PDA

View Full Version : Do products REALLy prevent breakage?

Thumper
November 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I saw a commercial this morning, and now I forget what the dang product was! Anyways, it said "4% stronger and less breakage" or something like that.

Does these products work to prevent breakage?
What (product) would you recommend to prevent breakage?

HairColoredHair
November 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
My guess is they have protein in them (to make hair stronger! Well, not if your hair doesn't LIKE protein...) and silicone (to coat the hair so it's can't break!)

Meh. I couldn't care less what they say about the product... read the labels, they're all about the same, just different ratios. If your hair likes it... YAY... if not... well... onto the next!

Igor
November 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Well, the way I see it, no

If you compare hair to skin, think about what you do to your hair: Brushing, washing, maybe heat styling. Brushing will scrape your skin, washing will dry it out and heat styling will hurt it. If you apply any product to your skin, will the discomfort or damage be less? No
But where the skin will hurt for a while, then start healing and be fine after a while, the hair has no way of regenerating

So my answer would be…
Prevent: No.
Protect against: Yes, somewhat

Thumper
November 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
There was a fella on The View not long ago, you know when they have those segmants advertising stuff? Well he was talking about a product that guarantees to prevent hair loss (not re-growth) but prevents hair loss.

I wish I could find out more about that one...

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
i believe certain products can help prevent breakage.. garnier fructis length and strength worked really well for me.. i had much less breakage.. however thats partly due to the detangling properties of the stuff.. less tangles usually means less breakage when it comes to my hair..

girlcat36
November 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have to say going OFF products made my hair stronger!

ktani
November 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
There are different kinds of breakage. If you are rough with your hair, no product can prevent the mechanical damage you can cause.

Some conventional products can reduce breakage by helping to detangle (alredy mentioned) or help restore the the acidity necessary to keep hair at its best.

I never thought anything could prevent split ends. While nothing can repair them, catnip used to condition hair has prevented splits for me.

Conventional products used correctly, can help prevent chemical breakage by compensating for chemical services done, to a point.

plainjanegirl
November 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
There was a fella on The View not long ago, you know when they have those segmants advertising stuff? Well he was talking about a product that guarantees to prevent hair loss (not re-growth) but prevents hair loss.

I wish I could find out more about that one...

Have you checked out the view's website? Most of the time shows will have more info on stuff they show on their website.

ChloeDharma
November 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I don't think anything can guarantee no breakage...like has been said, if you are rough with it then it'll break.
I do think some things help reduce friction and (again, like has been said) make detangling easier.
For me, keeping my hair oiled helps to keep breakage down, strengthening treatments like henna help too. In the past, using cones helped too....they suited my hair but i know some people don't get on with them.

Aisha25
November 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I don't think anything can guarantee no breakage...like has been said, if you are rough with it then it'll break.
I do think some things help reduce friction and (again, like has been said) make detangling easier.
For me, keeping my hair oiled helps to keep breakage down, strengthening treatments like henna help too. In the past, using cones helped too....they suited my hair but i know some people don't get on with them.
I'll second what Chloe said, except for me cones did nothing, some made my hairs extremely dry at the ends and I had to drop them completely.

neon-dream
November 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I would say it depends on your particular hair, for some people it will show less breakage, for some it wont
it's trial and error really, if it doesn't work for you, move onto the next one.
xxx

Isilme
November 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
if your hair is dry then it would be a greater risk of breaking it, but if you use a product that gives moisture it can help.