PDA

View Full Version : Buns for fine thin hair

Stormynights
July 22nd, 2019, 06:35 PM
My hair has always been fine but it was pretty thick. Now I have lost so much hair I don't know what to do with it. I need advice from someone with fine hair on how to style it.

macyann
July 22nd, 2019, 10:27 PM
Gosh, I completely get this. I'm not sure how long your hair is, but when my hair used to be pretty long (and after a lot of it fell out), I'd braid it in two Dutch braids and then wrap the ends around my head and pin it down (like a crown). I wore it like this almost every day because it hid how thin my hair was decently and it didnt take too much effort. Since its shorter now and still pretty thin I use a "sock bun" to wear it up for work and it works pretty well. Tinted dry shampoos also help :)

Kalamazoo
July 22nd, 2019, 10:29 PM
Hi Stormynights.

Try looking at the Thesaurus of Hairstyles
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554
Look up the styles that appeal to you on YouTube. There's a tutorial video for everything!

Personally, hairsticks don't stay in for me, unless it's a Chinese Bun. The Neoma Knot looks like it might work for me, too. But I need to stay away from elastics, because even the so-called "Damage-Free" have left little white dots on my strands.

I think bobby pins are the greatest hair toys ever invented! (I found some with just 1 hump instead of the usual 3. I had to buy a bunch of different types of bobby pins, to find what worked best for my hair.)

I also like side combs & EZ Combs with super-long twisted wire teeth.

ETA: Caboki!

Stormynights
July 22nd, 2019, 11:01 PM
Macyann, When I braid my hair most of my braid is very tiny and that is with one bbraid. Thank you for the suggestion but I think my hair is too thin for this.

Kalamazoo. I forgot about side combs, thank you for reminding me and thank you for the link.

CherryFrizz
July 22nd, 2019, 11:38 PM
I find that a nautilus bun doesn't compress my hair, so it looks fluffier. If you have enough length, you can do a double-wrapped one, which would be very secure and extra fluffy.

MusicalSpoons
July 23rd, 2019, 03:27 AM
You may have enough length for a Spock bun, if your stats are up-to-date. Also recommending the Neoma Knot :)

czech it out
July 23rd, 2019, 07:43 AM
Is your length still around 40”? You could try a cinnamon bun, but sort of smash it down with your free hand as you wrap (so it’s more spread out rather than stacked). Then secure with two small clips on either side. My 2 cents!

Nini
July 23rd, 2019, 10:14 AM
I've worn the cinnamon bun with either a stick, curved hairforks or Ficcare Max'es for the last decade plus, when I don't wear a braid. Works very well for me.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2019, 10:49 AM
My mom has i hair now, used to still be i/ii, but she's in her 70s now and it's a whole new journey.

She has shoulder to APL and does a peacock twist with a claw (log roll like with added length). That still works for her the best.

When she was in her 40s she had thick bangs, fiery red hair and wore it in a bee-butt bun daily.

Now it's blonde. :)

bparnell75
July 23rd, 2019, 10:54 AM
My hair has always been fine but it was pretty thick. Now I have lost so much hair I don't know what to do with it. I need advice from someone with fine hair on how to style it.

I am with you Stormy. I do not know how long your hair is, but if it is at least waist you may do the Spock bun. This is exactly why I came up with it. My hair is quite thin. my braids are only about the thickness of my thumb. It exposes some of the hair against your head making the bun look bigger and fuller. you will need a long prong fork. If you do not have one let me know and I will send you one of mine. I am working on the saw today. I will make you one from bamboo.. it is a great medium.

Braid buns are also a good solution. I also use some hair extensions even colored ones to give more thickness.

I do not wear it down. I use Cabooki powder to help cover the thin areas.

Lunasa also has extremely thin hair. You might check with her too.

Stormynights
July 23rd, 2019, 07:36 PM
My braid is about the size of my thumb for about 4 inches then it gets thinner fast so the last ft or so is too thin to braid. This year has been a nightmare so I guess I should be thankful I have any hair. It will take years for it to grow back to what it was even if it does thicken back up. I am 71 so I shouldn't expect much but it still hurts.

Kalamazoo
July 23rd, 2019, 08:06 PM
Has anybody said "Paranda!"?

Lady Stardust
July 24th, 2019, 06:47 AM
My braid is about the size of my thumb for about 4 inches then it gets thinner fast so the last ft or so is too thin to braid. This year has been a nightmare so I guess I should be thankful I have any hair. It will take years for it to grow back to what it was even if it does thicken back up. I am 71 so I shouldn't expect much but it still hurts.

