PDA

View Full Version : Experience with almond oil?

macyann
July 24th, 2019, 11:00 PM
I'm currently getting ready for bed, letting almond oil soak into my hair overnight. I've heard through here that its one of the more light-weight oils, which I'm praying for as my hair is VERY fine/thin :) I was wondering if anyone else has tried it, what were your experiences and how do you use it?

ChloeDharma
July 24th, 2019, 11:21 PM
I have used almond oil in the past but tend not to these days as all of the brands I find locally are refined. I did find it very softening when I used it though, it left my hair feeling lovely and silky.

macyann
July 24th, 2019, 11:36 PM
What does it mean if oils are refined?? Gosh, I must sound like such a newbie

GrowlingCupcake
July 24th, 2019, 11:39 PM
I use sweet almond oil. I don't know if that's very different?

I do not use it as a pre-poo oil (coconut is my preference for that or I use one of NB's salves). But I use it for ROO, and sometimes in between washes. It's quite light weight (which may be a problem for my ROO xD My hair loves oil so I may need more or to switch to something heavier), and it doesn't weigh my hair down by much; my hair isn't fine but it is easily weighed down my oils, serums, etc.

Just try to wash it out well. I rinse it well under hot/warm water, then massage a conditioner in (I CWC) to help break down some of the oils.

macyann
July 24th, 2019, 11:46 PM
GrowlingCupcake what's ROO?

The-Young-Maid
July 24th, 2019, 11:58 PM
I just recently tried out some Sweet Almond oil. I oil my hair when wet, so just a few drops was plenty. It made my hair very soft, even my SO commented on it. But after the first day it just leaves my hair knotty and crispy. I've just been using it for removing my makeup now. My favorite oil is coconut I use it everyday.

GrowlingCupcake
July 25th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Double post! But Ill use this to explain ROO xD

Thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

ROO is basically when you oil your hair while showering, usually in between one conditioner, and another.

macyann
July 25th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thank you!!!

ChloeDharma
July 25th, 2019, 01:05 AM
What does it mean if oils are refined?? Gosh, I must sound like such a newbie

There's nothing wrong with being new and at the start of learning about these things. All of us were that person at one point! :-)

So when an oil is refined nutrients have been stripped from it. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, like with almond oil, I will still use it if I want to clean off makeup as it's excellent for that. It would probably be great for cleaning the scalp too if you have dry sebum build up. When i do an oil treatment on my scalp I'm looking not just for the lubrication from the fatty acids but also something nourishing so I use unrefined oils with their nutrient content intact. If I were looking for something to just lubricate the hair shaft, like for example the ROO method mentioned, then I'd consider almond oil as I'd be using it for it's fatty acids not it's nutrients. Does that make sense?

If your hair likes it and you are just looking for conditioning qualities then great, continue. I personally find that one oil is never enough for me, I use a selection, usually blending them depending on what my hair and scalp seem to need at that time. The experimenting phase where you get to know different oils is so much fun though, I loved the process and excitement of trying new oils (my bank balance wasn't so keen though! lol). Enjoy the journey :)

macyann
July 25th, 2019, 12:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with being new and at the start of learning about these things...

If your hair likes it and you are just looking for conditioning qualities then great, continue. I personally find that one oil is never enough for me, I use a selection, usually blending them depending on what my hair and scalp seem to need at that time. The experimenting phase where you get to know different oils is so much fun though, I loved the process and excitement of trying new oils (my bank balance wasn't so keen though! lol). Enjoy the journey :)

I see, sounds like I've got a bit of research to do LOL. Next stop is going to be avocado oil for me, I think :)

ChloeDharma
July 25th, 2019, 01:39 PM
I see, sounds like I've got a bit of research to do LOL. Next stop is going to be avocado oil for me, I think :)

I love avocado oil! I use it in my hair, on my skin and to cook with.

