PDA

View Full Version : Trying to love shampoo bars

Skunklover
July 15th, 2019, 11:10 PM
So I have started to use a shampoo bar and I just can't seem to figure out why it hates me...I do have hard water but have a filtering shower head. I also do an ACV rince. The top of my head to my ears feels perfect and from there down is just straight nasty. Feels really sticky and dries so gross and clumped together like. What am I doing wrong? I know there is a stage of change to go through but this is bad...I have used the bar 3 times.

akurah
July 15th, 2019, 11:13 PM
Shampoo bars won't work for everyone because they can be somewhat alkaline, depending on formulation and brand. If it's a soap-shampoo bar, that could be the trouble. If it's something from LUSH, that mildly surprises me as LUSH shampoo bars are actually just solid shampoo, which I think (should) make them more acidic (my theory could be wrong).

Some questions:
What kind of shampoo bar?
Are you using conditioner after? If so, what kind?
How thoroughly are you rinsing? You may not be successfully rinsing the last bit if its gross below your ears.

Nox_Inber
July 15th, 2019, 11:21 PM
Have you tried clarifying? Is there a chance any prior build up or silicone is interfering?

Skunklover
July 16th, 2019, 03:20 AM
Shampoo bars won't work for everyone because they can be somewhat alkaline, depending on formulation and brand. If it's a soap-shampoo bar, that could be the trouble. If it's something from LUSH, that mildly surprises me as LUSH shampoo bars are actually just solid shampoo, which I think (should) make them more acidic (my theory could be wrong).

Some questions:
What kind of shampoo bar?
Are you using conditioner after? If so, what kind?
How thoroughly are you rinsing? You may not be successfully rinsing the last bit if its gross below your ears.

It's a shampoo bar from a craft fair lol. It does have the ingredients listed. Let me know if that would be of help to also tell you. I have used conditioner once with it and it was the same out come. It was the loreal elvive conditioner in the orange tub. That's what I was thinking so this last time I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. This last time I also clarified prior.

Skunklover
July 16th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Have you tried clarifying? Is there a chance any prior build up or silicone is interfering?

This last time I clarified with Neutrogena. The stuff in the small square clear bottle

Servana
July 16th, 2019, 07:41 AM
I tried using Lush shampoo bars for months and they just didn't work for me. I had the same problem. My conclusion is that they just don't work for me and that's that. Liquid shampoo works great (for my hair) so if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

lapushka
July 16th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Shampoo bars were a disaster for me too. I have hard water. I rinsed after, sometimes I didn't, but my scalp hated it. I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis and so I need a good harsh cleanse, and it seems like a regular sulfate shampoo seems to do that for me pretty well, so I agree with Servana loads, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Nox_Inber
July 16th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Hi Skunklover, is this the conditioner you're using?

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/l'oreal-paris-elvive-extraordinary-oil-conditioner/ID=prod6304716-product

If so I checked the ingredients and it has amodimethicone. From my understanding silicones and shampoo bars don't always get along very well but admittedly I've never tried it. Also the shampoo bar might be heavier than what your hair likes. It could also be a combination of both.

Was your old wash routine working for you? I love shampoo bars but they're a bit of a commitment and usually a good amount of trial and error before you hit the sweet spot. If you're not looking to make a big change up then you might be happier with your prior method assuming your hair was happy with it. If you are looking for a change then there are still plenty of other variables that can be experimented with to get shampoo bars to work :) They're not for everyone but I wouldn't count yourself out yet, especially since you've only tried one bar so far.

sillyme
July 16th, 2019, 03:30 PM
So I have started to use a shampoo bar and I just can't seem to figure out why it hates me...I do have hard water but have a filtering shower head. I also do an ACV rince. The top of my head to my ears feels perfect and from there down is just straight nasty. Feels really sticky and dries so gross and clumped together like. What am I doing wrong? I know there is a stage of change to go through but this is bad...I have used the bar 3 times.

Shampoo bars have never worked for me either. I have tried many different kinds, starting with J.R. Liggett's, then I bought samples of every shampoo bar Chagrin Valley makes, and lastly I tried Apple Valley Bars (https://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/shampoo-bars/)(which I liked the best). Oh, yeah I almost forgot, I've also tried three different kinds of Lush bars. None worked for me. I tried them with vinegar rinse, lemon rinse, no rinse, and with conditioner. We have medium-hard water and a whole-house water filter. However, I've been told water filters will not help with hard water, that only a water softener will help that problem. So, I finally gave up on Shampoo Bars. Can't say I didn't give them a whole-hearted attempt though.

I also went through a similar experience when trying to use sulfate-free shampoos. But that's another long story. ;)

Evidently my fine, straight-ish hair just wants to go the cheap route. It has truly been behaving best with the sulfatey Vo5 Strawberries and Cream shampoo followed with the cone-free matching Vo5 conditioner.

