PDA

View Full Version : 3B Hairtype Assistance.

venividibxtchy
November 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
My Husband has full, beautiful hair to his neck, that I'd love to spoil with "goodies". I'd say his full hairtype is...3B/M/iii.

He's never had it this long, and I'm really hoping that he'll grow to like it as much as I do. Of course, I'd love his hair whether it was falling out or doing the fandango, but I know firsthand that sometimes a product or two can make the difference between wanting to chop it all off or not. Besides, I'm just totally agog at the idea of slopping things on our heads together and unveiling the results to one another.

He does CO it often, and loves a leave-in. I'm curious, though...how would shea butter or mango butter work for 3B hair? His hair is quite moisturized, but I think that if his curls were more defined, and the flyaways weighted down a bit, he'd like it more. I can see him using a nut butter more than an oil.

What are some good CV shampoo bars for thick, curly hair?

And for a horn/wood comb, I'm looking for more of a rake in terms of tine width?

Any recommendations for this hairtype would be greatly appreciated.

Siava
November 7th, 2008, 08:06 AM
My daughter is 3b/3c, C, iii. If your husband's hair is already moisturized, a butter might be too thick and heavy. To define the curls better, he could try aloe vera gel. My daughter prefers commercial mousse, but the gel works just as well (she likes the smell of mousse better). The main thing I can say about curl definition is he needs to keep his hands OFF of his hair until it's fully dry. That helps keep the frizzies at bay. Also, you can check out www.naturallycurly.com. You'll find some wonderful curl info there, too.

Curlsgirl
November 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
My hair doesn't like shea butter. Yes, don't touch the curls until they are totally dry and also for even more definition, just comb in the shower with conditioner in it and not after you rinse it out. Then just add the leave-in conditioner and let it dry, no combing. Sometimes I will finger comb a bit but that's all if I want good curl clumps. A gel that is very good for clumping in my opinion is KCCC (Kinky curly curling custard). Not sure how he would about a product. I also like LA Looks sports gel, cheap and good. You just scrunch out the crunch after it's totally dry.

I know I am typed as 2C/3A but I have quite a bit of 3B hair.

I hate CV bars too but maybe because of my hard water.

suicides_eve
November 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yes you would be looking for a "rake" like comb lol, i use moose or aloe gel while my hair is still really wet, then uses a towel an blot to absorb the water and what up the excess water and what have you

oh i would also invest in a microfiber towel they absorb excess water with out disturbing the curl to much - Turbie twist is my staple.

girlcat36
November 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I like the CV bars. My hair is 3a/b, but very thin and the CV bars gave it a ton of volume. Maybe you don't want that with such thick hair....:rolleyes:
My favorite Cv bar is lavender rosemary.

manderly
November 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think the technique on biracialhair.org is fabulous for curlies :)

If you're looking for poo bars, CV's Olive & Babassu is the most moisturizing, my hair loves it.

venividibxtchy
November 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thank you for all of your input.

I have a small drawer full of Turbie Twists, but I can't see him wearing one any time soon. Haha. Perhaps, I'll be wrong.

I'm going to make a CV order soon. I'm really curious to try shampoo bars out, for both of us. Does curly hair respond poorly to CA rinses? I can't stand ACV, so that shet does not make it past the front door.

I read somewhere else on the site that BS washes are good for curly hair, as well. That's on the list to try now, too.

That site was helpful, Manderly, thanks. I was surprised by the amount of conditioner that she used; it's definitely worth a try.

GlassEyes
November 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think the technique on biracialhair.org is fabulous for curlies :)

If you're looking for poo bars, CV's Olive & Babassu is the most moisturizing, my hair loves it.
Only if your hair is coarse. Otherwise I'd stay faaaar away from it. I can't reccommend the CV bars either. -_-;;

My hair loves, or loved, CO and then oil, leaving some conditioner in before. Granted, it isn't working at the moment, but it did for a good, long time. I'd recommend that over the biracial technique.

Lady Lilya
November 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
What is CV?

girlcat36
November 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
What is CV?

Chagrin Valley shampoo bars.

I did not have good luck with citric acid rinses.