PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate & Silicone Free Recommendations?

CosmoCat
July 11th, 2019, 01:19 AM
I’ve tried doing searches, but it doesn’t seem to work...just shows me the regular posts. I think, I would like to try going sulfate and silicone free. Does anyone have any favorites that are free of both? I’m loving Shea Moisture and Shea Oil (seems to help), BUT my hair is more dry and it’s either those or the two hennas I’ve done recently. So, I’m thinking about trying this or going back to casual care. Thanks!

Jo Ann
July 11th, 2019, 02:46 AM
I use SM products, too! One thing I had to get used to was that they foam, rather than lather--it took me a while to figure out how much shampoo to use (I get better results if I apply some to the back and top of my hair, rather than the old "pour in hand and smoosh it around" approach). I also find that I don't use as much shampoo if I add some water to the area I'm washing (apply shampoo and add some water [about a handful or so] to the area I'm focused on) to better work up a foam, rather than adding more product.

My hair is dry, so I rotate between the Moisture Retention, Intensive Moisture and Strengthen and Grow lines. I also WCC and use Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration conditioner (which does contain cones) as my second conditioner. Have you checked out the LOC/LCO method (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) after shampooing? I use the SM Strengthen and Grow (JBCO) leave-in conditioner and coconut oil after I shampoo and condition my hair--really helps me lock in the moisture!

MoonRabbit
July 11th, 2019, 10:09 AM
I have been using l'oreal everpure moisture shampoo and TRESemmé Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Do your Shea Moisture products contain protein? If so, that plus the henna might be causing protein overload (henna isn't protein, but the lawsone binding to the keratin in the hair shaft makes it act kind of like a protein treatment). There may be SM lines without protein, I don't know. I'm afraid I have no actual product suggestions for the US - oh, actually, a few of the Garnier Whole Blends conditioners might be silicone-free (certain ones are over here but I can't remember which ones, and the formulation may be different over there anyway).

Siv
July 11th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I tried the Shea Butter range from Body Shop recently, it wasn't bad!

CosmoCat
July 11th, 2019, 01:07 PM
The SM shampoo and conditioner (red palm & cocoa butter) makes my hair lay better...instead of the usual bunching and frizzing of my sides (worst condition hair). I love it for that part, but it seems that the back (best condition hair) is becoming dry...just not silky anymore. I’ve used shea oil as well a few or so times. It’s either those products and/or the henna. The suggestions help, thank you!

S&S
July 11th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Briogeo ! :o

PixieNixie
July 12th, 2019, 03:45 AM
I do love Shea Moisture products specifically the Manuka Honey line. I also love their JBCO leave in but cannot use it daily because it will leave my hair greasy and weighed down, so I switch to their Silicone Free Miracle Styler when my hair needs some moisture between washes. I also have fallen in love with the Not your Mother's line. The ones I have used are protien free and lighter than the Shea Moisture line. I tend to rotate between the two depending on how my hair is feeling.

Dark40
July 13th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I've tried the Loreal Evercreme line, and it doesn't have any sulfates or silicones in it. It works wonders for my hair!

Rubricappula
July 14th, 2019, 02:12 AM
I use Nature Box (http://www.natureboxbeauty.com/en/hair/by-type/shampoo.html) products. They are sulfate and silicone free, smell nice, work well for my hair, don't require me to order them online and they are not overly pricey.

Hexana
July 14th, 2019, 02:44 AM
I use The Maui Moisture brand. Works well but not all of them (I like the bamboo and the Vanilla the most). The Nature box conditioners I tried but the scent was just way to strong for me. I would love to try someday Shea Mosisture, but you can't buy it in my country and if I would order it online I would pay over 20€ for shipping... And that's just too much for me. :(

CosmoCat
July 15th, 2019, 01:30 AM
I like the idea of cones, because my hair is so fine and easily damaged, but I’m tempted to try it without...thanks so much.

Reservechic
July 15th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I really like DevaCurl's No-Poo Decadence, One Condition Decadence, and Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm very much. Also, when I do want to do a quick co-wash, I really like using the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash. These products can honestly be used on any hair type, hair texture, as well as chemically processed or color-treated hair as well.

The DevaCurl products are pricey, but they're truly worth every penny (in my opinion). They do offer starter kits on the DevaCurl website, for anyone that's new to the line. Which is way more economical versus buying the products separately.

lapushka
July 15th, 2019, 03:58 PM
HASK is a popular line. Shea Moisture. Not your mother's. All quite affordable, one more so than the other.

MusicalSpoons
July 15th, 2019, 04:04 PM
HASK is a popular line. Shea Moisture. Not your mother's. All quite affordable, one more so than the other.

Hask has silicones, I'm pretty sure (well, here it does anyway).

EDIT: A quick search shows it actually varies by product; shampoos are less likely to contain silicones, conditioners are more likely. So worth investigating but make sure to check the ingredients on each product under consideration :)

lapushka
July 15th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Hask has silicones, I'm pretty sure (well, here it does anyway).

EDIT: A quick search shows it actually varies by product; shampoos are less likely to contain silicones, conditioners are more likely. So worth investigating but make sure to check the ingredients on each product under consideration :)

Yes it does depend. I have 3 of the conditioners right here.

But you have to be conscious of any brand. Even Devacurl had or might still have silicones.

Wecaun
July 21st, 2019, 05:19 PM
I second the Maui Moisture line. I don't much care for the conditioner (it isn't bad, just nothing special IMHO) but the shampoo practically detangled my hair for me when I was sulfate/cone free! Not to mention all of them smell heavenly.