ETA: Mods, I hope I didn't break a rule by putting a link for the Apple Valley site. If I did, feel free to remove it and reprimand me. :whip: I'm still learning.

AutobotsAttack
July 17th, 2019, 02:39 AM
The only shampoo bars that work for me are the ones I come across in Etsy shops, where most of the crafters make their bars with quality picked ingredients, and the fewer ingredients, the better for me personally.

I stay away from most soaps or shampoo bars that are saponified or are derived from salts or salts from fats. I’d much rather have a shampoo bar that has a gentle foaming agent in it, followed by any oils, extracts, or butters. I used one shampoo bar that had natural foaming oat extracts in it, and I absolutely loved it. It didn’t lather up a lot, but just enough to cleanse my hair really well, and didn’t give my hair that squeaky clean, or coated feeling that typical bar soap does.

manticore
July 22nd, 2019, 02:11 PM
Iíve been slowly working through/experimenting with mini sample bars from Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve. My hair/scalp seems to like the Neem&Tea Tree one best so far.

I do only use the bars on the scalp, and clarify with a liquid shampoo every other month or few, plus I always do diluted vinegar rinses after washing.

The water where I live is somewhat hard.

Whether bar shampoo works for you probably depends heavily on the type of bar shampoo youíre using, plus the water where you live, plus the rest of your wash/care routine. Iíve had vastly different results with different bar shampoos.

if you like to experiment then you might find a way to make it work. but it could take a while.

Reservechic
July 22nd, 2019, 06:22 PM
I actually got into trying shampoo bars in order to help with my severe scalp eczema, however, it didn't do much towards helping with that. TI have hard water, but I gunk that if a pride to wires fir my hair, it will work just fine regardless of my having hard water. I honestly find some shampoo bars to be as drying to my hair as a sulfate shampoo. The only shampoo bars that were less drying to my hair were the conditioning shampoo bars that I have tried. One wad from Bobeam and the other was from Chagrin Valley. Oh, and I used conditioner afterwards maybe twice, but it made a major difference on curbing the dryness that my hair feet after using a shampoo bar. Plus, my hair always felt like there was still some sort of residue on my hair from the soap bar, no matter how long I would stay rinsing my hair go try and get it all out. Oh, and ACV is a major no-no for my scalp, plus, I'm not a fan of the snell of ACV, so even if it didn't aggravate my scalp, the smell alone is just too much for me to deal sure on a regular bad us. And, I don't feel comfortable with using baking soda at all on my hair and scalp either as a clarifier. It just is something that has never set well with me. Plus, I didn't see any major benefits from the use of shampoo bars no matter how much I tried sticking euthanasia them. Which is why, I uktimately stopped buying shampoo bars. I don't regret trying them. But, their just not the right for either my hair and scalp, period.

Everything of course isn't going to work the same for everyone. For those that have had success with shampoos bars, I definitely wish them much continued success. However, within anyone's hair journey, it definitely takes trial and error to see what truly does work best for ones hair product-wise. So, for all those that have not had the best luck with shampoo bars, please don't feel down in any way, because of them not working for you. My best advice would be to take this as a lesson learned and move on, towards finding another hair cleansing product that truly is much better suited for your own individual hair needs instead.

Chromis
July 22nd, 2019, 09:53 PM
I love shampoo bars and have used them extensively in both very soft and very, very hard water. (I use real soap bars and not those detergent bars that LUSH sells.)

I dip my length into the acidic rinse before I pour it over my head for a couple of seconds. Not too long, really only about two or three seconds. You might need to play with the ratios of your rinse as well. Extremely hard water will need more ACV/citric acid/lemon/whatever you are using. Soft water won't need as much. Those shower filters have never done much for me honestly. I found in severely hard water I really needed the citric acid (you can find this in the canning section or at beer or cheese-making suppliers or on-line).

You do not need to use baking soda. I don't know where that started and I have seen it a couple of times on the big shampoo bar thread. That is another washing method entirely.

I do recommend cruising over to the big thread though, that's where most of us who actually like shampoo bars hang out!

Beeboo123
July 22nd, 2019, 09:55 PM
The shampoo bars iíve tried were so horrible for my hair. My very long haired cat loves her shampoo bar though!

cjk
July 22nd, 2019, 09:57 PM
A question.

Since you started this thread it's bugged me. "Trying to love shampoo bars" WHY?

I know some like them because of the reduction in packaging, particularly plastics. Is that it? Or is it something else?

Chromis
July 23rd, 2019, 10:43 AM
I find they work better for my hair and scalp. I like buying from small businesses and having less packaging too, but I wouldn't stick with them if they didn't work!

They do have a learning curve though! And of course, like any method, they won't be for everyone. There is no one twue way after all. Sulphates irritate my scalp and fry my length, but loads of people love them. CO washing left me lank, but again leaves others sleek and bouncy. Some of us love coconut oil and others loathe it. And so on and so forth.