Hugs :grouphug: It sounds like you’ve been through the mill. I hope you’re starting to recover now.

Your hair will thicken up. After the dandelion seed phase when the new growth sticks out everywhere, it’ll start to blend in and then you won’t pay so much attention to it - at least that was my experience following postpartum shed.

The microtrimming thread can be quite an inspiration as you can see the thickness travelling down.

As for your age - of course it still hurts. My mum’s hair thinned a bit in her 70s, I think mainly due to medication, but it didn’t make any difference to the beauty of her hair.

Ladies in their 60s/70s+ with long hair are my inspiration. (I’m 46 so planning ahead, hopefully my hair will be long by then!)

bparnell75
July 24th, 2019, 10:27 AM

I hear your heart. I do not think you would be able to do a Spock bun. But you could do a Gibson tuck, just use soft elastics. Snoods might help too.

Stormynights
July 24th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I have one of those big bows with a small snood attached to put your hair in. That works but I want to be able to use the pretty sticks and forks I bought. I have thought about selling them on the swap board but I just can't stand to see them go. To me they are more valuable than the money I could get.

sumidha
July 24th, 2019, 11:02 PM
French twist maybe?

Stormynights
July 24th, 2019, 11:05 PM
I am about to wear my poor hair out trying different buns to find one that works. I made a parandi today and it is in my hair now. I just don't care for them on me so much. Well I made it with red heart yarn so maybe I need to try some better yarn. I am not giving up on anything yet.

Spikey
July 24th, 2019, 11:35 PM
Paranda also don't have to be yarn, you can make them with ribbons or even silk scarves. I also don't really like the look of yarn in hair, but nice, shiny satin ribbons are lovely. Sometimes I add three different ribbons to my braids, doubled over, and that gives them more heft, plus I think that it looks very pretty, especially if you use colors that you love. I hope you find something that will help you, your hair toys sound wonderful.

embee
July 25th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Here is my go-to bun. Holds all day with one stick. My hair is not thick, is very straight. Fairy tale ends are helpful for tucking in.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21324&page=2&p=1241677&viewfull=1#post1241677

I lost a lot of hair due to thyroid issues. Some came back. Keep your hopes up, I'm a good bit older than you are. :D

Stormynights
July 25th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Embee I just got here to see this. I have an adopted granddaughter that will be here soon and I will try your tutorial after she leaves. I say adopted because she doesn't have a grandmother so I asked her if I could be her grandma. She is 12 and such a delight.

spitfire511
July 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM
I am about to wear my poor hair out trying different buns to find one that works. I made a parandi today and it is in my hair now. I just don't care for them on me so much. Well I made it with red heart yarn so maybe I need to try some better yarn. I am not giving up on anything yet.

:grouphug: stormynights my sister has similar hair and it's very frustrating for her as well - I posted a bun with claw clips in the bun thread today - and while I have a lot more hair, you can do this same thing - like a cinnabun with 4 of the smaller claw clips (the ones that are like the size of a quarter?) I used to do this and put them diagonally across (at like 2 o'clock, 4, 7 and 9) and it held really well.

Also yes - your yarn can make you love or hate a paranda - maybe splurge on one beautiful skein and see if you like it better?

Groovy Granny
July 25th, 2019, 10:30 AM
:grouphug: stormynights my sister has similar hair and it's very frustrating for her as well - I posted a bun with claw clips in the bun thread today - and while I have a lot more hair, you can do this same thing - like a cinnabun with 4 of the smaller claw clips (the ones that are like the size of a quarter?) I used to do this and put them diagonally across (at like 2 o'clock, 4, 7 and 9) and it held really well.

Also yes - your yarn can make you love or hate a paranda - maybe splurge on one beautiful skein and see if you like it better?

I also do the cinnabuns with small & mini claw clips as full or half up buns.
It is a great and pretty way to secure fine/thin hair, and you can fluff your bun out a bit after as well.

Personally I am not a fan of parandas; my hair is just too wispy, so it tangles and is too thick for my hair.

I also do a braided bun, but because I am so fine I make a ponytail first with a clear tie, braid it, pancake it then bun it and secure with claw clips or alligator clips or flexis.

Hang in there Stormy; you'll find a solution :cheer:

Stormynights
July 28th, 2019, 12:38 PM
I have extensions that match my hair but the top where they are sewn together is so thick I can't hide it in my hair. Does anyone know how to hide it?

2gaits
July 28th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Try a sock bun then gather they length and English braid it. Wrap the braid around the sick bun and Bobby pin it to hold. This might work and give the illusion of thicker hair if you do have length to work with.