MamaLou
July 22nd, 2019, 12:42 AM
I like Cantu, it is affordable and it works really well on my hair (it is for curly hair and I have straight hair but it still works). I have the natural hair shampoo and conditioner and I also use their natural hair leave in conditioner cream. I do have to be careful with the leave in conditioner because it is easy to use too much for my hairtype.

I also like Love Beauty and Planet shea butter & sandalwood line. It is a bit more expensive than Cantu but the products are a bit more luxury (the smell is amazing and the package looks really good). I actually use the body lotion from this line as a leave in conditioner and that works surprisingly well.

Kalamazoo
July 22nd, 2019, 01:04 AM
Earthly Delight by Lāfe's.

MamaLou
July 22nd, 2019, 01:38 AM
I like the idea of cones, because my hair is so fine and easily damaged, but I’m tempted to try it without...thanks so much.

If cones work well for you than there is nothing wrong with using them. If you are curious how silicone/sulfate free products will work for your hair than try it. You can always go back if it doesn't work for you. The only correct way to care for you hair is the way that works for you. Good luck <3

GoddesJourney
July 22nd, 2019, 04:11 AM
As far a shampoo, I love the Alba Botanical brand. My favorite is the coconut milk one. It is much gentler than the SLS ones I once used. I mostly CO wash, but I use this once or twice a week because my hair and scalp like it. They put cones in their conditioner though. I remember when I gave up cones my hair was pretty dry and I pretty much had to grow out the damage, unfortunately. Once I got it going though, I was really happy with the new hair and I realized that silicones and SLS were secretly drying it out and limiting my healthy hair length.

If you are coming off cones and growing out damage like I was, you may like a slightly waxier conditioner like Mane and Tail. It helped me deal with damage without causing more damage. Not everyone has problems with cones though, but it it doesn't work for me.

Also, many people find that SLS shampoo works great for them diluted. So if there is one you really like, you can try that. Any shampoo makes me shed a lot in the shower, so I use a gentler one and don't do it every day.

Dutchbraids
July 23rd, 2019, 01:11 PM
VO5 conditioners are silicone and sulfate free. At $0.70 to $0.80 per bottle they are the cheapest I have found. Since I go through a lot of conditioner, this is really inexpensive.
I use the Renpure Originals Argan Oil shampoo. It is sulfate and silicone free, and it works very well for me. It's about $7 for a 32 ounce bottle, and since I don't need very much, the bottle lasts about a month and a half. I buy them at Walmart here in the US. I don't know their availability in other countries.
I highly recommend the all the Renpure products. The conditioner is too expensive for me to buy all the time, but it does work very well. They have a Coconut Cream line that I love as well, but it smells very strange to me, so I don't use it anymore. It worked very well on my hair though.

Silica
July 23rd, 2019, 09:59 PM
Briogeo ! :o
I second this! The entire line is sulfate and silicone free. My favourite so far is the Scalp Revival charcoal and coconut shampoo - keeps my sensitive scalp healthy and smells divine (like mint chocolate ice cream!)

Reyn127
July 24th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Shea Moisture does have a lot of products. I’ve tried a few, and they all work, but there are SO MANY that I haven’t found my favorite line in that brand yet. But there are tons of options. I really love Acure S&C - they work really well for me and have limited synthetic ingredients. Another brand I’ve found is Andalou Naturals, although I’ve only used their conditioners, I’ve really liked them. Although SOME of theirs do have silicones, but most do not.

lapushka
July 24th, 2019, 09:30 AM
I second this! The entire line is sulfate and silicone free. My favourite so far is the Scalp Revival charcoal and coconut shampoo - keeps my sensitive scalp healthy and smells divine (like mint chocolate ice cream!)

As-I-Am do a CO-wash for build-up as well, it's in blue packaging.

sipnsun
August 6th, 2020, 04:26 PM
I rotate between Briogeo, Shea Moisture, Living Proof and Acure. Right now I'm currently using Living Proof and have recently added Garnier Fructis aloe masks to my rotation as well. I have a slight product addiction but hey, there are worse things to be addicted to!

Flowerness
August 6th, 2020, 06:34 PM
If you want a cheaper option, this may sound weird but when I finally finished the Love Beauty and Planet 2 in 1 Shampoo bar (no cones or sulfates) I switched to liquid. I picked up a nice size bottle of Suave for kids. Works great, actually! It is shampoo, conditioner, and body wash with Shea Butter. No cones, sulfates, or dyes. It does have perfume, but I think it smells really nice! Not a ton of lather, and it came in a bottle with a pump. I'm enjoying it so far. I don't typically use 2 in 1 products, but this one and the shampoo bar have turned out awesome. (No cones for me means that I stopped finding spit ends 1 to 2 inches long in my hair! Yikes!)

Rilig
August 17th, 2020, 07:18 PM
Anyone have any recs for someone with fine but curly hair? I currently use RenPure Tea Tree Lemon Sage, but even with how I dilute it to apply it, it feels a bit too heavy and slow to rinse out. I think it might be the 'cones. I CO wash if that matters (plus a purge shampoo as needed).

lapushka
August 18th, 2020, 01:52 AM
Try looking into brands like Shea Moisture or the Mane Choice, or even Not your mother's. In fact I'd recommend the last one.

Rilig
August 19th, 2020, 09:23 AM
The local Target has been kinda sparsely stocked since March, so I ended up getting Maui Moisture Hibiscus lightweight conditioner. Smells nice. We'll see how it handles tomorrow.