PDA

View Full Version : Questions on hair mask

music_v
July 11th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm really happy that I found it. I'm 24.

I have long brown hair that is prone to being greasy. I usually wash it every second day. My question is if I can use hair mask BEFORE shampooing.

I also wish to know if it would be a good idea to leave the mask overnight.

Ylva
July 11th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Yes, you can use a hair mask or a conditioner before shampooing.

There are people who leave masks in overnight, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it just because it's unlikely to give any more benefits than keeping it in for an hour or two would.

MoonRabbit
July 11th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I use my mask before shampooing. Works better for my hair type and I could never get around the idea of getting in the shower, getting out, and waiting another hour to get back in.

As for overnight, not sure, since I never did that with a mask before. I have used an oil soak overnight though without an issue.

Joules
July 11th, 2019, 10:22 AM
I don't do masks before shampooing because I don't think there's any point in it for my hair.

As for leaving it in overnight - I wouldn't try that. A conditioner or a mask is basically just a mixture of different conditioning ingredients that close cuticles and provide anti-static effect. It either works in 20-30 minutes or it doesn't work at all. Soaking your hair in oil overnight is a much better idea imo.

CherryFrizz
July 11th, 2019, 10:32 AM
One potential problem with leaving a hair mask on overnight is that it may dry in the hair, becoming difficult to rinse out.

And, if kept damp with a shower cap or the like, at least my scalp doesn't like to be wet all night, so irritation may occur, depending on your scalp's needs.

Dark40
July 11th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I agree with Joules. I also never use a hair mask before I shampoo. Nor, I leave it in overnight. Because, I really don't see what benefit you are getting. It works better for me to use the mask after shampooing rather than before.

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2019, 03:41 PM
I CWC and usually leave the first C on for an hour or more beforehand, not a mask but still a sort of deep conditioning. I have found a difference between it being on for 30 mins and being on for an hour, though that's just my experience and may also depend on the product. Sometimes I leave it on for a few hours and the outer parts of my hair feel like they've dried but I've never had a problem because of it, although I do use conditioners that normally rinse off fairly easily anyway. I wouldn't leave it on overnight though because my scalp does not like being thoroughly damp for so long (I air-dry my hair overnight but it's loose so my scalp is okay and also dries).

In short, try it out before shampoo and see if it works for you :) However if you particularly want to do an overnight treatment, oils are a better bet.

YvetteVarie
July 12th, 2019, 04:56 AM
I have done both. Use a hair mask before shampooing and leave it in overnight. My hair used to thrive when I did this, especially when I did masks that required heat usage. I think I'll actually go back to doing this.

With hair, everything is YMMV. Some things work well for some, while others will say that is what wrecked their hair.

Crystawni
July 12th, 2019, 06:14 AM
I haven't used a mask pre-poo, but it's my go-to leave in, which means I apply the mask to the lengthy ends of my damp hair on wash day and there it stays until my next wash day (days later). I guess that is pre-poo in a way, then. :p Anyway, my hair is soft, shiny and very manageable with it (acting like freshly cut ends), and nicely hydrated and springy with no stickiness, stiffness or weightiness that I get from adding other products. And yeah, my hair can be greasy (hormonal fluctuations of peri-menopause), but I don't apply the mask to anything else but my length and ends from my face framers, back.

lapushka
July 12th, 2019, 06:16 AM
If it gets oily, I would not leave it in overnight. Chances are it might get on the scalp from the way you keep it up, and that's never good with oily or oilier hair.

I would just do a regular WC, so wash and then leave the mask in for 5 to 10 minutes.

I always just keep conditioner or masks in for 2 min., since I am of the opinion if it's good it should work within that time, and I don't have much time to wash the hair anyway.

I would be careful with oily hair especially.