NeonPink
July 25th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I've been using sweet almond oil for years now, my hair loves it! Makes it soft and manageable and a lot less frizzy, couldn't recommend it enough

AutobotsAttack
July 25th, 2019, 02:18 PM
I love Almond Oil. It’s super lightweight. I don’t use it as a pre-poo often, but I do deal with it. Locks the moisture in, and still lets my hair be fluffy and not weighed down

lapushka
July 25th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I have used sweet almond oil for years (since age 3 on my face up to age 44), and it is a lovely oil. Very moisturizing but yet lightweight. I have used it on my hair as well. And the link to ROO (oil rinse) is in my signature as well, if you need it. But I now am using different oils for my oil rinse.

macyann
July 25th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Update: after letting the almond oil soak and then washing my hair, I found it had completely no effect on my hair. Actually made it feel kinda dry/crunchy. But, it was just labeled "almond oil", not sweet almond oil so maybe I have to find a new kind :/

lapushka
July 25th, 2019, 05:03 PM
Update: after letting the almond oil soak and then washing my hair, I found it had completely no effect on my hair. Actually made it feel kinda dry/crunchy. But, it was just labeled "almond oil", not sweet almond oil so maybe I have to find a new kind :/

Did it come out the food section? Then you might need "sweet" almond oil (you can't eat that).

macyann
July 25th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Did it come out the food section? Then you might need "sweet" almond oil (you can't eat that).

Haha it did, it was right next to avocado oil though that said something about body on it though so I figured what the heck, I'd try it. Thanks for the advice though, I'll shop around!

MusicalSpoons
July 25th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Just FYI, sweet almond oil is the same as almond oil; the only other type is bitter almond oil which is toxic so if it's sold *any*where is very clearly labelled ;)

Alissalocks
July 25th, 2019, 09:46 PM
I love and adore sweet almond oil and will often soak pre poo for 12 hours up to several days with it. It's lovely!!

For an every day oil, I would use only a drop or two but I saturate by the palmful when pre pooing. :)

milosmomma
July 25th, 2019, 10:08 PM
I've tried both sweet almond(expensive from cosmetic/hair care section) and just almond oil(cheap from food aisle) and although my hair likes them, its likes both and they work completely the same. My advice would be skip trying sweet almond as it will save you money and try out the avocado you have next on your oil list!
I love experimenting with different oils too. If you have an itch for even more oils to try I highly recommend meadowfoam seed. It's supposed to be an in between type oil where it penetrates the shaft and also coats. I use it for roo(rinse out oil) and also just lightly oiling by just coating my hands enough to make shiny and running flat palms over dry hair.
If almond oil didnt work with your hair using it before a wash, you can try it as a rinse out oil, or try it to seal the ends after a wash. Some oils work better at different steps or your routine and the only way to know is experimenting :)

g_lou
July 26th, 2019, 01:13 AM
I really like both almond and avocado oil, mostly I mix them together or I get the crunchies too but avocado is my choice if I do ROO. I actually fine mine in the pharmacy. Have you tried walnut oil?

lapushka
July 26th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Just FYI, sweet almond oil is the same as almond oil; the only other type is bitter almond oil which is toxic so if it's sold *any*where is very clearly labelled ;)

Back when my mom got sweet almond oil for me, it came from the pharmacy and was clearly labeled "not for consumption". So... IDK.

GrowlingCupcake
July 26th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Back when my mom got sweet almond oil for me, it came from the pharmacy and was clearly labeled "not for consumption". So... IDK.

Not all oil is food grade oil, even if you can use it on your skin/hair/etc. So the oil your mother got for you was probably not food grade. It could also have had additives or have not been tested by whatever version of the FDA you had there.

Bitter almond is an entirely different subspecies of almond trees, and it's very clearly labelled toxic (since it is xD).

macyann
July 26th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I really like both almond and avocado oil, mostly I mix them together or I get the crunchies too but avocado is my choice if I do ROO. I actually fine mine in the pharmacy. Have you tried walnut oil?

Not yet! I’m having trouble finding any hair oils around here and I don’t have a credit card to shop online :/ I’ll have to try avocado oil next, since I’ve been hearing good things about it :)