PDA

View Full Version : Length update and help with updos

2gaits
July 11th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I've managed to grow to bsl length. Longest it has been in years. I usually cut it back in a bob or shoulder length. I've noticed my hair feels really hot at the longer length unless I put it up. I really don't like to take the time to put it up tho. I can do a French or Dutch braid, ponytail, or a type of peacock twist. I've been noticing that any way I put it up tends to pull on the roots and hurt a bit. Any ideas on how to help putting it up and not having a sore scalp? I'm horrible at buns partly because I do have layers but the messy buns I've managed seem to pull also. Any help is appreciated. My hair is fine, a bit wavy and I have a decent amount of hair even though the strands are fine. I'm thinking it pulls because as it is getting longer it is heavier.

Spikey
July 11th, 2019, 02:46 PM
The point of hair sticks and forks is that when used correctly they work much better than hair ties. Rather than all the weight of your bun resting on the top strands of hair your pony/bun's weight is on, a hair stick distributes the weight across your scalp, allowing you to put up massive amounts of hair without pain or discomfort. They're also more secure.

If your hair is to short for forks or sticks still, invest in a ficcare or a knockoff to make your buns with, they do similar things with weight distribution. Or make a braided bun with pins, or a cinnabun with pins. The aforementioned tools are all less damaging than hair ties too. Good luck!

Dark40
July 11th, 2019, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't suggest wearing your hair up all of the time. It can cause friction on your roots. Especially, if you wear it up in the same areas.

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Yup, sticks, forks, flexi-8s, ficcares / knockoffs (you might see them referred to as fakkares), long claw clips, etc. are all good for weight distribution. Oh, also spin pins; the smaller pins are too but usually take a little longer than spin pins or single accessories.

The Hairstyle Thesaurus has lots of inspiration; if you go to the 'buns' section you'll find all sorts and most have tutorials so you can have a play around and see what might work; it takes some investment if time to learn new styles but it's worth it to have a few secure and comfy styles that take under 30 seconds each ;)

I'm not usually physically able to take long putting my hair up, though even if I could I wouldn't want to often anyway, and my buns usually take under a minute (or under 30 secs if I'm not smoothing the ends between wraps) :grin:

2gaits
July 11th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Oh I do have a ficcare clip. I will have to find it. I'm not very good with buns but I guess I will have to try again. I do have some sticks as well. One flexi clip but it is small. Was told it would be the right size but there is no way it can hold all my hair. Looked to upload images but don't see how on here.

Thanks for the suggestions.

elsiedeluxe
July 12th, 2019, 03:57 AM
I recommend the disc bun. I am not yet at APL, and I can do a disc bun with a stick, and it doesn't pull at all. It took some practice to get it right, but now it is my best bun for hot days, and it's very secure and comfortable. There are youtube tutorials, and that's how i learned. There may be others but that's the one that's usually recommended for shorter lengths.

2gaits
July 13th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks. I will search for the disc bun and try it.