highlights'. Your hair journey is lovely thank you for sharing so much of yourself.

Garnetgem
July 26th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Congrats on 9 years..your hair is beautiful...

TatsuOni
July 28th, 2019, 03:51 AM
Congrats! Your hair looks beautiful! :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 28th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful. Enjoy and good luck as you continue on your hair journey.

2gaits
July 28th, 2019, 03:17 PM
You are my hair twin in a couple of those pictures. I had to really look at the one that was right after your salon visit and make sure someone wasn't posting my hair! That was a bit strange seeing my hair but not my hair. Lovely texture,color and growth.

CopperButterfly
July 29th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Congrats on your progress! Your hair looks amazing, I love the texture!

MusicalSpoons
July 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Your hair looks great! I hadn't seen your natural texture before; how often do you wear it wurly? :crush: